Marijuana and Working Out

Benjamin1

Awards
Hello all,

I was curious to know if an occasional joint of pot would disrupt my body's ability to stay defined and build muscle while doing everything else right (Eating, Workouts, Sleep, Hydration, etc.)

If anyone here smokes and would not be shy to answer how it works for you, I'd really appreciate that.

Thank you,
B

Nate007

Awards
Don't smoke myself but have u ever seen Arnold? That guy loved the chronic didn't seem to hurt him. Course he also did A shat ton of roids too so who knows.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
for bulking it is a wonder drug but for cutting its terrible.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think pot should be legalized but that is a discussion for another topic.

With many health benefits that come with weed comes many of the same draw backs as cigs.
Cronic smoke inhalation can cause cancer .Yes even in the herb.

The short-term effects of marijuana include:

Distorted perception (sights, sounds, time, touch)
Problems with memory and learning
Loss of coordination
Trouble with thinking and problem-solving
Increased heart rate, reduced blood pressure

which is a good reason not to smoke if your serious in your fitness goals.

Explanation:

Effects on the Brain
The active ingredient in marijuana, delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol or THC, acts on cannabinoid receptors on nerve cells and influences the activity of those cells. Some brain areas have many cannabinoid receptors, but other areas of the brain have few or none at all. Many cannabinoid receptors are found in the parts of the brain that influence pleasure, memory, thought, concentration, sensory and time perception, and coordinated movement.

When high doses of marijuana are used, usually when eaten in food rather than smoked, users can experience the following symptoms:

Hallucinations
Delusions
Impaired memory
Disorientation

Effects on the Heart
Within a few minutes after smoking marijuana, the heart begins beating more rapidly and the blood pressure drops. Marijuana can cause the heart beat to increase by 20 to 50 beats per minute, and can increase even more if other drugs are used at the same time.Including pre workouts and fat burners.

Because of the lower blood pressure and higher heart rate, researchers found that users' risk for a heart attack is four times higher within the first hour after smoking marijuana, compared to their general risk of heart attack when not smoking.

Effects on the Lungs
Smoking marijuana, even infrequently, can cause burning and stinging of the mouth and throat, and cause heavy coughing. Scientists have found that regular marijuana smokers can experience the same respiratory problems as tobacco smokers do, including:

Daily cough and phlegm production
More frequent acute chest illnesses
Increased risk of lung infections
Obstructed airways

Most marijuana smokers consume a lot less cannabis than cigarette smokers consume tobacco, however the harmful effects of smoking marijuana should not be ignored. Marijuana contains more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than tobacco smoke and because marijuana smokers typically inhale deeper and hold the smoke in their lungs longer than tobacco smokers, their lungs are exposed to those carcinogenic properties longer, when smoking.

What About Cancer?
Although one study found that marijuana smokers were three times more likely to develop cancer of the head or neck than non-smokers, that study could not be confirmed by further analysis.

Because marijuana smoke contains three times the amount of tar found in tobacco smoke and 50 percent more carcinogens, it would seem logical to deduce that there is an increased risk of lung cancer for marijuana smokers. However, researchers have not been able to definitively prove such a link because their studies have not been able to adjust for tobacco smoking and other factors that might also increase the risk.

Studies linking marijuana smoking to lung cancer have also been limited by selection bias and small sample size. For example, the participants in those studies may have been too young to have developed lung cancer yet. Even though researchers have yet to "prove" a link between smoking pot and lung cancer, regular smokers may want to consider the risk.

Other Health Effects
Research indicates that THC impairs the body's immune system from fighting disease, which can cause a wide variety of health problems. One study found that marijuana actually inhibited the disease-preventing actions of key immune cells. Another study found that THC increased the risk of developing bacterial infections and tumors.

For the ladies:
Effects of Exposure During Pregnancy
Several studies have found that children born to mothers who used marijuana during pregnancy exhibit some problems with neurological development. According to those studies, prenatal marijuana exposure can cause:

Altered responses to visual stimuli
Increased tremulousness
Problems with sustained attention and memory
Poor problem-solving skills

Also a new study has shedded some light on smoking both cigs and weed can increase the likely hood of causing schizophrenia if you are born pre disposed to it.

Note I am all for legalization as it has a lower chance of causing problems than whiskey but it still has health risk.At this point it's your choice to decide on if it's a good idea.I layed out the risk and you can weigh the pros and cons now.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
I think pot should be legalized but that is a discussion for another topic.

With many health benefits that come with weed comes many of the same draw backs as cigs.
Cronic smoke inhalation can cause cancer .Yes even in the herb.

The short-term effects of marijuana include:

Distorted perception (sights, sounds, time, touch)
Problems with memory and learning
Loss of coordination
Trouble with thinking and problem-solving
Increased heart rate, reduced blood pressure

which is a good reason not to smoke if your serious in your fitness goals.

Explanation:

Effects on the Brain
The active ingredient in marijuana, delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol or THC, acts on cannabinoid receptors on nerve cells and influences the activity of those cells. Some brain areas have many cannabinoid receptors, but other areas of the brain have few or none at all. Many cannabinoid receptors are found in the parts of the brain that influence pleasure, memory, thought, concentration, sensory and time perception, and coordinated movement.

When high doses of marijuana are used, usually when eaten in food rather than smoked, users can experience the following symptoms:

Hallucinations
Delusions
Impaired memory
Disorientation

Effects on the Heart
Within a few minutes after smoking marijuana, the heart begins beating more rapidly and the blood pressure drops. Marijuana can cause the heart beat to increase by 20 to 50 beats per minute, and can increase even more if other drugs are used at the same time.Including pre workouts and fat burners.

Because of the lower blood pressure and higher heart rate, researchers found that users' risk for a heart attack is four times higher within the first hour after smoking marijuana, compared to their general risk of heart attack when not smoking.

Effects on the Lungs
Smoking marijuana, even infrequently, can cause burning and stinging of the mouth and throat, and cause heavy coughing. Scientists have found that regular marijuana smokers can experience the same respiratory problems as tobacco smokers do, including:

Daily cough and phlegm production
More frequent acute chest illnesses
Increased risk of lung infections
Obstructed airways

Most marijuana smokers consume a lot less cannabis than cigarette smokers consume tobacco, however the harmful effects of smoking marijuana should not be ignored. Marijuana contains more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than tobacco smoke and because marijuana smokers typically inhale deeper and hold the smoke in their lungs longer than tobacco smokers, their lungs are exposed to those carcinogenic properties longer, when smoking.

What About Cancer?
Although one study found that marijuana smokers were three times more likely to develop cancer of the head or neck than non-smokers, that study could not be confirmed by further analysis.

Because marijuana smoke contains three times the amount of tar found in tobacco smoke and 50 percent more carcinogens, it would seem logical to deduce that there is an increased risk of lung cancer for marijuana smokers. However, researchers have not been able to definitively prove such a link because their studies have not been able to adjust for tobacco smoking and other factors that might also increase the risk.

Studies linking marijuana smoking to lung cancer have also been limited by selection bias and small sample size. For example, the participants in those studies may have been too young to have developed lung cancer yet. Even though researchers have yet to "prove" a link between smoking pot and lung cancer, regular smokers may want to consider the risk.

Other Health Effects
Research indicates that THC impairs the body's immune system from fighting disease, which can cause a wide variety of health problems. One study found that marijuana actually inhibited the disease-preventing actions of key immune cells. Another study found that THC increased the risk of developing bacterial infections and tumors.

For the ladies:
Effects of Exposure During Pregnancy
Several studies have found that children born to mothers who used marijuana during pregnancy exhibit some problems with neurological development. According to those studies, prenatal marijuana exposure can cause:

Altered responses to visual stimuli
Increased tremulousness
Problems with sustained attention and memory
Poor problem-solving skills

Also a new study has shedded some light on smoking both cigs and weed can increase the likely hood of causing schizophrenia if you are born pre disposed to it.

Note I am all for legalization as it has a lower chance of causing problems than whiskey but it still has health risk.At this point it's your choice to decide on if it's a good idea.I layed out the risk and you can weigh the pros and cons now.
i dont get it. why did you even bother to post all that stuff up? someone who smokes obviously doesn't notice any of those sides. ive never hallucinated off of weed lol!? and ive never felt delusion? delusion isn't short term lol except for maybe '' i should eat that zebra cake''.

anyone who smokes regularly knows all that is BS.

do you even smoke?

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
i dont get it. why did you even bother to post all that stuff up? someone who smokes obviously doesn't notice any of those sides. ive never hallucinated off of weed lol!? and ive never felt delusion? delusion isn't short term lol except for maybe '' i should eat that zebra cake''.

anyone who smokes regularly knows all that is BS.

do you even smoke?
I have in the past.I quit though.I also love the fact the only thing you pointed out was seeing things.No comment on the heart?

jdarkraget

Awards
For what its worth, I was in the best shape of my life smoking herb 3+ times everyday. Helped my sleep tremendously. Having said that, i wouldnt smoke like that ever again. Effects on thinking/memory were very pronounced.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
I have in the past.I quit though.I also love the fact the only thing you pointed out was seeing things.No comment on the heart?
is this what you are referring to?

Effects on the Heart

that's your big boogeyman?

ECA increases your heart rate similarly. exercise in and of itself will cause this. hell today while i was on the eliptical for an hour and a half my heart rate stayed at 150 and even got up to 202 for a minute before i slowed down. the fact that the blood pressure DECREASES should tell you something. high blood pressure is infinitely more important than a high heart rate

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
I also would like to point out that whether something raises your heart rate or not is dependent upon your fitness level and genetic propensity towards heart issues.

i went to the doctor a couple weeks ago . i took Ephedrine tons of caffeine and smoke cigars every day and my blood pressure was 110/50 and my heart rate was 56.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Arguing with someone who smokes about the risk is like talking to a brick wall.Anywhos,Hope I helped.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
Arguing with someone who smokes about the risk is like talking to a brick wall.Anywhos,Hope I helped.
i do like to smoke. since ive moved out to college, i havent been able to . but i smoke when i can.

i have empirical evidence. you have nothing.

Rak on tur

Rak on tur

Awards
Bro everybody smokes now of days **** but it's the best after a workout if you don't have **** to do b4 bed

liljohn

Awards
I'd have to say its the other way around. I don't smoke but it seems that anyone I know who's against it seems to just think its bad thing and not really educated on why. But there are extremes to both sides, both bad. I for one don't care in my opinion a person should do as they will as long as they arent hurting anyone else.

dirtwarrior

dirtwarrior

Awards
I just discovered the joys of smoking pot again after not using for a long time.
For me it decreases the imflamation pain in my joints

apoxtle

apoxtle

Awards
  • Established
i don't smoke as much as i used to but if i smoke then workout i tend to be more focused on each exercise and am usually in the gym longer. i eat like a horse too

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Here we go again...I thought we covered this topic already. LOL

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
I'd have to say its the other way around. I don't smoke but it seems that anyone I know who's against it seems to just think its bad thing and not really educated on why. But there are extremes to both sides, both bad. I for one don't care in my opinion a person should do as they will as long as they arent hurting anyone else.
exactly. everyone who is against it is only acting off of what they saw in '' reefer madness''.

also everyone who i talk to who is against weed that says '' i used to smoke'' is full of BS. anyone who has smoked for any amount of time knows no one has heart attacks and hallucinations off of weed. you might get a little paranoid from time to time if you're already a paranoid kinda guy. '' CHECK MY PULSE'' lol i been there. its funny.

as far as the other effects like on the lungs, that is attributed to tar and carbon monoxide. that will happen any time anything is combusted and inhaled.

just buy a vaporizer and none of that is of concern.

It is important to remember to smoke recreationally after your work is done. like after an exam or after a hard week of studying or working. don't get intoxicated if you have to study or do something important like drive or take care of your kids. that is irresponsible and can be seen with any drug, not just weed.

as was said, this was discussed ad nauseam in this thread :
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/bulking/74508-marijuana-bodybuilding.html

34 pages worth!

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
as far as the other effects like on the lungs, that is attributed to tar and carbon monoxide. that will happen any time anything is combusted and inhaled.

Even though this topic is on MJ, I also don't really want to add more to this part of the discussion ... but I will, anyways. The above is my biggest problem with smoking weed, and it should be anyone's, really, especially those who are into bodybuilding (I understand not all BBers are about health, but a lot are). Smoking is just so bad for a person on a physiological level ... which is why they should vape if anything. Then, then we are talking. I am very intrigued at some of the possible antibacterial and therapeutic benefits for asthmatic patients of marijuana. I myself have used it multiple times, many times at the onset of what would become a sinus infection, and have warded off sickness.

Lastly, I almost always hallucinate on marijuana, and over half of what I've taken have been mids. I have no idea why I hallucinate... weird neuronal wiring, I guess?

kokobeware2

Awards
  • Established
I tripped once. Wasn't tweaking out bad but it was just minor stuff (stars switching places?) but it was fine. My heart always races on it but I don't care. I haven't smoked in about a year but it's by choice. I like remembering what I just studied and stuff. Idk just me.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
exactly. everyone who is against it is only acting off of what they saw in '' reefer madness''.

also everyone who i talk to who is against weed that says '' i used to smoke'' is full of BS. anyone who has smoked for any amount of time knows no one has heart attacks and hallucinations off of weed. you might get a little paranoid from time to time if you're already a paranoid kinda guy. '' CHECK MY PULSE'' lol i been there. its funny.

It is important to remember to smoke recreationally after your work is done. like after an exam or after a hard week of studying or working. don't get intoxicated if you have to study or do something important like drive or take care of your kids. that is irresponsible and can be seen with any drug, not just weed.

as was said, this was discussed ad nauseam in this thread :
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/bulking/74508-marijuana-bodybuilding.html

34 pages worth!
A big problem with weed is it is unregulated distributed on the streets. Some people may have smoked weed and gotten some crazy side effects like hallucinations...the question you have to ask is what else was in the weed.

apoxtle

apoxtle

Awards
  • Established
A big problem with weed is it is unregulated distributed on the streets. Some people may have smoked weed and gotten some crazy side effects like hallucinations...the question you have to ask is what else was in the weed.
c'mon, this is that whole "this weed was laced" thing from high school. weed can make you hallucinate if you are unacustomed to smoking it and it's really good. who the hell is just going to add something "extra" anyway? especially out of ther own pocket. that is just an ignorant statement

darsh89

darsh89

Awards
ive smoked quite a lot of weed. I think it has some benefits for body buidling, and also some negatives. It does reduce blood pressure and increases vasodilation, which can lead to a wicked pump during a workout. I usually only use it on shoulder or arm days, ive done heavy squats and bench stoned before and its not fun, but higher rep stuff and super sets you can really get in the zone and get an unreal pump. It can increase appetite which is great for post workout. I have never experienced the rapid heart beat, even when paired with high dose caffeine + 1,3 D, but that may just be me. I have friends who have hallucinated from pot. to answer op pot is not gonna hinder your fitness goals unless you let it

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
the only trip i got from canabinoids was when i used that stuff ' spice' or 'k2' whatever you call it. worst 'high' of my life.. the spice lasted hours and i was nauseated out of control which subsequently caused tons of vomiting. but what made me vomit really was my vision turned into lines that were squiggly going vertical. its hard to explain lol

thats not weed though. its some other sht

apoxtle

apoxtle

Awards
  • Established
sounds horrible. not something i'd like to be in the gym on

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
c'mon, this is that whole "this weed was laced" thing from high school. weed can make you hallucinate if you are unacustomed to smoking it and it's really good. who the hell is just going to add something "extra" anyway? especially out of ther own pocket. that is just an ignorant statement
Did I say not to smoke? No. I couldn't care less what anyone does. But this is a valid concern when you buy any product that is illegal. You are going to tell me that not ONE single batch of weed in the entire world has ever been laced with anything, ever? I think you need to use your brain before you call others ignorant.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Hard to use your brain when you are high! :)

apoxtle

apoxtle

Awards
  • Established
Did I say not to smoke? No. I couldn't care less what anyone does. But this is a valid concern when you buy any product that is illegal. You are going to tell me that not ONE single batch of weed in the entire world has ever been laced with anything, ever? I think you need to use your brain before you call others ignorant.
it's not really a valid concern. not any more of a valid concern than people taking grey area steroids or worse. it's just weed. i'm sure at some point someone bought some weed with a suprise in it. seriously dude? you are on a website that will give you advice on how to use prohormones and aas. some potentially dangerous. all in the name of research of course

apoxtle

apoxtle

Awards
  • Established
ripping a b-load before my cottage cheese and milk before bed snack

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
to be fair, there are episodes of episodes or experiences that are what someone would call 'different than normal'

my brother smoked a joint and suddenly found himself in a whirldwind with faces laughing at him.

ive never had that happen to me, in several years of smoking every day with different batches from different people.

recently me and my bud bought a sack of a chick who ( after we had smoked it saw it was different than normal) told us she thought it was laced.

i experienced a serious uplifting mood like cocaine. not typical of weed . you could argue that it was the difference of possibly sativa vs other types of weed, but i dont think thats the case. since a bunch of seasonal smokers saw a huge difference. and ive smoked the absolute finest, as well as some of the worst.

theres just some sacks that don't seem normal. i dont know if they're laced; it's impossible to say.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
it's not really a valid concern. not any more of a valid concern than people taking grey area steroids or worse. it's just weed. i'm sure at some point someone bought some weed with a suprise in it. seriously dude? you are on a website that will give you advice on how to use prohormones and aas. some potentially dangerous. all in the name of research of course
I do not personally smoke marijuana but I have many friends that do. They have told me on two occasions where they have gotten weed that has "****ed them up" in a way that weed really can't. They have been smoking for many years so I trust their judgement that something else was in their product (this is what they claimed not me). Also, at parties, many people find it funny to spike their own weed and offer it to newbs who have never smoked before. Am I saying that this is common? Of course not. If you look at the post that I quoted I said that smoking weed with some light contamination MAY account for the random side effects that some infrequent smokers report. I never said that it was common, only stated that it could account for the random/rare side effects that some people claim weed can cause. You act as if my statement was meant to justify the idea that "no one should be buying for the rare occurrence it may be contaminated". Like I said I do not care who smokes. Put whatever you want in your body.

apoxtle

apoxtle

Awards
  • Established
I do not personally smoke marijuana but I have many friends that do. They have told me on two occasions where they have gotten weed that has "****ed them up" in a way that weed really can't. They have been smoking for many years so I trust their judgement that something else was in their product (this is what they claimed not me). Also, at parties, many people find it funny to spike their own weed and offer it to newbs who have never smoked before. Am I saying that this is common? Of course not. If you look at the post that I quoted I said that smoking weed with some light contamination MAY account for the random side effects that some infrequent smokers report. I never said that it was common, only stated that it could account for the random/rare side effects that some people claim weed can cause. You act as if my statement was meant to justify the idea that "no one should be buying for the rare occurrence it may be contaminated". Like I said I do not care who smokes. Put whatever you want in your body.
and with that i start my ultradrol. lmg, d-plex, gw-501516 monday dude. no hate at all dude, i just doubt the contamination. what would it be in your opinion?

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
and with that i start my ultradrol. lmg, d-plex, gw-501516 monday dude. no hate at all dude, i just doubt the contamination. what would it be in your opinion?
lol im currently running epistane, EC, alpha-t2, and lean xtreme super cut cycle haha. I have no idea what the contamination would be I have never used hard drugs or cared to research all of their effects. Could be anything I suppose.

darsh89

darsh89

Awards
i have smoked weed that was laced before. One time it had crushed up lortab in it and the other time was crushed up aderall. I got retarded off this stuff, i was made aware of what it was laced with after i smoked. This was at a time when i did not buy my own pot and i was still very young. never have i actually bought pot and ever thought it was laced. I would think if it was laced with something one would be able to tell. i will lick my finger after breaking up my bud, if it tastes abnormal, which it never has, then maybe its laced, maybe

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
i have smoked weed that was laced before. One time it had crushed up lortab in it and the other time was crushed up aderall. I got retarded off this stuff, i was made aware of what it was laced with after i smoked. This was at a time when i did not buy my own pot and i was still very young. never have i actually bought pot and ever thought it was laced. I would think if it was laced with something one would be able to tell. i will lick my finger after breaking up my bud, if it tastes abnormal, which it never has, then maybe its laced, maybe
you'd still smoke it though even if it tasted funny.
lol

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
Know who you buy from , plain and simple. You buy off some dirt bag in the park then you take your chances knowingly so don't be suprised

liljohn

Awards
I'm pretty sure this thread is about if weed is good or not for body building not if weed is good or evil

Mattinde520

Awards
Hello all,

I was curious to know if an occasional joint of pot would disrupt my body's ability to stay defined and build muscle while doing everything else right (Eating, Workouts, Sleep, Hydration, etc.)

If anyone here smokes and would not be shy to answer how it works for you, I'd really appreciate that.

Thank you,
B
I know tons of guys that puff before and after gym Seshs. Relaxs the muscles, increases blood flow, and lets you concentrate better and those 'problem areas'. Negatively it may make you more lethargic, increases heart rate, and smoke and anabolism don't mix IMHO. So... I guess if it doesn't wreck your metality (like me, I have schizophrenia so I steer clear of grass) moderation couldn't hurt. Increases appetite to some too so if you wanna get big roll a fatty! Lol just my 2 cents

epstaneman

epstaneman

Banned
Awards
I smoke weed regularly. Never effected my gains. I will say that weed makes me lazy and hungry. While cutting I smoke very far and few in between, because I'll end up too lazy to workout and too damn hungry to stick to a clean eating caloric deficit.

mylo

mylo

Awards
Hello all,

Thank you,
B
lowers test by 40% for ~4 hours after your last puff.

lowers protein synthesis.

lowers motivation.

drugs and lifting DO NOT go together.

maybe you can get away with smoking every now and then like arnold, but me personally i'm 100% lifting, i don't even drink or smoke cigs anymore.

however maybe you can do both, but for me it just kills my motivation and drive... not to mention it kills that anger in me, which i've grown quite fond of.

mylo

mylo

Awards
I smoke weed regularly. Never effected my gains. I will say that weed makes me lazy and hungry. While cutting I smoke very far and few in between, because I'll end up too lazy to workout and too damn hungry to stick to a clean eating caloric deficit.
haha, never had a friend from san antonio who DOESN'T smoke XD

Kinggrommet

Kinggrommet

Awards

lowers motivation.

maybe you can get away with smoking every now and then like arnold, but me personally i'm 100% lifting, i don't even drink or smoke cigs anymore.

however maybe you can do both, but for me it just kills my motivation and drive... not to mention it kills that anger in me, which i've grown quite fond of.
Just curious where you got this information.

mylo

mylo

Awards
Just curious where you got this information.
personal experience, mostly. (speaking on motivation and protein synthesis— took FOREVER to recover after a work out)

and i dug this up for you: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6316036

apparently it lowers them for 24 hours, which i thought was only 4, don't remember where i got that from.

also, being a gaba antagonist it must also lower natural HGH production.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

lowers motivation.

well said. If your serious about bodybuilding it is foolish to consider doing this on a regular basis.

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
I smoke probably once a week, kick back and throw on some Netflix lol great way to spend an off day. Not to mention I sleep like a rock that night so it helps when I occasionally have problems sleeping

epstaneman

epstaneman

Banned
Awards
Fun Fact for you. Marijuana reduces stress. Stress reduces cortisol.

There-go marijuana = Gainzzzzzzzzzzzzz

cheechNchong.jpg