Marijuana and Working Out

Page 2 of 5 First 1234 ... Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin1 View Post
    Hello all,

I was curious to know if an occasional joint of pot would disrupt my body's ability to stay defined and build muscle while doing everything else right (Eating, Workouts, Sleep, Hydration, etc.)

If anyone here smokes and would not be shy to answer how it works for you, I'd really appreciate that.

Thank you,
    B
    I know tons of guys that puff before and after gym Seshs. Relaxs the muscles, increases blood flow, and lets you concentrate better and those 'problem areas'. Negatively it may make you more lethargic, increases heart rate, and smoke and anabolism don't mix IMHO. So... I guess if it doesn't wreck your metality (like me, I have schizophrenia so I steer clear of grass) moderation couldn't hurt. Increases appetite to some too so if you wanna get big roll a fatty! Lol just my 2 cents

2. Banned
    Stats
    5'5"  185 lbs.
    Answers

I smoke weed regularly. Never effected my gains. I will say that weed makes me lazy and hungry. While cutting I smoke very far and few in between, because I'll end up too lazy to workout and too damn hungry to stick to a clean eating caloric deficit.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  213 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin1 View Post
    Hello all,

I was curious to know if an occasional joint of pot would disrupt my body's ability to stay defined and build muscle while doing everything else right (Eating, Workouts, Sleep, Hydration, etc.)

If anyone here smokes and would not be shy to answer how it works for you, I'd really appreciate that.

Thank you,
    B
    lowers test by 40% for ~4 hours after your last puff.

lowers protein synthesis.

lowers motivation.

drugs and lifting DO NOT go together.

maybe you can get away with smoking every now and then like arnold, but me personally i'm 100% lifting, i don't even drink or smoke cigs anymore.

however maybe you can do both, but for me it just kills my motivation and drive... not to mention it kills that anger in me, which i've grown quite fond of.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  213 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by epstaneman View Post
    I smoke weed regularly. Never effected my gains. I will say that weed makes me lazy and hungry. While cutting I smoke very far and few in between, because I'll end up too lazy to workout and too damn hungry to stick to a clean eating caloric deficit.
    haha, never had a friend from san antonio who DOESN'T smoke XD
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  216 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mylo

lowers motivation.

maybe you can get away with smoking every now and then like arnold, but me personally i'm 100% lifting, i don't even drink or smoke cigs anymore.

however maybe you can do both, but for me it just kills my motivation and drive... not to mention it kills that anger in me, which i've grown quite fond of.
    Just curious where you got this information.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  213 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Kinggrommet View Post
    Just curious where you got this information.
    personal experience, mostly. (speaking on motivation and protein synthesis— took FOREVER to recover after a work out)

and i dug this up for you: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6316036

apparently it lowers them for 24 hours, which i thought was only 4, don't remember where i got that from.

also, being a gaba antagonist it must also lower natural HGH production.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mylo View Post

lowers motivation.

well said. If your serious about bodybuilding it is foolish to consider doing this on a regular basis.
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  8. Banned
    Stats
    5'5"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by John Smeton View Post
    well said. If your serious about bodybuilding it is foolish to consider doing this on a regular basis.

Don't be such a square! One puff never killed no body.
  9. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Answers

I smoke probably once a week, kick back and throw on some Netflix lol great way to spend an off day. Not to mention I sleep like a rock that night so it helps when I occasionally have problems sleeping
  10. Banned
    Stats
    5'5"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Fun Fact for you. Marijuana reduces stress. Stress reduces cortisol.

There-go marijuana = Gainzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Name:  cheechNchong.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  6.5 KB
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  216 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mylo

personal experience, mostly. (speaking on motivation and protein synthesis-- took FOREVER to recover after a work out)

and i dug this up for you: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6316036

apparently it lowers them for 24 hours, which i thought was only 4, don't remember where i got that from.

also, being a gaba antagonist it must also lower natural HGH production.
    Thanks for the link homey!
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Answers

In the off-season I partake regularly, but I don't smoke. Having access to dispensaries with a medical card in Colorado really cuts down on a lot of concern about what additional compounds may or may not be found in your product. That said, I don't think Mary Jane and the weight room mix. If you're going to be lifting you need to be focused and intense - I doubt anyone who tells me that they can go to the gym high and squat as heavy as when they are sober. I know no one who has PR'd while stoned.

I think the benefits are the increased appetite while bulking, increased awareness of muscle activation/the mind muscle connection, and conceptual thinking about programming. It's a great time, just save it for after the gym and not right before bed.
    Go hard. Go heavy. Never stop.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  213 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by epstaneman View Post
    Fun Fact for you. Marijuana reduces stress. Stress reduces cortisol.

There-go marijuana = Gainzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Name:  cheechNchong.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  6.5 KB

i think it actually raises norepinephrine levels, which = more cortisol. want a link? x)

sorry i'm kind of busy right now but i can dig one up later on...
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  213 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Kinggrommet View Post
    Thanks for the link homey!
    any time!
  15. Banned
    Stats
    5'5"  185 lbs.
    Answers

i think it actually raises norepinephrine levels, which = more cortisol. want a link? x)

sorry i'm kind of busy right now but i can dig one up later on...

I was just being stupid. I'm sure ALL drugs and alcohol aren't good for body building.

Still not going to stop me from smoking though.
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Answers

Good thread, I personally smoke like everyday, cut or bulk, all I know is it helps to bulk but I hve smoked for a while so I can control munchies. Also I get really good focus at the gym if I choose toke before. but I also think I'd get better gains if I didn't just because of its other effects. But for the original question I think a joint here and there will have no effect on your training or gains.
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Answers

I'll be honest, I stopped reading after the first few posts and just felt like posting my side.

First I will start with I smoke and eat, and i am not posting this to be impressive or gloat, i take this very seriously. My edibles can cripple an average toker due to my extremely high tolerance. I have a personal, professional grower and is top quality. I smoke anywhere from 20 to 50 joints a day and eat between 3 - 5 gluten and sugar free canna cookies daily. This mornin was my first day back to cardio in a long time. It was a medium pace and I lasted 2k. I was out of breath but not struggling.

A study In early 2012. Marijuana vs. cigarette vs. non smoker. Lung function test came back MJ best, non second best, smoker worst. It probably has a minor effect, but that is all, IMO and in my case.

Take it for what you will. I hit one before and after my workout

As for brain function, i do my job this way, with no notice of co workers, no flaws, just quick productive days.

Cheers
    M420
  18. Registered User
    Answers

It ruined a marriage.....dont ask me my opinion.....most wont like it

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    IBE/PHF Boladrol - The Most Potent PH in the World - Available Now!
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Just pointing out the fact that the link provided to pubmed is not an actual study, it's a summary of prior studies (which, are likely from the days of reefer madness) and the guy on page one posting about mj having more tar / carcinogens than tobacco, give me a break dude. I call COMPLETE bull**** there. Let's see your sources, or that **** isnt legit.

Here's my take. I've been lifting since freshman year of highschool (roughly 8-9 years). When I started, I was roughly 110 lbs. Now, 8 yrs later (natural bb no aas or ph) i am sitting at 180 lbs lean. (can see quad seperation, abs / obliques.).. Throughout this time period (the first few years) i smoked occasionally, then through the middle - recently I was smoking quite heavily / regurarly. I can agree with the above posters with a few key points- mj is good for bulking, you can eat and eat and eat, all the time, all day long. It helps you relax (relaxing is key to recovery, right?).. I recently quit smoking pot for my new job and i have to say i have much more mental clarity / focus / drive throughout the day. Not as hungry, but mentally i am better off.
    I love smoking a bowl but i get SO ****ING LAZY. IT IS REDICULOUS.\\

Anyways- you can still smoke and gain, i would just suggest never smoking before the gym, the perfect time would be to take a one hitter or two on the way home from the gym (reduce your nausea and increase your appetite)..

At the end of the day- it's your body, you can do what you want to do. I do believe that smoking will help you gain weight. But I also believe I perform better / have better focus in the gym and in the classroom now that i have quit smoking.. If you can smoke, and control your habit- to the point that you're only smoking a few times a week, after tough workouts and what not- you'll be fine. Just dont be getting high all day every day- you will become lazy, I'm sure.
    Hope this helps

edit: @mylo- why the hell would you want to be angry? one of the things i love most about pot is that after a bowl or two i am so much less uptight about everything, I can just relax, let the small **** go, and not get bothered by insignificant ****. I honestly become a more relaxed, better person when i am high. I just cant be high all the time because i am far too unproductive.
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by aceroni View Post
    edit: @mylo- why the hell would you want to be angry? one of the things i love most about pot is that after a bowl or two i am so much less uptight about everything, I can just relax, let the small **** go, and not get bothered by insignificant ****. I honestly become a more relaxed, better person when i am high. I just cant be high all the time because i am far too unproductive.
    This is a funny addendum due to my personal experience with weed. Prior to it, I was always a highly uptight, "wound-up" kind of guy up through high school. All getting laid did was make me comfortable around girls, otherwise I still was almost constantly stressed out. For about 4 years, after high school, I would smoke pot probably once every 3 weeks or even less frequent. I've been off of it now for a year, but it's surprising to me how much my character has changed. I am no longer phased by small things, and even under pressing circumstances I keep my cool. I know some of this just comes with the territory when you mature, but I suspect weed played a role here. The one thing between weed and me is that I have a strange neuronal wiring such that whenever I smoked I would have very crazy hallucinations, even with mids.
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Answers

I can safely say i've never hallucinated off of mj. the only thing i have had happen is objects appear more bright and shiney..
    you hallucinate off of lsd, and mushrooms, not pot. idk what you're smoking bro, maybe mescaline...?
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Answers

I can safely say i've never hallucinated off of mj. the only thing i have had happen is objects appear more bright and shiney..
    you hallucinate off of lsd, and mushrooms, not pot. idk what you're smoking bro, maybe mescaline...?
    It was pot.
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
  23. Banned
    Stats
    5'5"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Maybe he's just a trippin a**?
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Douchbags cut weed, I have heard from water to windex and beyond. Who knows what he smoked. Again, my amounts are very high. In the beginning when my tolerance was low and I would laugh and eat like mad and was lazy. After you build a tolerance where you can function at almost a normal rate, you don't get the fog, you get focus. You don't get lazy, you get productive. And you don't get stupid, I do my job better now than before, and this is not my opinion. This is actual fact. I am almost always medicated, I wake in the middle of night in major discomfort and smoke 2 to fall asleep pain free. I do everything I did pre MJ the same now. Never tripped, never hallucinated, only smoked myself to sleep a few times.

Let's be straight here. A good chunk of USA deficit is due in part by the waste of money spent targeting Marijuana. Before the USA got stupid, marijuana was grown world wide legally and on US soil. Between the US govt and it's tag team partner Oil companies, they have brainwashed generations into believing Weed is a gateway drug, an addictive drug blah blah blah. Fact of the matter is, it's a plant. One that can be used for quiet a few things, including medicine, fuel, clothing, paper, food, supplements etc. Netflix USA has some pretty mind blowing and uncovering documentaries. Sit down, hit one and watch them. You'll see a different light when you hear both sides!

(ps. I touched it a couple times when younger, only really started in '08. Now it is my sole medication.)
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Answers

I've kind what to try this....however I get random-ed at work......and
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  160 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    Even though this topic is on MJ, I also don't really want to add more to this part of the discussion ... but I will, anyways. The above is my biggest problem with smoking weed, and it should be anyone's, really, especially those who are into bodybuilding (I understand not all BBers are about health, but a lot are). Smoking is just so bad for a person on a physiological level ... which is why they should vape if anything. Then, then we are talking. I am very intrigued at some of the possible antibacterial and therapeutic benefits for asthmatic patients of marijuana. I myself have used it multiple times, many times at the onset of what would become a sinus infection, and have warded off sickness.

Lastly, I almost always hallucinate on marijuana, and over half of what I've taken have been mids. I have no idea why I hallucinate... weird neuronal wiring, I guess?
    Do I think that marijuana is going to have the physiological impacts of other drugs like cocaine, meth, heroin etc.? Nah. What I will say and I don't think I need scientific evidence to prove it is that...

Smoking puts tar in your lungs. That can't be good. Carbon Monoxide makes it where oxygen can't get to where it needs to go. That can't be good. Your body has to metabolize THC and use resources that could be better spent building muscle. That's just a bummer.

I personally just dislike weed. Some people love it and I think that it definitely helps some people in a lot of ways. I would even argue that for a lot of people who like to smoke that it could potentially reduce cortisol levels in the blood which is a great thing.
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by StrikeThree

Do I think that marijuana is going to have the physiological impacts of other drugs like cocaine, meth, heroin etc.? Nah. What I will say and I don't think I need scientific evidence to prove it is that..

Smoking puts tar in your lungs. That can't be good. Carbon Monoxide makes it where oxygen can't get to where it needs to go. That can't be good. Your body has to metabolize THC and use resources that could be better spent building muscle. That's just a bummer.

I personally just dislike weed. Some people love it and I think that it definitely helps some people in a lot of ways. I would even argue that for a lot of people who like to smoke that it could potentially reduce cortisol levels in the blood which is a great thing.

Agree, disagree, agree!

Smoking cigs causes TAR on your lungs due to the amount of other additives to plane tobacco. As posted above. Proven 20 yr Study (USA) cig vs. Non. .marijuana does minimal damage effect , also lung function was top of the list.

I get blood, Emt(heart) analysis and lung X-rays as well as a part of my doctor agreeing to sign my forms. X-rays always come back with. "Lookin good". Blood abviously better now than with Methotrexate, prednasone, Celebrex, naproxine, Lymfimidified, and some others for depression, heartburn anger. Heart rate I control with slow deep breathing sessions (in and out I the gym)

So IMO and the opinion of my doctor. Marijuana is "harmless" to me, and only beneficial.

And as for the cortisol, I say it does. I have quiet a few issues, some I have corrected and some I maintain with MJ (pain, anxiety, adhd,) depression and anger was healed by all the health progression naturally, the Gym and MJ.

iPhone AM.com app
    Appnut 5 Stack
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/215854-8-week-chronic.html
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Answers

I like this discussion.
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider http://facebook.com/pescience
  29. Registered User
    Answers

I doubt it's beneficial to most.
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Medical420

Agree, disagree, agree!

Smoking cigs causes TAR on your lungs due to the amount of other additives to plane tobacco. As posted above. Proven 20 yr Study (USA) cig vs. Non. .marijuana does minimal damage effect , also lung function was top of the list.

I get blood, Emt(heart) analysis and lung X-rays as well as a part of my doctor agreeing to sign my forms. X-rays always come back with. "Lookin good". Blood abviously better now than with Methotrexate, prednasone, Celebrex, naproxine, Lymfimidified, and some others for depression, heartburn anger. Heart rate I control with slow deep breathing sessions (in and out I the gym)

So IMO and the opinion of my doctor. Marijuana is "harmless" to me, and only beneficial.

And as for the cortisol, I say it does. I have quiet a few issues, some I have corrected and some I maintain with MJ (pain, anxiety, adhd,) depression and anger was healed by all the health progression naturally, the Gym and MJ.

iPhone AM.com app
    I agree with this but I'd also say that if you have sensitive lungs you should just use a vaporizer.. (which you don't, clearly, but others may)
    And on another untouched note, (I am pro-herb) the cilia in your throat is damaged by smoke, but they regenerate quickly. I believe it was between 1-2 Weeks before they are back to normal after a smoking break..
    Again fixed by a vaporizer.

But yes I just got back from a brutal training session and one puff of the herb relaxes my nausea.
  31. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Answers

I agree with this but I'd also say that if you have sensitive lungs you should just use a vaporizer.. (which you don't, clearly, but others may)
    And on another untouched note, (I am pro-herb) the cilia in your throat is damaged by smoke, but they regenerate quickly. I believe it was between 1-2 Weeks before they are back to normal after a smoking break..
    Again fixed by a vaporizer.

But yes I just got back from a brutal training session and one puff of the herb relaxes my nausea.

I own and operate an Easy Vape. I would like a Volcano. Very effective. But I still smoke J's and eat. edibles being the best over time Body Pain relief, smoking and Vap being instant pain relief.

My lungs are not sensitive, it is my doctors wishes to monitor. It is mainly because He doesnt know the effects of it on our body. My lung function is in great working order.

I understand people KNOW smoking cigarettes causes damage it our lungs. And I understand the smoke and heat damages tissues. At the same time I know I am only smoking Ultra thin rice paper and dried marijuana. That is it. No added Tar, rat poision and sprays. I believe there is minimal damage being done, I am able to do more now than before. Playing Hockey was the best part, my lungs where great! I am confident in the study done on MJ and lungs.
    Appnut 5 Stack
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/215854-8-week-chronic.html
  32. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.
    Answers

Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
    www.InsaneVeins.com
  33. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  159 lbs.
    Answers

I read only a couple of post and noticed that everyone call marijuana a "drug". Well im not a historian but i believe marijuana was falsely accused of being a abused drug and here is a website if you was to read it about why it became illegal http://www.ozarkia.net/bill/pot/blunderof37.html . Off of my experience it wont kill someone to lay back and relax once in a while, i don't condone using marijuana for bad things but just look at all the good it does.

P.S.- If you think marijuana is bad what do you think about alcohol and all the "good" it does to this world?
  34. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  213 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by CJNator View Post
    I read only a couple of post and noticed that everyone call marijuana a "drug". Well im not a historian but i believe marijuana was falsely accused of being a abused drug and here is a website if you was to read it about why it became illegal http://www.ozarkia.net/bill/pot/blunderof37.html . Off of my experience it wont kill someone to lay back and relax once in a while, i don't condone using marijuana for bad things but just look at all the good it does.

P.S.- If you think marijuana is bad what do you think about alcohol and all the "good" it does to this world?

never said alcohol was good. i'm against both. by the way, marijuana is psychoactive, making it a drug.

not bashing your use of it, but i don't believe it goes well with lifting...
  35. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  213 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by apoxtle View Post
    and with that i start my ultradrol. lmg, d-plex, gw-501516 monday dude. no hate at all dude, i just doubt the contamination. what would it be in your opinion?
    totally off topic bro, but i really recommend the gw on pct!! it fixes your lipid profile, cuts you up nicely, and prevents muscle loss in my experience with it! never used it on cycle so i can't vouch for it like that but i'd imagine it'd best be saved for your most vulnerable moments.
  36. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  159 lbs.
    Answers

never said alcohol was good. i'm against both. by the way, marijuana is psychoactive, making it a drug.

not bashing your use of it, but i don't believe it goes well with lifting...
    Yea know but if i asked the average person they would say weed is bad for you compared to alcohol and i dont really get why people say that. Oh and yea it has nothing to do with lifting but i read something a while back about creatine and marijuana but i dont remember what they said.
  37. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by CJNator View Post
    Yea know but if i asked the average person they would say weed is bad for you compared to alcohol and i dont really get why people say that. Oh and yea it has nothing to do with lifting but i read something a while back about [b]creatine and marijuana but i dont remember what they said.
    It ****ing rocks dude. I can't do pre right now because of caffeine, but pre and MJ is a blast. I would power through **** with crisp form (focus from the weeeeeeed is intense for me)
  38. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Answers

39. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  159 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Medical420 View Post
    It ****ing rocks dude. I can't do pre right now because of caffeine, but pre and MJ is a blast. I would power through **** with crisp form (focus from the weeeeeeed is intense for me)
    I would totally try it but depending on what kind i would probably fall asleep in the middle of an exercise but out of the gym no problem!
  40. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by CJNator

For the record, relying on a historical essay composed by "BudFairy" might not be the best strategy.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Marijuana use... a sin?
    By spatch in forum General Chat
    Replies: 157
    Last Post: 04-13-2011, 12:40 PM
  2. Marijuana???
    By bishop17 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 08-01-2007, 02:57 PM
  3. M1T and marijuana
    By Rhelm60 in forum Anabolics