Any BP experts around here?

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
BP has been hovering around 138/82 (one week's average - taken 3x/day for one week)

I know the Dyastolic (bottom number) is the more important and close to "ok" one but my top number (Systolic) is a bit concerning! :(

Additionally, my pulse/heart rate has been hovering in the 80's. That is also a concern especially since I do cardio regularly

Notes:
I do cardio and weight train and although I do take stims, I do NOT abuse them (AM only pre-w/o)
I take heavy doses of Magnesium + Taurine + Potassium + Ubiquinol
My Sodium intake is Moderate
I eat clean
No Stress other than typical "life"
I am not on anything other than TRT with Erase

SMC USA

SMC USA

Awards
Not an expert but curious .. do you have a record of your BP and pulse from a year or two years ago ?? Baseline ?? While your bp and pulse does seem elevated , not dangerous by any means

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What are your hormone numbers now that you are on TRT? Both T and E? Sodium levels?

Try stopping all stims for a week and see if your numbers dip, some people (Like Myself) just cannot take any stims due to BP.

And for some of the people out there (Like Myself again), you are just genetically predisposed to elevated BP. Your vessels may not have the flexibility of most people out there so when your heart puts pressure on your vessels, they do not dilate as normal.

The stuff that works for me well is pomegranate extract, garlic extract and celery seed.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Stop taking all stims. Doesn't really matter if you're not abusing them, they can still elevate heart rate and blood pressure.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks for the replies.

As ironic as this may sound, my numbers barely change on stims. I was off everything for WEEKS and re-tested.

SMC USA

SMC USA

Awards
Thanks for the replies.

As ironic as this may sound, my numbers barely change on stims. I was off everything for WEEKS and re-tested.
Its possible your BP is just slightly elevated (not uncommon) .. my girl had almost identical BP and pulse and has been the same for 20 yrs, worked out all her life

.. has it ever been lower?? And age is another factor.. (can't see profiles on phone app) ...

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Middle_aged dude here. :)

BP has always fluctuated but pulse is elevated for sure. Not sure when this began as I have not kept up with my pulse in years.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wouldn't be overly concerned with those numbers. You may want to discuss it with your doctor though and work from there. Bp can rise and lower as much as 20 points in a day.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah, that's what I've been reading.

That said, I'm still justifiably concerned though about my resting heart rate pulse, not so much the BP.

For someone who exewrcises as much as I do, remains relatively lean, eats clean/well, and only takes stims at 6am - I should be in the very low 70's in not upper 60's.

I wouldn't be overly concerned with those numbers. You may want to discuss it with your doctor though and work from there. Bp can rise and lower as much as 20 points in a day.

Nate007

Awards
Yeah I would def keep an eye on it. As stated earlier your bp does tend to go up as you get older. Your numbers aren't alarming but they are def elevated.

warsteiner

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, that's what I've been reading.

That said, I'm still justifiably concerned though about my resting heart rate pulse, not so much the BP.

For someone who exewrcises as much as I do, remains relatively lean, eats clean/well, and only takes stims at 6am - I should be in the very low 70's in not upper 80's.
The heart rate is definitely strange. I have high BP and have been taking medication for the last couple of years so it's now at 125/75. I take 3/4 scoop WF at 6am and then have a cup of coffee around midday and that's it for my stims. If I take in any other stims (fat burners or caffeine) then my BP rises to around 135/85 BUT my heart rate stays the same at 60-65.

Def something to keep an eye on and if the heart rate doesn't go down then it may be worth having a word with your doctor.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
138/82 is technically still "pre-hypertensive". However, that's just a stupid label and the difference between it and Stage I hypertension is minuscule. It's not like something magical happens at 140 mmHG systolic. Your body should still ideally be around 115/70ish.

Is this pressure bad? Absolutely over the long term. At that pressure, your blood vessels are taking more of a beating and your heart has to hypertrophy to accommodate. Blood vessel thickening will lead to increased blood pressure, increased blood pressure to more left ventricular hypertrophy, and its a vicious cycle with many possible negative clinical outcomes over the long term, especially when compounded with things like poor lipid profiles.

In short, if you went to your doctors today, they'd tell you to make lifestyle changes (diet, exercise) to try to get that number down. If that didn't work out, some might just go ahead and throw you on on a thiazide diuretic.

EDIT: I'd actually suggest that you might be more concerned about your blood pressure than your heart rate. 80's is higher than we'd expect in a young person, but still technically normal and definitely not unexpected at your size. You've got a lot of mass, and need a lot of cardiac output. Cardiac output = Heart Rate x Stroke Volume. Your stroke volume is relatively fixed, and if anything, hypertension will ultimately decrease that value because a hypertrophied heart is less compliant and therefore can accomodate less fluid. That means heart rate will necessarily climb to keep that cardiac output stable.

EDIT#2: I just read that those numbers are taken 3x/day for a week. This is unlikely to be "transient". Even high-stress states typically resolve pretty quick in terms of blood pressure. When is the last time you check your BP? There are many possible explanations. However, a major one we consider when a person who is middle-aged or older starts to notice a sudden increase in BP despite an otherwise normal routine, with no additional stress or changes otherwise, is that there is some stenosis of a renal artery that is finally approaching a hemodynamically significant degree. I'd suggest stopping any and all supplements you're on if you're taking any at all and seeing how that effects things. You'll also want to talk to your primary doc.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good stuff fellas - Thank you