24hrs of heightened muscle sensitivity after working out

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Enhanced Amino Acid Sensitivity of Myofibrillar Protein Synthesis Persists for up to 24 h after Resistance Exercise in Young Men

We aimed to determine whether an exercise-mediated enhancement of muscle protein synthesis to feeding persisted 24 h after resistance exercise. We also determined the impact of different exercise intensities (90% or 30% maximal strength) or contraction volume (work-matched or to failure) on the response at 24 h of recovery. Fifteen men (21 ± 1 y, BMI = 24.1 ± 0.8 kgm−2) received a primed, constant infusion of L-[ring-13C6]phenylalanine to measure muscle protein synthesis after protein feeding at rest (FED; 15 g whey protein) and 24 h after resistance exercise (EX-FED). Participants performed unilateral leg exercises: 1) 4 sets at 90% of maximal strength to failure (90FAIL); 2) 30% work-matched to 90FAIL (30WM); or 3) 30% to failure (30FAIL). Regardless of condition, rates of mixed muscle protein and sarcoplasmic protein synthesis were similarly stimulated at FED and EX-FED. In contrast, protein ingestion stimulated rates of myofibrillar protein synthesis above fasting rates by 0.016 ± 0.002%/h and the response was enhanced 24 h after resistance exercise, but only in the 90FAIL and 30FAIL conditions, by 0.038 ± 0.012 and 0.041 ± 0.010, respectively. Phosphorylation of protein kinase B on Ser473 was greater than FED at EX-FED only in 90FAIL, whereas phosphorylation of mammalian target of rapamycin on Ser2448 was significantly increased at EX-FED above FED only in the 30FAIL condition. Our results suggest that resistance exercise performed until failure confers a sensitizing effect on human skeletal muscle for at least 24 h that is specific to the myofibrillar protein fraction.

Bish83

Awards
I think that study has been around for a while or at least there was another one that suggested similar. If you keep looking your probably find the carbohydrate study which shows that your muscles don't close its doors to carbs so to speak until around the 3 day mark after a workout. I think Dorian Yates was the one who only carb'd up every 10 days...

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So much for the BRO-LOGIC 1 hour pwo anabolic window lmao

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wonder what it would look like if the athletes didnt train to failure

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So much for the BRO-LOGIC 1 hour pwo anabolic window lmao
It was science taken out of context and turned into a commercial adventure. Even the guy that did the studies, Dr. Ivy, got into the supplement market after it took off.

That is the question that hopefully a future researcher looks into as a follow up.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
surprise surprise huh?

Vomit

It was science taken out of context and turned into a commercial adventure. Even the guy that did the studies, Dr. Ivy, got into the supplement market after it took off.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good looking out Rodja ;)

Dr. John Ivy, chairperson of the Department of Kinesiology and Health Education in the College of Education at The University of Texas at Austin, has spent the past thirty years looking at simple, healthy options for building strength, endurance and muscle mass. What he has discovered is that timing is everything.

For decades, serious athletes as well as hard-pushing weekend warriors have searched for the holy grail of exercise nutrition, following one trend after another in an effort to capture the magic formula that increases strength, endurance and lean muscle mass.

Conventional wisdom in the late 1960s and early 1970s pointed to carbo-loading as a way to super-saturate muscles with carbohydrate and fuel cross-country skiers as well as long-distance runners and endurance cyclists. For strength athletes, that paradigm was flipped on its head and protein intake was stressed.

With each new wave of information and fad-following, the one element that often seemed to be missing was strong, conclusive scientific substantiation.

When Ivy, a world-renowned expert on the role of nutrition in exercise performance, began to study the maximization of physical performance, his research concentrated on the cellular level and a somewhat overlooked element of nutrition—timing. His goal was to explain, in scientific terms, why an athlete sees particular effects when she supplements at specific times with certain nutrients.

When you exercise,” says Ivy, “the muscles become very sensitive to certain hormones and nutrients, and you can initiate many highly desirable training adaptations if you make sure the correct nutrients are present. This increased sensitivity of the muscles only lasts for a limited length of time, so the element of time becomes absolutely crucial. If you miss this window of opportunity, there’s no way you can stimulate the muscle adaptations to that extent until after the next bout of exercise.”
Someone's intelligent reply (on another board).......

If you actually crack the Nutrient Timing book by Ivy & Portman, and if you actually take a look at the studies relied on this that book, you will note something that the authors neglected to tell the reader: Most of those studies were conducted on subjects who underwent overnight fasting and then they were later subjected to training protocols that were specifically designed to deplete glycogen.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good looking out Rodja ;)

Someone's intelligent reply (on another board).......
I've pointed that out a couple of times. While there is nothing wrong with training fasted (I did it today), it does change the game. A fasted person is going to be more sensitive to insulin regardless of training. A fasted, glycogen-depleted endurance athlete is going to be able to suck up a metric assload of glycogen and, in this scenario, quick-digesting carbs are ideal. However, the application of this to 99% of people of this board is limited.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
While there is nothing wrong with training fasted (I did it today), it does change the game.
You utilize BCAAs during these fasted training sessions?

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Curious as well...........?

According to the limited reading Ive done thus far on IF, for MORNING training, BCAA's are suggested

I just began my IF to see how I respond.

(Previous Night Food cut off/Fast commences at 7:15pm)

Wake 6am 10g BCAA (2:1)
Train 6:15-7am
Post Training (7am): 10 BCAA (2:1)
9:00 am 10 BCAA (2:1)
11:00 am Meal #1
1:00 pm Meal #2
4:00 pm Meal #3
7:00 pm Meal #4 (Stop Eating by 7:15pm)

Some Notes
*I Train in the AM 5 days/week
*Split is 3 on, 1 off, 2 ON, 1 off
*One Off day = Cardio; the other Off Day = OFF
*I do Cardio at 6pm 5 days a week as well (I do a pre/peri/post BCAA drink of 15 BCAA)

Metabolism blows so Macro's are approx:
200 P, 100 F, 75 C -Training Days
200 P, 125 F, 25 C -NON-Training Days
One Mild/Moderate Binge DAY (I go hypocaloric next day to offset any "damage")

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'll have to look this up at work, but didn't this paper look into people who didn't train to failure? Looks like there are four groups, 90% Work Matched (90WM) and 30% work-matched (30WM), and 90% to failure (90FAIL) and 30% to failure (30FAIL). I would assume the WM groups do "as much work" as the FAIL groups, but I'd have to actually read the paper to inquire further. It would seem then that this paper's findings suggest the benefit is best only for the FAIL groups.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'll have to look this up at work, but didn't this paper look into people who didn't train to failure? Looks like there are four groups, 90% Work Matched (90WM) and 30% work-matched (30WM), and 90% to failure (90FAIL) and 30% to failure (30FAIL). I would assume the WM groups do "as much work" as the FAIL groups, but I'd have to actually read the paper to inquire further. It would seem then that this paper's findings suggest the benefit is best only for the FAIL groups.
FWIW if we look at HIT protocols, which are basically the only templates that have people train to failure, their volume is usually much less than that of other programs, even of powerlifting programs. And so I don't know then that the work a WM group put in would really elicit similar results to a FAIL group ... like I don't think they're equivalent at all. But I haven't read the study, again. And that's from a person like me who doesn't really know the "numbers game" behind volume. I read a little about it in one Westside book and in a book by Dave Tate and got a little lost ... seemed like Dave just waved his hand and I just nodded at some point, lol.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I used them at about 12PM and trained at about 1:30. I would usually eat breakfast at about 10AM and I slowly moved my first meal back to later in the day. Irritability has been a tad higher, but it's been manageable. All I'm doing right now is working and training, so I can experiment with more things.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A LOT of "accepted" truths like this were created by supplement companies. You NEED this product at THIS time or else you will fail.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
I think that study has been around for a while or at least there was another one that suggested similar. If you keep looking your probably find the carbohydrate study which shows that your muscles don't close its doors to carbs so to speak until around the 3 day mark after a workout. I think Dorian Yates was the one who only carb'd up every 10 days...

dorian yates is the focking man.

Legacyfighter

Legacyfighter

Awards
  • Established
I think it would still be increased for 24 hours or more, but it would become more reliant on total volume.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Was Dorian a low carb guy!?!? If so, I had no idea.

I think Dorian Yates was the one who only carb'd up every 10 days...