Anybody find it hard to eat as soon you wake?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Anybody find it hard to eat as soon you wake?

This has always been a problem for me ecspecially when on a strict lifting diet so im curious if anybody has the same issue and any tips or tricks theyve used to get over it. usually it takes me up to 2 hours after waking up to get an appetite where I don't have to choke down my food and that's what I have to do anyhow in order to stay on a full eating schedule for the day and fit it in through daily routine.

2. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator

I simply have no time to eat before I train at 4:00AM

Fasted training with a BCAA pre/intra.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Do you find it effects your strength any?
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

If u fast train ita not gonna affect ur strength if u provide propped nutrition throughout ur day. May be the 1st week will be hard but the human body adapts to changes
  5. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator

Out of necessity I have always trained fasted. I train bodybuilder style with various periodization strategies. For me strength is not really effected by any pre workout nutrition but rather by daily caloric intake. I adjust my daily caloric intake according to my goals.

In regard to BCAA's, I simply use them because they are predigested and quickly assimilated and available to support protein synthesis and a positive nitrogen balance going into my training. I cannot say I would attribute them directly to an increased strength but I cannot say that it doesn't either, as I have always used them in this fashion.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.

I had to start doing the same thing as David due to time. I do 5g bcaas upon waking and go to the gym. However, when I get home I'm ready to eat he entire kitchen haha. Strength is unaffected.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.

Why not slam a P-shake? Make it with a reduced amount of liquid if you dont want any "food volume". Throw in some fat/oils if you need calories. I used to make coffee flavored p-shakes back in the day and would sip on it while reading the paper.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg313 View Post
    This has always been a problem for me ecspecially when on a strict lifting diet so im curious if anybody has the same issue and any tips or tricks theyve used to get over it. usually it takes me up to 2 hours after waking up to get an appetite where I don't have to choke down my food and that's what I have to do anyhow in order to stay on a full eating schedule for the day and fit it in through daily routine.
    A-Minds HYPE-SLAYER! All posts & feedback are guaranteed to be unsolicited and legit
    "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom & instruction"
    Proverbs 1:7
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Definitely something to consider. As I get older I find training later in the day is becoming a drag. Now If I can drag my ass outa bed a couple hours earlier and get motivated ;-) What pre/intra do you recommend? Something with no stims or at least minimum caffeine would be great. Recent heart issue was a bit alarming so I'm tryin to be careful.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.

Ooooo I began working out 1st thing AM years ago for the same reason or forget it!

Takes a few weeks to get used to it. It did for me. Now I've been doing it for years. It's also nice to not have to deal with the punk kids.

I'm not the person to ask about pre-w/o drinks as I havent been impressed by any of them or they have all sorts of artifical fillers I dont want. These days, 200 mg caffeine, BCAA's and ALCAR do the trick just fine for me.

Like you, I despise breakfast. I train "fasted" anyway so I make a jug of BCAAS (adding creatine as needed) and slam 1/3rd ASAP, take to gym and sip throughout workout. when Im finished training, I slam a p-shake.

I dont eat my first FOOD meal until 10am (I wake up at 6).

Definitely something to consider. As I get older I find training later in the day is becoming a drag. Now If I can drag my ass outa bed a couple hours earlier and get motivated ;-) What pre/intra do you recommend? Something with no stims or at least minimum caffeine would be great. Recent heart issue was a bit alarming so I'm tryin to be careful.
    A-Minds HYPE-SLAYER! All posts & feedback are guaranteed to be unsolicited and legit
    "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom & instruction"
  10. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

I typically don't eat for 2-3 hours after I wake up in the morning. The same applies to post-WO; I'll drink some WPI and eat some fruit; but an actual meal takes awhile since I'm usually both gassed and nauseous.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Whacked
    Ooooo I began working out 1st thing AM years ago for the same reason or forget it!

Takes a few weeks to get used to it. It did for me. Now I've been doing it for years. It's also nice to not have to deal with the punk kids.

I'm not the person to ask about pre-w/o drinks as I havent been impressed by any of them or they have all sorts of artifical fillers I dont want. These days, 200 mg caffeine, BCAA's and ALCAR do the trick just fine for me.
    I quit trying PWOs awhile back cus they made me feel like crap. Lately I've been doing BCAAs, creatine and then a black coffee on the way to the gym (before my heart attack). I like that alot better but I'm a bit concerned about the caffeine now since its a vasoconstrictor. I'm not familiar with ALCAR.
  12. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    I typically don't eat for 2-3 hours after I wake up in the morning. The same applies to post-WO; I'll drink some WPI and eat some fruit; but an actual meal takes awhile since I'm usually both gassed and nauseous.
    You are almost nauseous after every work out?
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
    www.InsaneVeins.com
  13. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronJP1 View Post
    You are almost nauseous after every work out?
    Yes, training for maximal strength will do that to you.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.

I'd ask your doc what his thought are on any amounts of caffeine and how this might affect you. Not something to play around with.

ALCAR: Acetyl-L-Carnitine. See the 3 links below (NON-stim energy supps). It may provide some solid sensible options for you.

Stim free energy boost

NON stim energy boost

non-stim energy supps?

Now Brand makes a supplement called Energy. It has a laundry list of non-stimulating "energy" vitamins/minerals and only has 50 mg of caffeine but it has all sorts of adrenal gland ingredients and the typical herbal adaptogens and pick-me-ups (rhodiloa,etc). I've used it to get off my stim-addiction. it packs a very mild punch but for a stim junkie to say that, Im sure it's golden to those who have not abused. It might be a very healthy alternative option for you.

I quit trying PWOs awhile back cus they made me feel like crap. Lately I've been doing BCAAs, creatine and then a black coffee on the way to the gym (before my heart attack). I like that alot better but I'm a bit concerned about the caffeine now since its a vasoconstrictor. I'm not familiar with ALCAR.
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.

Do you notice a leaning effect from not doing the typical slamming of calories logic employed by most? I sure do.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  223 lbs.

True dat.

A whey shake about a half hour after I wake is typically the only thing my stomach gets for a little while.
  17. Registered User

Not much of a desire to eat nor cook breakfast first thing in the morning so I do a nice protein shake with 60 grams of protein and around 700 calories. Once I get to work, I eat scrambled eggs and some yogurt and maybe some sausage (usually around 2 hours after waking up). Seems to work nicely for me.
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.

If I had time to eat in the morning, I'd have a 6 egg omelet every damn day. I could eat 24/7. It really is a miracle I'm not 500 lbs.

I train fasted as well. 5:30 AM. I'll do a protein shake around 7:30 then Greek Yogurt w/fruit around 9:00.
  19. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Whacked View Post
    Do you notice a leaning effect from not doing the typical slamming of calories logic employed by most? I sure do.
    It helps. I pretty much only eat when I am hungry and that can vary from 3-7 meals/day (depending on the training day, food selection, etc.).
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  20. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg313
    Instant oats cures this for me, 3 scoops (150 grams) is the equivalent of 5 or 6 bowls of oats to get the carbs in and couple of scoops of protein to get the protein in and focus on eating the protein later on, M.
  21. Registered User

Why not slam a P-shake? Make it with a reduced amount of liquid if you dont want any "food volume". Throw in some fat/oils if you need calories. I used to make coffee flavored p-shakes back in the day and would sip on it while reading the paper.
    I agree, I usually make a protein shake with oats in it to give me some fuel, then i make a double shot coffee with no sugar, works well for me!
  22. Registered User

I agree, I usually make a protein shake with oats in it to give me some fuel, then i make a double shot coffee with no sugar, works well for me!
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.

Sadly, I'm still stuck in the drinking the kool aid mantra of 6 small meals a day.

I'm trying to forgo this mentality as I realize it's flawed (claims about ramped up metabolism etc); but this style of eating is so engraved in me I'm hungry every 3 hours. This is NOT due to insulin/sugar flux as Im a low carber. Then when I eat more protein or more fat, I get bloated and tired (yes, even with healthy fats) and lazy. for whatever reason, this eating style works for me despite the science negating its value/benefits. Oh well. if it aint broken....

Two things I've successfully done away with over the years that has served me very well with zero discernable detriment to my physique or strength :
    1) Carbs/Food prior to training
    2) Carb-ups post training

It helps. I pretty much only eat when I am hungry and that can vary from 3-7 meals/day (depending on the training day, food selection, etc.).
  24. Registered User

I'm another that finds it hard to eat upon waking which is 6am for me. So as others have mentioned a quick protein shake and a banana. Then about 2 hours later it's my normal steak and brown rice, and the meals continue until macros are hit.
    "Dont worry about the burn man! You can do Jane Fonda classes if you want the burn"
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Whacked
    Sadly, I'm still stuck in the drinking the kool aid mantra of 6 small meals a day.

I'm trying to forgo this mentality as I realize it's flawed (claims about ramped up metabolism etc); but this style of eating is so engraved in me I'm hungry every 3 hours. This is NOT due to insulin/sugar flux as Im a low carber. Then when I eat more protein or more fat, I get bloated and tired (yes, even with healthy fats) and lazy. for whatever reason, this eating style works for me despite the science negating its value/benefits. Oh well. if it aint broken....

Two things I've successfully done away with over the years that has served me very well with zero discernable detriment to my physique or strength :
    1) Carbs/Food prior to training
    2) Carb-ups post training
    I get tired and lazy with the constant eating every 3 hours. I feel lighter on my feet and I'm a lot less bloated when I eat only when I start to feel hungry or do lighter snacks between meals. Even just a shake between meals gets me all bloated feeling. It could be time to switch up protein brands and try something new but this practice keeps me in the 230-235 lb range and I lift heavier with ease opposed to when I eat less and drop 10 lbs or so , I lift less but I look better less bloated and my clothes fit nicer. I just don't get the "your got huge" comments from people as much. Gotta say my ego likes that ;-)
  26. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator

I get tired and lazy with the constant eating every 3 hours. I feel lighter on my feet and I'm a lot less bloated when I eat only when I start to feel hungry or do lighter snacks between meals. Even just a shake between meals gets me all bloated feeling. It could be time to switch up protein brands and try something new but this practice keeps me in the 230-235 lb range and I lift heavier with ease opposed to when I eat less and drop 10 lbs or so , I lift less but I look better less bloated and my clothes fit nicer. I just don't get the "your got huge" comments from people as much. Gotta say my ego likes that ;-)
    Screenshot this post and print and post it where ever you need it to remind yourself. Pay attention brother. Quit being a slave to this 'thing' and live a life. I recall someone recently had a wake-up call. "Mike - call holding on line one!"
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by David Dunn
    Screenshot this post and print and post it where ever you need it to remind yourself. Pay attention brother. Quit being a slave to this 'thing' and live a life. I recall someone recently had a wake-up call. "Mike - call holding on line one!"
    Very true, thanks for pointing that out. Sometimes its hard to break a routine and change it up for fear of losing what youve worked so hard (and paid) for. To much pushing a strict eating/lifting regimen and not enough listening to what my body really wants/needs in order to reach my goals. Definitely a call to rework things and hit the fitness routine from a different angle. I've already started weeding out and changing the things that bring on stress in my life that lead to my heart attack, and this "thing" as you say, is something else that needs that attention. Back to the drawing board!
  28. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator

You are not alone. I have to keep this 'thing' in check as it can take the life out of living if I let it. Be well.
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by David Dunn
    You are not alone. I have to keep this 'thing' in check as it can take the life out of living if I let it. Be well.
    Very much so a balance of doing too much or too little and adjusting it all with age as it seems. Be well as well ;-)
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

I don't find it harder, but I guess as you pointed out I'm younger so that probably has some effect. Habits would, too, I imagine, as I grew up eating breakfast and so have continued this tradition. I wonder if maybe you eat so late at night that it has an effect on your morning appetite? Except for workout days, the last meal I eat is usually around 7-8pm, so when I'm ready to eat at 7am I'm feeling very hungry.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. how hard is it to find test e?
    By AK4lyfe in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-13-2011, 04:50 PM
  2. Why is DHT so hard to find!
    By Parrrish in forum Supplements
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-13-2009, 08:08 AM
  3. Hard to wake on T-1 Pro
    By deaconbill in forum Supplements