cutting carbs makes me sluggish - AnabolicMinds.com

cutting carbs makes me sluggish

  1. New Member
    warren123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    82
    Rep Power
    75

    Reputation

    cutting carbs makes me sluggish


    Hey guys, I recently started cutting and have decreased my carb intake. I just finished a shoulder workout and am home and feel very sluggish and tired. I know this could be a cause of it, I wanted to post what I've been eating and see where I'm going wrong or if I just have to deal with it.

    5'11 200
    Multi+fish oil+vitamin d daily

    Diet now is:

    Breakfast:

    Either 5-6 egg whites, 2 slices turkey bacon+oatmeal
    OR
    oatmeal+half banana+whey

    Snack:

    Snack bar, 180 calories 10g protein. some nut type thing.
    1 string cheese

    Lunch:

    Lean mean(chicken or 93/7 beef) with small amount of rice+veggies in tortilla (100 calorie tortilla 9g protein)

    Snack:

    Greek yogurt+nuts

    PWO: protein bar(180 calories, 20g protein 2 carbs) and post workout I'll have another shake, if I don't lift and do cardio I won't have the shake

    Dinner:

    Lean meats, small amount of rice+veggies

    I've cut out milk from my diet, I was eating cereal before bed which loaded me up on sugar and carbs which I've stopped doing since I'm taking in less calories.

    So on lifting days I'm only really adding another protein shake which gives me about 280-300 extra calories.

    Non lifting days i'm taking in about 2200 calories with around 190g protein and minimal carbs (the rice I eat is a very small amount) and lifting days I've just been adding a protein shake post workout. I just had pb&j on bread as I feel like I just am craving carbs.

    Anything I should change or recommendations? Maybe I should eat 3-4 meals a day instead of constantly.

  2. Elite Member
    Whacked's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,468
    Rep Power
    481978

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    If you are efficient at burning carbs (which you seem to be by your post), cutting carbs will give you some initial feelings of tiredness. You're dieting so your k/cal (ingested energy) is lower so expecting less energy is logical. No one said dieting was easy

    Adding some coffee or an exotic stim WILL HELP you and assist you in your goal of burning fat as will MANY other supps discussed on this board. USE THEM!

    Regarding how many meals you should eat per day....depends on the individual. For me, going more than 3 hours without food makes me realllly pissy. LOL. If all this frequent eating is a burden, cut it down to 3+ a PWO meal if you'd like. The longer I am in the game, the more I realize accept that there are simply so many ways to "diet" it's nuts.

    PS: I think your idea of curting out the garbage pre-bed is a solid one regardless of your goals.

    PSS: Get some more HEALTHY fatty acids in your diet!

    Good luck.
    A-Minds HYPE-SLAYER! All posts & feedback are guaranteed to be unsolicited and legit
    "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom & instruction"
    Proverbs 1:7
  3. New Member
    warren123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    82
    Rep Power
    75

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Whacked View Post
    If you are efficient at burning carbs (which you seem to be by your post), cutting carbs will give you some initial feelings of tiredness. You're dieting so your k/cal (ingested energy) is lower so expecting less energy is logical. No one said dieting was easy

    Adding some coffee or an exotic stim WILL HELP you and assist you in your goal of burning fat as will MANY other supps discussed on this board. USE THEM!

    Regarding how many meals you should eat per day....depends on the individual. For me, going more than 3 hours without food makes me realllly pissy. LOL. If all this frequent eating is a burden, cut it down to 3+ a PWO meal if you'd like. The longer I am in the game, the more I realize accept that there are simply so many ways to "diet" it's nuts.

    PS: I think your idea of curting out the garbage pre-bed is a solid one regardless of your goals.

    PSS: Get some more HEALTHY fatty acids in your diet!

    Good luck.
    Thanks bro. Yeah, it is what it is I guess. I don't mind it, I enjoy seeing my bodys response to different things but picking up a slight cold and taking a nap mid day isn't normal for me right now. Just have to get used to it and I will up my fatty intake a bit since the carbs are down, good looks on that and I am the same way as you lol if I don't eat or sleep I become a grumpy monster lol.
    •   
       

  4. Elite Member
    Whacked's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,468
    Rep Power
    481978

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    LOL

    Careful with upping your fat intake TOO MUCH.

    It's a balancing act of calories. EFA's assist you in being satiated and with fat-burning but are highly caloric so pick and choose/be wise about your intake.

    Im a low carb guy so the more the merrier for me as that is my main fuel source. Apples and oranges here b/c you are a carb burner.
    A-Minds HYPE-SLAYER! All posts & feedback are guaranteed to be unsolicited and legit
    "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom & instruction"
    Proverbs 1:7
  5. New Member
    warren123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    82
    Rep Power
    75

    Reputation

    I didn't mean I was going to down a gallon of olive oil lol! Thanks for the help though, i'll just push through this.
  6. Elite Member
    Whacked's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,468
    Rep Power
    481978

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    ...........
    A-Minds HYPE-SLAYER! All posts & feedback are guaranteed to be unsolicited and legit
    "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom & instruction"
    Proverbs 1:7
  7. New Member
    IronMan14's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    48

    Reputation

    Add more healthy fats peanut or almond butter, olive oil, almonds, etc.
  8. New Member
    warren123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    82
    Rep Power
    75

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by IronMan14 View Post
    Add more healthy fats peanut or almond butter, olive oil, almonds, etc.
    Yeah I did just that, I use olive oil with my eggs in the morning and chicken at night and have peanut butter during the day and throw some nuts in my greek yogurt. Thanks.
  9. New Member
    ilovechoclate's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  184 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Age
    27
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    107

    Reputation

    Listen to your body. If your feeling sluggish then up your carbs. You'd be surprised just how much carbs you can consume and STILL loose weight.

    Other routes you can go are increasing your fats and/or consuming PLENTY of green leafy vegetables such as broccoli, spinach, salad etc.


    Circle your carbs around your workout.....may even want to take out that banana and sub it for something slower digesting just to keep the sugar levels more steady.
  10. New Member
    warren123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    82
    Rep Power
    75

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by ilovechoclate View Post
    Listen to your body. If your feeling sluggish then up your carbs. You'd be surprised just how much carbs you can consume and STILL loose weight.

    Other routes you can go are increasing your fats and/or consuming PLENTY of green leafy vegetables such as broccoli, spinach, salad etc.


    Circle your carbs around your workout.....may even want to take out that banana and sub it for something slower digesting just to keep the sugar levels more steady.
    I've been feeling much better the last day or so. If I feel weak I'll give myself a little and have some post work out if needed. Thank you.
  11. New Member
    Gokmog's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  153 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    177
    Rep Power
    505

    Reputation

    Question


    Quote Originally Posted by warren123 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IronMan14
    Add more healthy fats peanut or almond butter, olive oil, almonds, etc.]
    Yeah I did just that, I use olive oil with my eggs in the morning and chicken at night and have peanut butter during the day and throw some nuts in my greek yogurt. Thanks.
    I'm sorry, I haven't reviewed your life but I'm wondering what's wrong with the yolks of your eggs? If you're reducing calories from carbs, and fats, why not just accept the free calories already included in your egg whites? Yolks also have vitamins, minerals, phospholipids and even some protein! And here's the best part: you're already getting them, free.
  12. New Member
    warren123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    82
    Rep Power
    75

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Gokmog View Post
    I'm sorry, I haven't reviewed your life but I'm wondering what's wrong with the yolks of your eggs? If you're reducing calories from carbs, and fats, why not just accept the free calories already included in your egg whites? Yolks also have vitamins, minerals, phospholipids and even some protein! And here's the best part: you're already getting them, free.
    It's funny you mention that, I've been using 2 eggs included with breakfast with the yolks the past few days, good looking out.
  13. New Member
    Gokmog's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  153 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    177
    Rep Power
    505

    Reputation

    What about the rest of the yolks? They also include free cholesterol, which your body has to synthesize for itself anyway! My only gripe with common, non efa-3 (DHA/EPA) eggs is how they contribute to the EFA imbalance if I'm obsessing over fats. But not anything else in common eggs. Maybe arachidonic acid if there was a problem with inflammation.
  14. New Member
    ilovechoclate's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  184 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Age
    27
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    107

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Gokmog View Post
    What about the rest of the yolks? They also include free cholesterol, which your body has to synthesize for itself anyway! My only gripe with common, non efa-3 (DHA/EPA) eggs is how they contribute to the EFA imbalance if I'm obsessing over fats. But not anything else in common eggs. Maybe arachidonic acid if there was a problem with inflammation.



    I don't shun away from eating whole eggs. They include some fats and healthy amino acids. I just limit the whole eggs to egg white ratio.

    Sounds like your really looking into things deep....must be hell to enjoy anything you eat lol


    I used to be real hard on myself too and strict as hell....I'm more easy go's it and consistent now-days.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Cutting out Squats makes me Stupid?
    By AlexParty in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 04-24-2009, 08:00 AM
  2. Cutting, no carbs?
    By someguy1984 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-24-2008, 07:33 PM
  3. cutting carbs?
    By ucanes23 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-21-2008, 04:57 AM
  4. cutting carbs
    By swtnycboy in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-30-2007, 12:50 PM
  5. PWO carbs while cutting
    By Jeffrw in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-20-2006, 09:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in