cutting carbs makes me sluggish

warren123

Awards
Hey guys, I recently started cutting and have decreased my carb intake. I just finished a shoulder workout and am home and feel very sluggish and tired. I know this could be a cause of it, I wanted to post what I've been eating and see where I'm going wrong or if I just have to deal with it.

5'11 200
Multi+fish oil+vitamin d daily

Diet now is:

Breakfast:

Either 5-6 egg whites, 2 slices turkey bacon+oatmeal
OR
oatmeal+half banana+whey

Snack:

Snack bar, 180 calories 10g protein. some nut type thing.
1 string cheese

Lunch:

Lean mean(chicken or 93/7 beef) with small amount of rice+veggies in tortilla (100 calorie tortilla 9g protein)

Snack:

Greek yogurt+nuts

PWO: protein bar(180 calories, 20g protein 2 carbs) and post workout I'll have another shake, if I don't lift and do cardio I won't have the shake

Dinner:

Lean meats, small amount of rice+veggies

I've cut out milk from my diet, I was eating cereal before bed which loaded me up on sugar and carbs which I've stopped doing since I'm taking in less calories.

So on lifting days I'm only really adding another protein shake which gives me about 280-300 extra calories.

Non lifting days i'm taking in about 2200 calories with around 190g protein and minimal carbs (the rice I eat is a very small amount) and lifting days I've just been adding a protein shake post workout. I just had pb&j on bread as I feel like I just am craving carbs.

Anything I should change or recommendations? Maybe I should eat 3-4 meals a day instead of constantly.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you are efficient at burning carbs (which you seem to be by your post), cutting carbs will give you some initial feelings of tiredness. You're dieting so your k/cal (ingested energy) is lower so expecting less energy is logical. No one said dieting was easy ;)

Adding some coffee or an exotic stim WILL HELP you and assist you in your goal of burning fat as will MANY other supps discussed on this board. USE THEM! ;)

Regarding how many meals you should eat per day....depends on the individual. For me, going more than 3 hours without food makes me realllly pissy. LOL. If all this frequent eating is a burden, cut it down to 3+ a PWO meal if you'd like. The longer I am in the game, the more I realize accept that there are simply so many ways to "diet" it's nuts.

PS: I think your idea of curting out the garbage pre-bed is a solid one regardless of your goals.

PSS: Get some more HEALTHY fatty acids in your diet!

Good luck.

warren123

Awards
If you are efficient at burning carbs (which you seem to be by your post), cutting carbs will give you some initial feelings of tiredness. You're dieting so your k/cal (ingested energy) is lower so expecting less energy is logical. No one said dieting was easy ;)

Adding some coffee or an exotic stim WILL HELP you and assist you in your goal of burning fat as will MANY other supps discussed on this board. USE THEM! ;)

Regarding how many meals you should eat per day....depends on the individual. For me, going more than 3 hours without food makes me realllly pissy. LOL. If all this frequent eating is a burden, cut it down to 3+ a PWO meal if you'd like. The longer I am in the game, the more I realize accept that there are simply so many ways to "diet" it's nuts.

PS: I think your idea of curting out the garbage pre-bed is a solid one regardless of your goals.

PSS: Get some more HEALTHY fatty acids in your diet!

Good luck.
Thanks bro. Yeah, it is what it is I guess. I don't mind it, I enjoy seeing my bodys response to different things but picking up a slight cold and taking a nap mid day isn't normal for me right now. Just have to get used to it and I will up my fatty intake a bit since the carbs are down, good looks on that and I am the same way as you lol if I don't eat or sleep I become a grumpy monster lol.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
LOL

Careful with upping your fat intake TOO MUCH.

It's a balancing act of calories. EFA's assist you in being satiated and with fat-burning but are highly caloric so pick and choose/be wise about your intake.

Im a low carb guy so the more the merrier for me as that is my main fuel source. Apples and oranges here b/c you are a carb burner.

warren123

Awards
I didn't mean I was going to down a gallon of olive oil lol! Thanks for the help though, i'll just push through this.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
........... :p

IronMan14

Awards
Add more healthy fats peanut or almond butter, olive oil, almonds, etc.

warren123

Awards
Add more healthy fats peanut or almond butter, olive oil, almonds, etc.
Yeah I did just that, I use olive oil with my eggs in the morning and chicken at night and have peanut butter during the day and throw some nuts in my greek yogurt. Thanks.

ilovechoclate

ilovechoclate

Awards
Listen to your body. If your feeling sluggish then up your carbs. You'd be surprised just how much carbs you can consume and STILL loose weight.

Other routes you can go are increasing your fats and/or consuming PLENTY of green leafy vegetables such as broccoli, spinach, salad etc.

Circle your carbs around your workout.....may even want to take out that banana and sub it for something slower digesting just to keep the sugar levels more steady. ;)

warren123

Awards
Listen to your body. If your feeling sluggish then up your carbs. You'd be surprised just how much carbs you can consume and STILL loose weight.

Other routes you can go are increasing your fats and/or consuming PLENTY of green leafy vegetables such as broccoli, spinach, salad etc.

Circle your carbs around your workout.....may even want to take out that banana and sub it for something slower digesting just to keep the sugar levels more steady. ;)
I've been feeling much better the last day or so. If I feel weak I'll give myself a little and have some post work out if needed. Thank you.

Gokmog

Gokmog

Awards
Add more healthy fats peanut or almond butter, olive oil, almonds, etc.]
Yeah I did just that, I use olive oil with my eggs in the morning and chicken at night and have peanut butter during the day and throw some nuts in my greek yogurt. Thanks.
I'm sorry, I haven't reviewed your life but I'm wondering what's wrong with the yolks of your eggs? If you're reducing calories from carbs, and fats, why not just accept the free calories already included in your egg whites? Yolks also have vitamins, minerals, phospholipids and even some protein! And here's the best part: you're already getting them, free.

warren123

Awards
I'm sorry, I haven't reviewed your life but I'm wondering what's wrong with the yolks of your eggs? If you're reducing calories from carbs, and fats, why not just accept the free calories already included in your egg whites? Yolks also have vitamins, minerals, phospholipids and even some protein! And here's the best part: you're already getting them, free.
It's funny you mention that, I've been using 2 eggs included with breakfast with the yolks the past few days, good looking out.

Gokmog

Gokmog

Awards
What about the rest of the yolks? They also include free cholesterol, which your body has to synthesize for itself anyway! My only gripe with common, non efa-3 (DHA/EPA) eggs is how they contribute to the EFA imbalance if I'm obsessing over fats. But not anything else in common eggs. Maybe arachidonic acid if there was a problem with inflammation.

ilovechoclate

ilovechoclate

Awards
What about the rest of the yolks? They also include free cholesterol, which your body has to synthesize for itself anyway! My only gripe with common, non efa-3 (DHA/EPA) eggs is how they contribute to the EFA imbalance if I'm obsessing over fats. But not anything else in common eggs. Maybe arachidonic acid if there was a problem with inflammation.

I don't shun away from eating whole eggs. They include some fats and healthy amino acids. I just limit the whole eggs to egg white ratio.

Sounds like your really looking into things deep....must be hell to enjoy anything you eat lol

I used to be real hard on myself too and strict as hell....I'm more easy go's it and consistent now-days.