carbs before bed or not??

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established
So I use to always have carbs before bed because I couldn't gain one oz. That's not the case anymore. So obviously I stopped carbing at bed time because it suppose to shut down gh. Now im hearing otherwise. What's the verdict guys?

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What science indicates that carbing before bed reduces GH pulse?

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established
What science indicates that carbing before bed reduces GH pulse?
Yea something like you body can't produce gh and also the carbs turn straight to fat. Now recently I read I think on this site that a bit of carbs ours you in a deeper sleep which deep sleep norm associated with gh. So what's the dealio?

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There is a direct discussion over this topic on the Leangains.com website. Research indicated no real impact on fat gains when eating large carb meals at night.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Does anybody use the search function anymore?

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I literally ate 1000g of carbs and went to bed 10min later last night..LOL It was GLORIOUS.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
1. Your avatar is my screensaver. Kudos on that.

2. Slowly but surely the carbs before bed sticking to your stomach myth is dying. If trying to lose body fat it may even be beneficial to place the majority of carbs at night time.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If your a hard gainer or if you worked out LATE and need to refill glycogen stores, cool. Still not a huge fan though.

It simply cannot make logical/practical sense to eat (OVER EAT) a substance just before sleep that will the ellicit the release of the storage hormone (insulin) which inherently fascilitates fat accumulation. Although insulin is considered anabolic, it can only be anabolic when other variables are at play.

Also, the GH-release being blunted by insulin levels is just a physiologial fact as insulin and GH are antagolistic/adverserial. I have not read the thread referenced above but it simply cannot be good to adversly impact natty GH levels for significant reasons beyond just fat loss/gain (proper sleep, recoverry/healing to name a few) .

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If your a hard gainer or if you worked out LATE and need to refill glycogen stores, cool. Still not a huge fan though.

It simply cannot make logical/practical sense to eat (OVER EAT) a substance just before sleep that will the ellicit the release of the storage hormone (insulin) which inherently fascilitates fat accumulation. Although insulin is considered anabolic, it can only be anabolic when other variables are at play.

Also, the GH-release being blunted by insulin levels is just a physiologial fact as insulin and GH are antagolistic/adverserial. I have not read the thread referenced above but it simply cannot be good to adversly impact natty GH levels for significant reasons beyond just fat loss/gain (proper sleep, recoverry/healing to name a few) .
The studies simply don't back this up. Numerous studies have shown benefits to eating late in the day compared to earlier, but the vast majority of the literature points to know significant difference on meal timing.

http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2011/07/carbohydrates-past-6pm-will-make-you.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21475137

While I'm not suggesting one should go carb crazy (I'm a constant proponent of low carb throughout the day), the literature does not back up the myth of carbs before bed "sticking" to the stomach.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well touche haha :p

Thanks for posting the studies, but every few years new studies come out debunking old therories and then re-establish new "old theories" years later again then get reversed again lolol

While such "evidence" is compelling at times, I don't put a ton of stock in these anymore. I try to remain sensible in my approach and interpretation to these studies as well. Everything changes - just depends who's deep pockets are backing which studies at any given time LOL

We do this all the time on this board alone (go back and forth and then back and forth AGAIN)

To name a few just off the top of my head.....

Maximum protein ingestion per meal 30g verses 100g (lol)
Low fat verses Low carb for fat loss
Protein/Aminos pre-cardio or not
Carbs PWO are anabolic or are they useless PWO for anabolism
Eating every 2-3 hours for anabolism and/or fatloss now it's popular to do 12 hour fasts
Estrogen is required for muscle mass gains or not
High levels of Protein ingestion lead to kidney failure or not
Sodium is the devil vs sodium is healthy and needed for bb'ers
Steroids cause prostate cancer or not
Which form of creatine is the best
Saturated fats are great for you vs they are bad for the heart

The same topics shall always remain, it's the conclusions that are in constant flux.
Additionally, for every study FOR the argument at hand, you can typically find another in stark opposition. Which author do you believe?

It all just gets old.

The studies simply don't back this up. Numerous studies have shown benefits to eating late in the day compared to earlier, but the vast majority of the literature points to know significant difference on meal timing.

http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2011/07/carbohydrates-past-6pm-will-make-you.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21475137

While I'm not suggesting one should go carb crazy (I'm a constant proponent of low carb throughout the day), the literature does not back up the myth of carbs before bed "sticking" to the stomach.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well touche haha :p

Thanks for posting the studies, but every few years new studies come out debunking old therories and then re-establish new "old theories" years later again then get reversed again lolol

While such "evidence" is compelling at times, I don't put a ton of stock in these anymore. I try to remain sensible in my approach and interpretation to these studies as well. Everything changes - just depends who's deep pockets are backing which studies at any given time LOL

We do this all the time on this board alone (go back and forth and then back and forth AGAIN)

To name a few just off the top of my head.....

Maximum protein ingestion per meal 30g verses 100g (lol)
Low fat verses Low carb for fat loss
Protein/Aminos pre-cardio or not
Carbs PWO are anabolic or are they useless PWO for anabolism
Eating every 2-3 hours for anabolism and/or fatloss now it's popular to do 12 hour fasts
Estrogen is required for muscle mass gains or not
High levels of Protein ingestion lead to kidney failure or not
Sodium is the devil vs sodium is healthy and needed for bb'ers
Steroids cause prostate cancer or not
Which form of creatine is the best
Saturated fats are great for you vs they are bad for the heart

The same topics shall always remain, it's the conclusions that are in constant flux.
Additionally, for every study FOR the argument at hand, you can typically find another in stark opposition. Which author do you believe?

It all just gets old.
You're allowed to believe whatever you wish to believe, but the science simply doesn't back up the carbs before bed. I haven't seen one remotely credible study that says otherwise. Broscience is very prevalent on this board and others. Are carbs before bed going to make one fat? Well people can do or believe whatever they wish. The scientific studies done on the subject undoubtedly say no.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Geo:

Sure you even read the study you so passionately defend?

Problem #1: "This study was designed to investigate the effect of a low-calorie diet with
carbohydrates eaten mostly at dinner"

There was NO mention of a hypocaloric environment! There was also NO mention that there was a limited carb ingestion throughout the day. This dynamic changes EVERYTHING wouldn't you say?

Problem #2: "Further research is required to confirm and clarify the mechanisms by which this
relatively simple diet approach enhances satiety, leads to better anthropometric
outcomes, and achieves improved metabolic response, compared to a more
conventional dietary approach"

When your scientific "proof" has opening statements like this in its conclusion, me thinks the "proof" needs further..........."proof". As an aside, the study severely lacks more quality "controls" for the participants as well.

Besides these points which we could argue all day long, what you label as ''Broscience'', I call endocrinology and physiology. I could literaly post thousands of studies on how GH release is adversely affected by insulin release (directly and indirectly) but what's the point. If the very laws of endocrinolgy do not supercede random studies for you, nothing will convey the reasoning needed here.

Just as you so eloquently suggested for me to believe what I wish, similarly, feel free to drink the kool aid like the rest of the masses.

This thread is about failing to see the forest behind the trees. When you can prove to me that insulin does NOT antagonize GH-relase, you win, until then, this thread is a waste of bandwidth.

Again, in a hypocaloric environment, theoretically, you could eat a BIG MAC before bed and lose weight.

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established
1. Your avatar is my screensaver. Kudos on that.

2. Slowly but surely the carbs before bed sticking to your stomach myth is dying. If trying to lose body fat it may even be beneficial to place the majority of carbs at night time.
Ha thats awesome. Bane is my fav. Yea Idk there is no clear answer still.

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established
I deff feel like I fall asleep faster n deeper with carbs. But ill prob just stick to leafy greens before bed. I mean I can easily get all my calories in during the day so why bother. If I do miss a meal I wont feel bad eating before bed though. At the end of the day though I mean how much of a difference in gains are we talking when get into these different debates we're probably arguing about fractions of a percent in total muscle gain difference. Kinda silly LOL...

Idk the more scientific studies I read the more everything seems to contradict. To me bodybuilding is more of an art than a science. Cuz as stated studies are constantly going back n forth all the time. It gets exhausting LOL.

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How about this: If you really must have a large dose of carbs right before you go to bed, then why don't you just pin some GHRH and GHRP just before going to bed and eat anyways? I'm the kind of guy that looks for opportunities to have my cake and eat it too. So it's all up in the air about whether carbs before bed inhibit GH?? Well I'll tell you whats not up in the air - taking peptides to induce GH pulses. Here would be a great and possibly the best application of GHRP's! They are legal. They work. Another beautiful example of maximizing growth...

We ought to stop arguing on the matter honestly. I don't think anyone on here knows the answer definitively. I for one believe there isn't a definitive answer...

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks. I hate being wrong

Geo: I apologize - you were right. That link goes agaisnt every basic principle I was convicted about but alas, I give in rather unwillingly :(

I will go away now humble and with my tail between my legs ......
In your defense, at least you're willing to concede that you were wrong. Too often, people will stick with their belief even with overwhelming scientific evidence refuting their position.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks. I hate being wrong

Geo: I apologize - you were right. That link goes agaisnt every basic principle I was convicted about but alas, I give in rather unwillingly :(

I will go away now humble and with my tail between my legs ......
Lol you have no reason to go away, I have been in your position so often it isn't even funny. Like Rodja said you changed your mind after seeing evidence. That's something very few people do anymore. I was never trying to make you look bad or anything of the sort. Like I said I've been wrong so often in these types of things it isn't even funny. I just try to keep learning a little bit each day and hoping I can maybe help others learn cause I definitely don't know much on the whole!

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks fellas

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established
In your defense, at least you're willing to concede that you were wrong. Too often, people will stick with their belief even with overwhelming scientific evidence refuting their position.
Agreed

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
Im in exactly the same boar as you OP. I think it depends on how your body reacts. Eating for me just before sleep is the most enjoyable meal (not neccessarily the best on my wasite line). I dont think carbs per say are bad but if i'm trying to stay trim I try stay away from starch late at night. Carrot and Humus + protein shake i find is a good compromise. Cottage cheese+whey is good if i've had a big workout. If im flatout being bad i'll eat a home made protien bar (which has lots of oats) and sometimes some Jatz.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
There's a lot of good stuff here.

I'm very interested in this, although I still have fairly low carb diet, it's still very interesting, and specially because now most of my carbs are close to my bed time (around my 7PM meal), so it is very interesting.

usva

Awards
I have noticed, that GH-boosters work better (deeper sleep and vivid dreams) when the last carbs I eat are eaten about 3-4h before bedtime.