T2 diabetic looking for advice.

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.86%

T2 diabetic looking for advice.

Hi this is my first thread ever so be kind.. I am amazed at how friendly and helpful everyone (well almost everyone) is here at AM. A year ago I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. This year I have really gotten into bodybuilding and am currently trying the Max OT training... I'm not sure if I like it or not. I'm 6' 248lbs 15% BF... I want to be above the norm in the gym... I have five kids and a very supportive wife willing to help me do anything to achieve my goals...I'm been a "gym member" for years and years and while I do know my way around a gym, I refuse to be the non-gainer anymore... I know you guys hate newbies with general questions but I don't know what I'm loooking for... I want to be king sepreme in the gym...I want to do work, not just show up.. routines diets supps anyone???

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.38%

All of that depends in your goals .. I saw king supreme but is that in lifting or physique or birthright ?? Cause we got some fat guys at my gym that can bench 400+ then there's me .. I work with half that weight most days but when I look down I can see my all of willy without a mirror .. so the first thing is to decide on and set a goal then figure out how and what you need to do to accomplish it
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.86%

Yeah good point. My working bench weight it 245 with the Max OT system... I'm not into being the fat guy and seeing my wieness is of importance.... a dietition told me I had to eat meat the size of my thumb... I guess my question is, are there any other T2 diabetics here that have eaten and supplemented and used PH like a normal person... once again this is my first thread so I apologize if I'm beating a dead horse here LOL
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.86%

I've always spoke of wanting to be 250 w/10% BF...
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.38%

Look here ..

http://www.mealplansite.com/sports-b...-diabetic.aspx

As far as supplements that can be tricky .. some will have effects on your insulin .. taking with the company reps might help .. but Doc should be consulted before you take anything your not sure about ..
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.86%

Awesome thanks...
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.94%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Its easy man. If you're diabetic, your #1 priority is getting weight off, keeping that HbA1c down, and (very occasionally) reversing that type 2 diabetes.

Right now don't worry about getting big and buff. Eat healthy meats, get lots of vegetables with some fruits that won't give you a high glycemic load, and make your carbs sparing with emphasis on fibrous items to keep your stool bulked.

By definition, the carb requireemnt of a diabetic is far less. Your fasting glucose levels are already high, and addiing additional carbohydrates will just do more damage in terms of your diabetes.

In short: I'd suggest following a normal diabetic diet. If your HbA1c is ideal at your next visit to your doctors (should be about 3 months), then I'd consider adding in some extra protein calories if you feel like trying to add weight and muscle mass. Make changes accoring to your hemoglobin A1c values.

Diabetes is far more dangerous, and far more scary than most patients know. Unfortunately, its so common we've become desensitized to it and even your doctor will likely treat it like no big deal when in reality its killing all of your organs, and even your limbs.

If its new, its likely you can reverse it (at least for a time, and every year being diabetes free is a blessing).
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.86%

Sounds like you're speaking from experience man... my first Dr told me I could enjoy a few more nights of drinking before cutting out the beer.. and that was with BG levels of 329... FIRED... my last A1C was 6 that's coming from 11 a year ago... my last fasting glucose was 125 from 149 five months ago... I'm slowly seeing improvements and keeping my fingers (while I can still feel them) crossed..
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.94%

Quote Originally Posted by sweatymoo View Post
    Sounds like you're speaking from experience man... my first Dr told me I could enjoy a few more nights of drinking before cutting out the beer.. and that was with BG levels of 329... FIRED... my last A1C was 6 that's coming from 11 a year ago... my last fasting glucose was 125 from 149 five months ago... I'm slowly seeing improvements and keeping my fingers (while I can still feel them) crossed..
    Ha, ha. Yeah, I've got some experience I'm not a physician yet. I'm going into my 4th year of medical school at the moment. So, I'm still a year away.

Now, your physician was "technically" correct when he said you could enjoy a few more days since its unlikely to have made a big difference in the level of glycation of your blood vessels (high A1c over time), but its probably a better idea just to start working on good habbits earlier than later

Now, an A1c of 6.0 is okay. But, you say that's 11 yrs ago? What is the recent one?

As for your blood glucose, those are still too high. The BG value literally changes minute to minute, unlike A1c which is the cumulative effect of all the BG values over 3 months. So, if your BG values are 125-149 fasting, you need to make some diet and/or medication adjustments. If you're eating a very good diabetic diet and you're not on metformin already, you may need to ask your doctor about getting started.

Good luck!

PS. I also feel like I should mention that people with great glycemic control will go on to live long lives I feel like I painted only a scary picture. lol
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.86%

I confused you... my a1c was 11..... one year ago... and is 6 now.... I'm on 500mg bid... my hardest problem is portion control.. ill get there. If.you're really a Med student and not blowing smoke up my ars I'll tell ya my triglyceride count a year ago... only people who know numbers can really understand
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.94%

Don't tell me you were one of those guys with the triglyceride count over 1,000 :-P I actually had a patient the other day whose blood glucose was over 1,000 and triglycerides over 2,000 the other day. It was insane. Diabetic who ditched his meds and enjoyed life a bit too much for a few years.

Honestly though, when it comes to the clinical significance of triglycerides, its really not something I'm super familiar with because it doesn't cause symptoms. I know it's correlated to vascular disease, particularly coronary. However, whether it has a causal role, like high LDL, is up in the air as far as I know. So, other than knowing to treat it, I don't know a whole lot about it.

The one notable exception I'm aware of is hypertriglyceridemia-associated pancreatitis. I guess triglyceride levels > 1,000 can cause pancreatitis 0_0

As for being confused, I think I'm just stupid. I re-read what you posted, and it was clear enough. I don't know how I interpreted it incorrectly :-P Thanks for the clarification though! And, great job on the reduction!
  12. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.86%

2248... how nuts is that!!! I ended up with untreated pancreatic problems. I thought it was a kidney stone and it would just pass, horrible pain. Liver became enlarged the whole nine yards.. I think it came from dirty bulking... 5-6000 cals a day of mostly junk and simple carbs.. it was a life lesson that I'm willing to share with the world if anyone thinks there's a natural clean way to add gear like weight on in a month... there's not!!
  13. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.03%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by kwyckemynd00 View Post
    Don't tell me you were one of those guys with the triglyceride count over 1,000 :-P I actually had a patient the other day whose blood glucose was over 1,000 and triglycerides over 2,000 the other day. It was insane. Diabetic who ditched his meds and enjoyed life a bit too much for a few years.

Honestly though, when it comes to the clinical significance of triglycerides, its really not something I'm super familiar with because it doesn't cause symptoms. I know it's correlated to vascular disease, particularly coronary. However, whether it has a causal role, like high LDL, is up in the air as far as I know. So, other than knowing to treat it, I don't know a whole lot about it.

The one notable exception I'm aware of is hypertriglyceridemia-associated pancreatitis. I guess triglyceride levels > 1,000 can cause pancreatitis 0_0

As for being confused, I think I'm just stupid. I re-read what you posted, and it was clear enough. I don't know how I interpreted it incorrectly :-P Thanks for the clarification though! And, great job on the reduction!
    Not to hijack the thread... but good to see you around Kwyck! Always good to read up your knowledge.
    The Historic PES Legend
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.94%

2248... how nuts is that!!! I ended up with untreated pancreatic problems. I thought it was a kidney stone and it would just pass, horrible pain. Liver became enlarged the whole nine yards.. I think it came from dirty bulking... 5-6000 cals a day of mostly junk and simple carbs.. it was a life lesson that I'm willing to share with the world if anyone thinks there's a natural clean way to add gear like weight on in a month... there's not!!
    Wow... that's a pretty shocking number. 0_0 lol. At that level, the pancreatitis isn't surprising! Glad you've learned your lesson. Too bad it had to be the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by DAdams91982 View Post
    Not to hijack the thread... but good to see you around Kwyck! Always good to read up your knowledge.
    Hey, long time no see How are things?
  15. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.86%

Its definitely not what I had anticipated but its pushed me to clean up and pace myself.... my doctor said and i quote... " even the tin man couldn't get blood from you"
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.94%

Ha, ha. Well, I sure hope those triglycerides have come down a bit since then. I'm sure you've got a decent little medication list, so I'd expect that anyway.
  17. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.86%

Well as far as thar goes
    .. just metformen (sp) I've gotten my tris under control.with diet and omegas... I'm at 180 at my last test.. yeehaw thirty one more points and I'm golden
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.94%

Well as far as thar goes
    .. just metformen (sp) I've gotten my tris under control.with diet and omegas... I'm at 180 at my last test.. yeehaw thirty one more points and I'm golden
    Fantastic! Good job, man.
  19. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.86%

Thanks bro

Similar Forum Threads

1. Can IGF-LR3 cause you to become diabetic
    By ranetki in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-14-2012, 03:39 PM
  2. Can IGF cause you to become Diabetic?
    By mr athlete in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-08-2010, 02:55 PM
  3. diabetic and aas use?
    By EatNphood in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-05-2003, 06:57 PM