Do you even need fat in your diet?

Kidcudi

Awards
I eat around 3050 calories a day. 180 grams of protien, 300 grams of carbs and 114 grams of fat. If I eliminated fat from my diet or reduced it to like 20 grams or less daily what would happen? Would I see more gains in muscle and less in fat?

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I eat around 3050 calories a day. 180 grams of protien, 300 grams of carbs and 114 grams of fat. If I eliminated fat from my diet or reduced it to like 20 grams or less daily what would happen? Would I see more gains in muscle and less in fat?
Consuming fat does not make you fat.

Here is a link to nutrition and fat (it does focus on the zone diet), but healthy fats are needed to sustain a healthy body.

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/nutrition-health/92572-fuel-talk-pt.html

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It can be said that decreasing carbs and increasing healthy fats would be better for your goals. One phrase that has always stuck with me was this: "There is no essential carb"

Granted how you react to carbs/ utilize fats for energy has a lot to do with what will work best for you.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Testosterone is cholesterol based and requires fats. Do I need to elaborate?

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Essential Fatty Acids does say it all. You NEED them yes. No argument here

stankyleg

stankyleg

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Keep the fat bro

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
im going to spare my sarcasm as seeing the "noob" part of you in the question...fats are essential, carbs....not so much

stankyleg

stankyleg

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Cutting fat will out would make you fat. Test would bottom out. Then you put on the adipose jacket.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Increase good fats, decrease carbs, report back with results.

I would do this before I'd do what you are suggesting.

icecold9487

Awards
i think this is a better question than you guys are giving him credit for. it's not like the amount of fat you eat corresponds linearly with the amount of testosterone your body produces. there has got to be a certain amount of fat that your body needs to produce its optimal level of testosterone but do we know that?

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i think this is a better question than you guys are giving him credit for. it's not like the amount of fat you eat corresponds linearly with the amount of testosterone your body produces. there has got to be a certain amount of fat that your body needs to produce its optimal level of testosterone but do we know that?
? Again this post treats fat as if it's a bad thing as opposed to what most of us are saying: Fat in the diet is a good thing!

What most of us are saying is: Diet with healthy fats is > than diet without healthy fats. As for the certain amount, that's going to vary by individual, goals, etc. But as I said, personally I'd screw with carbs before I'd screw with my intake of healthy fats.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Just keep in mind the caloric density of the fat and you should be fine too.

As long as the calories match the goals you're trying to accomplish, no such thing as too much fat, especially the good fats, olive oils, nuts, some meat fat, etc.

Just make sure to track the calories accordingly and you should be fine.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
? Again this post treats fat as if it's a bad thing as opposed to what most of us are saying: Fat in the diet is a good thing!

What most of us are saying is: Diet with healthy fats is > than diet without healthy fats. As for the certain amount, that's going to vary by individual, goals, etc. But as I said, personally I'd screw with carbs before I'd screw with my intake of healthy fats.
this ^^^^^^^^

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established

What if he would like to have optimal hormone levels but get more of his calories from carbs than fat? Keto style food just doesn't taste very good to some people. I prefer potatoes and noodles over oil,peanuts,avacado, etc. so the key is to find the point where you get optimal levels and still not have to eat greasy 85% beef .

The diet is a pie chart. to give more calories to fat would mean less calories would come from carbs. Some people prefer foods with more carbs and less fat, based on taste among other things.

lightsout56

Awards
like a lot of people said there are good fats and bad fats... i def see better results with any of my fitness goals when there is a good amount of fat in my diet

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What if he would like to have optimal hormone levels but get more of his calories from carbs than fat? Keto style food just doesn't taste very good to some people. I prefer potatoes and noodles over oil,peanuts,avacado, etc. so the key is to find the point where you get optimal levels and still not have to eat greasy 85% beef .

The diet is a pie chart. to give more calories to fat would mean less calories would come from carbs. Some people prefer foods with more carbs and less fat, based on taste among other things.
Taste is one thing, performance is another. And personally, I love fatty ground beef.

In a caloric excess (bulking diet) keep fats around 25% or higher.
In a caloric deficit (cutting diet) keep fats around 35% or higher.

Avoid polyunsaturated fats originating from plant sources. These will wreak havoc on your body (inflammation, insulin resistance, etc.)
Consume monounsaturated fats.
Polyunsats from fish/free range animals are ok (as this is where you get your omega-3's).
Saturated fats from fish, animal, and coconuts are important for optimal hormone production.

Br

ilovechoclate

ilovechoclate

Awards

Healthy fats help you LOOSE FAT. Not to mention fats give you that full and 'satisfied' feeling. Why make your diet feel like .......'a diet?'

When your cutting your carbs fats become MORE essential as a liable source of energy. Do you NEED fats? Same can be said about lots of protein ....do you NEED lots of protein....carbs? All in all your diet should be a balance of carbs, protein, as well as fats.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
Healthy fats help you LOOSE FAT. Not to mention fats give you that full and 'satisfied' feeling. Why make your diet feel like .......'a diet?'

When your cutting your carbs fats become MORE essential as a liable source of energy. Do you NEED fats? Same can be said about lots of protein ....do you NEED lots of protein....carbs? All in all your diet should be a balance of carbs, protein, as well as fats.

it's simply amazing how many people , in their 20s and beyond ,who confuse LOOSE with LOSE.

is 'amazing' the right word?

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
it's simply amazing how many people , in their 20s and beyond ,who confuse LOOSE with LOSE.

This has been a common theme today. It's the third or fourth post about it.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
This has been a common theme today. It's the third or fourth post about it.
no way. ive never seen another post about it. but ive always wondered why

ilovechoclate

ilovechoclate

Awards
I'm lost........haha

It's okay though....I got reflector tapes. I should be alright. ;)

Gokmog

Gokmog

Awards

Silly average people... proper form is: a-maizing.

Okay, getting serious for a second.. I would think if someone were to experiment with a really low fat diet and see how it works for them maybe use that time as an opportunity to spike all the great, pre-formed EFAs into their body with saturated fats, precisely timed to facilitate absorption, assimilation, etc. whateva into their bods. That's how I'd do it, not eliminate fat or any kind of fat (EFA/poly / mono / sat) but really pay attention to what fat they're eating and get as much of the good in with the right kind of fat for it to be as effective as possible.

LIke the warning on prostaglandin potential of peril with the poly sixes. Yeah, I think most of us are unbalanced enough as it is (I must be, again, at this point).