postworkout insulin spike

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  207 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.85%

postworkout insulin spike

hey guys, have a question. i've asked this on a few other boards i belong too but trying to get everyones informative opinion and reasoning on this. If when we workout our body goes into catabolism and protein synthesis temp degrades. And many bodybuilders will do an insulin shot after working out in order to inhibit cortisol and raise amino/protein transport. would it make more sense to take a protein shake post workout with a table spoon of brown sugar to create that insulin spike in order to shuttle the aminos and protein to the muscles?. Seems like without the insulin spike post workout that protein shakes are minimally effective and without the insulin spike the only logical meal post workout is a primarily carb loaded meal to replenish glycogen stores? Any input? I'm open for all opinions.

p.s. the reason why im not doing insulin shots is because im not 100% confident on them yet cause i know there is some risk with them.

thanks guys

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.84%

Following along for more info...
  3. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.6%

best type of post w/o insulin raiser, in my personal opinion, is ripe bananas, high glycemic around 25g of carbs and loads of potassium. what more could you ask for
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'5"  232 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.49%

yeah I do not completely trust insulin shots myself (not saying they do not work). Aside from my post-workout shake (1.5 scoops of Whey, 1 banana, 6 oz. 1/2% milk, and about 3 oz. of cold coffee) right before I drink it, i eat about a small bowl of watermelon which has a GI of above 70, which your body absorbs quickly... and watermelon is higher in lycopene and beta-carotene than tomatoes, just sayin

Ben
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  207 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.85%

thanks guys, ill have to check try out the banana, especially on the potassium. currently on a cutting phase and taking clen, so the potassium will really benefit with those muscle cramps. just trying to get the most out of my post workout ya know? i've always been good on my diet so i can bulk and cut fairly well. im just starting to try to involve more science into my fitness goals.
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.8%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I eat sour patch kids directly post workout then 10 mins later a shake then 45 mins later my biggest meal of the day
    Email me for free prodigy samples
    Ricky@pni-online.com
    www.pni-online.com
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.03%

I like to buy bulk gatorade powder and do a half scoop right before my protein shake
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  178 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.22%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I mix whey with 8 oz of grape juice right after working out. Toss some creatine in and your golden.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?lwz1ol
    "Strive to seize the initiative in all things"
  9. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.03%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I just posted about this a couple days ago but cant seem to fond the thread no... Anyway in short, the answer to the question, "do you need a insulin spike post workout?" the answer is no (IMO)
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  10. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.71%

This is interesting. Have you spoken to a doc about this?
  11. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.03%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.94%

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh
    I just posted about this a couple days ago but cant seem to fond the thread no... Anyway in short, the answer to the question, "do you need a insulin spike post workout?" the answer is no (IMO)
    why not? isnt insulin the reason why you muscles need nutrition and become hungry?!
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  207 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.85%

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post

my question was more towards promoting protein synthesis post workout when protein synthesis is at an all time low, not so much about replenishing my glycogen stores. however those studies are pretty interesting. i personally know several large bodybuilders that use insulin shots to inhibit cortisol levels, then they will have large protein meal and amino acids added to it. is this wrong then?
  14. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.03%

Quote Originally Posted by NFC View Post
    my question was more towards promoting protein synthesis post workout when protein synthesis is at an all time low, not so much about replenishing my glycogen stores. however those studies are pretty interesting. i personally know several large bodybuilders that use insulin shots to inhibit cortisol levels, then they will have large protein meal and amino acids added to it. is this wrong then?

Did you read the post in that thread? Simple sugar post workout results in faster glycogen replenishment but thise does not equate to a faster rate in muscle resynthesis. Supplementing with exogenous insulin and leucine has been shown to result in a stronger protein synthesis signal than just protein alone (http://ajpendo.physiology.org/content/281/3/E466.full ) but the same has not been true for CHO and PRO post workout ( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21131864 )

Basically, if you are going to take CHO with your PRO post workout than there really is no difference between a high GI CHO and a low GI CHO postworkout. All it will do is refill glycogen stores and both types of CHO will accomplish this
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.88%

I prefer to raise my insulin levels just prior to a workout so that the protein and insulin goes into the muscle during the workout rather than after. I did the post workout shake for years but when I switched to preworkout (and continue drinking during workout) I have sustained energy levels, increased strength and gains, and improved recovery. I use a rice ogliodextrin and casien hydroslates.
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  207 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.85%

Did you read the post in that thread? Simple sugar post workout results in faster glycogen replenishment but thise does not equate to a faster rate in muscle resynthesis. Supplementing with exogenous insulin and leucine has been shown to result in a stronger protein synthesis signal than just protein alone (http://ajpendo.physiology.org/content/281/3/E466.full ) but the same has not been true for CHO and PRO post workout ( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21131864 )

Basically, if you are going to take CHO with your PRO post workout than there really is no difference between a high GI CHO and a low GI CHO postworkout. All it will do is refill glycogen stores and both types of CHO will accomplish this

ah i gotcha, so what your essentially saying is that a post workout insulin spike from simple or complex carbs will only result in faster glycogen replenishment and not in protein synthesis. the protein synthesis would only occur if the insulin spike was a result of a shot, or would chocolate (example) be considered as an exogenous source of insulin?
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.25%

i hear pixie sticks are good to eat post workout. very fast absorbing sugar to spike insulin
  18. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.77%

You don't need carbs immediately post workout assuming you don't workout twice or more per day you can replenish the glycogen with the meals you eat between workouts
  19. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.03%

You might not 'need' them. But it definitely helps a lot more than it could hurt
  20. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.77%

Whether it "helps" or not is very goal dependent
  21. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.93%

Two things....
    ONE --Idk wtf you're thinking, but dont **** with insulin. If you're not a pro BB trying to get 300+ lbs, dont do it. No offense, but educate yourself before you shove **** in your body.... You **** with insulin, you're asking for diabetes...
    TWO-- just buy some dextrose dude, you can drink it safely and it will spike your inusulin w/out having to fck with unnecessary hormones..
    its cheap, and idc what ppl say about karbolyn and waxymaize and all that bull****, dextrose has been clinically proven effective- the other two, well i doubt that.

thirdly.. i dont give a **** what that kid just said. complex carbs are exactly that- complex. they take longer for the body to digest, and they are not going to provide the same / as intense of an insulin spike as dextrose.
  22. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.03%

ah i gotcha, so what your essentially saying is that a post workout insulin spike from simple or complex carbs will only result in faster glycogen replenishment and not in protein synthesis.
    yes.. While simple carbs will lead to faster glycogen replenishment, this does not equal faster muscle synthesis

the protein synthesis would only occur if the insulin spike was a result of a shot, or would chocolate (example) be considered as an exogenous source of insulin?
    No... As you can see from the study I linked above, CHO + PRO did not enhance muscle synthesis. Slin pin induced insulin spike is not the same as a dietary induced insulin spike for some reason.
  23. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  207 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.85%

No... As you can see from the study I linked above, CHO + PRO did not enhance muscle synthesis. Slin pin induced insulin spike is not the same as a dietary induced insulin spike for some reason.
    interesting, thanks man.. interesting to know that now. the guy i train with uses a 5 hour insulin ester, but he's also at 265lbs and conservatively 9%bf. i dont think i would ever mess around with insulin unless i was in my 50's (like the guy i train with). thanks for the feedback man.

@aceroni, chill out man.. no one said anything about taking insulin shots the original post was used as a comparison. and trust me, i research the hell out of things before i take anything into my body. judojosh didnt say anything to the means that they would replenish at the say speed, most of us understand the difference between simple and complex carbs.
  24. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  207 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.4%

@op: I minimize carb intake after 5pm, so I just have a banana with some whey isolate, cissus, and creatine after every workout.

@aceroni: thanks for the comedic relief
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.81%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Insulin is dangerous as hell. In addition, while I don't know if insulin-sensitive cells down-regulate receptor expression in the presence of high levels of exogenous (or endogenous) insulin, I'd suspect that is the case. And, diabetes is a horrible disease.

I don't recall the details, but I do remember a while back that there was some evidence to suggest insulin-independent means of amino-acid transport and anabolism in the post-workout state. I do know that exercise will induce insulin-independent glucose transport mechanisms.

Having said that, yes, insulin is a pretty strong addition to anybodies drug arsenal if they're looking to get bigger.
  26. New Member
    Stats
    5'5"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.99%

How many of those sour patch kids do you use?

I currently use Gummy Bears but wanted to start using Sour Patch kids,
  27. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.47%

any thing high in glycemic index will spike blood sugar levels. dextrose and maltodextrin are highest on the glycemic index
  28. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  199 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.16%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

I'll breeze through these post later see what the general consensus is.
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
    ANABOLIC MINDS SITE REP
  29. New Member
    Stats
    6'5"  232 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.49%

Any Wonka® candies are good for insulin spike. 1st ingredient is dextrose
  30. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.47%

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin1
    Any Wonka® candies are good for insulin spike. 1st ingredient is dextrose
    Pixy stix and nerds ftw!
  31. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  199 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.16%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Any all sugar candy works....

I don't know how much of a difference this makes to an average gym go'er, sure a post shake &/or meal will do just fine though.
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
    ANABOLIC MINDS SITE REP
  32. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.28%

Endomorphics : no insulin spike , no simple carbs.
    Ectomorphics : should do pwo simple carbs , ans even during workouts.
    Mesomorphics : depends on your goals. Bulk ou cut.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 40
    Last Post: 08-11-2011, 01:19 PM
  2. insulin spike on no carb day
    By nonidentity in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-02-2011, 02:40 PM
  3. Insulin spike PWO necessary?
    By hl80 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 06-26-2009, 03:51 PM
  4. question about insulin spike