Niacin

mcox0214

Awards
I've been looking into my pre-workout supplements and I've noticed that most of the ones I've used, and have benefited most with, have some niacin in it. I've always enjoyed them cuz they all gave me that jittery sensation after taking them. Figured that meant that I was ready to workout! But now I'm curious, cuz I've been reading about it a little bit. I read that the jitters are a side effect and that it actually makes you fatigued. What's its main benefit in a pre-workout or even by itself?

Gokmog

Gokmog

Awards
whatever it is good for in the b-spectrum (metabolization of such and such..). are you interested in the kind that makes your skin redden and tingle temporarily when you overdose? the jitters you describe sound like overstimulation on stimulants found in pre-workout supplements.

Dr Zoidberg

Dr Zoidberg

Awards
I agree with Gokmog that the jittery sensation is probably from other stimulants in the pre-workout and not the niacin. Niacin seems to be a love/hate kind of supplement, and appears to have several pros and cons.

Niacin can help with blood flow, which can translate to a better "pump" during the workout. It also causes flushing (redness of the skin), some people report really bad flushing if they take niacin as a stand alone supplement. There are claims that it helps with glycogen usage, which could improve your workout, and I believe it is prescribed medically to lower cholesterol levels.

A study sponsored by Gatorade found Niacin to DECREASE athletic performance compared to people taking a placebo... It does give that skin tingling feeling, if you're into that.

adeadbodyman

Awards
I agree with Gokmog that the jittery sensation is probably from other stimulants in the pre-workout and not the niacin. Niacin seems to be a love/hate kind of supplement, and appears to have several pros and cons.

Niacin can help with blood flow, which can translate to a better "pump" during the workout. It also causes flushing (redness of the skin), some people report really bad flushing if they take niacin as a stand alone supplement. There are claims that it helps with glycogen usage, which could improve your workout, and I believe it is prescribed medically to lower cholesterol levels.

A study sponsored by Gatorade found Niacin to DECREASE athletic performance compared to people taking a placebo... It does give that skin tingling feeling, if you're into that.
See I have wondered what niacin is really supposed to do. I bought some to take, really just to try. It's wierd, sometimes I will take it and get flushed BAD, all over. I mean crazy red. Other times I take it and NOTHING happens. I have just played around with it to try and find a pattern, so far I haven't. Same bottle of niacin, it's not like I'm changing that.
Wierd
I have noticed that it makes me a little tired though, definatly not a energizer for me.
mike

ilovechoclate

ilovechoclate

Awards
From personal experience, too much niacin has made me vomit like I'm pregnant. And its very easy to cross that threshold as well.

I'd avoid stimulants with niacin in it. In fact, just focus on getting the ONLY ingrdiant that gives you results. For the most part its caffeine. You can get a but load of caffeine tabs for around 5-10 bucks which is MUCH cheaper then just about any pre-workout.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
See I have wondered what niacin is really supposed to do. I bought some to take, really just to try. It's wierd, sometimes I will take it and get flushed BAD, all over. I mean crazy red. Other times I take it and NOTHING happens. I have just played around with it to try and find a pattern, so far I haven't. Same bottle of niacin, it's not like I'm changing that.
Wierd
I have noticed that it makes me a little tired though, definatly not a energizer for me.
mike
Nicotinic acid (not niacinamide) helps lower LDL and triglycerides, raise HDL and promote vasodilation. The burning sensations is caused from prostagladin receptor binding that initiates a vaso effect on skin capillaries causing blood to rush under the skin and "flush" the skin. Some love it as a detox effect as they seem to notice better complexion and what not(if your into that). Down-regulation of the aformentioned receptors explains the on/off effect of flushing vs non-flushing days.

Gokmog

Gokmog

Awards
Would this capillaric dilation facilitate healing after a shave?

I can actually see why people would assume niacin (not the no-flush kind) helps the skin "detox", because when I've done enough for the flushing effect I easily noticed it was more pronounced on parts of my skin exposed to air (as well as solar radiation..).

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Would this capillaric dilation facilitate healing after a shave?

I can actually see why people would assume niacin (not the no-flush kind) helps the skin "detox", because when I've done enough for the flushing effect I easily noticed it was more pronounced on parts of my skin exposed to air (as well as solar radiation..).
Don't try after. Try before.

ISU152

ISU152

Awards
The niacin has nothing to do with you feeling jittery. Niacin is very interesting and there is a lot of controversy around it. I feel it can give you a great feeling of well being

ilovechoclate

ilovechoclate

Awards
The niacin has nothing to do with you feeling jittery. Niacin is very interesting and there is a lot of controversy around it. I feel it can give you a great feeling of well being
I had a great feeling of well being hanging over the toilette...then again in my bedroom trash can. hahaha Glad to see it benefits other people though. :)

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
if you want tinglies then use beta alanine

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Rule of thumb: Don't "read" YOUR side effects. Just "record" them. You know how your body feels when you take a supp. go by that. Not everything you read is going to tell you what you want to hear. Some people complain about Niacin some people say it doesn't bother them. What do you say? That's all that matters. It's your body

ilovechoclate

ilovechoclate

Awards
Rule of thumb: Don't "read" YOUR side effects. Just "record" them. You know how your body feels when you take a supp. go by that. Not everything you read is going to tell you what you want to hear. Some people complain about Niacin some people say it doesn't bother them. What do you say? That's all that matters. It's your body

YA....BE YOURSELF! That's what's REALLY cool. haha :D