Need a good protein/energy bar for preworkout

1. Need a good protein/energy bar for preworkout

I posted in a previous thread that I was looking for something quick and easy on the stomach to eat preworkout (my protein shakes were making me sick). I got some good ideas from some of you guys but then I thought what about an energy bar. I am currently in cutting mode and I would rather not have something that has 17g of fiber to avoid any stomach issues. Trying to find something that has around 20 g of carbs, very little sugar, and some protein.

Any suggestions guys?

Thanks - TM

2. I have tried a bunch of different bars over the years, and 99.9% of them are filled with crap. I just started making my own. Do a google search on protein bar recipe and you will find a TON of recipes. I can't remember mine of the top of my head, but I'll find it post back. Btw MUCH cheaper to make your own to and it took me like 20 min.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by garythethird View Post
    I have tried a bunch of different bars over the years, and 99.9% of them are filled with crap. I just started making my own. Do a google search on protein bar recipe and you will find a TON of recipes. I can't remember mine of the top of my head, but I'll find it post back. Btw MUCH cheaper to make your own to and it took me like 20 min.
    I actually just went and picked up some Kashi Chewy granola bars. I am really looking for a higher carb bar as I will be eating it prior to going to the gym. The Kashi bars have very little sugar (5 g) about 20 g of whole grain carbs and about 8 grams of protein. They also do not use any artificial sweeteners. I think they are sweetened with cane juice.

4. Quote Originally Posted by mondata View Post
    I actually just went and pickup up some Kashi Chewy granola bars. I am really looking for a higher carb bar as I will be eating it prior to going to the gym. The Kashi bars have very little sugar (5 g) about 20 g of whole grain carbs and about 8 grams of protein. They also do not use any artificial sweeteners. I think they are sweetened with cane juice.
    Good choice for a pre workout bar, a good mix of fast and slow digesting carbs. I've always liked Kashi products; quality ingredients. Their cerals are really good too if you don't mind a little soy protein. Kashi Go lean is addicting!

5. I personally get nothing from an "energy bar" when it comes to a pre-workout. I feel it actually makes me more hungry and frustrated. I would stick to a great lean mass gainer or pure iso depending on your goals and go with that.
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by garythethird View Post
    Good choice for a pre workout bar, a good mix of fast and slow digesting carbs. I've always liked Kashi products; quality ingredients. Their cerals are really good too if you don't mind a little soy protein. Kashi Go lean is addicting!
    Yeah I agree their cereal are great. The kashi bars are great b/c they do provide some carbs without all the sugar and they do not sit heavy on your stomach so I can eat them about 30-45 min prior to working out. They are also around 60 cents each which is way cheaper than most 'energy bars'

7. Quote Originally Posted by MuscleGauge1 View Post
    I personally get nothing from an "energy bar" when it comes to a pre-workout. I feel it actually makes me more hungry and frustrated. I would stick to a great lean mass gainer or pure iso depending on your goals and go with that.
    Yeah I was just wanting something with some extra carbs and that was light especially since I am only eating about 1800-1900 calories a day. I hit up a protein shake immediately after I workout and another one before bed (casein)
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Good non 1.3 preworkout
    By jtracy33 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 01-08-2012, 12:45 AM
  2. Best Energy Supplemet (NOT PREWORKOUT)
    By Ligonozrk in forum Supplements
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-22-2009, 08:48 PM
  3. preworkout protein
    By pavb10 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-16-2008, 05:12 PM
  4. preworkout energy drinks crash
    By animalXXX in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-28-2007, 10:01 PM