AST / ALT's

fredrick001

Awards
Hi,

I am new to this forum so hello to all :)

I just had a blood test and my liver enzymes were a little hard to understand, but my doc looked worried.

My AST is 445 and ALT is over 100. I'm not completely sure what that means - can anybody shed some light on that? All I do know is that those are pretty high levels.
Apparently, my liver can't cope with my medication for bipolar (Lamicta (150)l, Trazodone(100) etc.) so these have all been reduced.

Can anybody explain what the above AST/ALT levels mean? My doc is being pretty vague about it and is sending me for an ultrasound plus weekly blood tests.

Should I be worried at all about this?

Thanks in advance.

IronBusta

Awards
Age? Do you drink? Are you taking any other medications or supplements? The fact that your levels are high simply implies your liver is working overtime to clean your blood out. Doesn't necessarily mean your liver is damaged... (yet). However, those numbers are pretty high... (I'm not a doc, so I can't recommend... but I would suggest bring the doses down as much as you can while still being able to recieve necessary benefits from the meds, and get follow up bloodwork... Additionally, it might not be a bad idea to get an ultrasound if you're worried about it- depending on how long you've been on the meds. I would avoid any alcohol, and drink water throughout the day... (You might consider NAC or Milk Thistle for support)...

Take the doctors recommendation for the meds into consideration, but also remember that you're the only one that knows your body. Just because a doc says you need to be prescribed something, doesn't mean it's actually going to help you in the long run... if you know what I mean. You'd be surprised how many people, **if they give it a chance, will actually feel better in the long run on a lower dose or off the meds completely with a well balanced diet/lifestyle. Just my 2 cents...

The best I've ever felt, and the best health I've ever been on is a balanced diet with 1/2 a liquid multi/day and some Fish Oil/NAC... Good luck though.

fredrick001

Awards
Thanks for the reply.

I do drink. Well, I used to, a lot! I'm a recovering alcoholic. This is the highest my AST's/ALT's have been though.
I'm 31 and my medications are: Lamictal 150mg, Molipaxin/Trazodone 100mg, Valium 5mg, Nexium 20mg and Vitamin.

It took many years to get that ****tail right for me to feel okay... so it's just disheartening that now after all of that, my liver can't handle them.

My doc set up an appointment for an ultrasound already, so I guess I'll wait and see what that shows.

Thanks again for the reply.

Age? Do you drink? Are you taking any other medications or supplements? The fact that your levels are high simply implies your liver is working overtime to clean your blood out. Doesn't necessarily mean your liver is damaged... (yet). However, those numbers are pretty high... (I'm not a doc, so I can't recommend... but I would suggest bring the doses down as much as you can while still being able to recieve necessary benefits from the meds, and get follow up bloodwork... Additionally, it might not be a bad idea to get an ultrasound if you're worried about it- depending on how long you've been on the meds. I would avoid any alcohol, and drink water throughout the day... (You might consider NAC or Milk Thistle for support)...

Take the doctors recommendation for the meds into consideration, but also remember that you're the only one that knows your body. Just because a doc says you need to be prescribed something, doesn't mean it's actually going to help you in the long run... if you know what I mean. You'd be surprised how many people, **if they give it a chance, will actually feel better in the long run on a lower dose or off the meds completely with a well balanced diet/lifestyle. Just my 2 cents...

The best I've ever felt, and the best health I've ever been on is a balanced diet with 1/2 a liquid multi/day and some Fish Oil/NAC... Good luck though.