AK DoubleWide 47
Awards
Ok, I've always thought most people overestimate
weightlifting calorie expenditure, but I've never really bothered
trying to precisely calculate it for myself (even because I think is never
going to be precise..) so I just underestimate it by default, counted something
around 400 calories burnt (my shortest session is 2h40min, the others about 3h,
one's almost 4h..).

Since I tweaked my diet a bit today I've been calculating my daily calorie intake
and found out I'm actually getting way more calories that I thought (lol this explains
why I'm not dead yet really)

I thought I was around 1800 cals a day but I'm actually at 2400 (lol)
this is a big a## difference, i mean enough to make someone gain weight instead
of loosing it..
That amount of cals is 6 days a week, and I go for about 3500 on my refeed day

I would expect such a "mistake" (600 calories more than you thought you were getting!)
would translate in a pretty massive weight/lean mass gain - I eat 100% clean -
and yet I gained only few pounds in the last 14 weeks while keeping my BF the same,
and the reason because I got those few pounds is because 14 weeks ago I started the
refeed protocol..

Obviously my calorie expenditure MUST be higher than I thought, maybe much higher?
I mean, with 4% of BF should be fairly easy to notice a higher BF, sh#t I'm so paranoid
I see it even when it doesn't happen, go figure.. but it didn't, if anything I've been getting leaner
in these last 14 weeks.

So bottom line: how much you burn with the workout/weightlifting???
The various calculators says 120 min of "high intensity" workout burn about 700 calories,
180 min about 1000 calories, what do you guys think?
Would that be a close enough esteem?

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
why do you work out so long? what kind of workouts do you do?

the only thing i can think that would take that long would be fullybody depletions.

i'm interested to know why and how you workout for 2.5 hours and sometimes 3! one almost 4? wtf?

AutoKal47

AutoKal47

AK DoubleWide 47
Awards
why do you work out so long? what kind of workouts do you do?

the only thing i can think that would take that long would be fullybody depletions.

i'm interested to know why and how you workout for 2.5 hours and sometimes 3! one almost 4? wtf?
It's a long story lol really.. I tend to push things to the edge and then much further..
This is just the way I workout, I incorporate different protocols and overtime my sessions became
this long; my body became hella resistant and it takes quite some work to get it to failure,
and I never leave the weight room unless I can barely walk.
Not necessarily the best way to build muscles, this is just the way I like it.

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
When i was wearing a heart monitor my avg calories i burned in a 1/45min session was around 850,now i was doing complexes with no/little rest so i was actually keeping a high heart rate the whole time with some sessions going over 1000cals depending on how the micro was set up.

Usally a normal body building w/o with say 2-3min rest burns around 400cals in an hour or two.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
wow....my training lasts a max of 1hour 15min.....a 4 hour session would have be close to 1k cals...

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I think 1 60 minute session for me is around 250 calories...

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I don't look at weight training in terms of calorie expenditure. It is a constant in my life, it doesn't really change.

I use cardio to increase my expenditure above what it already is, and even then I don't "calculate" it because it is just too difficult to get an accurate number. If I need more I do more.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I read somewhere a long time ago that expenditure from lifting can be calculated by (Weight*.05)*Time of session. I'm sure there is a high degree of error since there are many factors that go into it, but I think people underestimate how much lifting burns during the session and after via EPOC and nutrient repartitioning.

AutoKal47

AutoKal47

AK DoubleWide 47
Awards
Thanks guys,
I agree the math is never gonna be precise..
But the only explanation for me not turning into a fat a## with
600 calories *more* than i thought I was getting every day
for the past two months it's obviously that I have to burn a ridiculous
amount of calories during my workouts..
Actually tho', the calorie surplus explain why I kept doing lean gains
like I did, especially in the past month.
Crazy tho' that my BF didn't go up, well, if it ain't broken...
So actually I'm eating pretty much on maintenance 6 days a week with 1 refeed,
while I thought I was in cal deficit those 6 days lol..