Need some advice for fitting in all my protein

mondata

mondata

Awards
  • First Up Vote
So lately I have been getting very nauseous from my protein shakes...

My day consists of:

7:00 am - get up
7:30 am - breakfast consisting of 5-6 eggs (mostly whites) and a piece of WH toast or a Meal Replacement Shake (24 g protein, 24 g carbs)
10:00 am - pre-workout protein shake w/creatine and half of a sweetpotato
11:15 - workout
12:30-12:45 pm - post-workout shake and a banana
1:30 - chicken breast and 1 cup of WH pasta (just hot sauce)
4:00 - 6 oz greek yogurt
7:00 - supper (meat and veggies - no carbs)
10:00 - protein shake (casein)

My current goal is cutting weight so I am eating around 250g protein, 150g carbs, 30g fat

My first question is does anyone see any issues with this current eating plan for cutting

The biggest thing is what changes can I make pre and post workout to avoid the nausea. Before I was eating almonds and a 2% cheese stick but ditched it for the protein and sweetpotato but its killing me. I workout on my lunch break so I cannot change that and I am never hungry it at least 10 am due to the eggs.

I hope someone with a lot more knowledge on nutrition will chime in. I have tried to research for myself but you get so many conflicting ideas

Thanks guys.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
eat your yolks!!!

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
but the yolk is full of goody goodness!

thestein1016

thestein1016

Awards
  • Established
So lately I have been getting very nauseous from my protein shakes...

My day consists of:

7:00 am - get up
7:30 am - breakfast consisting of 5-6 eggs (mostly whites) and a piece of WH toast or a Meal Replacement Shake (24 g protein, 24 g carbs)
10:00 am - pre-workout protein shake w/creatine and half of a sweetpotato
11:15 - workout
12:30-12:45 pm - post-workout shake and a banana
1:30 - chicken breast and 1 cup of WH pasta (just hot sauce)
4:00 - 6 oz greek yogurt
7:00 - supper (meat and veggies - no carbs)
10:00 - protein shake (casein)

My current goal is cutting weight so I am eating around 250g protein, 150g carbs, 30g fat

My first question is does anyone see any issues with this current eating plan for cutting

The biggest thing is what changes can I make pre and post workout to avoid the nausea. Before I was eating almonds and a 2% cheese stick but ditched it for the protein and sweetpotato but its killing me. I workout on my lunch break so I cannot change that and I am never hungry it at least 10 am due to the eggs.

I hope someone with a lot more knowledge on nutrition will chime in. I have tried to research for myself but you get so many conflicting ideas

Thanks guys.
First off, how much do you weigh?
Secondly, are you 100% sure its the protein shakes that are causing the nausea and not being dehydrated? If it is the protein shakes, are you having a reaction to the type of protein used?

Also, you dont need to shy away from sat fat. Sat fat (in moderation) keeps t-levels up.

grngoloco

grngoloco

Awards
One 15oz can of salmon has 150g of protein,, scrambled with some eggs it goes down fairly east

mondata

mondata

Awards
  • First Up Vote
**PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE ANYONE ELSE RESPONDS**

Current weight is 213. I forgot a key piece of information. I am using cellucor C4 extreme as my preworkout energy. So the problem is I am unable to drink a protein shake (10:00 am) and use my preworkout shake (taken about 10:45) without getting nauseous. On my cardio days I do not use the C4 and do not have the nausea. Also I can take the C4 on days when I do not drink a protein shake beforehand and I do not have any issues. So its really the combo of the two. I cannot believe I forgot this bit of info. So with that being said is there an alternative preworkout energy drink that is not as harsh on the system. I really love the C4 it help so much with my intensity. What is more important the intensity gained from the C4 or the protein preworkout. I do drink a shake immediately after my workout as well.

Thanks

thestein1016

thestein1016

Awards
  • Established
**PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE ANYONE ELSE RESPONDS**

Current weight is 213. I forgot a key piece of information. I am using cellucor C4 extreme as my preworkout energy. So the problem is I am unable to drink a protein shake (10:00 am) and use my preworkout shake (taken about 10:45) without getting nauseous. On my cardio days I do not use the C4 and do not have the nausea. Also I can take the C4 on days when I do not drink a protein shake beforehand and I do not have any issues. So its really the combo of the two. I cannot believe I forgot this bit of info. So with that being said is there an alternative preworkout energy drink that is not as harsh on the system. I really love the C4 it help so much with my intensity. What is more important the intensity gained from the C4 or the protein preworkout. I do drink a shake immediately after my workout as well.

Thanks
What type of protein are you using

mondata

mondata

Awards
  • First Up Vote
What type of protein are you using
Dymatize ISO-100 Hydrolyzed Whey - taste like crap btw. I was using MusclePharm Combat Power which is a blended protein and tasted amazing.However, I never took it and the C4 together so I do not know if the effect (nausea) would be the same.

grngoloco

grngoloco

Awards
Whatever happened to a quad espresso as a preworkout?
Throw in a lot of sugar and you'll get a hell of a pump from the insulin.....

thestein1016

thestein1016

Awards
  • Established
Not really sure about your case. However, a pre-workout shake isnt really necessary. If its the combination of pre-workout and protein that is causing the headache, you might want to ditch the protein shake and just take the pre-workout. Then after, take your post workout if it doesnt bug you.

mondata

mondata

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Not really sure about your case. However, a pre-workout shake isnt really necessary. If its the combination of pre-workout and protein that is causing the headache, you might want to ditch the protein shake and just take the pre-workout. Then after, take your post workout if it doesnt bug you.
Yeah I may be able to just eat a little something that is high in protein. The whole problem is I am trying to hit 250 grams of protein, still be able to take my pre-workout shake and stay around 1800-2000 calories.

What are some ideas for a small preworkout meal that will provide a decent amt of both carbs and protein. I will continue drinking my post-workout shake as I have not had any issues thus far.

Thanks for all the help men!

mondata

mondata

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Whatever happened to a quad espresso as a preworkout?
Throw in a lot of sugar and you'll get a hell of a pump from the insulin.....
Dont worry I get my caffeine quota for the day. About 320 grams right now counting the coffee and 2x dose of C4

grngoloco

grngoloco

Awards
Yeah I may be able to just eat a little something that is high in protein. The whole problem is I am trying to hit 250 grams of protein, still be able to take my pre-workout shake and stay around 1800-2000 calories.

What are some ideas for a small preworkout meal that will provide a decent amt of both carbs and protein. I will continue drinking my post-workout shake as I have not had any issues thus far.

Sardine sandwich... I love them.... mashed sardines with capers, onions and celery .. a little olive oil and.vinegar for flavor

thestein1016

thestein1016

Awards
  • Established
Chicken or Eggs with rye bread and some jam if you need/want the sugar.

mondata

mondata

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Chicken or Eggs with rye bread and some jam if you need/want the sugar.
Yeah I am already doing eggs and chicken every day but I like the jam and rye bread idea for some simple and complex carbs. I just need to figure out a tasty protein source not named eggs or chicken.

thestein1016

thestein1016

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I am already doing eggs and chicken every day but I like the jam and rye bread idea for some simple and complex carbs. I just need to figure out a tasty protein source not named eggs or chicken.
Tilapia

grngoloco

grngoloco

Awards
Almond butter .... and again,, canned fish is easy to take on the go and awesome for ypu

mondata

mondata

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Yeah the problem is I am at work so it has to be something I can just grab and down quickly. If it wasn't for all the extra fat calories I would go with some almond butter or natural peanut butter on toast with jelly. Might could get by with it anyways. I eat fish 1-2x weekly usually tilapia or salmon. In general I have always eaten fairly cleanly its just now I am actually trying to get my required protein in while cutting to avoid as much muscle loss as possible.

mondata

mondata

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Almond butter .... and again,, canned fish is easy to take on the go and awesome for ypu
Crap I just replied but it did not go through. Anyways I was saying it has to be something I can just grab and eat quickly as I am at work and sometimes that is in the office and other times its in the field or on the road. My wife and I have always eaten clean. I eat fish a few times a week. I said in the other (that did not go through) that I would eat a piece of toast with simply fruit jelly and some almond butter or all natural peanut butter but was worried about the extra fat calories but I think I could get by with it pre-workout

AForney

AForney

Awards
One 15oz can of salmon has 150g of protein,, scrambled with some eggs it goes down fairly east
A 15oz of salmon has;
Calories
Fat
26.71g
Carbs
0g
Protein
87.47g
:trout:

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Instead of making a breakfast meal of whole foods (i.e, eggs), why not just make that a time when you drink a shake?

I've been drinking these shakes for over two years solid, just about every day and I've been able to stay in good shape. I mostly like them because they're convenient and nutritious.

1.) Grind up 1/2 cups oats in blender or electronic coffee grinder... The goal is to have powdered oats
2.) Add milk (I recommend at least 1.25 cups)
3.) Add banana
4.) Add scoop of whey protein or protein blend (blend would work great, but whey works just as well with the milk and oats).
5.) Blend

You could lessen the ingredients if you want less calories. But even when I'm cutting, I prefer more calories early and then taper off during the day.

Something like this could solve your not being hungry problem due to eating eggs early in the morning. I used to wake up and make big breakfasts when I was bulking... Eggs, toast, oats, fruit, milk. It would take me 10 minutes to make it and then at least 10 minutes to eat it. Then I realized I could just blend up some stuff to make a shake and drink that same amount of calories instead of eating it... Make a shake in 2 minutes, takes 30 seconds to drink and you can make them with whatever you want. I usually make mine about 600-700 calories with the only fat coming from the milk.

mondata

mondata

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Instead of making a breakfast meal of whole foods (i.e, eggs), why not just make that a time when you drink a shake?

I've been drinking these shakes for over two years solid, just about every day and I've been able to stay in good shape. I mostly like them because they're convenient and nutritious.

1.) Grind up 1/2 cups oats in blender or electronic coffee grinder... The goal is to have powdered oats
2.) Add milk (I recommend at least 1.25 cups)
3.) Add banana
4.) Add scoop of whey protein or protein blend (blend would work great, but whey works just as well with the milk and oats).
5.) Blend

You could lessen the ingredients if you want less calories. But even when I'm cutting, I prefer more calories early and then taper off during the day.

Something like this could solve your not being hungry problem due to eating eggs early in the morning. I used to wake up and make big breakfasts when I was bulking... Eggs, toast, oats, fruit, milk. It would take me 10 minutes to make it and then at least 10 minutes to eat it. Then I realized I could just blend up some stuff to make a shake and drink that same amount of calories instead of eating it... Make a shake in 2 minutes, takes 30 seconds to drink and you can make them with whatever you want. I usually make mine about 600-700 calories with the only fat coming from the milk.
I will have to give them a try. I use to do shakes similar to this all the time. I don't mind fixing the eggs and toast but I will probably alternate in some shakes to keep from getting burnt out. The biggest issue for me is still pre-workout nutrition.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
Eggs only have @ 7g protein each ... I use www.sparkpeople.com calorie counter,, super easy and they have a phn app

i don't want to add insult to injury here but, the yolk contains about 40% of the protein in an egg.

looks like you have another shake to drink! or you can not be a weirdo and eat the whole egg...

grngoloco

grngoloco

Awards
i don't want to add insult to injury here but, the yolk contains about 40% of the protein in an egg.

looks like you have another shake to drink! or you can not be a weirdo and eat the whole egg...
I always eat the whole egg.
..lol... let the hippies eat whites only

grngoloco

grngoloco

Awards

I've read before that the proteins in the yolk are super fragile,,, I add raw whites to my shakes,, blend it, ,, then add in the yolks I separated earlier,, barely fold them in then drink it

mondata

mondata

Awards
  • First Up Vote
There is nothing wrong with eating the entire egg as most of the time I do but while on a cut I need to lower all the saturated fat in my diet and an easy way to do that is to eat only the whites. I buy 100% egg whites and just use those plus I add a whole egg or two into the mix. I would never buy eggs and throw away the yolks. To each his own.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I will have to give them a try. I use to do shakes similar to this all the time. I don't mind fixing the eggs and toast but I will probably alternate in some shakes to keep from getting burnt out. The biggest issue for me is still pre-workout nutrition.
I've found that in most cases, how well your workout is relative to your pre-workout meal depends on what you ate and how much time you let elapse before the workout.

Or more simply put... If you had a larger meal, wait longer. If you had a small meal, you wouldn't have to wait as long.

And this is assuming the foods you've chosen are adequate and approrpaite (i.e, wouldn't be best to eat a pizza, wait an hour or two, then workout, ect..).

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I always eat the yolks, not to much sat fat for the omega 3 ones. Also you could just eat the protein missing from the protein shake pre-wo later in the day. Same difference.

indysoccer16

indysoccer16

Awards
  • Established
1800-2000 calories seems really low for someone your size, even on a cut.

Also, as far as the shakes listed above go I was doing something similar but adding in my 2-3 eggs raw and a little honey for some energy. Made for a great breakfast shake that could hold me over for a while.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
First off, how much do you weigh?
Secondly, are you 100% sure its the protein shakes that are causing the nausea and not being dehydrated? If it is the protein shakes, are you having a reaction to the type of protein used?

Also, you dont need to shy away from sat fat. Sat fat (in moderation) keeps t-levels up.
^^Answer all the questions first buddy. Repped. This will help you stay on track

mondata

mondata

Awards
  • First Up Vote
1800-2000 calories seems really low for someone your size, even on a cut.

Also, as far as the shakes listed above go I was doing something similar but adding in my 2-3 eggs raw and a little honey for some energy. Made for a great breakfast shake that could hold me over for a while.
Yeah I think I am losing a little muscle mass as well. My strength has gone up 0 since I started Jan 9th but I have dropped 16 pounds. Hoping to drop 10-12 more then increase calories to maintenance and starting putting some muscle on. Ultimately I would like to stay under 195 pounds - currently 210.

mondata

mondata

Awards
  • First Up Vote
^^Answer all the questions first buddy. Repped. This will help you stay on track
Thanks for reps. Definitely not dehydrated by the way. I try to hit a gallon a day and only drink water and occasionally a glass of soy or almond milk. I know they say too much soy lowers test levels but I probably only drink 1/2 gallon a week at the most.

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
yes, as already suggested earlier in here.....just supplement the eggs with a protein shake of some sort upon waking in the morning.....my sister was eating eggs for breakfast but mentioned she had no time for it anymore, but still wanted the protein. so of course I suggested just take in the protein powder instead of the eggs...simple and easy. she mixes it with skim milk to help with the taste...I prefer it "plain" (like my steroids LMFAO) in water. I just can't eat in the morning, no appetite. also as mentioned earlier there is protein in the yolks....but hey, on an 1,800 cal diet? every damn fat cal counts! so sometimes its better to do a whole egg with a few whites added in for additional protein and about half the cals! I just ate some hard boiled eggs matter of fact....good as hell with a little salt. :D

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
I do 1800-2400 (usually average 2,000 per day per week) but I'm 190 lbs.....a heavier guy could stand to throw in several hundred more cals....that is the beauty of being bigger, you get to eat (slightly) more calories than the medium sized guys when cutting! :D

indysoccer16

indysoccer16

Awards
  • Established
I still think you would be a little better off eating closer to your maintenance calories.
I am sure you have seen it, but have you read about the leangains diet? I was losing a good 3-4lbs a week following it and I was taking in more calories than you were and building muscle at the same time.

mytwocents

Awards
your diet is ok, your protein is ok (there are worst, iso 100 is great).
the really problem w you is your preworkout formula, you are gettin sick " gastritis " never take your c4 first thing in the morning. You should did cardio first thing in the morning. c4 15-30 min before bkfst, get omeprazole first thing in the morning for 14 days (omeprazole, is going to help after 3rd day, make sure to finish all 14 pills.

pantherdude63

pantherdude63

Awards
  • Established
I still think you would be a little better off eating closer to your maintenance calories.
I am sure you have seen it, but have you read about the leangains diet? I was losing a good 3-4lbs a week following it and I was taking in more calories than you were and building muscle at the same time.
Look at Leangains, train fasted and reap all the rewards of your prewo, then get to grub down afterwards. If you can fit the eating in with training of your lunch break I think you'd enjoy it. It's much easier to maintain a weight while improving than bulking and cutting.

gnbbc

gnbbc

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Why dont u try a protein bar it works well for me, i eat my bar 1hr-45min b4 gym and then 20-30 min my preworkout drink! You will get the amount of protein u want, also some carbs and u will not feel bloated like the protein shake!

SXIPro

SXIPro

Awards
  • Established
Eggs only have @ 7g protein each ... I use www sparkpeople com calorie counter,, super easy and they have a phn app
And the yolks have about 45% of the protein in an egg. You toss the yolk and you are down to around 4 grams protein.

mondata

mondata

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Why dont u try a protein bar it works well for me, i eat my bar 1hr-45min b4 gym and then 20-30 min my preworkout drink! You will get the amount of protein u want, also some carbs and u will not feel bloated like the protein shake!
I basically wanted more carbs than protein. The kashi granola bars have been a success. Weight has continued to come off and the bars provide enough energy for my workouts.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
People need to stop worrying about eating whole eggs. Unless you have a pre-exisiting condition where you shouldn't be eating a lot of dietary cholesterol, then don't worry about it. If you're in pretty good shape, you don't have to worry about it like you're going to die if you keep eating whole eggs.

Hell, Frank Zane said not to worry about it. He said if you're in good shape then dietary cholesterol found in eggs won't hurt you that much. And he's still in good shape. Your bad cholesterol levels are more likely to increase if your diet is high in saturated fats.

If you want more protein, just add a little to each meal. Buy a protein blend and drink your extra protein. For example, my whole food meal consist of 30g protein but I need 10g more. So I make a protein shake of 10g and drink it along with my meal. Problem solved.

This stuff isn't that complicated haha

mondata

mondata

Awards
  • First Up Vote
People need to stop worrying about eating whole eggs. Unless you have a pre-exisiting condition where you shouldn't be eating a lot of dietary cholesterol, then don't worry about it. If you're in pretty good shape, you don't have to worry about it like you're going to die if you keep eating whole eggs.

Hell, Frank Zane said not to worry about it. He said if you're in good shape then dietary cholesterol found in eggs won't hurt you that much. And he's still in good shape. Your bad cholesterol levels are more likely to increase if your diet is high in saturated fats.

If you want more protein, just add a little to each meal. Buy a protein blend and drink your extra protein. For example, my whole food meal consist of 30g protein but I need 10g more. So I make a protein shake of 10g and drink it along with my meal. Problem solved.

This stuff isn't that complicated haha
I agree. My question was answered two pages ago lol. I am not worried about the cholesterol in the eggs but when you are on a strict diet cutting out some of the yolks saves on extra calories and saturated fat. I was just simply look for something I could do for my preworkout meal. I got a lot more than that

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I agree. My question was answered two pages ago lol. I am not worried about the cholesterol in the eggs but when you are on a strict diet cutting out some of the yolks saves on extra calories and saturated fat. I was just simply look for something I could do for my preworkout meal. I got a lot more than that
Yeah, these threads often go on tangets haha

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
Id say try get more protien from whole food-. However, this cant always happen with busy scheduals. Ive been a bit slack lately and been relying on shakes. But i notice the best gains eating whole food.

One thing that i used to up my protein on my last cut was pasturised egg whites. Id literally poor 10-12 oz of them into a shaker add 2 oz of water, 2 scoops of protein and 3/4 table spoon of pure coco. Post workout id add dextrose. It gives lots of protien coming from both whole food and whey.

I dont know how low carb you're going-you could also try home made protein bars.

I make mine mixing (very thoroughly) 1 cup of oats, 8 scoops of choc protein powder, 2 tablespoons of pure coco, 1/3 cup of penut butter, 3 table spoons of honey, 1/2 cup of milk in a big bowl. I then spread the mix in a large Tupperware container and put it in the fridge for 1/2 hour. Cut them, flip them over and put it back in the fridge overnight. You should get 5-500 calory (or 10-250 if you cut in half) breakfast meals.

These protien bars taste delicious. Its really easy to eat them. Honestly i could polish off 2 or 3 at once. but hey, i think id put on too much weight.