Macros Question- Over or at maintanence day after a lift?

alamo333

Awards
After much reading I've come to understand that diets are pretty much all about hitting your macros. Timing will give you an added boost, but missing your macro target for the day is devastating to gains and trumps all else.

Example: You lift heavy Monday so you eat high protein/high carbs over maintenance on your workout day.
What do you do Tuesday?
I've read your muscles do the growing on the rest days- so should that mean you eat over maintenance again on the rest day in order to give your muscles the fuel they need above maintenance to grow and build? Or just eat at maintenance (but with no caloric excess there wouldn't be fuel for them to grow on the off day). I've seen some conflicting info on this.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
After much reading I've come to understand that diets are pretty much all about hitting your macros. Timing will give you an added boost, but missing your macro target for the day is devastating to gains and trumps all else.

Example: You lift heavy Monday so you eat high protein/high carbs over maintenance on your workout day.
What do you do Tuesday?
I've read your muscles do the growing on the rest days- so should that mean you eat over maintenance again on the rest day in order to give your muscles the fuel they need above maintenance to grow and build? Or just eat at maintenance (but with no caloric excess there wouldn't be fuel for them to grow on the off day). I've seen some conflicting info on this.
First off I'd say "missing" your macro target for the day is certainly not devastating. You can't gain much anymore in a day than you can lose it. Just like a 6,000 calorie day won't add on 30 pounds anymore than a day of great dieting will lose it.

Without knowing your goals, most "diets" would have you eating more of everything on days you workout (usually because of pre/peri/post nutrition) than on days you don't workout. As a general rule I would do that. You do your "growing" immediately after lifting and on off days yes as your "growing" comes from the repair of what you're breaking down.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
there are literally thousands of dietary strategies. Overall the best thing you can do is find one that in general fits in easily with the reaities of your lifestyle to allow for consistent eating times, and then work out calories and macros after that and adjust as necessary.

csa2179

csa2179

Awards
there are literally thousands of dietary strategies. Overall the best thing you can do is find one that in general fits in easily with the reaities of your lifestyle to allow for consistent eating times, and then work out calories and macros after that and adjust as necessary.
so if im 50g short on protein can i just down 50g of whey protein, or do i need to eat 50g of turkey protein(u know real food)?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So long as you reach .8g//lb from solid foods, whatever you get past that is ok as liquid

csa2179

csa2179

Awards
So long as you reach .8g//lb from solid foods, whatever you get past that is ok as liquid
**** yeah, im hitting like 250-300 from solid food every day. trying to get diet mapped out for up coming cycle. can you point me in the direction of information regarding the importance of healthy fats while on?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hmm its hard to find really good data on it. The need for fats is lower while on cycle, as you aren't worried about making optimal testosterone levels as you're suppressed. That said though, most cycles raise LDL and lower HDL, so keeping a moderately high level of fish oil is a good thing. I'll look around a bit for info on it though

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why does .8g/lb have to come from solids? I can see if you are comparing nutrients but if your eating plenty of fruits and veggies and get enough dietary fat then why would .8g/lbhave to come from food. Is there another reason?

By the way have you seen this before...

The physical state of a meal affects hormone release and postprandial thermogenesis

There is evidence that food consistency may influence postprandial physiological responses. Recently we found that homogenization of a vegetable-rich meal significantly delayed the gastric emptying rate and was more satiating than the same meal in solid-liquid form. In this present study we investigated whether homogenization also influences endocrine and metabolic responses to the meal. Eight healthy men, aged 21-28 (mean 24.5) years, were given the meal (cooked vegetables 250 g, cheese 35 g, croutons 50 g and olive oil 25 g, with water 300 ml; total energy 2.6 MJ) in both solid-liquid (SM) and homogenized (HM) form, in random order, at 1-week intervals. Variables assayed were plasma glucose, insulin and glucose-dependent insulinotropic peptide (GIP) levels for 2 h and diet-induced thermogenesis (DIT) for 5 h. Plasma glucose pattern was similar after both meals. However, HM induced significantly greater insulin, GIP and DIT responses than SM. Mean integrated areas under the curves (AUC) were 1.7 (SEM 0.38) v. 1.2 (SEM 0.33) U/l per 120 min (P = 0.005) for insulin, 19.9 (SEM 2.44) v. 16 (SEM 1.92) nmol/l per 120 min (P = 0.042) for GIP, and 237.7 (SEM 16.32) v. 126.4 (SEM 23.48) kJ/300 min (P = 0.0029) for DIT respectively. Differences between GIP-AUC after HM and SM correlated significantly with differences between insulin-AUC after HM and SM (r2 0.62, P = 0.021). These findings demonstrate that homogenization of a meal results in a coordinated series of changes of physiological gastroentero-pancreatic functions and confirm that the physical state of the meal plays an important role in modulating endocrine and metabolic responses to food.

PMID 10911770
this seems to go against the conventional logic of whole food having a greater TEF then liquid food.

Thoughts?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why does .8g/lb have to come from solids? I can see if you are comparing nutrients but if your eating plenty of fruits and veggies and get enough dietary fat then why would .8g/lbhave to come from food. Is there another reason?

By the way have you seen this before...

this seems to go against the conventional logic of whole food having a greater TEF then liquid food.

Thoughts?
well, for me actually its not so much extra TEF as it is just plain old digestion time. a piece of beef has 5+ hours in the stomach then aminos are still heightened in bloodstream from absorption in the intestines. Whey has such a short digestion time that i'm far less sure that a full dose gets absorbed. I'll admit part of it is my dietary pattern of intermittent fasting + 2 meals a day that has me getting in 100g each meal of protein from solid sources. Probably a good bit less important if you eat every 2-3 hours.

csa2179

csa2179

Awards
Hmm its hard to find really good data on it. The need for fats is lower while on cycle, as you aren't worried about making optimal testosterone levels as you're suppressed. That said though, most cycles raise LDL and lower HDL, so keeping a moderately high level of fish oil is a good thing. I'll look around a bit for info on it though
i have been having a hard time finding this info too....i know some substances are fat soluble, and it can be beneficial to take them with a high quality fat. ive emailed the manufacture to find out if they were, no response thus far.

but if a substance is fat soluble would you get more out of it if you keep a good amount of healthy fat in your diet?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i have been having a hard time finding this info too....i know some substances are fat soluble, and it can be beneficial to take them with a high quality fat. ive emailed the manufacture to find out if they were, no response thus far.

but if a substance is fat soluble would you get more out of it if you keep a good amount of healthy fat in your diet?
yeah, and overall its healthier to get more of your calories from good fats like nuts and avocados than from carbs, so its not like its a bad idea to take things with 100 calories of almonds