Whats the least amount of protein I can consume and keep gains?

lboston

lboston

Awards
I am having some serious GI tract issues right now and need to cut out all supplements for a couple of weeks and see if things start easing up a bit. I do have an appointment with a gastro doc, but that isn't until April.

I'm 5' 6 and 187lbs and need to get all my protein from real food for the time being. Anyone know of I can cut back from the 1g per pound rule without losing lean mass?

Thanks for any input!

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am having some serious GI tract issues right now and need to cut out all supplements for a couple of weeks and see if things start easing up a bit. I do have an appointment with a gastro doc, but that isn't until April.

I'm 5' 6 and 187lbs and need to get all my protein from real food for the time being. Anyone know of I can cut back from the 1g per pound rule without losing lean mass?

Thanks for any input!
Seems like you have a couple of issues. One is the thought that a lot of your protein should come from shakes - it doesn't have to. I eat 320g of protein in food alone plus PWO shake, so you could up the protein-rich foods in your diet if you wanted to keep up with protein intake.

On the other hand, if your doctor told you to lower your protein intake, at your weight I see no problem hanging out around 150g a day so long as you do some low volume moderate intensity workouts to maintain muscle.

lboston

lboston

Awards
Seems like you have a couple of issues. One is the thought that a lot of your protein should come from shakes - it doesn't have to. I eat 320g of protein in food alone plus PWO shake, so you could up the protein-rich foods in your diet if you wanted to keep up with protein intake.

On the other hand, if your doctor told you to lower your protein intake, at your weight I see no problem hanging out around 150g a day so long as you do some low volume moderate intensity workouts to maintain muscle.
Doc advises to lower protein intake quite a bit due to elevated kidney levels...def eat most of mine in food.

I hate it, but hopefully it will help clear some things up. I eat very clean--even with a high protein diet...I'm just not sure whats causing the issues. Only other supps I take other than the occasional protein shake are ultima as a prewo and Xtend as BCAAs.

RJW719

RJW719

Awards
  • Established
Generally a minimum of 90 or so ounces. At least that's what I shoot for.
You should try and up that to a gallon. I just carry around a gallon jug everywhere and most days I end up refilling it and getting closer to 1.5-2 gallons

SMC USA

SMC USA

Awards
I agree with RJW .. high protien diets require lots of water (gal/day minimum) .. Otherwise your kidneys take the toll .. I have 10 Oz of cranberry juice with breakfast everyday (good for kidneys) and at least 3 liters of water beyond my shakes which is another liter .. and even then my kidneys shout at me occasionally .. 300g of protien daily right now .. follow the docs orders but up your water intake if he has no objections .. you will find it helps ..

lboston

lboston

Awards
I agree with RJW .. high protien diets require lots of water (gal/day minimum) .. Otherwise your kidneys take the toll .. I have 10 Oz of cranberry juice with breakfast everyday (good for kidneys) and at least 3 liters of water beyond my shakes which is another liter .. and even then my kidneys shout at me occasionally .. 300g of protien daily right now .. follow the docs orders but up your water intake if he has no objections .. you will find it helps ..
Thanks gents--I certainly do appreciate the advice.

Out of curiosity, what are your alls daily diet looking like to get you near 300g per day?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
for reference sake, studies show athletes maintaining lean mass at somewhere between .6-.8g/lb