Drinking raw eggs safe????

allday54

Awards
This might sound dumb but is it safe to drink raw eggs? I'm really getting tired of constantly cooking them and cleaning the damn pans!!

ginge205

ginge205

Awards
This might sound dumb but is it safe to drink raw eggs? I'm really getting tired of constantly cooking them and cleaning the damn pans!!
Im not saying its safe because Im not completely sure ive done it when I first started and know other pepoel that have done it for years and we are fine I stopped doing it because the taste I vile

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
i read a study where the nutrient factor increased once eggs were cooked...

Ratiocinative

Awards
I'm too lazy to cook the eggs and clean the pan too, so I eat them raw. I just crack the egg, dump the white down the drain, and swallow the yolk whole. Haven't been doing it for very long, only like 6 months, and I only eat about a dozen a week because they are anywhere near as delicious as steak.

Personally, I think that the risk of contamination is greatly exaggerated. I have an electric grill that I cook a steak on almost every night and I haven't washed that thing once in the more than a year that I've had it. But then again, I am one of those people who pretty much never gets sick. I've been sick like once in the past 5 years, and that's only because both coworkers sitting next to me can in sick two days in a row. Even then, all I got was a mild runny nose and other than that felt fine.

aj power

aj power

Awards
  • Established
I use to chuck a whole raw egg in my protein shake all the time. Never got sick.

I think you have an ever so slightly higher risk of some types of food poisoning but its not significant and if you get fresh quality eggs probably none existent.

Ratiocinative ... you must have a super immune system or something ... your still gross tho ... you realise that at night your house ****roaches are having a gourmet dinner eating the fat you leave out for them ...

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
You could try pasteurized egg whites (out of a bottle). These are completely safe to drink raw.

I normally put 250 mls of egg white, 100mls of water, 2 scoops of choc protein and 1 table spoon of coco in a shaker and have them. It tastes good.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I'm too lazy to cook the eggs and clean the pan too, so I eat them raw. I just crack the egg, dump the white down the drain, and swallow the yolk whole. Haven't been doing it for very long, only like 6 months, and I only eat about a dozen a week because they are anywhere near as delicious as steak.

Personally, I think that the risk of contamination is greatly exaggerated. I have an electric grill that I cook a steak on almost every night and I haven't washed that thing once in the more than a year that I've had it. But then again, I am one of those people who pretty much never gets sick. I've been sick like once in the past 5 years, and that's only because both coworkers sitting next to me can in sick two days in a row. Even then, all I got was a mild runny nose and other than that felt fine.
Why not clean?

I use to chuck a whole raw egg in my protein shake all the time. Never got sick.

I think you have an ever so slightly higher risk of some types of food poisoning but its not significant and if you get fresh quality eggs probably none existent.

Ratiocinative ... you must have a super immune system or something ... your still gross tho ... you realise that at night your house ****roaches are having a gourmet dinner eating the fat you leave out for them ...
Right

JajaNe20

JajaNe20

Awards
  • Established
Pay the extra cash and get egg whites in a container that are pasteurized, I personally do this and drink 36 ounces daily. Your problems are solved.

Gerbil

Gerbil

Awards
  • Established
1/10000 chance of salmonella last time I checked. Although I have heard you absorb the protein better when it is cooked. Plus who doesn't like scrambled eggs?

Gokmog

Gokmog

Awards
avidin binding to biotin in uncooked whites.

Ever try hard-boiling a bunch of eggs at once? Cleaning (yes, you will have to eventually) a large saute pan and adequate cooking oil, hot enough to make 'em bubble and sizzle and seal, if you did it right they should scrape off clean from a non-non-stick (stainless steel recommended) pan.

srblan

Awards
  • Established

Why would you throw out the white? That's the part with most of the protein!

MDiocre

MDiocre

Awards
I get an 18 pack of large eggs at the store and hardboil em all. These i snack on throughout days.

I also get 2 large cartons of eggbeater whites, or even the white+yellow eggbeaters (same 0 cholesterol as the all whites, same protein, same everything, just more vitamins and minerals). These are all drinken in their lqiuid form in shakes.

I dont cook eggs anymore, and the ease of comsumption has allowed me to have more than ever. My farts have also been off the hook, which my GF is super happy about.

Ratiocinative

Awards
Why would you throw out the white? That's the part with most of the protein!
I eat 1.5-2lb of steak almost every day, and steak in just cow muscle, so I see no reason to worry about my protein intake. I'm more concerned about increasing my vitamin D, saturated fat, and cholesterol intake, though not to imply that I'm very worried about those either, otherwise I'd eat more than 1 or 2 eggs a day.

SMC USA

SMC USA

Awards
A little shot of Pam keeps eggs from sticking .. heat the pan up before putting eggs in, keeps them from sticking .. run water into the pan immediately after taking out the eggs and a scrubby pad and whatever might be sticking comes right off .. all three methods take seconds and or cost next to nothing ..

raw eggs aren't a danger (imho) but darn it's gross

SupremeMMA

Awards
Egg Whites International has pretty good egg whites but I prefer to cook them rather than drink them.

Rider2

Awards
1/10000 chance of salmonella last time I checked. Although I have heard you absorb the protein better when it is cooked. Plus who doesn't like scrambled eggs?
I have heard the same and always boil them. And do not need to clean the pan!

GreenEarth

GreenEarth

Awards
I would just keep cooking, even if it annoys you. Drinking eggs just isn't an enjoyable experience, and quite honestly I find enjoying what you eat to be a very good basis for keeping your sanity.

Assuming you're eating eggs on higher-fat days, cook some bacon in the pan first, then use the hot grease to cook the eggs sunny-side-up-over-hard style...eggs cooked in bacon grease are the most incredible tasting eggs in the world lol.

PrimiFit

Awards
I've eaten raw eggs for years and never got sick. I've understood that the problem with the raw eggs is the egg white which contains enzyme inhibitors. So, now I eat the yolks raw and I cook the whites. Does anyone know if the yolks are even better cooked, nutritionally I mean?

Personally I love the taste of raw yolk, even more than cooked ones.

Gokmog

Gokmog

Awards
I think with yolks you've got a situation where the de-naturing process of cooking doesn't increase their nutritional quality because the plethora of enzymes from the raw state can do so much to pre-digest foods. Steak tartar, for example. The ground steak begins to melt, liquify, if left at room temperature. Ever make aiolis or mayonnaise, PrimiFit?

jared767

Awards
I never tried it. But I remember Grandpa used to mix raw egg on his coke. He said it tasted good and healthy

Believe it or not

Gokmog

Gokmog

Awards
No, I have some generic recipes from a culinary college textbook but it's nothing special.

I've taken to making my own version! I like to use acetic acid (vinegar) or citrus juice (very acidic) for its solvent properties to extract as much flavor from the herbs and spices as possible, also might help make all those botanical ingredients with all the health-promoting effects more bioavailable.

Acidic solvent melting herbs 'n spices... egg yolks (about one yolk per 5 oz. oil) and mustard, some salt, other flavors... I recently made a nice chipotle puree with mashed garlic, a touch of ginger, ground cumin, oregano, cayenne, thyme caramelized onions (cooked herbs 'n spices in that) and it turned into a beautiful orange spicy zesty flavored aioli. A southwestern style mayo.

I just recently threw a whole bunch of herbs and spices into a little jar and immersed in apple cider vinegar. It will be the herbal "base" for future aiolis. I can make them in a salad bowl with a whip (manually) or if I'm sauteeing onions or something like that I will puree it in a blender (blender method vs. manual).

Learn the process and you wind up making your own custom aiolis, mayos, etc. I don't like soybean oil so I'm more a canola and olive oil kind of guy and the canola mayo in stores is usually more expensive than I like (and I'm capable of making my own home-made so...).

PrimiFit

Awards
Sounds really good! I have to try something like that. Thanks for the tip :).

uniifirex

Awards
Raw eggs have less bio availability in its state, when you cook them, they completely alter.

I think egg's are around 95% bio available, and raw are in the low 50's.

silicone pan+Pam= no mess whatsoever, no stick. i just rinse with water and put it in the dishwasher.

/thread

MagillaRU

Awards
Not sure if anyone is still following this post but what about egg white protein powders. It's a little more expensive than cartons but cheaper than pasteurized liquid whites. I usually just make a big batch of hard boiled eggs and then crack em open and toss in a blender with oats, natural pb, and a banana. I'm considering going the powder route though because I'm getting tired of peeling the damn shells every morning. Lazy, I know, but has anyone tried any egg white powders that you would recommend? I've heard trueprotein.com is a reputable company.....anyone have experience with their egg white powder? Thanks in advance!

aj power

aj power

Awards
  • Established
I have used egg white powered in the distant past ... I thought it was a good alternative as I have a very mild sensitivity to whey. I rememberer it always left a funny feeling in the mouth. If you have the $$$$ go for it.

Alpha Mind

Awards
Once a week I'll throw two raw eggs in a morning shake, but they're eggs I get from a bearded gentleman at the farmers market, not the sketchy ones for 1.29 per dozen.

I posted a thread about this once before, but if you don't like cleaning pans, get yourself this bpa free microwave omelet maker. The last time I posted about this, a got a fair amount of flak, but I swear by that thing. I have two. One is in tact, the other I cut in half. It takes some tweaking to fine that right amount of time, but that ish is way easier to clean than ANY pan. Doesn't taste weird or anything.

I eat more eggs between drinking and microwaving them and have the gains to show from it.

One thing to note, if you're blending them in a smoothie, don't put it on high. I'd throw the eggs in last. There's something about a blender on limb-grinder mode that decreases the effectiveness of drinking eggs. That's from Dr. Mercola, who I believe to be quite legit.

Good luck hombre.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
Wash the outside of the eggs before cracking. The shell being dirty is what causes food born illness just as it will with fruits and veggies. The inside of the egg if fresh is a sterol environment

pnut143

pnut143

Awards
Microwave them! Trust me, not sure if mentioned yet but all you gotta do is put 2 eggs in a bowl, put a small plate on top of that bowl, and you have fresh eggs in 65 seconds- I've been doing this for years

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
If you have the energy to was the outside of the egg you should have the energy to cook it.
You should actually wash them even if you're cooking them (sometimes i still forget to do so). The bacteria from the shell can easily contact with the egg as your cracking and emptying it out. This isn't something I'm pulling outa my ass either its taught in food safety courses. I remembered when I learned that raw egg consumption is safe if you take the precautionary steps I was pretty happy since I thought as many do that it was the raw egg itself that can cause illness. (although it still can if the eggs arent fresh) I'm not a fan of drinking raw eggs alone but I do add a couple to my morning shake I drink along with my bran cereal an Greek yogurt. If I have the time I much rather cook them.

Sunny side up over brown rice with a side of turkey bacon cooked crisp is fuking delicious. Mash it all together it's awesome!

scrambled whites with chives, spinach and shrooms with a side of whole grain waffles and turkey sausages

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Been eating raw eggs all my life. More risk of infection from eating a spinach leaf. There is an issue eating raw "whites only" due to the avadin but if you are eating the yolk with it there is way more than enough biotin in the latter to counter that.

I don't eat raw eggs out of laziness, just convenience. Crack one into a glass of milk and whip with fork for extra healthy fats, b vitamins, protein etc.; add to fruit smoothies, protein shakes, the list goes on.

mw1

mw1

Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I never tried it. But I remember Grandpa used to mix raw egg on his coke. He said it tasted good and healthy

Believe it or not
Gramps was a cokehead:eek:??JK ...I've never ate them raw and dont think i could stomach that either

BigOil26

BigOil26

Awards
Never ate them raw, I put them in the blender with my shakes, never know the difference

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
Raw egs tast the same as when theyre cooked.. The texture is whats gross..jus throw it in a shake vuala!!

onionness

onionness

Awards
you can get salmonila poisoning im pretty sure

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not sure if anyone is still following this post but what about egg white protein powders. It's a little more expensive than cartons but cheaper than pasteurized liquid whites. I usually just make a big batch of hard boiled eggs and then crack em open and toss in a blender with oats, natural pb, and a banana. I'm considering going the powder route though because I'm getting tired of peeling the damn shells every morning. Lazy, I know, but has anyone tried any egg white powders that you would recommend? I've heard trueprotein.com is a reputable company.....anyone have experience with their egg white powder? Thanks in advance!

It is true nutrition now, not true protein anymore.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
^^^^ Yes.

I deal almost exclusively with TN, and while I've only used their egg protein in a blend I can assure you that ANY product from them will be top notch. From service to quality to price, TN is the best there is IMHO.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
like Rocky?!?! lol...

man, i would rather cook an egg sandwhich :D