I'm just curious what your opinions are on what type of a doctor you would see if you had an autoimmune disorder? I have Hashimoto's (thyroiditis) and most of the time it's handled by an endocrinologist. That makes sense, right? Well, most of the time it seems to be treated by just tossing more thyroid hormones at it, rather than solving the problem of what caused the autoimmune disorder and how to fix it. So, I was thinking an immunologist would be the route for this. It seems that most are listed as allergy specialists / immunologists, but most practices list allergy and/or asthma in the name and have no mention of immunology. I'd called a doctor's office who was recommended by a co-worker (helped her husband pin down a unique case) and she said a rheumatologist is who I'd want to see. Well, I did some digging on that and when I spoke to one, they said even though they're familiar with Hashimoto's, their recommendation would be an endocrinologist. It's now come full circle.

So, my question to you is: Do any of you or your family members have an autoimmune disorder? What type of a doctor did you/they see? And most importantly, did that doctor help them to correct the situation?

My GP is out of the office this week and I can't get in to see him for 10 days and I'd rather not waste another 10 days of my life.

The main thing I'm wanting to find out is have blood panels done on TH-1 and TH-2 to (and CD4/CD8) to see where the dominance is.