Need help with hydration question

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.5%

Need help with hydration question

Hey guys I will give you a brief background on myself. I am 31 years old and all of my life I have been involved in sports and training. In my 20's I was very dedicated to athletics, my diet and life style were very disciplined I always maintained my body fat around 7-8 percent and during the summer months would get as low at 5 percent. When I turned 30 I sort of fell off the wagon so to speak. I continued to train but my life style was horrible. I was in a rather stressful period in my life and was drinking alcohol around 4-5 nights a week. During the day I would eat whatever I wanted and fueled myself on coffee. In August I went for a yearly check up and my doctor informed me that the protein in my blood was on the low range. I also suffered from a salivary duct stone which was driving me crazy. Doctor ran liver and kidney tests and they were fine and the conclusion was I was suffering from chronic dehydration. Which I could understand since I was living on crappy foods, coffee and alcohol plus trying to workout and do cardio yet.

I have rededicated myself to a healthy life style. I cut out the booze, limit myself to one cup of coffee a day and have made an honest effort to drink alot more water.

My problem is I am finding alot of conflicting information on the internet on the proper amount of water to maintain hydration?

I am 6ft4 and around 230 Pounds at the moment. My workouts are very intense consisting of plyometrics, heavy lifting, boxing and around 40 minutes of cardio a day. I workout hard 5 days a week and have one light day of cardio. So I do some type of physical activity 6 days a week.

I have been consuming about 1.5 gallon of water a day and at times I still find myself thirsty and dry in the morning when I wake up.

I am looking for input on what you guys drink on average during the day>?

2. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.48%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityActivity AuthorityActivity ProActivity Veteran

Just keep drinking til you're not thirsty, my friend.

I get 1 gallon/day minimum and usually end up with 1.5-2 gal/day with some days being closer to 3 gal.

If you're still feeling dehydrated, I'd just keep upping it. If you reach a point where you're drinking as much as I listed and still not feeling hydrated, I'd definitely check with a doctor and let them know, so they could look for another reason behind that.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69%

Water is an important part of our body and should be kept drinking to keep our body hydrated and toxin free.
    Drinking 3 litres of water everyday is a must for every individual.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.23%

Well what do you think the quickest way to hydrate in under an hour is after you cut 9 lbs of water out of you? I take a fast digesting carb drink but my stomach can only take in so much before I get water logged and can't perform my best
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.83%

Hi there, I drank 8 glass a day and I think that's enough to fill my body water need.
  6. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.48%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityActivity AuthorityActivity ProActivity Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by titanman31 View Post
    Well what do you think the quickest way to hydrate in under an hour is after you cut 9 lbs of water out of you? I take a fast digesting carb drink but my stomach can only take in so much before I get water logged and can't perform my best
    I'm not sure I follow what you're asking / describing.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.23%

I cut weight for wrestling, and I usually dehydrate about 9lbs for it and it really takes a toll on my performance. Like cardio and strength.. we only have about an hour to hydrate before our match begins and I was wondering what would help the absorption of water fast enough so I am as little dehydrated and water logged as possible.. is there anything?
  8. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.48%

Ah, I gotcha. That makes sense because any other reason would be ludicrous and hence my saying I didn't follow (since you didn't specify for wrestling) lol.

The only thing I could think of off the top of my head would be something like pedialyte to get a high concentration of electrolytes. I think someone said MST had a product in that category, too. I'd consider even slamming a shaker of water, dextrose, electrolytes and possibly some creatine. I'm just spit-balling here; someone with actual knowledge of this might say this is a terrible idea. The thought process would be that the insulin spike from the dextrose would drive nutrients in the right direction and get them moving and the creatine could help with transporting/pulling them into muscle.

Again, just pure speculation.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.31%

My water intake varies from 3-5 liters a day .. workout days I consume 4-5 .. 3 on off days..

the thirst in the am is normal for me regardless of previous days consumption .. drink half a liter right out of bed most days

Pay attention to urine color and frequency .. clear or slightly yellow is good .. bout every 45-60 min I run to the loo

The more water you consume the more your body wants and expels (thinking it's getting more) so there is a backlash cycle involved with proper hydration
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.23%

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast
    Ah, I gotcha. That makes sense because any other reason would be ludicrous and hence my saying I didn't follow (since you didn't specify for wrestling) lol.

The only thing I could think of off the top of my head would be something like pedialyte to get a high concentration of electrolytes. I think someone said MST had a product in that category, too. I'd consider even slamming a shaker of water, dextrose, electrolytes and possibly some creatine. I'm just spit-balling here; someone with actual knowledge of this might say this is a terrible idea. The thought process would be that the insulin spike from the dextrose would drive nutrients in the right direction and get them moving and the creatine could help with transporting/pulling them into muscle.

Again, just pure speculation.
    It makes sense to me! And I do the carbs just haven't done creatine with it
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.97%
    Achievements Posting Pro

What I heard on Justin Harris nutrition tips on hydration is that you need Water, Carbs, and Sodium. You may want to try taking something salty with your water and carbs.
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.36%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Try a smalll bag of dorritos and still a decent amount of water. The sodium, carbs and cals may help with the water retention. Let me kn how it goes if you try it
  13. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  199 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.26%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by SMC USA
    My water intake varies from 3-5 liters a day .. workout days I consume 4-5 .. 3 on off days..

the thirst in the am is normal for me regardless of previous days consumption .. drink half a liter right out of bed most days

Pay attention to urine color and frequency .. clear or slightly yellow is good .. bout every 45-60 min I run to the loo

The more water you consume the more your body wants and expels (thinking it's getting more) so there is a backlash cycle involved with proper hydration
    I woke up to piss 3-4 times @ night not happy about that.
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
    ANABOLIC MINDS SITE REP
  14. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.31%

Quote Originally Posted by AaronJP1

I woke up to piss 3-4 times @ night not happy about that.
    I used to also .. I do once now, that's from my bedtime shake .. I usually stop drinking by 7 or 8 pm .. bed around 11p usually .. one advantage to natural bodybuilding is learning how long it takes your body to shed water without diuretics .. for me it's 5 hours (if I am properly hydrated) ..

stop drinking water 4 hours before bed see how many times you get up, adjust from there, your body will get used to the stop time and it will just happen after a bit ..

and the carbs/sodium thing works also .. I try to be low sodium especially during a cut so my water intake (and outage) go up by as much as two liters towards the end of it

Similar Forum Threads

1. Best hydration method?
    By lightemup in forum Supplements
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 10-06-2010, 06:46 PM
  2. Hydration
    By bigbrock in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-02-2009, 12:31 AM
  3. anyone have experience with hydration scales?
    By pinchharmonic in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-20-2009, 05:01 AM
  4. Serious Hydration Problem, Any help appreciated!
    By Bmlax22 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-25-2007, 12:39 PM
  5. hydration problem?
    By Daven in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-07-2007, 09:13 PM