Best High Protein Foods

paulalan

paulalan

Awards
Just a general question for everyone out there. What are some high protein foods that everyone incorporates in their diet? I'm trying to up my protein intake and I want to see if there's anything out there I might be missing. I seem to only be getting about one and a quarter of my body weight, I'd like to at least be at one and a half times or even twice my body weight in grams of protein per day. Thanks in advance.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
sirloin, salmon (personal fave) 93/7 lean ground beef, tilapia, plain greek yogurt, cottage cheese, chicken tendorloins are just some of my weekly staples

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
twice your body weight is kinda high, im 180lbs and see no noticeable gains with anything above 160-165g daily

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You don't really need that much protein especially if you are trying to gain. You need more protein while you are dieting, not the other way around.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Fish and chicken

Hikeon3

Hikeon3

Awards
If you are cool with fish, try canned mackerel.

I mean, you have to be REALLY cool with fish. I eat a can a day. 60-ish grams of protein.

Deca17

Awards
Eggs for breakfast

Chicken for lunch/dinner

Can add in some tilapia

Walnuts for the added benefit of fats

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
Fish and chicken
you simply cannot beat fish and chicken....no matter how hard you try and how far and wide you search....they will always be the most protein packed calorie for calorie vs anything.

unless you make tacos...........with a lot of lean ground beef and heavy on the cheese with no veggies (and taco8 powder mixed with the seasoning) :D :D :D

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just a general question for everyone out there. What are some high protein foods that everyone incorporates in their diet? I'm trying to up my protein intake and I want to see if there's anything out there I might be missing. I seem to only be getting about one and a quarter of my body weight, I'd like to at least be at one and a half times or even twice my body weight in grams of protein per day. Thanks in advance.
Lean ground beef (lean ground sirloin). Yeah, it has a little fat in it but this stuff is so anabolic you are doing yourself a disservice not incorporating it. It's pretty much on par with eggs. Also truly love the fat free cottage cheese (Kroger's sells the best tasting, and it's 5 carb:15 pro)

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
you simply cannot beat fish and chicken....no matter how hard you try and how far and wide you search....they will always be the most protein packed calorie for calorie vs anything.
Yeah, but chicken doesn't taste good :S lean ground beef all the way!

(fish is great, though!)

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
Yeah, but chicken doesn't taste good :S lean ground beef all the way!

(fish is great, though!)
this is true, I prefer fish (tilapia flavored the way I like it of course) and (not so) lean ground beef. I like the more middle grade ground beef, like a ground round. sirloin is good, but damn....sometimes when I make taco meat I need some fat in there. But yeah, if you are looking for protein to fat ratio with protein as the objective....leaner grades are necessary. but chicken breast does kinda suck, unless you use a sauce or some cheese on top of it to flavor it up. I'm a dark meat man myself, and that defeats the purpose of eating chicken pretty much since you start moving towards the beef fat to protein ratios :D

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If it weren't for having farts from hell, I'd eat 20 eggs a day.

Blend them up, chug them as fast as possible. Reap the benefits. Reap the **** out of it.

MDiocre

MDiocre

Awards
1 can tuna
2-3 scoops nonfat cottage cheese
1 tablespoon peanut butter

Mix thoroughly. The PB taste cuts through the fishy tuna taste PERFECTLY. Its like cranberry juice and vodka :)

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I seem to only be getting about one and a quarter of my body weight, I'd like to at least be at one and a half times or even twice my body weight in grams of protein per day. Thanks in advance.
  • cows
  • pigs
  • chickens
  • fish
  • deer
  • etc
meat. Quinoa is ok as at least for a grain its a complete protein, but a lot of carbs come with it.

for reference sake, there isn't a piece of scientific evidence out there that shows any benefit even for olympic grade training athletes to getting over .8g/lb.

Here's a good example

http://jap.physiology.org/content/73/2/767.short

they saw no change in lean mass gains on a hypocaloric diet going from .61g/lb (1.35g/kg) to 1.2g/lb (2.6g/kg) in 4 weeks. It was a double blind group as well.

Colby

Colby

Awards
If u hunt u could stock up on deer n ne other wild game, I'm a big fan of deer meat tho! Love that ****

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I did notice my muscles stayed about the same on a high protein vs. lower protein diet (i.e., 180g per day vs. 120g per day)

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah, I did notice my muscles stayed about the same on a high protein vs. lower protein diet (i.e., 180g per day vs. 120g per day)
180g a day is only high if you dont work out or weigh 100lbs, lol.

EDIT: woops, missed what this was in reference to (Easy's post).

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
  • cows
  • pigs
  • chickens
  • fish
  • deer
  • etc
meat. Quinoa is ok as at least for a grain its a complete protein, but a lot of carbs come with it.

for reference sake, there isn't a piece of scientific evidence out there that shows any benefit even for olympic grade training athletes to getting over .8g/lb.

Here's a good example

they saw no change in lean mass gains on a hypocaloric diet going from .61g/lb (1.35g/kg) to 1.2g/lb (2.6g/kg) in 4 weeks. It was a double blind group as well.
This is very contradictory to all the broscience out there, which is great. I get anywhere from gram/lb to 30g less than body weight most of the time and thought I was depriving myself.

Also I keep peanut butter and milk at work if I feel I'm lacking. Yogurt is another easy one. The yogurt 2lb'ers with a little whey powder are a nice little snack and can be upwards of 50-60g.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

I actually disagree and don't think this study is a great example.

The study found a substantial, and I mean almost order of magnitude difference in nitrogen retention between the 1.2g/lb group and .61g/lb group, favorable for the higher protein group. That the differences in mass gains were minimal may have been due to the fact that these were novice lifters, they lifted for a total of 5 weeks (1 week of acclimation; 3 weeks would have been FAR better), and as you stated they followed a hypocaloric diet.

I think the study presents a small side of a much larger picture. It's possible much greater differences would have become apparent had the study extended its observation period out to 3 or more months, and if they ate at maintenance or greater. And as they mention in the paper and as we should all know, lifters at different levels are all metabolically different, so it's very hard to design a proper study of protein consumption and its effect on gains in a way that can apply to all; perhaps this approach is the actual source of the problem.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I actually disagree and don't think this study is a great example.

The study found a substantial, and I mean almost order of magnitude difference in nitrogen retention between the 1.2g/lb group and .61g/lb group, favorable for the higher protein group. That the differences in mass gains were minimal may have been due to the fact that these were novice lifters, they lifted for a total of 5 weeks (1 week of acclimation; 3 weeks would have been FAR better), and as you stated they followed a hypocaloric diet.

I think the study presents a small side of a much larger picture. It's possible much greater differences would have become apparent had the study extended its observation period out to 3 or more months, and if they ate at maintenance or greater. And as they mention in the paper and as we should all know, lifters at different levels are all metabolically different, so it's very hard to design a proper study of protein consumption and its effect on gains in a way that can apply to all; perhaps this approach is the actual source of the problem.
all of that is ok to say and have as an opinion, but there are other studies that show similar results to this one, and none that i've ever seen or found that showed any statistically significant difference in lean mass gained going over .8g/lb. Blood markers like nitrogen retention are nice, but I don't think anyone goes to a bodybuildiing competition to compare bloodwork.

Mind you that .8g/lb is for natural, not chemically enhanced. And if going to 2g/lb doesn't make a statistically significant difference in a month, then it won't make a noticeable difference in a year either. Do I sometimes eat more protein than that? Sure, i've capped out at around 550g in one day. half a pound of venison sausage with 6 eggs for breakfast, a pound of ground beef for lunch, and a 24 oz ribeye for dinner, with milk during the day and cottage cheese before bed. But all of that I ate because I wanted to eat it, not because I thought I need it to grow. I tend to shoot for getting the .6-.8g / lb from solid food (counting cottage cheese or yogurt but not counting milk) and if I go over that I'm fine, if I don't theres no evidence it matters.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
in trained people, not beginners

[h=1]Influence of protein intake and training status on nitrogen balance and lean body mass[/h]
+ Author Affiliations
  • Department of Physical Education and Pediatrics, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.
[h=2]Abstract[/h]The present study examined the effects of training status (endurance exercise or body building) on nitrogen balance, body composition, and urea excretion during periods of habitual and altered protein intakes. Experiments were performed on six elite bodybuilders, six elite endurance athletes, and six sedentary controls during a 10-day period of normal protein intake followed by a 10-day period of altered protein intake. The nitrogen balance data revealed that bodybuilders required 1.12 times and endurance athletes required 1.67 times more daily protein than sedentary controls. Lean body mass (density) was maintained in bodybuilders consuming 1.05 g protein.kg-1.day-1. Endurance athletes excreted more total daily urea than either bodybuilders or controls. We conclude that bodybuilders during habitual training require a daily protein intake only slightly greater than that for sedentary individuals in the maintenance of lean body mass and that endurance athletes require daily protein intakes greater than either bodybuilders or sedentary individuals to meet the needs of protein catabolism during exercise
in the bodybuilders, who had the highest prtein need vs sedentary people lean mass was still maintained at 1.05g/kg which is .48g/lb.

this one

http://jap.physiology.org/content/73/5/1986.short

Leucine kinetic and nitrogen balance (NBAL) methods were used to determine the dietary protein requirements of strength athletes (SA) compared with sedentary subjects (S). Individual subjects were randomly assigned to one of three protein intakes: low protein (LP) = 0.86 g protein.kg-1.day-1, moderate protein (MP) = 1.40 g protein.kg-1.day-1, or high protein (HP) = 2.40 g protein.kg-1.day-1 for 13 days for each dietary treatment. NBAL was measured and whole body protein synthesis (WBPS) and leucine oxidation were determined from L-[1–13C]leucine turnover. NBAL data were used to determine that the protein intake for zero NBAL for S was 0.69 g.kg-1.day-1 and for SA was 1.41 g.kg-1.day-1. A suggested recommended intake for S was 0.89 g.kg-1.day-1 and for SA was 1.76 g.kg-1.day-1. For SA, the LP diet did not provide adequate protein and resulted in an accommodated state (decreased WBPS vs. MP and HP), and the MP diet resulted in a state of adaptation [increase in WBPS (vs. LP) and no change in leucine oxidation (vs. LP)]. The HP diet did not result in increased WBPS compared with the MP diet, but leucine oxidation did increase significantly, indicating a nutrient overload. For S the LP diet provided adequate protein, and increasing protein intake did not increase WBPS. On the HP diet leucine oxidation increased for S. These results indicated that the MP and HP diets were nutrient overloads for S. There were no effects of varying protein intake on indexes of lean body mass (creatinine excretion, body density) for either group. In summary, protein requirements for athletes performing strength training are greater than for sedentary individuals and are above current Canadian and US recommended daily protein intake requirements for young healthy males.
no difference between 1.4g/kg and 2.4g/kg (.64g/lb + 1.1g/lb)

http://www.nutritionjrnl.com/article/S0899-9007(04)00100-5/references
Acute endurance exercise results in the oxidation of several amino acids. The total amount of amino acid oxidation during endurance exercise amounts to only 1–6% of the total energy cost of exercise. The branched chain amino acid, leucine, has been most often studied in relation to endurance exercise. Leucine is oxidized by the enzyme, branched-chain oxo-acid dehydrogenase (BCOAD). BCOAD is relatively inactive at rest (∼4–7%) and is activated at the onset of exercise by dephosphorylation (to about 25%). After a period of endurance exercise training, the activation of BCOAD and amino acid oxidation are attenuated, however the total amount of BCOAD enzyme is up-regulated. A low energy and/or carbohydrate intake will increase amino acid oxidation and total protein requirements. With adequate energy and carbohydrate intake, low to moderate intensity endurance activity has little impact on dietary protein requirements and 1.0 gPRO/kg/d is sufficient. The only situation where dietary protein requirements exceed those for relatively sedentary individuals is in top sport athletes where the maximal requirement is ∼1.6 gPRO/kg/d. Although most endurance athletes get enough protein to support any increased requirements, those with low energy or carbohydrate intakes may require nutritional advice to optimize dietary protein intake.

http://www.kriswragg.co.uk/pdf/9898.pdf

Nitrogen balance has long been recognized as an inherently flawed method for

determining protein needs because of a number of methodological limitations such

as implausibly high nitrogen balances typically observed with high protein intakes,

increased economy of nitrogen use with low protein intakes, and often estimated

rather than measured dermal and miscellaneous obligatory losses of nitrogen

(33).
and also shows 1.6g/kg (.73g/lb) as the highest number from reviewing other studies that anyone has shown to have as a need to maintain muscle mass (ok not gain).

Keep in mind that for gains, a pound of muscle is about 160g of protein. Without being chemically enhanced, significantly more than 1/4lb a week of actual muscle is unlikely. Even calling it a half pound, thats 80g of protein for the week extra, or a little more than 11g/day.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
all of that is ok to say and have as an opinion, but there are other studies that show similar results to this one, and none that i've ever seen or found that showed any statistically significant difference in lean mass gained going over .8g/lb. Blood markers like nitrogen retention are nice, but I don't think anyone goes to a bodybuildiing competition to compare bloodwork. Mind you that .8g/lb is for natural, not chemically enhanced.
There are plenty of articles out there. Refer back to the paper for some more references.

Regarding nitrogen retention, lol @ the comparing bloodwork. And of course it's not for the chemically enhanced, as we should all know how ramped up their muscle metabolism is.

And if going to 2g/lb doesn't make a statistically significant difference in a month, then it won't make a noticeable difference in a year either. Do I sometimes eat more protein than that? Sure, i've capped out at around 550g in one day. half a pound of venison sausage with 6 eggs for breakfast, a pound of ground beef for lunch, and a 24 oz ribeye for dinner, with milk during the day and cottage cheese before bed. But all of that I ate because I wanted to eat it, not because I thought I need it to grow. I tend to shoot for getting the .6-.8g / lb from solid food (counting cottage cheese or yogurt but not counting milk) and if I go over that I'm fine, if I don't theres no evidence it matters.
But these guys have not lifted before. What muscle gains is one making their first month of training other than enough to recover what was torn and some spare change? There's a pretty substantial neurological adaptation process that takes place the first month of training where muscles never routinely used before begin to be innervated. This study should have been extended to that far out, though God knows it was probably hard enough to incentivice (is this a word?) the participants to eat one of their paper diets.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This is very contradictory to all the broscience out there, which is great. I get anywhere from gram/lb to 30g less than body weight most of the time and thought I was depriving myself.

Also I keep peanut butter and milk at work if I feel I'm lacking. Yogurt is another easy one. The yogurt 2lb'ers with a little whey powder are a nice little snack and can be upwards of 50-60g.
The thing is, I guess it's fair to call it bro science as a way to say it's not real science (or at least what the claims are are not true). But a lot of broscience is true or factual within the context of a lifter who juices. Like eating 6 meals a day, killing 400g+++ protein a day, and lifting with excessive volume, sure that's beneficial, to the enhanced. But natural athletes operate under different parameters.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
The thing is, I guess it's fair to call it bro science as a way to say it's not real science (or at least what the claims are are not true). But a lot of broscience is true or factual within the context of a lifter who juices. Like eating 6 meals a day, killing 400g+++ protein a day, and lifting with excessive volume, sure that's beneficial, to the enhanced. But natural athletes operate under different parameters.
I was more leaning towards the people on here that think something is working for them and then tell another person (based on assumption) as if it were scientifically proven. Some do 2g per lb. I'm not against it, but if someone can get away with doing under the total body weight per gram then I'm all for it for those busy work days. A lot of info in the supplement world does come from our trial and error, I do agree with that.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There are plenty of articles out there. Refer back to the paper for some more references.

Regarding nitrogen retention, lol @ the comparing bloodwork. And of course it's not for the chemically enhanced, as we should all know how ramped up their muscle metabolism is.

But these guys have not lifted before. What muscle gains is one making their first month of training other than enough to recover what was torn and some spare change? There's a pretty substantial neurological adaptation process that takes place the first month of training where muscles never routinely used before begin to be innervated. This study should have been extended to that far out, though God knows it was probably hard enough to incentivice (is this a word?) the participants to eat one of their paper diets.
Look at the other studies I posted, they aren't all on beginners.

And don't say there are articles out there, as articles are opinion pieces and meaningless scientifically. I've looked for studies showing anything different, but haven't found a single one showing any benefit over .8g/lb