Tilapia (great for dieting or not??)

Russ Allen

Russ Allen

Awards
Wanted to get everyones feedback and opinions on Tilapia!!!! WE all eat it.. How great is it really for Dieting ect.... Is it the secret to thinner skin during contest prep? Is the nutritional value really that great? Lets hear it guys....

J

jared767

Awards
Tilapia nutrition

Tilapia (cooked, dry heat), 3.5 oz (100g)

Calories: 128 kcal
Protein: 26 g
Carbohydrate: 0 g
Total Fat: 3 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Unsaturated fat: 2 g
Transfat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 57 mg
Fiber: 0 g

It appears that tilapia provides a good amount of protein and less calories. In addition, it doesn't contain carbs

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I love tilapia when dieting down. I eat it a couple times a week. Great amount of protein, low Cal's, omegas, win!!

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
THe problem with talapia is two fold.

First, in my opinion, it tastes like ass.

Second, the talapia you buy in the supermarket is farm raised and quite high in omega-6 fatty acids. In fact, you'll get more omega-3s from a bowl of spinach than farm raised talapia.

Br

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Second, the talapia you buy in the supermarket is farm raised and quite high in omega-6 fatty acids. In fact, you'll get more omega-3s from a bowl of spinach than farm raised talapia.
Tilapia isn't high in any kind of fat. There are only 3g per 3.5 oz of fish.

O

OafMister

Awards
Tilapia smells like a hookers wizard sleeve...but ill choke it down when need be lmao

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
If its FRESH....tilapia should not smell bad whatsoever. Also, the main benefit of it is that it is virtually TASTELESS...thats the reason whatever you flavor it with? that is basically what you taste....to me that is a good thing. every so often I want that fishy taste (as in salmon or flounder), that you find in the more fatty fish....but tilapia is good in that its similar to chicken breast. just flavor it and it has almost no fat and tons of protein. those that are getting smelly tilapia that has a strong taste? not sure where you are getting it, but don't get it there anymore. Like previously stated though, TONS of protein and very little calories but doesn't have the greatest amount of omega's since its a very low fat fish......

S

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
^^^I was thinking a lot of the same stuff. If you think it's fishy, soak it in a little milk over night and then let it marinade in whatever you choose. I like to use olive oil and whatever seasoning I'm in the mood for.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
the lack of omega 3's can easily be compensated for, im a big fan of fish year round but stick mostly to salmon wen i diet down alittle

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
I take 5 fish oil caps a day no matter what, so I don't really look to the fish for the omegas....more the protein, and a low calorie source of protein (as opposed to say beef with all that fat, which is good sometimes). But I like to put some lemon juice on it if I have it, or if not then some spray butter....then apply some adobo seasoning, or some bayou-spicy type seasoning since I like heat. too damn much sodium, but it tastes good...then broil it up at about a minute an ounce, careful not to overcook it. :D

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
I know a few people who really start to see themselves peel away when they switch to an all fish diet. The advantage is that it breaks down quickly and doesnt retain as much water as chicken per say. The last 2 weeks of competition are strictly flounder and tilapia, occasional salmon. It is almost tasteless and odorless which makes it very versatile coking wise and you dont get sick of it too fast.

KOArtist

KOArtist

Awards
Tilapia eat ****, so it wouldn't be surprising if they smelled like **** too.

SMC USA

SMC USA

Awards
Fish, is just like p****, if it smells bad .. don't eat it ..

Tilapia rocks.. easy and fast to cook .. good source of protien, unlimited to what flavors you can get into with it, inexpensive and mixes with anything..
Stir fry with some veggies and steak makes a great low carb high protien meal...,

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Fish, is just like p****, if it smells bad .. don't eat it ..

Tilapia rocks.. easy and fast to cook .. good source of protien, unlimited to what flavors you can get into with it, inexpensive and mixes with anything..
Stir fry with some veggies and steak makes a great low carb high protien meal...,
I like talapia a lot, ate so much on p-mag, hated p-mag & haven't had fish since

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I think its a great choice quick and easy and you can buy it cheap. Single serving packets. Throw some lemon and lime zest with pepper and its very easy to digest. Good to woof down!

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was kinda going to say the same thing Zir said. Nutritionally speaking, it's pretty empty. But as a lean fish, it'll definitely help you get ripped.

I actually have only cut down (successfully) once, and I didn't use fish, but the next time I do I'll probably do salmon just because it tastes awesome and has some high quality fat. Plus it's cheap at Sam's Club.

MattPorter

MattPorter

Banned
Awards
  • Established
We all use it because its cheap and easy.

I was my leanest on flounder. That mushy **** was eaten 16 oz at a time and I was transparent.

It sucks the proteins breakdown super quick so it essentially gets over cooked really easy and turns very mushy.

I ate my fish mush sauce for 6 weeks straight and it paid off as my condition was the best ever.

-Matt

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Dude, flounder is amazing! Love it to death.

There's a chinese buffet in these parts that barely overdoes their food in sauce and breading, and they serve baked flounder. I tear that **** up so hard, I'm talking 3 mountain-pile plates of it.

O

OafMister

Awards
We all use it because its cheap and easy.

I was my leanest on flounder. That mushy **** was eaten 16 oz at a time and I was transparent.

It sucks the proteins breakdown super quick so it essentially gets over cooked really easy and turns very mushy.

I ate my fish mush sauce for 6 weeks straight and it paid off as my condition was the best ever.

-Matt
LOL @ fish mush sauce

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
From a nutritional and price standpoint, I would rather eat whiting. Better profile of fatty acids and lower price.

Br

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I ate tilapia three out of the last 4 days.......and it was good as a muthafukca! :D
Wow that's cool enjoy your doubles and fake ass nuggets on the weekend.

:joke:

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I eat pizza pretty much every monday....but I got to be in the mood for mcdonalds....only a few times a month.....BlTCH!!!!!!! :D
Makes me bloat and hit the John a lot!

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Had tilapia today with sweet potato and cauliflower. Dinner is salmon.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Mcdonalds tastes good as a muthafuqa while you are eating it, but you feel like shyt the remainder of the day and may end up on the toilet for longer than usual. :D
U use recompadrol u Bítch, recompadrol fixes all!

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Your body knows whats good for it and it lets you know. ;)
I let that toilet know and a few co workers know.

Call it a blessing lmao....

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I will now, I didn't know what the "in thing" was for that purpose nowadays....back in the day it was r-ALA....not sure if that is still en vogue....
Lol
wanted to phuck those girls. ;)

MattPorter

MattPorter

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Carls Jr is superior ----mcdeezys just doesnt pack the flame broiled quality....

I wish Carls would sponsor me for 1 meal a day in off-season. 8-10 bucks for a fast food meal is not cheap like it was years ago.

-Matt

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
Carls Jr is superior ----mcdeezys just doesnt pack the flame broiled quality....

I wish Carls would sponsor me for 1 meal a day in off-season. 8-10 bucks for a fast food meal is not cheap like it was years ago.

-Matt
for real...I went to arby's today (cheat day) and got a damn large roast beef and large fries with side of cheddar sauce....got-damn 9 bucks. Things ain't what they used to be. I think its the internet and the drugs fault, maybe even the "kids today's" fault.........hey, tell mcdonalds you'll sport the golden arches M logo on your trunks next time if they give you a one day free pass per week to the local MAC-donalds :D

MattPorter

MattPorter

Banned
Awards
  • Established
for real...I went to arby's today (cheat day) and got a damn large roast beef and large fries with side of cheddar sauce....got-damn 9 bucks. Things ain't what they used to be. I think its the internet and the drugs fault, maybe even the "kids today's" fault.........hey, tell mcdonalds you'll sport the golden arches M logo on your trunks next time if they give you a one day free pass per week to the local MAC-donalds :D
McDonalds just seems worse than the others --- I have no proof, but I have seen all the pictures of 2 yr old meals still intact and not rotten which is unappealing...

Never seen that done with other fast food meals --- but that just repulses me.

I'd rock the yellow Carls Star all over the place though.

-Matt

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
McDonalds just seems worse than the others --- I have no proof, but I have seen all the pictures of 2 yr old meals still intact and not rotten which is unappealing...

Never seen that done with other fast food meals --- but that just repulses me.

I'd rock the yellow Carls Star all over the place though.

-Matt
I'm going to google those pictures....

Hell now I know if I ever go to space or a deserted island to bring 2 trash bags full of mcdonalds haha

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Did this thread really go from tilapia to fast food?

MattPorter

MattPorter

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Not sure how the topic changed but the point of the matter is this --

Tilapia works due to the price and also the somewhat neutral flavor

Yes it is a bottom feeder and a pro-inflammatory fish, but there are only so many grams of fat per ounce.

Flounder is another cheap alternative but hard to cook without turning it into mush......due to fragile proteins being altered by heat.

-Matt

J

jared767

Awards
Wanted to get everyones feedback and opinions on Tilapia!!!! WE all eat it.. How great is it really for Dieting ect.... Is it the secret to thinner skin during contest prep? Is the nutritional value really that great? Lets hear it guys....
A grilled tilapia from Long John Silver's has 110 calories, 1 g sat fat, 250mg sodium, 1g carbs, and 22g protein.

I guess that should answer your question. And just a suggestion, use a nutrition calculator to help you check the stats.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Flounder is another cheap alternative but hard to cook without turning it into mush......due to fragile proteins being altered by heat.
One time I tried using all flounder instead of tilapia and started peeling away pretty quick. Yeah its annoying to cook and smalls/tastes much more fishy but if you wanna look like paper thin skin it helps

S

SupremeMMA

Awards
I don't like fish but I can tolerate Tilapia. It's so hard to find some that isn't farm raised.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I wonder why? What would make your body do this?

One time I tried using all flounder instead of tilapia and started peeling away pretty quick. Yeah its annoying to cook and smalls/tastes much more fishy but if you wanna look like paper thin skin it helps

J

jared767

Awards
I love Jalapeno garlic tilapia at Carino's Italian. With 51 g protein and 36g carbs, it goes well for me. Although I should watch the sodium

MattPorter

MattPorter

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I believe it is less calories per ounce. something like 80-90 per 4 ounces. Very close to orange roughy. I was eating 16 oz at a time.... when you are starved and super lean ANYTHING taste good...

-Matt

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Amen to that
I believe it is less calories per ounce. something like 80-90 per 4 ounces. Very close to orange roughy. I was eating 16 oz at a time.... when you are starved and super lean ANYTHING taste good...-Matt

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
I always believed because its easier to digest so the body carries less water and doesnt slow metabolism. On the opposite spectrum chicken is kinda rough and slows metabolism. Whether thats the reason or not Im not 100% on but it seems to hold true! But Mr Porter does bring up a good point on both accounts.

Just made myself some albacore tuna steak. YUM!