Can someone clear this up? protein myth?

Machwon1

Awards
  • Established
OK so..whats he deal here... is it 1.o gram-1.5 gram of protein per pound or is it per KG?

I see this all the time... I seen some say its .6-.8 per KG.... whats the verdict...

heres my diet does it have enough protein?

Breakfast
- weight control oatmeal 7 grams of protein
- 2 cups of milk 16 grams of protein

Lunch
- big bowl of beef chilli (93/7) about 50 grams of protein
- apple

Snack
- lean cusine tv dinner about 15-20 grams of protein and only 200-300 calories

dinner
- depends but either pork,beef,vension, chicken usally around 40 grams protein

only on m/w/f do I have 1 protein shake while im working out which is made with milk and has 40 grams of protein...

SOOOOOO I weigh 189.... if its per pound im to far under.. if its KG im at 1.7-2grams per kg.... just right.... Confused!!!

on workout days im getting roughly 170 grams of protein.....
and non workout days roughly 130.....

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
aim for 1g/lb daily. Why reducing your protein on non workout days? you grow during rest.

The Cold

Awards
If I am trying to put on muscle mass I find that 2 grams per pound is optimal for me. If dieting I shoot for 1 gram per with a minimum of .75 grams per pound on really low calorie days, but do not stay in a protein deficit (less than 1gram per LB) for more than a couple days at a time. Three pounds of relatively lean meat and a couple scoops of protein powder should be fine for you if you're looking to add mass, if dieting just add a little bit more protein and see what happens.

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
I know it's hard buy try your best to get in 1.5g/lb and if u come up short at least you'll hit your g/lb goal

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Most people are taking in much more protein than you need to build muscle. This article will give you a little more insight...

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/general-chat/191314-truth-how-much.html
Pretty good article.

All the studies I've come across have shown no differences in lean mass or strength gains between 1g/lb and >1g/lb in natural athletes.

People don't realize that it takes 2200-3000 kcal of energy to build 1 pound (450g) of muscle. And that muscle will likely be comrpised of about 150-200 g of actual protein.

Br

The Cold

Awards
I will never rely on an article to formulate my macro needs (or wants). I will only rely on experience. If I want to pack on mass and recover from my workouts, I need a lot of protein.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
I will never rely on an article to formulate my macro needs (or wants). I will only rely on experience. If I want to pack on mass and recover from my workouts, I need a lot of protein.
you seem to have answered your own question.....end thread....

GreenEarth

GreenEarth

Awards
I find I grow best with 1.5, but that's been after a few years of manipulation in diet. As a starting point, definitely read the article and see how their recommendations work for you :)

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
ive been sayn this for years, everyone focuses on protein and neglects carbs and fat

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
ive been sayn this for years, everyone focuses on protein and neglects carbs and fat
^^^^

And how does one discern if its the added protein or just the added calories that promote muscle growth?

Protein is the building blocks, but it requires 2500-3000 kcals or to supply the energy needed to construct one pound of muscle.

Br

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
^^^^

And how does one discern if its the added protein or just the added calories that promote muscle growth?

Protein is the building blocks, but it requires 2500-3000 kcals or to supply the energy needed to construct one pound of muscle.

Br

Agreed. Well said. :goodpost:

alexoc949

alexoc949

Awards
  • Established
how many calories is that? i'd be hungry as **** eating that...