The Truth About Low and Non-fat Foods

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.6%

The Truth About Low and Non-fat Foods

While most of us think that fats in foods make us fat, the truth is: too much of any macronutrients that results to higher calories for the day, is what makes us really fat.

I read somewhere that low or non fat foods are usually filled with sugar to make up for the flavor that was taken out.
    For example: Low Fat Skippy Peanut Butter

Peanut Butter is supposed to be loaded with healthy, monounsaturated fats which should be good for us since they provide a number of the fat soluble vitamins and minerals required by our body. Well, the manufacturers take them out so they can say it has low fat. And then, they add a lot of sugar to make up for the flavor, which adds more calories than the 'normal fatty' Skippy Peanut Butter. Sugar can make you fat because it causes insulin release when glycogen stores are already filled, thus, it is stored as fat.

I actually went down to check my non-fat yogurt and was surprised to see that it was actually filled with sugar! It has 33 g of sugar and 0 fats!

2. Idiot Savant
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.05%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Food label manipulation has many different avenues it can take.
    ~ Nothing can kill the Grimace!!

3. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.6%

Quote Originally Posted by prld2gr8ns View Post
    Food label manipulation has many different avenues it can take.
    You bet.
    •   

4. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.78%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

yeah, they usually put in more carbs to make up for the low/no fat. like in salad dressings for instance. usually the extra carbs are not insane, but since carbs are 4 calories per gram and fat is 9 calories per gram...if you take out a specific amount of fat grams and substitute the same amount of carb grams, well the calorie content drops....so it looks better on the label, and it IS less calories. Now if the calories are the same in the no-fat and full-fat versions of a product? well that is stupid and you may as well use the full fat version in my opinion. I will say that if you eat "too much" protein, that it actually should be a GOOD thing since its harder for your body to break down and utilize, extra fat is bad since it = extra calories of course, but i say extra carbs are the worst of the 3 since it is excess calories AND has an effect on insulin and blood sugar. Reason I could care less about "low fat" or "no fat"....I'll use the original version and take the fat over extra carbs/sugars.....
  5. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.95%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

The average American is fat because the Average American reads BOLD PRINT only on labels...Gimmicks only fool the fools!

Similar Forum Threads

1. The Truth
    By iron addict in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-30-2012, 10:28 AM
  2. Replies: 956
    Last Post: 03-08-2012, 12:05 AM
  3. Any truth to this
    By BAD_MO_FO in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-31-2004, 04:02 PM