Oils....

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
If given a choice of coconut oil or olive oil over food for fat burning, what would you pick?
Given a low carb at less than 75g per day (~1g/kg)

counterspy

counterspy

Awards
I'd make use of both. In fact, I do sort of use both, but realistically, I end up eating the EVCO straight but using the Olive Oil to coat chicken or pork so that the seasoning sticks better. Given the recent postings about Olive Oil, I am now tempted to get a new bottle and start taking a shot or two of it before and after work.

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
given one or the other i would say coconut oil

Works very well, and if you go over your caloric intake it wont effect you much. Also it helps reduce hunger. It also can increase t3

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ideally, a mix would be good. However, if I was to go with one it would be extra virgin olive oil. Simply because it is cheaper and fits into my college student budget.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
^^^^This.

Coconut oil FTW
If doing paleo, I eat lean protein and lots of veggies ie broccoli and cauliflower, limited starch to post workout, do I add fat to my meals (evco) if trying to lose fat?

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
EVCO

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Thought so...tastes better too...

So lean meat ie lean Ass piece of chicken breast and 1 head of broccoli with a small amount of EVCO over broccoli but still eating caloric deficit?

What are your thoughts on wholegrain mustard?no sugar no salt added and it's only got some vinegar in it to give it consistency?

kaikara

kaikara

Awards
  • Established
Coconut Oil

It's MCT's so your body uses them for energy easier.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Coconut Oil

It's MCT's so your body uses them for energy easier.
So lean meat ie lean Ass piece of chicken breast and 1 head of broccoli with a small amount of EVCO over broccoli but still eating caloric deficit?

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've recently been trying coconut oil even though I've read its not necessarily a good thing on a low carb diet, particularly the Metabolic diet. The body ends up using the MCTs as energy instead of the long chain fatty acids that make up most body fat. I'm probably doing myself a dis-service by using them.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
I've recently been trying coconut oil even though I've read its not necessarily a good thing on a low carb diet, particularly the Metabolic diet. The body ends up using the MCTs as energy instead of the long chain fatty acids that make up most body fat. I'm probably doing myself a dis-service by using them.
Exactly what I read...article came from a pt in uk

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
But I'm doing paleo...major diff to metabolic typing diet

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dan Duchaine doesnt oppose the use of MCTs on a keto diet and I believe Mcdonald also doesnt oppose their use.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ive been using both lately, good to see they are both good for me haha

kaikara

kaikara

Awards
  • Established
Dan Duchaine doesnt oppose the use of MCTs on a keto diet and I believe Mcdonald also doesnt oppose their use.
I used Coconut oil in the morning on the Keto diet for a boost of energy.

jared767

Awards
I also use both. Although you might find this helpful (just read it from another website)

The extra calorie burn produced by coconut or olive oil might give you a slight edge, but only if you make room by eating less of something else. A tablespoon of any oil sets you back around 120 calories.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Guys, I'm gonna type out a page from my Metabolic Diet book about MCT's,

"Stay Away From These"

"When you're in the gym you might find people discussing a number of different nutritional supplements and other compounds. Many of these compounds have little effects on weight and fat loss and on lean body mass while some may be useful only under certain conditions.

For example, you've likely heard of the substances bee pollen and royal jelly (the substance produced by bees as food for the queen bee.) Though the may ultimately present some medicinal benefits, research has failed to support any link with the kind of weight and fat loss, and fitness goals we have with the Metabolic Diet.

Medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) also get a big thumb down for use with the Metabolic Diet. Very few foods actually contains MCTs, but you'll find some popular MCT supplements out there, mostly derived from coconut oil. Many people in a higher-fat regimen are bullish on these products. They say, "It's fat, why can't we use it?". The fact is that MCTs bypass the whole energy pathway we're trying to establish with the Metabolic Diet and can be very counterproductive.

Not that MCTs can't be helpful. They can be of great use on a diet high in complex carbs because of their protein sparing effects. But on the Metabolic Diet, the body ends up using the MCTs for energy instead of the long chain fatty acids that make up most body fat. As such, we end up bypassing the very metabolic goals the Metabolic Diet is set up to achieve: to burn its own fat and use triglycerides as a primary energy source.

The long chain triglycerides utilized in the Metabolic Diet also have several advantages over the MCTs. They have an ever greater protein-sparing effect than the MCTs. And along with decreasing the formation of bodyfat, they increase the amount of existing bodyfat broken down and greatly decrease bodyfat levels.

Don't be tempted to run down to the health food store and buy some MCTs figuring it's the kind of "good fat" you should use on this diet. They'll acutally work against the diet in terms of fat breakdown and bodyshaping."

-Page 227 of "The Metabolic Diet" By Mauro Di Pasquale.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I started eating coconut oil about 2 weeks ago because supposedly it will help with the low absorption problem with ursolic acid/ursobolic. I knew that it could cause problems because I have followed the metabolic diet for years but I'm hopeful it will help with ursobolic. I don't know maybe I'm screwed. It tastes pretty damn good though. I eat it right out of the jar.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sup T

If you are doing the metabolic diet/anabolic diet; I tend to agree "somewhat" with the mindset of avoiding the MCT's

That said, what he fails to mention in that brief perspective is that fat burning is not only MUCH more complex than the linear depiction he conveys but moreover, he neglects to mention that fat burning lasts well-past the "training session" time period.

So, to play devil's advocate here; if you fail to burn bodyfat DURING your workout in lieu of the MCT's, fine - well - tose MCT's can only last so long (unless you are unsensical ingesting copious amounbts of course). PWO fat burning will still take place.

ALL forms of ketogenic diets; the Anabolic one included, can impart lethargy to some degree. I speak from experience. A shot of MCT's pre-w/o can ameliorate this lack of energy thusly giving you a better workout - end result? MORE FAT BURNING and MORE MUSCLE ;)

PS: This part has more holes in in than swiss cheese. WTH

The long chain triglycerides utilized in the Metabolic Diet also have several advantages over the MCTs. They have an ever greater protein-sparing effect than the MCTs. And along with decreasing the formation of bodyfat, they increase the amount of existing bodyfat broken down and greatly decrease bodyfat levels.
1) Getting in the proper amount of calories (any type of fat AND/OR protein will have an anti-catabolic effect)
2) BCAA's - especially the timing of; will also protect you ifd you are concerned
3) I'd LOVE to see the PROOF for his comments related to long chain tri's possessing certain attributes that magically.....
physiologically increase the amount of existing bodyfat broken down and greatly decrease bodyfat levels
Errrrrrrrrrrrr HUH!?!?!?!!?!?!

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sup T

If you are doing the metabolic diet/anabolic diet; I tend to agree "somewhat" with the mindset of avoiding the MCT's

That said, what he fails to mention in that brief perspective is that fat burning is not only MUCH more complex than the linear depiction he conveys but moreover, he neglects to mention that fat burning lasts well-past the "training session" time period.

So, to play devil's advocate here; if you fail to burn bodyfat DURING your workout in lieu of the MCT's, fine - well - tose MCT's can only last so long (unless you are unsensical ingesting copious amounbts of course). PWO fat burning will still take place.

That last quote you posted is not anywhere in the body or anywhere in what I posted. I swear it is not. If I'm missing it let me know where it is. Is it in the begging or more towards then end?

ALL forms of ketogenic diets; the Anabolic one included, can impart lethargy to some degree. I speak from experience. A shot of MCT's pre-w/o can ameliorate this lack of energy thusly giving you a better workout - end result? MORE FAT BURNING and MORE MUSCLE ;)

PS: This part has more holes in in than swiss cheese. WTH

1) Getting in the proper amount of calories (any type of fat AND/OR protein will have an anti-catabolic effect)
2) BCAA's - especially the timing of; will also protect you ifd you are concerned
3) I'd LOVE to see the PROOF for his comments related to long chain tri's possessing certain attributes that magically.....

Errrrrrrrrrrrr HUH!?!?!?!!?!?!

This was only an excerpt of the book. He goes into much more detail throughout the whole book. The metabolic diet is also not a ketogenic diet. There are references to studies included in the book. I can try and look them up for you. So what I posted was and is out of context because the people reading it have not read the rest of his book. I'm looking at the book now and can't find that last quote you posted. I'll keep looking and post studies I can find.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That last quote posted isn't anywhere in what I've posted. I looked for it couldn't find it. Is it in the beginning or towards the end?

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ok here is the reference study from the book posted after this sentence, "The long chain triglycerides utilized in the Metabolic Diet also have several advantages over MCTs. They have an even greater protein-sparing effect than the MCTs."

"And along with decreasing the formation of bodyfat, they increase the amount of existing bodyfat breakdown"- Study for that portion of text.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Im not smart enough to argue against it but I just know it my heart it's wrong! :p

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I love the Metabolic Diet. Not only has it helped me lose fat and gain strength and muscle but it also helps control and almost eliminate my IBS symptoms. I'll probably continue taking the coconut oil for a while anyway. As long as I don't start laying down a ton of bodyfat. I've got four new bottles to go through anyway. Stuff is damn tasty, it is like being able to have candy on the low-carb portion of the diet.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
I love the Metabolic Diet. Not only has it helped me lose fat and gain strength and muscle but it also helps control and almost eliminate my IBS symptoms. I'll probably continue taking the coconut oil for a while anyway. As long as I don't start laying down a ton of bodyfat. I've got four new bottles to go through anyway. Stuff is damn tasty, it is like being able to have candy on the low-carb portion of the diet.
Put it in fridge and have a spoon before bed..good for sleep

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I ran it back in college but went NUTS on the carb refeeds (weekends) LOL

PS: Coconut is great for IBS! LMAO

Touche! :p

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Im surprised it would not interfere with sleep due to the quick energy purported to give

Put it in fridge and have a spoon before bed..good for sleep

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't know why you would put it in the fridge though. Room temperature is perfect unless it is summer or hot inside.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
I don't know why you would put it in the fridge though. Room temperature is perfect unless it is summer or hot inside.
Aussie summer now melts it

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
If given a choice of coconut oil or olive oil over food for fat burning, what would you pick?
Given a low carb at less than 75g per day (~1g/kg)
Organic Extra V Olive Oil is the way to go!