ADA ****ing us out of jobs and monopolizing nutrition feild

1. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.32%
    Achievements Posting Pro

ADA ****ing us out of jobs and monopolizing nutrition feild

They are ****ing us. First of all the ADA has so many flaws its unreal. In terms of thinking and application. This bill they are trying to pass is absurd. It rules out so many health professionals, including myself. American Dietetic Association Speeds up its Race for Monopoly | Welcome to the Alliance for Natural Health - USA

2. Idiot Savant
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.06%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Having a degree in this field I can see both sides of the coin. It's funny, as most of the stuff complained about in the article about dieticians is also the same stuff didactic dietetic programs complain about with nutritionist and other health professionals.

The key, I believe, is that ADA is trying to create an atmosphere that would make the profession not only more lucrative, but more important in the long run. Which may not be such a bad thing.
    ~ Nothing can kill the Grimace!!

3. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.32%
    Achievements Posting Pro

i can see that,

i also know that there are yearly reviews done by the ADA in universities. They dont teach outside the box, nor do they want you too. Its brainwashing at its finest.

In the long run it shouldnt matter, RD or not. An RD only needs a bachelors degree, 1000 hours of experience and then pass the test. Problem with getting the experience is if from universities it is non paid. If you dont go through the universities, you wont find a job bc you only have a bachelors.

Most jobs require RD or Masters. Id rather not be associated with the ADA their curiculims are flawed as is their thinking. But if it passes and everyone needs an RD, people who actually goto school, further their education, and apply it better will not be able to practice nutrition.
    •   

4. Idiot Savant
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.06%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ssbackwards View Post
    i can see that,

i also know that there are yearly reviews done by the ADA in universities. They dont teach outside the box, nor do they want you too. Its brainwashing at its finest.
    That's the medical community in general. I'm not arguing with you there.

In the long run it shouldnt matter, RD or not. An RD only needs a bachelors degree, 1000 hours of experience and then pass the test. Problem with getting the experience is if from universities it is non paid. If you dont go through the universities, you wont find a job bc you only have a bachelors.
    A lot of programs offer a paid internship and plenty of programs are offered through hospitals and City/Community government. Finding a job is easy if you have the RD credential. If not, then you have to seek other avenues to apply your skill set such as a health department, private practice, etc. What matters most is your educational background in most of these matters.
    Most jobs require RD or Masters. Id rather not be associated with the ADA their curiculims are flawed as is their thinking. But if it passes and everyone needs an RD, people who actually goto school, further their education, and apply it better will not be able to practice nutrition.
    I agree with you, but let's not practice absolutes. I know plenty of people who practice nutrition that are far worse then an RD. It goes both ways. Nutrition is complicated and it's not something were one size fits all. The same can be applied to medicine. Would one person choose medical advice from someone who has a biology degree or an MD? Or how about someone that went to school for nursing but never got their RN license? Regulations have to take place somewhere and nothing is ever going to be designed to fit everyone perfectly. I agree that ADA is behind the times and they do need to change things, but in the end it could be potentially better then taking advice from a massage therapist or naturopath on nutrition (which is all currently legal in some states). Now saying that it's better then someone who has 100 + hrs of nutritional course work under their belt but isn't an RD is a little asinine that's for sure.

5. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.32%
    Achievements Posting Pro

i hear what you are saying.

There are some paid internships, i worked in a hospital, i HATED clinical, there wasnt much opporunity for me for sports nutrition internship

awell back in school just dont want it to not mean anything
  6. Idiot Savant
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.06%

i hear what you are saying.

There are some paid internships, i worked in a hospital, i HATED clinical, there wasnt much opporunity for me for sports nutrition internship

awell back in school just dont want it to not mean anything
    I was right there with you as well. I hated clinical and community. Clinical especially, as it's where most of the ADA regulations come into effect. There's a reason for that, I understand, but doesn't make it any better.

What are you back in school for?

7. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.61%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

You guys are dietitians?
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  8. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.32%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by prld2gr8ns View Post
    I was right there with you as well. I hated clinical and community. Clinical especially, as it's where most of the ADA regulations come into effect. There's a reason for that, I understand, but doesn't make it any better.

What are you back in school for?
    back in school do my masters took a hiatus to get some stuff up and running. So im doing a sports nutrition program.

The only thing i do not like about these schools is they really dont teach up to date research, and like being questioned. Theres no mention of leptin, no mention of snacking and insulin resistance, and absolutely no leaniency on diets other then the fact some are too low in carbs.

Science needs to be brought into this. They cant just use old research and opt out the stuff that negates it. Thats doing a disservive to everyone
  9. Idiot Savant
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.06%

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    You guys are dietitians?
    Got the degree (and then some). Opted for state certification as a Nutritionist as opposed to RD, though as of now none of that matters.
    back in school do my masters took a hiatus to get some stuff up and running. So im doing a sports nutrition program.

The only thing i do not like about these schools is they really dont teach up to date research, and like being questioned. Theres no mention of leptin, no mention of snacking and insulin resistance, and absolutely no leaniency on diets other then the fact some are too low in carbs.

Science needs to be brought into this. They cant just use old research and opt out the stuff that negates it. Thats doing a disservive to everyone
    Good luck on your schooling. It can be fun if you find the right program.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Ideas for Jobs
    By CrazyChemist in forum General Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-20-2009, 02:57 AM
  2. PT jobs at Bally's
    By WesleyAlpha in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-26-2009, 05:46 PM
  3. Jobs for BB'ers
    By Doug8796 in forum General Chat