How Can I Believe That Nutrient Timing Doesn't Matter? (Please Be Gentle)

Domenic

Domenic

Awards
  • Established
I want to believe so badly that I can just pick up a couple of tubs of a good blend and be done with it... but I've been programmed to believe that I need fast whey in water first thing in the morning, fast whey in water immediately post-workout, and slow casein before bed (or as an MRP).

If I were to drink Myofusion after my workout, it's not super-fast, so do I even need a shake? Can't I just eat food? In a world where every shake is a medium/ slow blend, shouldn't shakes only be used between meals? Since speed doesn't matter?

Please be gentle. :(

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Muscle is built over time and not in small, post-training window.

Besides, the research on "nutrient timing" is done on fasted endurance athletes.

Domenic

Domenic

Awards
  • Established
So I can wake up, eat a breakfast of whole foods, leave the gym and eat a meal of whole foods, and use a blend once or twice during the day just to fill gaps? I don't have to worry about morning catabolism or PWO insulin-spiking?

That sounds so crazy when I think about it!

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
So I can wake up, eat a breakfast of whole foods, leave the gym and eat a meal of whole foods, and use a blend once or twice during the day just to fill gaps? I don't have to worry about morning catabolism or PWO insulin-spiking?

That sounds so crazy when I think about it!
Yes.

I ususally use whey post workout and then go get a whole food meal, but other than that i try to eat whole foods. I suppliment with whey when this is not possible.

You can always drink liquid egg whites. Its like drinking whole food.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
As Rodja said, muscle is built over time, not in a short period of time. However, I do believe that nutrient timing is essential in some aspects. For example, breakfast. I do not want to have pure caesin when I wake up. Does that mean I want a very quick absorbing protein source either, no. I want the best of both worlds if possible. I will either have a protein shake (a blend such as myofusion, trutein, combat powder, etc.) or chicken with egg whites. In fact, I always have some egg whites with my all of my meals. I do not have the studies on hand, but there are some floating around that show a mix of aminos from different sources is more beneficial than one single source.

As far as postworkout is concerned, I like a shake and then a whole meal one hour later. I've used isolate, blends, and concentrate fr this shake and there has not been a difference in my physique. Right now I am using Iso-ology because I got it for a great price, I heard it tastes great (which it does!) and it has the added leucine which I like. Go with what you can afford.

Domenic

Domenic

Awards
  • Established
As Rodja said, muscle is built over time, not in a short period of time. However, I do believe that nutrient timing is essential in some aspects. For example, breakfast. I do not want to have pure caesin when I wake up. Does that mean I want a very quick absorbing protein source either, no. I want the best of both worlds if possible. I will either have a protein shake (a blend such as myofusion, trutein, combat powder, etc.) or chicken with egg whites. In fact, I always have some egg whites with my all of my meals. I do not have the studies on hand, but there are some floating around that show a mix of aminos from different sources is more beneficial than one single source.

As far as postworkout is concerned, I like a shake and then a whole meal one hour later. I've used isolate, blends, and concentrate fr this shake and there has not been a difference in my physique. Right now I am using Iso-ology because I got it for a great price, I heard it tastes great (which it does!) and it has the added leucine which I like. Go with what you can afford.
Measily reps. Thanks!

adnscmplx

Awards
What everyone has said is totally correct according to the published scientific evidence. Google Alan Aragon nutrient timing. He has written some great articles on the subject.