Carbs at Breakfast or NO?

Cantell

Awards
  • Established
Ok, I have always made the bulk of my carbs at breakfast, pre, and post workout. However (and I know everyone will have a different opinion since it relates to carbs), I READ THAT HIGH CARBS AT BREAKFAST is BAD, due to it lowering levels of GH "growth hormone" when it is at its highest first thing in the morning, and that you DONT want to create an insulin spike which is what causes GH levels to lower.

They said a HIGH fat and protein meal would be better to keep levels of GH higher for longer...

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Try it out and see how your body responds. Like you said, you'll get all different answers. Personally, if my preworkout meal is breakfast I have carbs, if not, then I have veggies. Cardio/OFF days, I do not have carbs at all.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think people take all of this stuff a little too seriously. Years ago I took EVERYTHING into consideration, made good progress, but constantly found myself thinking, what time is it, what do I eat here, how will this affect me, ect.. Then I decided not to take this as seriously (concerning ideas such as carbs in the morning affect GH, and so on). I'm not saying I just stopped working out and started eating pizza rolls all day, I just didn't pretend that I was prepping for an international bodybuilding competition. Turns out, I still made good progress as I got older, still looked good, just wasn't paying attention to EVERY fine detail.

I'm just saying, to make good progress, you don't have to be THAT detail oriented. Now, if that's what you want, then of course go for it. But I eventually realized that my goal was to look good, not to compete.

Even if you're trying to lose fat, I say it's okay to eat carbs in the morning, just figure out what you need. Don't worry about an insulin spike affecting GH levels, it's not like eating carbs is going to kill your muscle tissue or anything.

If you're trying to gain mass, then yeah, definitely eat carbs in the morning.

This reminds me of a guy on here once asking if he should wear socks when he sleeps because he'd heard that improved circulation would increase his GH levels at night. Hahaha

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What type O said.

Plus, lets not forget that eating in and of itself stimualtes insulin release. Eating a steak will causes a greater release in insulin than an isocaloric bowl of oatmeal.

Br

Alpha Mind

Awards
Ok, I have always made the bulk of my carbs at breakfast, pre, and post workout. However (and I know everyone will have a different opinion since it relates to carbs), I READ THAT HIGH CARBS AT BREAKFAST is BAD, due to it lowering levels of GH "growth hormone" when it is at its highest first thing in the morning, and that you DONT want to create an insulin spike which is what causes GH levels to lower.

They said a HIGH fat and protein meal would be better to keep levels of GH higher for longer...
If you're that worried about an insulin spike, just eat ezekiel bread with peanut butter or steel cut oats. Unless you're really trying to lose weight, don't worry about it.

jared767

Awards
Yup! Take it easy..If you take everything that you read seriously, you'll end up confused and frustrated. Just do whatever works for you

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
gh levels will rise and fall all dady bud, you can take a nap and there you you just realesed GH, the point is that tiny amount of GH isnt going to majorly effect you to the point it will make or brake you. your body is Chemistry in Movement its always changing/adapting i a little argument with the wife is sure to sway hormones one way or another, the point is you can never really perfect your body to be releasing gh and test only,, your gonna have cortisol, prolactin, insulin, estrogen.

jared767

Awards
I'd say, I'll keep on a properly balanced diet as it is very important when it comes to starting the day.

Let me quote an article I read (sorry, can't provide the link, or I'll be banned)

Maintaining a healthy diet is critical for men who want to stay on top of their game. One roadblock to success can be fad diets.

The Atkins diet said that carbs were bad and some who took this to heart began buying products like pork rinds (fried pig skin) because they had no carbohydrates.

The key is to strike a proper balance. While carbs may show up on one's gut in the form of visceral fat when ingested in excess, the brain needs glucose to function at its optimum level. Along with this, the body also needs protein to repair muscle to build and grow.

Carbohydrates are an ideal source of energy for the body. This is because they can be converted more readily into glucose, the form of sugar that's transported and used by the body, than proteins or fats can.

Even so, a diet too high in carbohydrates can upset the delicate balance of your body's blood sugar level, resulting in fluctuations in energy and mood which leave you feeling irritated and tired.

It is better to balance your intake of carbohydrates with protein, a little fat and fibre.