1. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.56%
    Achievements Reputation ProPosting Pro

Nightly protein shake??

Generally I have a nightly protein shake of milk mixed with casein protein before bed...however, I think it has caused me to bloat up quite a bit.

Any thought? Does anyone else tend to have a shake right before bed?

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.03%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting Pro

I usually eat at night, about 1-2 hours before I go to bed. It consists of whey, cottage cheese, cinnamon, and peanut butter mixed in a bowl with eggs, and maybe oilve oil on the side. I used to eat RIGHT before bed, but have noticed spacing it out allows me to sleep better. The bloat may be from the milk, milk can cause some people to bloat. But if it is just a bloat, who cares. You're about to go to sleep, not step on stage.
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  158 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.04%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation Authority

Quote Originally Posted by lboston
    Generally I have a nightly protein shake of milk mixed with casein protein before bed...however, I think it has caused me to bloat up quite a bit.

I do half a serving of weight gainer in milk 0-30 min. Before bed.
    •   

4. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.78%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

If I eat 1-2 hours before bedtime? no protein powder (this is most of the time)....if I don't eat near bedtime? I'd mix up a scoop or two of protein powder.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.37%
    Achievements Reputation Pro

Two scoops of casin with water every night .. Take half of my vitamins and other stuff also .. Muscle gets built while you sleep .. I like to make sure everything that's needed is there .. Also keeps me from waking up in the middle of the night hungry .. That Used to be a big problem .. Had to keep a shake next to the bed ..
  6. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'5"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.31%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityReputation VeteranPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Milk + casein is a good idea but the bloat can be annoying. What I do now is take a GDA (my choice is Slin Sane) right before I lay down. I wake up dry and with no bloat.
    Also wouldn't hurt to take a GI help supp like Gut Health to minimize some of the bloat related to "protein farts."
    Genomyx Rep
    www.genomyx.com
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.58%

Quote Originally Posted by FL3X MAGNUM View Post
    Milk + casein is a good idea but the bloat can be annoying. What I do now is take a GDA (my choice is Slin Sane) right before I lay down. I wake up dry and with no bloat.
    Also wouldn't hurt to take a GI help supp like Gut Health to minimize some of the bloat related to "protein farts."
    You dose a slin-sane right before going to bed? Im gonna have to try that woke up today with a slight bloat would like to get rid of that.

As for protein shake i usually take one about 2 hours before bed a whey/casein blend in water, only been doing it for the past few days normally didn't eat anything 2 hours before bed.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.22%

used to take slin-sane and casein at night, i also noticed some bloat. I was cutting at the time, and noticed my weight loss became stagnant when taking a shake before bed.
    Applied Nutriceuticals Lipotrophin-AM/PM Log - http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/173270-japs-cuttin-summer.html#post2832457
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.56%

Quote Originally Posted by FL3X MAGNUM
    Thanks for all the replies guys--flex, def going to look in to the two products you mentioned. Are they reasonable?

My Gi trac is all f-ckd anyway. Had cancer when I was younger in my liver, so they took out my gallbladder also...i sh1t like 5 times a day! Good def use some gut health!
  10. Banned
    Stats
    6'1"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.22%

I always have casein before bed and the only time I experience bloat is when I used milk... Milk is a big culprit for weight gain... If you can't tolerate casein in just water, get yourself a blender... throw in some ice, water and maybe a few berries or just a few packets of equal sweetener and blend it up that way and it will do you right... **** makes an excellent casein... works absolutely wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by lboston View Post

11. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.56%

Quote Originally Posted by dylangemelli
    I always have casein before bed and the only time I experience bloat is when I used milk... Milk is a big culprit for weight gain... If you can't tolerate casein in just water, get yourself a blender... throw in some ice, water and maybe a few berries or just a few packets of equal sweetener and blend it up that way and it will do you right... **** makes an excellent casein... works absolutely wonderful!
    I've out the milk in the Caesin shakes before bed and in the last week I've noticed a huge difference in how I feel/ look in he AM. I still drink about a half gallon of milk a day.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.22%

Quote Originally Posted by lboston View Post
    I've out the milk in the Caesin shakes before bed and in the last week I've noticed a huge difference in how I feel/ look in he AM. I still drink about a half gallon of milk a day.
    are you bulking? thats 8 servings of 12g of sugar, so 96g's of sugar from milk alone. Most of us dont get that in 2 days from all the foods we eat. If your trying to cut weight, cut the milk
    Applied Nutriceuticals Lipotrophin-AM/PM Log - http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/173270-japs-cuttin-summer.html#post2832457
  13. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.41%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityReputation VeteranPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

I mix a cup of Greek yogurt(plain) and a scoop of vanilla protein together before bed.
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons
  14. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.17%

I'm sorry..but do you guys think of protein shake to permanently use it as meal substitute? What happens if you stop using them?
  15. Banned
    Stats
    6'1"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.22%

absolutely EXCELLENT combination there!

Quote Originally Posted by AZMIDLYF View Post
    I mix a cup of Greek yogurt(plain) and a scoop of vanilla protein together before bed.
  16. Banned
    Stats
    6'1"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.22%

you are absolutely correct.... what a waste!!

Quote Originally Posted by DaJaP View Post
    are you bulking? thats 8 servings of 12g of sugar, so 96g's of sugar from milk alone. Most of us dont get that in 2 days from all the foods we eat. If your trying to cut weight, cut the milk
  17. Banned
    Stats
    6'1"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.22%

I am not quite sure what you mean by your phrasing here but I will attempt to answer this... A protein drink mid day can be used as a meal replacement... They are great for some extra nutrients and extra protein, however, you don't want to depend on them either... You need real food sources mixed in as well... If you stop using them, then you are obviously cutting out a good source of nutrients that you have been taking in... I think they are a definite for anyones diet but you just don't want to depend on them as a meal source... It's a nice extra option... This is to say, that you are already having your post workout shake and nightly one...

Quote Originally Posted by jared767 View Post
    I'm sorry..but do you guys think of protein shake to permanently use it as meal substitute? What happens if you stop using them?
  18. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.17%

Quote Originally Posted by dylangemelli View Post
    I am not quite sure what you mean by your phrasing here but I will attempt to answer this... A protein drink mid day can be used as a meal replacement... They are great for some extra nutrients and extra protein, however, you don't want to depend on them either... You need real food sources mixed in as well... If you stop using them, then you are obviously cutting out a good source of nutrients that you have been taking in... I think they are a definite for anyones diet but you just don't want to depend on them as a meal source... It's a nice extra option... This is to say, that you are already having your post workout shake and nightly one...
    Oh! Ok thanks! I was actually thinking of a product that was introduced to me by a friend which she used as meal substitute to lose weight. Thanks for taking your time...
  19. Banned
    Stats
    6'1"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.22%

no problem man... if you need any other help let me know

Quote Originally Posted by jared767 View Post
    Oh! Ok thanks! I was actually thinking of a product that was introduced to me by a friend which she used as meal substitute to lose weight. Thanks for taking your time...

Similar Forum Threads

1. Protein Drink vs. Protein Shake Plus
    By pizzathehut in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-27-2011, 01:50 PM
  2. Difference between protein shake and protein from meats
    By 1wickd6 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-19-2009, 10:12 AM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-13-2009, 08:24 PM
  4. Protein shake