Nightly protein shake??

lboston

lboston

Awards
Generally I have a nightly protein shake of milk mixed with casein protein before bed...however, I think it has caused me to bloat up quite a bit.

Any thought? Does anyone else tend to have a shake right before bed?

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I usually eat at night, about 1-2 hours before I go to bed. It consists of whey, cottage cheese, cinnamon, and peanut butter mixed in a bowl with eggs, and maybe oilve oil on the side. I used to eat RIGHT before bed, but have noticed spacing it out allows me to sleep better. The bloat may be from the milk, milk can cause some people to bloat. But if it is just a bloat, who cares. You're about to go to sleep, not step on stage.

live to lift

live to lift

Awards
Generally I have a nightly protein shake of milk mixed with casein protein before bed...however, I think it has caused me to bloat up quite a bit.

I do half a serving of weight gainer in milk 0-30 min. Before bed.

SMC USA

SMC USA

Awards
Two scoops of casin with water every night .. Take half of my vitamins and other stuff also .. Muscle gets built while you sleep .. I like to make sure everything that's needed is there .. Also keeps me from waking up in the middle of the night hungry .. That Used to be a big problem .. Had to keep a shake next to the bed ..

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Milk + casein is a good idea but the bloat can be annoying. What I do now is take a GDA (my choice is Slin Sane) right before I lay down. I wake up dry and with no bloat.
Also wouldn't hurt to take a GI help supp like Gut Health to minimize some of the bloat related to "protein farts."

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
Milk + casein is a good idea but the bloat can be annoying. What I do now is take a GDA (my choice is Slin Sane) right before I lay down. I wake up dry and with no bloat.
Also wouldn't hurt to take a GI help supp like Gut Health to minimize some of the bloat related to "protein farts."
You dose a slin-sane right before going to bed? Im gonna have to try that woke up today with a slight bloat would like to get rid of that.

As for protein shake i usually take one about 2 hours before bed a whey/casein blend in water, only been doing it for the past few days normally didn't eat anything 2 hours before bed.

DaJaP

DaJaP

Awards
used to take slin-sane and casein at night, i also noticed some bloat. I was cutting at the time, and noticed my weight loss became stagnant when taking a shake before bed.

lboston

lboston

Awards
Thanks for all the replies guys--flex, def going to look in to the two products you mentioned. Are they reasonable?

My Gi trac is all f-ckd anyway. Had cancer when I was younger in my liver, so they took out my gallbladder also...i sh1t like 5 times a day! Good def use some gut health!

dylangemelli

dylangemelli

Banned
Awards
I always have casein before bed and the only time I experience bloat is when I used milk... Milk is a big culprit for weight gain... If you can't tolerate casein in just water, get yourself a blender... throw in some ice, water and maybe a few berries or just a few packets of equal sweetener and blend it up that way and it will do you right... NTBM makes an excellent casein... works absolutely wonderful!

lboston

lboston

Awards
I always have casein before bed and the only time I experience bloat is when I used milk... Milk is a big culprit for weight gain... If you can't tolerate casein in just water, get yourself a blender... throw in some ice, water and maybe a few berries or just a few packets of equal sweetener and blend it up that way and it will do you right... NTBM makes an excellent casein... works absolutely wonderful!
I've out the milk in the Caesin shakes before bed and in the last week I've noticed a huge difference in how I feel/ look in he AM. I still drink about a half gallon of milk a day.

DaJaP

DaJaP

Awards
I've out the milk in the Caesin shakes before bed and in the last week I've noticed a huge difference in how I feel/ look in he AM. I still drink about a half gallon of milk a day.
are you bulking? thats 8 servings of 12g of sugar, so 96g's of sugar from milk alone. Most of us dont get that in 2 days from all the foods we eat. If your trying to cut weight, cut the milk

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I mix a cup of Greek yogurt(plain) and a scoop of vanilla protein together before bed.

J

jared767

Awards
I'm sorry..but do you guys think of protein shake to permanently use it as meal substitute? What happens if you stop using them?

dylangemelli

dylangemelli

Banned
Awards
you are absolutely correct.... what a waste!!

are you bulking? thats 8 servings of 12g of sugar, so 96g's of sugar from milk alone. Most of us dont get that in 2 days from all the foods we eat. If your trying to cut weight, cut the milk

dylangemelli

dylangemelli

Banned
Awards
I am not quite sure what you mean by your phrasing here but I will attempt to answer this... A protein drink mid day can be used as a meal replacement... They are great for some extra nutrients and extra protein, however, you don't want to depend on them either... You need real food sources mixed in as well... If you stop using them, then you are obviously cutting out a good source of nutrients that you have been taking in... I think they are a definite for anyones diet but you just don't want to depend on them as a meal source... It's a nice extra option... This is to say, that you are already having your post workout shake and nightly one...

I'm sorry..but do you guys think of protein shake to permanently use it as meal substitute? What happens if you stop using them?

J

jared767

Awards
I am not quite sure what you mean by your phrasing here but I will attempt to answer this... A protein drink mid day can be used as a meal replacement... They are great for some extra nutrients and extra protein, however, you don't want to depend on them either... You need real food sources mixed in as well... If you stop using them, then you are obviously cutting out a good source of nutrients that you have been taking in... I think they are a definite for anyones diet but you just don't want to depend on them as a meal source... It's a nice extra option... This is to say, that you are already having your post workout shake and nightly one...
Oh! Ok thanks! I was actually thinking of a product that was introduced to me by a friend which she used as meal substitute to lose weight. Thanks for taking your time...

dylangemelli

dylangemelli

Banned
Awards
no problem man... if you need any other help let me know

Oh! Ok thanks! I was actually thinking of a product that was introduced to me by a friend which she used as meal substitute to lose weight. Thanks for taking your time...