New Year = New Changes ... Going Gluten-Free?

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, friends, your favorite Beast (of the Midwest variety ;)) is considering going gluten-free to see how my body responds/reacts to it.

Several months ago, I tried paleo for a month or so and never really saw/felt any changes from it, but I also wasn't specifically going for gluten-free in it, either.

Who here goes gluten-free? What are some of your favorite foods? I plan on a lot of meat, fruit, vegetables and nuts, as well as protein powder. I've tried looking at some of the gluten-free lists that are on the web, but I'm looking more for peer-insight on what you guys like to use/eat.

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Subbed for interest. I need a change too bud

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Several months ago, I tried paleo for a month or so and never really saw/felt any changes from it, but I also wasn't specifically going for gluten-free in it, either.
This confuses me..

Paleo is gluten free. They go hand and hand

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This confuses me..

Paleo is gluten free. They go hand and hand
My apologies, Josh.

I did, too, but when I was pilfering through old threads on here, it looked as though there were some things that didn't qualify, but I'm reasonably certain that people were combining questions of both gluten and lactose intolerance and that's where the confusion was.

That being said, I did follow paleo for the month and didn't stray from it.

indysoccer16

indysoccer16

Awards
  • Established
I went gluten free for 8 weeks while I did a Candida cleanse. after about 2 weeks I lost a Couple lbs but I lost close to 2 inches. after the full 8 weeks I lost close to 8 lbs and 4 inches. the inches were almost all bloat that I was carrying around and never knew until I stopped eating gluten.
I was making gluten free bread once a week and found out that I like it more than normal bread. there are a lot of gluten free recipes and boxes you can buy at the stores, even walmart has started to carry some.

After the end of the 8 weeks I felt really good, didn't know how intolerant I was to it until I removed it. but it can get expensive

AtomicFox

AtomicFox

Awards
  • Established
I have actually been thinking about doing this too. My stomach gets bloated so easily, and if going gluten free can help me that would be awesome.

My girlfriend is actually gluten intolerant and cannot eat it, so it should be easier for me to make the transition, it is just so damn expensive :(

sarguy

Awards
  • Established
I live gluten free even when I fall off the paleo wagon. Turns out it was causing me to have a ton of bloat, gas, acne, bacne, and red,inflamed looking knuckles. So long as I maintain the lifestyle, I have no problems with any of these and they come back in spades if I do eat gluten.

sarguy

Awards
  • Established
And really living gluten free is not more expensive. Robb wolf and others have debunked this myth. One problem is that people assume you should use all of the gluten free analogs that are indeed more expensive and higher in calories than the original product.

AtomicFox

AtomicFox

Awards
  • Established
And really living gluten free is not more expensive. Robb wolf and others have debunked this myth. One problem is that people assume you should use all of the gluten free analogs that are indeed more expensive and higher in calories than the original product.
I guess that depends on where you live. In Denmark it is quite expensive, and really I should know my girlfriend has lived with this for years :)

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My apologies, Josh.

I did, too, but when I was pilfering through old threads on here, it looked as though there were some things that didn't qualify, but I'm reasonably certain that people were combining questions of both gluten and lactose intolerance and that's where the confusion was.

That being said, I did follow paleo for the month and didn't stray from it.
Any questions feel free to ask bud

Avoiding gluten is one of the core philosophies of a paleo diet. I dont know how one would confuse this. There are several different mindsets in the paleo community, some are against saturated fat (cordain) and others who arent. Some who are strictly against dairy such as milk, cheese, etc (cordain again) and others who are a tad more lenient on it (sisson). You typically have your hardcore group who adhere to the strictest diet plans and others who believe some foods are sort of un a paleo type limbo and are more of a person to person decision. I dont believe there is anyone in the paleo community that allows gluten into their diet though. Some allow rice, potatoes, quiona, etc but I dont know anyone who follows paleo beliefs and thinks gluten is ok.

I have been paleo myself for quite sometime now and am in the more laid back camp. For example I eat red and sweet potatoes as my main carb source and also will have the occasional bowl of rice and beans. I dont think it is smart for anyone to fall into the dogmas of paleo and instead make it more about self experimentation. Again have any questions hit me up and best of luck to you

Link?

I call BS as it is definitely cheaper to eat pasta, rice, bread, etc. When someones lunch or dinner is pasta and sauce and my lunch or dinner is asparagus and steak.. Mine is definitely the more expensive meal

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Any questions feel free to ask bud

Avoiding gluten is one of the core philosophies of a paleo diet. I dont know how one would confuse this. There are several different mindsets in the paleo community, some are against saturated fat (cordain) and others who arent. Some who are strictly against dairy such as milk, cheese, etc (cordain again) and others who are a tad more lenient on it (sisson). You typically have your hardcore group who adhere to the strictest diet plans and others who believe some foods are sort of un a paleo type limbo and are more of a person to person decision. I dont believe there is anyone in the paleo community that allows gluten into their diet though. Some allow rice, potatoes, quiona, etc but I dont know anyone who follows paleo beliefs and thinks gluten is ok.

I have been paleo myself for quite sometime now and am in the more laid back camp. For example I eat red and sweet potatoes as my main carb source and also will have the occasional bowl of rice and beans. I dont think it is smart for anyone to fall into the dogmas of paleo and instead make it more about self experimentation. Again have any questions hit me up and best of luck to you

Link?

I call BS as it is definitely cheaper to eat pasta, rice, bread, etc. When someones lunch or dinner is pasta and sauce and my lunch or dinner is asparagus and steak.. Mine is definitely the more expensive meal
Rice is technically gluten-free, but not Paleo. Paleo is definitely more expensive than having a diet that allows grains, but to what extent depends on the person.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for the info, Josh.

Avoiding gluten is one of the core philosophies of a paleo diet. I dont know how one would confuse this.
Yeah, like I said, it was just a matter of me reading for a few hours through old articles that were about gluten, but then someone would hop in with a lactose intolerance post that muddied it up and my poor brain took a few minutes to catch up. :ponder:

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Paleo for athletes and Robb wolffs book on paleo are prolly the two best out there to read and get started with

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Paleo for athletes and Robb wolffs book on paleo are prolly the two best out there to read and get started with
Wolff's text is much better. However, I still prefer Sisson's Primal Blueprint.

sarguy

Awards
  • Established
I guess that depends on where you live. In Denmark it is quite expensive, and really I should know my girlfriend has lived with this for years :)
You might be right as far as location and cost of a gluten free diet. My condolences on the recent fat tax you have to suffer with. If I was there I'd probably have been jailed for trafficking butter or lard by now.

Here's a link to Robb's site where he breaks down the cost of food. http://robbwolf.com/2011/09/21/paleo-is-expensive/ I'm sure the debate will continue as to whether or not GF or paleo is more expensive, and I personally have been on both sides of the issue from when I first started eating this way. I sympathize with people who end up having to pay more for food that they can tolerate eating, as they are, to some extent, in the same boat as we are in the fitness community; not happy with the standard fare and wanting better for themselves.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wolff's text is much better. However, I still prefer Sisson's Primal Blueprint.
I haven't gotten to primal blueprint but it is sitting in my kindle app. I do agree wolffs is better especially for the lifter. As paleo for athletes to be honest is focused on endurance athletes really. It's the understanding, background on paleo and how it came about that I like it for.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I haven't gotten to primal blueprint but it is sitting in my kindle app. I do agree wolffs is better especially for the lifter. As paleo for athletes to be honest is focused on endurance athletes really. It's the understanding, background on paleo and how it came about that I like it for.
It's the archaic stance of saturated fat by Cordain that really soured me on his text as his lumps them with trans fats.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's the archaic stance of saturated fat by Cordain that really soured me on his text as his lumps them with trans fats.
I believe he actually suggest canola oil and is against coconut oil.

This is just mind boggling to me

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I believe he actually suggest canola oil and is against coconut oil.

This is just mind boggling to me
And it doesn't take him very long to reach that point in the book either

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
lol

My feelings exactly but I have read he is working on a new book and some of his views have changed (one being his stance on sat fats) but not sure how legit it is. Might just be rumors
I dunno, I read that he wanted to because of the reasons you stated, but admitted that he simply knew he was going to do it in the end. Pretty sure it in his forward or something.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Any favorite gluten free snacks or meals? I'm thinking more in terms of stuff that you wouldn't think was gluten free but is.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just picked up some ice cream salt and gonna attempt to make my own frozen yogurt with greek yogurt and some mio

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just picked up some ice cream salt and gonna attempt to make my own frozen yogurt with greek yogurt and some mio
Didnt you have a paleo meal log awhile back? Post the link up so people can grab some ideas

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Damn that sounds good.

I've been gluten free for about six months. Well I try to be. Some of it is unavoidable as I still use some shoyu to flavor stuff. I have found anytime I eat anything with flour in I feel sick and look like crap.
Most paleo guys eat nuts as a snack. I just eat more meat.

AtomicFox

AtomicFox

Awards
  • Established
You might be right as far as location and cost of a gluten free diet. My condolences on the recent fat tax you have to suffer with. If I was there I'd probably have been jailed for trafficking butter or lard by now.

Here's a link to Robb's site where he breaks down the cost of food. http://robbwolf.com/2011/09/21/paleo-is-expensive/ I'm sure the debate will continue as to whether or not GF or paleo is more expensive, and I personally have been on both sides of the issue from when I first started eating this way. I sympathize with people who end up having to pay more for food that they can tolerate eating, as they are, to some extent, in the same boat as we are in the fitness community; not happy with the standard fare and wanting better for themselves.
Thanks man! Yea the fat tax is simply retarded. It is just a cover up for adding extra taxes to a country that already has the highest tax rate in the world -_-

sarguy

Awards
  • Established
Cordain has a new book out now. I ordered a copy and it should be here soon. He was just on Robb's podcast, but since I just woke up I can't recall if there's any change on his fat stance. I recall that he said the editor really reigned him in in his first book, while the new one is supposed to be him speaking his mind.

As for gluten free meals, I'm partial to chilis, stews, and curries. A green chicken curry with veggies and leftover chicken takes about 10 minutes and is gooooood :) And for gluten free cookies, coconut macaroons do the trick in my book.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Anyone have thoughts/opinions on torula yeast?

I have some dry roasted peanuts in sea salt that had been in the cupboard for a bit and it's listed in there. From what I read, it's gluten-free, but I'm more curious if anyone has opinions on it since it appears to be a replacement to MSG (and it's argued to be better, but we know how those things can turn out to not be the case, on occasion).

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I also did go ahead and start the GF route on the 3rd and I feel pretty good and my stomach has felt better today than it has in a while, which is interesting, as I didn't notice anything when I went paleo for a whole month several months back.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I also did go ahead and start the GF route on the 3rd and I feel pretty good and my stomach has felt better today than it has in a while, which is interesting, as I didn't notice anything when I went paleo for a whole month several months back.
Could be you haven't had as much recently and it's clearing faster?
Hmm. Interesting. I know when I go back home to Hawaii being gluten free will be a lot easier.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Could be you haven't had as much recently and it's clearing faster?
Hmm. Interesting. I know when I go back home to Hawaii being gluten free will be a lot easier.
All that McDonalds spam and rice? ;)

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
All that McDonalds spam and rice? ;)
Oh yes. Portuguese sausage eggs and rice!
Man though... It's so easy not eating flour back home. I've never really eaten it back home either. Pretty much don't like sweets, hate pasta, don't like pizza, and all my fried foods are usually in rice powder or potato starch. Donno why either, just the way my mom did it.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh yes. Portuguese sausage eggs and rice!
Man though... It's so easy not eating flour back home. I've never really eaten it back home either. Pretty much don't like sweets, hate pasta, don't like pizza, and all my fried foods are usually in rice powder or potato starch. Donno why either, just the way my mom did it.
That's awesome, man. I do have a sweet tooth and I like to indulge in pizza on occasion, but when I'm actually making progress, I don't want it at all because I view it as a hindrance to my goals and my willpower is strong enough. What's hard is not seeing any progress at all with a clean, low-calorie diet and plenty of cardio and lifting lol. That's when I get weak and slip up and eat things I normally wouldn't. I just feel so much better when I eat clean, anyway.

Once I get this all sorted out, I'll be out to Hawaii again to visit and have you introduce me to these wonderful cooking methods. Plus, I'd love some good ahi steak, again :yumyum:.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's awesome, man. I do have a sweet tooth and I like to indulge in pizza on occasion, but when I'm actually making progress, I don't want it at all because I view it as a hindrance to my goals and my willpower is strong enough. What's hard is not seeing any progress at all with a clean, low-calorie diet and plenty of cardio and lifting lol. That's when I get weak and slip up and eat things I normally wouldn't. I just feel so much better when I eat clean, anyway.

Once I get this all sorted out, I'll be out to Hawaii again to visit and have you introduce me to these wonderful cooking methods. Plus, I'd love some good ahi steak, again :yumyum:.
Yea. Not seeing results suck man! Get that stuff sorted out and come on over. Until then wait till I get back for some cooking tips from me when I start uploading some. ;)

6 weeks I go back home for vacation. Gonna try get some blood work done. What do you recommend?

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
6 weeks I go back home for vacation. Gonna try get some blood work done. What do you recommend?
Symptoms?

I know we talked about it briefly through PMs, but I'd be interested to hear, again.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Symptoms?

I know we talked about it briefly through PMs, but I'd be interested to hear, again.
Don't wanna take the fire from your thread, I'll make another thread later when I gather the symptoms I have. That way I can get a variety of responses. :)
Probably do the blood work that I can get for cheap though as I won't have any medical insurance in america.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Don't wanna take the fire from your thread, I'll make another thread later when I gather the symptoms I have. That way I can get a variety of responses. :)
Probably do the blood work that I can get for cheap though as I won't have any medical insurance in america.
Haha, it's all good. I don't care about it being derailed.

*waiting for Flex to pop in...*

lol

But yeah, link me whenever you start a thread and I'll see what I think, broseph :cool2:.