Need some clarification on bacon's nutrition facts...

F355

F355

Awards
  • Established
Alright so I'm about 3 days into my keto routine. I'm following a LG/IF protocol and incorporating a ketogenic diet for the first 2 weeks to kick start the fat-burning process. I have diet nailed down but I just need some clarification when I use bacon. Now the nutrition facts on my package says that for 2 strips (15g) there are 5g of fat and 7g of protein, FRIED.

So what I'm wondering is, if those numbers are the amount of fat and protein per 15g of bacon COOKED, how do I know the amount of fat (grease) is left in my pan after I cook them? Do I literally have to measure it out in a measuring cup?

Here's the thing, I use the left over grease to cook my eggs so that I don't have to waste any useful fat since I'm following a ketogenic diet. So right now I have calculated all the macros for that meal, but I didn't add the left over bacon grease because I don't know if that is included on the nutrition facts itself.

So what I did was I cooked about 4 strips of the bacon, then after I got it crisp and to the point where I like it, I measured the bacon, which came out to 46g. I then calculated the macro content based solely on 46g because the nutrition label states it's facts based on 15g COOKED.

At this point, I just tossed my eggs in with the left over grease but I don't want to keep doing this because I don't know exactly how much fat content the grease contains; I don't want to be going over my daily intake because it can add up since I sometimes have this meal twice a day.

I know this may seem like a dumb question, but it got me thinking because the nutrition label is based on the bacon cooked and not pre-cooked. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Pork - Bacon, rendered fat cooked:

Nutrient Value per 100 grams
of edible portion
3.000 oz 85.00 g
Proximates
Energy898.00 kcal763.300 kcal
Protein0.07 g0.060 g
Fiber, total dietary0.00 g0.000 g
Total lipid (fat)99.50 g84.575 g
Energy3756.00 kJ3192.600 kJ
Caffeine0.00 mg0.000 mg
Water0.25 g0.212 g
Ash0.16 g0.136 g
Theobromine0.00 mg0.000 mg
Alcohol, ethyl0.00 g0.000 g
Carbohydrate, by difference0.00 g0.000 g
Sugars, total0.00 g0.000 g

Pork - Raw Bacon

of edible portion
1.000 slice raw 29.00 g
Proximates
Energy458.00 kcal132.820 kcal
Protein11.60 g3.364 g
Total lipid (fat)45.04 g13.062 g
Energy1918.00 kJ556.220 kJ
Caffeine0.00 mg0.000 mg
Water40.20 g11.658 g
Ash2.51 g0.728 g
Carbohydrate, by difference0.66 g0.191 g

Br

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
I'm sure they take into account the excess grease when they make the "cooked" distinction. At least they better. But I've Often wondered the same thing. I like to think about nonsense like that. I don't want to be cheated out of my calories. Putting the excess fat over the eggs could be adding to your fat intake i suppose. Center cut bacon is great for non keto diets. Less fat and still tastes good.

F355

F355

Awards
  • Established
I'm sure they take into account the excess grease when they make the "cooked" distinction. At least they better. But I've Often wondered the same thing. I like to think about nonsense like that. I don't want to be cheated out of my calories. Putting the excess fat over the eggs could be adding to your fat intake i suppose. Center cut bacon is great for non keto diets. Less fat and still tastes good.
To be honest, I really don't think the excess fat is taken into account on the label. For every 15g of cooked bacon, it reads 5g of fat. There is no way the excess grease plus the bacon amount to a total of only 5g. See for me to find out how much fat I'm getting just from the bacon alone, I have to first cook it, then drain it out on a paper towel, then weigh it, and then do the final calculation. I know using the excess grease to cook my eggs would be adding to my fat intake, but what I'm trying to know is HOW MUCH exactly so I'm not going over everyday and wondering why the hell I'm not leaning out.

ZiR RED,

So I'm having a little confused on reading those charts. What exactly is the first chart saying? For every 100g of edible bacon, there is 99.50g of left over grease on my pan? That doesn't seem right at all. Also the protein content in the second chart seems really off to me. The bacon I have is listed at 7g of protein per 15g cooked. That second chart, lists a little over 3g of protein per 29g of raw bacon; that's a crazy difference.

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
Well a major problem would be the fact the slices vary in fat content/meat content...so some will shrink and be smaller than other slices....and weigh different. I notice this with the center cut, I look for the fattier cuts when I buy the package. there is so much grease leftover its ALMOST like regular bacon. Other times? with the meatier cuts (less fat) there is almost NO grease! it varies as do the slice size/weight. so that figure they give you....is an average. there is no real way to measure against it with your finished cooked product. I'll tell you this....on most keto diets, they tell you to take in extra fat...the more the better...so a little additional grease fat a few times per week....wouldn't make any sort of negative impact. If it was carb grease? lol...then that is another story. I'm like you, I like to take in the appropriate amount of calories fat protein carbs.....but I know on keto diets you can fudge it a bit and go over on the fats.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
The first chart is the grease left over in the pan. Each table spoon (~14.5 g) is equal to 1/2 ounce. So, a tablespoon of bacon grease contains 14 g of fat.

The second chart is for the bacon before you cook it.

Here is the nutrition facts for pan fried bacon:

of edible portion
1.000 slice cooked 7.90 g
Proximates
Energy533.00 kcal42.107 kcal
Protein38.34 g3.029 g
Total lipid (fat)40.30 g3.184 g
Energy2230.00 kJ176.170 kJ
Caffeine0.00 mg0.000 mg
Water12.12 g0.957 g
Ash7.74 g0.611 g
Carbohydrate, by difference1.50 g0.119 g

According to the charts (and depending on how much you cook your bacon), you loose approximately 5g of fat per slice of bacon fried.

Br

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
I like the mac and cheese by stouffers ......"serving size = X cals.....servings per container: About 2.5" LOL! OH! "about"?? really? I weighed it! of course! there are lots of products that do the "about X amount of servings".....pisses me off.....

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
To be honest, I really don't think the excess fat is taken into account on the label. .
Also......i meant they take into account that the grease will cook off....and that part is refuse, to be thrown away. So the actual slice of bacon (minus the grease) should equal ~the calories listed as cooked. If you use the excess grease to flavor or cook other foods? yeah probably you are adding in additional fat cals. I didn't mean to insinuate that they took into account the grease as part of the cooked total...they more than likely figure most people get rid of it. I got a couple of ON BCAA tubs full of the grease lol. I just pour it in there, had trouble with my drain clogging if I put too much of it in the sink and wash it down. Yes I eat a lot of bacon :)

Newtonselite

Newtonselite

Awards
  • Established
I dont have anything to add to this thread except that while on bulk i love bacon i go through a good few hundred grams a day easy, quick to cook, yum!!! and doesnt make me feel full....... lmao