Need Advice (greatly apprecoated)

Herm

Awards
I have been working out seriously for about 3 years. For about two months of those years I have followed a 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight and seen decent results. Do to a hectic schedule and limited budget its hard for me to maintain that over a consisten basis. I workout continously under a .70 gram of protein per pound of body weight and have seen increases in strength and definition but no real weight gain and size. When i maintained a higher caloric and or protein intake I shot up as much as 10 pounds in 2 weeks. My question is due to recent research, should I workout as often as I do if ultimetly I want to put on more weight if im not eight 1 gram or more of protein per pound of body weight. Im strongly considering saving up money and supplements until I know I have a solid 2 months in which I can diet correctly to gain. My fear is that I will lose my strength or fitnes if I cut my routine down while saving up to do what I consider I must do to put on mass.

SMC USA

SMC USA

Awards
The key to size is food .. Clean eating and weight training gives you lean muscle mass .. I know several guys that are pretty big and never touch protien powder or all these other supplements ..

Turkey can be bought cheap most of the year, potatoes and rice are always cheap, canned green beans are three servings for under $1

Save up your money and go to the bulk food stores .. It will go alot further towards your goals than one 10lb bag of protien

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
Well.....if he wants to add protein to what he says is a hectic schedule.... a few scoops of any cheap whey protein powder would work. probably costs the same (or cheaper) as the whole food, and he can drink it on the run and up his protein. I know at double my weight in protein (X2) its a mutha to get it all in whole food. I don't have that kind of appetite to begin with. Protein powders help in that regard. He should be getting at least 1 grams of protein per lb BW.....depending on his weightlifting regimen, perhaps 1.5 grams per lb BW.....

Newtonselite

Newtonselite

Awards
  • Established
you could always try the GOMAD diet approach, if your tight for money and time.. Milk is cheap

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
you could always try the GOMAD diet approach, if your tight for money and time.. Milk is cheap
It says milk is 87% water? That I did not know.
It usually drink 20oz milk in my gainer :)

Herm

Awards
thanks for info, the gomad thing is pretty interesting. Also cant believe I never thought of purchasing turkey as a source of protein. I used to drink a gallon of milk a day on a regular basis until someone told me I was going to get kidney stones from it. I tried finding out actual information about it but wasnt succesful so just cut down on my milk. I heard it takes calcium to actually process protein as well, so Im wondering if that has to do with why milk is such a complete food. I kinda recall hearing that if it contained vitamin C it would be the perfect food. Im probably going to do the gomad approach or Atleast start out with drinking the additional gallon, and just try to get more disciplined with my diet. Thank again for the info

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
thanks for info, the gomad thing is pretty interesting. Also cant believe I never thought of purchasing turkey as a source of protein. I used to drink a gallon of milk a day on a regular basis until someone told me I was going to get kidney stones from it. I tried finding out actual information about it but wasnt succesful so just cut down on my milk. I heard it takes calcium to actually process protein as well, so Im wondering if that has to do with why milk is such a complete food. I kinda recall hearing that if it contained vitamin C it would be the perfect food. Im probably going to do the gomad approach or Atleast start out with drinking the additional gallon, and just try to get more disciplined with my diet. Thank again for the info
Ease into it. 1/4 then 1/2 then 3/4 then 1 gallon.