Any Good Suggestions to Eat Healthy at Burger King?

jared767

Awards
Hello!

Any suggestions with healthy foods at fastfood places such as: Burger King, Jimmy John's, or McDonald's?

I prefer something that's low in carbs but definitely high in protein.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Jared - Are you finally sick of Subway? :p

Sorry, coiuldnt resist lol

I have done the low carb thing for ages.

Whenever in a pinch, I'd get a few GRILLED chicken breasts and eat them plain (no bun of course) and throw it onto a side salad with ZERO dressing (all dressings are pretty much CRAP, even the low carb ones like ranch)

When starving or when I am "weak", I'd get 2 PLAIN whoppers and grab a lots of napkins and really pat/sqz the FAT/GREASE into the napkin - you'll be amazed by how much FAT the napkinds will absorb.

I would request extra pickles to help kill the rest of my hunger.

Get a decaf coffee with sugar free sweetner to kill the sweet tooth

Remember that fast food is STILL fast food with al the preservatives and garbage they add to the foods. So, a chicken breast from Burger King is not an exact replica of one made at home. The sodium and added ingredients for taste can hurt you a bit.

PS: KFC has chicken breasts AND green beans as a side. ;)

Again tho, the green beans are drenched in FAT.

Cant win

Bring a bottle of HEALTHY home made salad dressing you can keep in your car for salads from these places

PS: Packing your food from home trumps ALL the above

jared767

Awards
I totally agree with you, Whacked. I just can't help it :shrug:
With chicken and veggies only, I used nutritionix to check the nutrition facts, and the calculator gave me a total carb of 5g (which is good), but the protein is pretty low at 16g. So I added roast beef and it resulted to 34g of protein. Thanks for your suggestion.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
......;)

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
yeah the burgers w/o the bun at wendy's or really any burger joint are always good.....thats a big shot of protein there. Then again, the bun is only about 40 carbs.....not terrible....basically you should stick with burgers or chicken sandwiches with or w/o bun depending on your carb needs....as long as you stay away from the fries, the soda's, the frosty's lol.....its not that bad, and you get a decent amount of protein. SANDWICH ONLY, NO COMBO! :)

owlicks

owlicks

Awards
Why would you ever be in a situation where you HAD to go to a fast food restaurant? If I'm ever traveling and in a bind for quick food, I just make my way to a grocery store and pick up some cottage cheese or Greek yogurt, etc.

mikestenger

mikestenger

Awards
Salad (might wanna be careful with the dressing though), burger but don't eat the bun.

SMC USA

SMC USA

Awards
And if you can eat em .. Sardines .. Alot of fuel stations (in US) have canned sardines and tuna in em ..

jherman08

jherman08

Awards
  • Established
Almost positive hamburger patties from fast food restaurants are injected with trans fats before they're frozen...
Proud employee of a fast food chain

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
A lot of low carbers in here...
Damn yall scared of carbs huh?
I have to admit my diet could use some tailoring :)

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
I like carbs occasionally.....but i'm more of a fat and protein guy. I always end up with a lot of fat and a lot of protein whether I try to or not. carbs make me feel bloated and full most of the time, I just don't get along with them lol. But I make an effort to get a decent amount in there, 100-170 daily.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I eat a lot of carbs it's e/z to eat them

jared767

Awards
Salad at ..where else, but Subway

Tried to build a salad using nutritionix

Here's my bowl:

• Cucumbers
  • Lettuce
  • Tomatoes
  • Onions
  • Avocado
  • Light Mayonnaise
  • Swiss
  • Turkey Breast

Cals: 231.5
Carbs: 8 g
Protein: 13 g

Pretty low in protein..but I can double it

Andreywhites

Awards
Salad is the perfect one...

Salads are a good source of proteins. As far as burger is concerned, you can get it anywhere, across the road, highways & the fast food centers.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
??? Salads have next to NO protein unless protein is added (chicken etc)

Cheese has a LITTLE protein but that's about it

Salads are a good source of proteins.

AustrianOakJr

AustrianOakJr

Awards
A lot of low carbers in here...
Damn yall scared of carbs huh?
I have to admit my diet could use some tailoring :)
Exactly what I thought^. I dont know how performance athletes dependant upon glycogen function without carbs. Im going two days at 100g of carbs to deplete a bit before the Christmas fat-fest and I am hurting pretty good. :)

For the OP, I think there are a lot of reasons to avoid fast food all together and general health is one of them. I have issues with their food handling practices and for long term physique and general health goals.....I exhaust every option before I go to a burger king or mcd's. But if you are talking strictly physique-wise, there is no real detriment in eating there. As long as you can just fit the food into your normal diet, then eat whatever you want. Main stream fast food has all their macros listed online. So if you have 50g of protein, 50g of carbs, and 20g of fat alloted for the meal, just look it up prior to going to the restaurant and get what you need to hit your goals for that meal. Some of my favorite, in a pinch fast food places are Chic-fil-a and Subway. They are pretty easy to fit into a high protein, mod carb, mod fat diet.

SMC USA

SMC USA

Awards
I don't know that its a carb thing so much .. The food handling and hygiene practices aside .. The average sandwich at Burger King has 30-50 grams of fat (phone app) .. For me .. I can have 60 grams a day .. personally I would prefer they be good fats not the crap they add to make food taste better ..

Hardees/Carls Jr has a turkey sandwich I have been told is good but I haven't looked at the macros ..

jared767

Awards
Well, I checked on that

Burger King

Specialty Bun
Breaded Original Chicken
Lettuce
Mayo

Trans fat: 0
Sat fat: 7.4g
Carbs: 46
protein: 24

And yes, it has a total fat of 39.4 g

Ref: Nutritionix

Heard about Carl's Jr as well. So maybe I'll try it sometimes

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I don't know that its a carb thing so much .. The food handling and hygiene practices aside .. The average sandwich at Burger King has 30-50 grams of fat (phone app) .. For me .. I can have 60 grams a day .. personally I would prefer they be good fats not the crap they add to make food taste better ..

Hardees/Carls Jr has a turkey sandwich I have been told is good but I haven't looked at the macros ..
What phone app are you using?

All these tools are great, work out apps, forums, calorie apps....

How in the hell you think these guys did it back in the 70s?

There were no pre w/o drinks or funny little supplements nothing but food and weights. No forums to ask questions. I'm not hating at all, just wish I didn't become so dependent on the easy route, these guys in the 70s got it done back in the day w/o all these fun tools, apps, supplements we have now a days. :)

jared767

Awards
Nutritionix calculator :01:

It's an online nutrition calculator made to check nutrients on every meal we order from famous restaurants. You can google it !

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Nutritionix calculator :01:

It's an online nutrition calculator made to check nutrients on every meal we order from famous restaurants
Maybe it's android only.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Exactly what I thought^. I dont know how performance athletes dependant upon glycogen function without carbs. Im going two days at 100g of carbs to deplete a bit before the Christmas fat-fest and I am hurting pretty good. :)
Glycogen synthesis is an ongoing process in the body. The idea that you NEED carbs to restore glycogen levels is over rated, unless you are a performance athlete (like a runner). Otherwise the body is capable of synthesizing both glycogen and glucose without a constant high dietary intake of carbs.

jared767

Awards

There were no pre w/o drinks or funny little supplements nothing but food and weights. No forums to ask questions. I'm not hating at all, just wish I didn't become so dependent on the easy route, these guys in the 70s got it done back in the day w/o all these fun tools, apps, supplements we have now a days. :)
Nutritionix calculator

It's actually an online calculator that's supposed to check the facts behind the meal we order from fastfoods

SMC USA

SMC USA

Awards
Fast Food Calorie Counter by Concrete

My Fitness Pal .. My fitness pal is both on phone and online .. Nice cause my trainer can access it and check my intakes 24/7 while I enter on phone

In the 70's they ate clean and lots of it .. 6-8 meals a day .. Eggs chicken and beef .. I don't think protien powders were even common then

While there were McDonalds and Burger Kings they were not a daily food source .. I don't think I had Mc Donalds until I was in college .. (early 80's)

PVL

Banned
Awards
Fast Food Calorie Counter by Concrete

My Fitness Pal .. My fitness pal is both on phone and online .. Nice cause my trainer can access it and check my intakes 24/7 while I enter on phone

In the 70's they ate clean and lots of it .. 6-8 meals a day .. Eggs chicken and beef .. I don't think protien powders were even common then

While there were McDonalds and Burger Kings they were not a daily food source .. I don't think I had Mc Donalds until I was in college .. (early 80's)
im the opposite, raised on the all american diet(fast food, processed crap).....and later switched to all natural foods......BIG DIFFERENCE

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Dbol and testosterone ;)

PVL

Banned
Awards
Dbol and testosterone ;)
they didnt have test bro............it was deca durabolin back then and dbol/anavar mix

if you watch pumping iron Lou takes a huge handful of anavar before going to the gym with his dad.........it was legal then

GuyverX

GuyverX

Awards
  • Established
im the opposite, raised on the all american diet(fast food, processed crap).....and later switched to all natural foods......BIG DIFFERENCE
Ditto. It is a wonder of genetics that I was not a fat kid. Then again we were required to play outside back then. No gaming or internet or anything.
The grilled chicken bare at any restaurant will do in a pinch. And keep a couple of almonds in a sealed container to stave off hunger.
Or grilled burgers from certain burger joints.
Can only speak for myself but I can eat the FF meats by the lb and my cholesterol and blood pressure tests come back fine.
Body handles it pretty well.
I eat some chips or actual junk and I have the physical results of an 80 year old stroke and heart attack patient. lol.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Ditto. It is a wonder of genetics that I was not a fat kid. Then again we were required to play outside back then. No gaming or internet or anything.
The grilled chicken bare at any restaurant will do in a pinch. And keep a couple of almonds in a sealed container to stave off hunger.
Can only speak for myself but I can eat the FF meats by the lb and my cholesterol and blood pressure tests come back fine.
I eat some chips or actual junk and I have the physical results of an 80 year old stroke and heart attack patient. lol.

I can get away with eating anything health wise, just that the fat is what creeps up on me.

Dbol and testosterone ;)
You got a point there lol.

AustrianOakJr

AustrianOakJr

Awards
Glycogen synthesis is an ongoing process in the body. The idea that you NEED carbs to restore glycogen levels is over rated, unless you are a performance athlete (like a runner). Otherwise the body is capable of synthesizing both glycogen and glucose without a constant high dietary intake of carbs.

I am familiar with the process of gluconeogenesis. Probably too familiar when im walking around in a low carb fog at the end of a diet :). I speak mainly from experience and the trial and error process of trying to achieve an ultra-lean competition ready physique. I have learned my own body's preference for carbohydrates. But i know a little of the technical crap too......Yes, glycogen CAN be refilled through gluconeogenesis.....but its no where near as efficient or useful for performance. IF your body is using gluconeogenesis its in the presence of glucagon and refilling glycogen is a relatively low priority. Insulin is the driver for glycogen replenishment so without the glucose to stimulate the insulin response, you will never have "chock-full" glycogen storage. As an athlete who is continually trying to achieve personal records in the gym, I know I perform much better on a big, fat glycogen pillow. Which is not really achievable without chowing on some carbohydrates.

PVL

Banned
Awards
yeah dude......i was blessed with my fathers genetics, so i can get away with some FF here and there, and some mac n cheese here and there...........but ive always been active my whole life. it wasnt until playstation and sega came around that I got fat, and thats just from not exercising..........but then as I got older and played sports, the pounds came off.

so many americans think there is some secret to being "in shape", when really its all about being active most of the day. if you sit at a desk or computer and dont get outside for walks, yeah you are gunna put on weight, but that should be common sense right? parents are lazy nowadays and just want their kids to be "happy" which means not breaking a sweat. **** when I have kids, they are gunna be in so many sports, they wont have time to play video games........

Jethro52185

Jethro52185

Awards
Chicken breast footlong, double meat and double egg whites with tomatoes and onion. Can't go wrong there IMO. It costs 10$ and the sandwich artists at subway look at you like you are insane, but it really does hit the spot in a pinch. Then i stop by a gas station and get a half gallon of fat free milk to wash it down and im good to go for a few hours.

PVL

Banned
Awards
I can get away with eating anything health wise, just that the fat is what creeps up on me.

You got a point there lol.
its sorta a ****ty thing about settling your roots in america for generations. my kids will be first generation european americans, but my girl is german, so as long as they are active and stay away from the chips and candy most of the time, they should turn into sports studs.

3rd and 4th generation americans are sorta screwed because they have years and years of bad eating and lack of physical activity. they are pushing their kids towards engineering degrees and do not encourage athletics which is sad. you are only hurting the child for cruelty and finger pointing down the road in HS, and I just dont get it.

PVL

Banned
Awards
Chicken breast footlong, double meat and double egg whites with tomatoes and onion. Can't go wrong there IMO. It costs 10$ and the sandwich artists at subway look at you like you are insane, but it really does hit the spot in a pinch. Then i stop by a gas station and get a half gallon of fat free milk to wash it down and im good to go for a few hours.
you a brother from another mother? i used to do the exact same thing when i was about 21 and trying to get big. except my thing was double meat carne asada burrito with spinach tortilla and only black beans with spanish rice(no lard).........throw in some cilantro and you are good to go.........

as for sandwiches..........togos pastrami footlong, 2x meat, and a quart of ff milk..........cant drink a half gallon anymore in one sitting.........my blood glucose would go through the roof from all the lactose.

Jethro52185

Jethro52185

Awards
you a brother from another mother? i used to do the exact same thing when i was about 21 and trying to get big. except my thing was double meat carne asada burrito with spinach tortilla and only black beans with spanish rice(no lard).........throw in some cilantro and you are good to go.........

as for sandwiches..........togos pastrami footlong, 2x meat, and a quart of ff milk..........cant drink a half gallon anymore in one sitting.........my blood glucose would go through the roof from all the lactose.
What you talkin' bout, I am big! Lol no really I just love to eat to be honest. I could probably eat two of the aforementioned footlongs and a half gallon of milk in a sitting and not be miserable. It's actually pretty amazing to be honest.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
its sorta a ****ty thing about settling your roots in america for generations. my kids will be first generation european americans, but my girl is german, so as long as they are active and stay away from the chips and candy most of the time, they should turn into sports studs.

3rd and 4th generation americans are sorta screwed because they have years and years of bad eating and lack of physical activity. they are pushing their kids towards engineering degrees and do not encourage athletics which is sad. you are only hurting the child for cruelty and finger pointing down the road in HS, and I just dont get it.
Their personal choice ya know

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
PHP:
Can't go wrong with the tendergrill chicken. You can checkout BK's Nutritional nfo at BURGER KING® or uou can download an app on your phone.

Order it with no mayo to reduce the fats

PVL

Banned
Awards
What you talkin' bout, I am big! Lol no really I just love to eat to be honest. I could probably eat two of the aforementioned footlongs and a half gallon of milk in a sitting and not be miserable. It's actually pretty amazing to be honest.
lmao! i had to chuckle a bit at that..........

to be completely honest even now, i can sit down and finish a xxl pizza from round table, esp combo........and have 4-5 glasses of milk..........

but ill wanna watch football and not do ****!!!! lol! thats what got me into the weight problem in the first place man!!!!!

if i was on some good **** then fo get a bout it!! :)

PVL

Banned
Awards
Their personal choice ya know
they are only hurting their kids so they can say "we gave you what you wanted"...........

but to be honest, its not their choice when they are young. if you start them off with all natural food sources, like fruits and veggies.........they will grow accustomed to it later on. when i have kids, they are gunna sit with daddy in the weight room and chew on brocoli and mushed up sweet potatoes.......maybe some grilled chicken breast blended.........its all about the parents.

so many parents here were tweakers and drug addicts they had kids to keep their spouse or gf/bf around.........and its really sad. not wanting to be alone is the saddest excuse to have kids.........personally

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
they are only hurting their kids so they can say "we gave you what you wanted"...........

but to be honest, its not their choice when they are young. if you start them off with all natural food sources, like fruits and veggies.........they will grow accustomed to it later on. when i have kids, they are gunna sit with daddy in the weight room and chew on brocoli and mushed up sweet potatoes.......maybe some grilled chicken breast blended.........its all about the parents.

so many parents here were tweakers and drug addicts they had kids to keep their spouse or gf/bf around.........and its really sad. not wanting to be alone is the saddest excuse to have kids.........personally
Agreed with both points

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
I might try that next time at subway....I usually just get a footlong double turkey double cheese on wheat at subway. pretty basic, I'd be afraid to ask them for what you get lol....they might call the cops on me or something, or the looney bin attendants. I'm the opposite of you two big eaters though....I get full REALLY quick....I might want to eat twice a day, three times at the most, and just a normal amount of food. I just supplement with whey in water protein drinks the other times I need some food/protein.

PVL

Banned
Awards
I might try that next time at subway....I usually just get a footlong double turkey double cheese on wheat at subway. pretty basic, I'd be afraid to ask them for what you get lol....they might call the cops on me or something, or the looney bin attendants. I'm the opposite of you two big eaters though....I get full REALLY quick....I might want to eat twice a day, three times at the most, and just a normal amount of food. I just supplement with whey in water protein drinks the other times I need some food/protein.
im just a big ol country boy man, meat and potatoes ya kno?

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Do you see good growth that way?

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
Know what though? I do that, but I do it up myself. I get some chicken breast pieces or maybe some everroast chicken deli meat, some cheese, some eggs, then put it all in a sub roll. So that way you can add up your calories/protein. Now you can use subways nutrition calculator just as well....but making it yourself you don't have to go into the subway and mess around, and its cheaper by 50% to do it yourself. on the run though? yeah that is a good sub

PVL

Banned
Awards
Know what though? I do that, but I do it up myself. I get some chicken breast pieces or maybe some everroast chicken deli meat, some cheese, some eggs, then put it all in a sub roll. So that way you can add up your calories/protein. Now you can use subways nutrition calculator just as well....but making it yourself you don't have to go into the subway and mess around, and its cheaper by 50% to do it yourself. on the run though? yeah that is a good sub
same, i make my own mixtures......tuna salad with olives n such......i hate eating bland healthy food, i dont see the point. if you are gunna eat healthy, atleast make it taste good with healthy condiments......

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
same, i make my own mixtures......tuna salad with olives n such......i hate eating bland healthy food, i dont see the point. if you are gunna eat healthy, atleast make it taste good with healthy condiments......
yep, I am not afraid to add some cheese or some mayo or some salt and pepper to liven up the bland chicken or the egg whites or whatever. I like to take a chicken breast and melt some american cheese on top of it, or take some eggs....like 4-5, 4 whites to one yolk and add some mayo to it...some salt and pepper....mix it up real good and eat it with a spoon along with some center cut bacon.....essentially good protein sources, some fat yes (from the cheese or mayo or bacon) but its kept at a minimum.....just enough to taste.....

PVL

Banned
Awards
yep, I am not afraid to add some cheese or some mayo or some salt and pepper to liven up the bland chicken or the egg whites or whatever. I like to take a chicken breast and melt some american cheese on top of it, or take some eggs....like 4-5, 4 whites to one yolk and add some mayo to it...some salt and pepper....mix it up real good and eat it with a spoon along with some center cut bacon.....essentially good protein sources, some fat yes (from the cheese or mayo or bacon) but its kept at a minimum.....just enough to taste.....
too many people think they have to suffer to be in shape............hell no, just be creative!!!