HELP!!! Calorie Intake For Fat Loss (contraversy)

korndog

Awards
I weight 200 pounds, I am 5 foot 9, I am trying to cut (lose weight) while adding muscle. Since I just started lifting weights after 10 years I was told this is the best time to try and do both. I have been told different things when it comes to how many calories I need to take in. I have heard anywhere from 1800 - 2500. How do I know what one to listen to?

bodyfat = I would say around 22%
activity = other then lifting weights/cardio I am sitting or sleeping

adnscmplx

Awards
Try this:

http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/

Use sedentary for activity, even though you are not.

Off the top of my head, I'd say ballpark 2500 on lifting days and 1800 on rest days. You are going to have to track cals, weight, and ideally waist circumference and give it some time to get some data then tinker from there. That is the best way.

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
at 22% you should probably go lowball or the 1800 figure. But like adn said, vary it.....1800 one day, 2000 the next, 2200 another day, 2400 another, repeat...or something like that. zig-zag works best, but keep the cals on the low end for most of the days if you can while you vary the daily amounts.

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
what does the zig zag affect do?

Just curious
It keeps your metabolism stoked, sort of like it can't get set in any certain pattern of caloric intake....you keep it guessing and it won't get in any sort of rut. It's never advisable to take in the same exact amount of calories every day. serpentine bro lol you do the same thing if you are running and somebody is chasing your or shooting at you ;)

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
It's like not eating makes u so tired :/

D2footballjrc

D2footballjrc

Awards
I use a calorie counting website like myfitnesspal, makes it easy to track and it adjusts along with you.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards

PVL

Banned
Awards
If I don't eat I get lethargic.
ur pre diabetic man or type 2 IMO..............try eating nothing but meat and dairy for 2 weeks with veggies........then come back to me and tell me you didnt lose weight...........i bet you 100 bucks im right

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
ur pre diabetic man or type 2 IMO..............try eating nothing but meat and dairy for 2 weeks with veggies........then come back to me and tell me you didnt lose weight...........i bet you 100 bucks im right
How come a doctor never mentioned this?

How can you tell if you have these symptoms?
I personally enjoy carbs but when food isn't on time I'm very irritable.

D2footballjrc

D2footballjrc

Awards
How come a doctor never mentioned this?

How can you tell if you have these symptoms?
I personally enjoy carbs but when food isn't on time I'm very irritable.
They can preform a fasting blood sugar test. You might just be anal retentive though as well. (not being mean, just meaning you might be one of those people who have to have everything just so.)

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
They can preform a fasting blood sugar test. You might just be anal retentive though as well. (not being mean, just meaning you might be one of those people who have to have everything just so.)
Yeah I kind of have to agree with you :)

This morning I'm good though....
Breakfast Burrito & I'm sipping on a mass gaining shake which is about 2000 calories: added a banana 1 scoop of ice cream 2 tsb of egg whites and 1 scoop of peanut butter. Thats about 200+ carbs as well. :) fats I lost count but I would say about 50 roughly, and about 40-45g of protein.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah I kind of have to agree with you :)

This morning I'm good though....
Breakfast Burrito & I'm sipping on a mass gaining shake which is about 2000 calories: added a banana 1 scoop of ice cream 2 tsb of egg whites and 1 scoop of peanut butter. Thats about 200+ carbs as well. :) fats I lost count but I would say about 50 roughly, and about 40-45g of protein.
My god how much is your daily caloric intake? (about?)

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards

PVL

Banned
Awards
I'm trying to pack on them slabs bro. 3500-4k :D
yeah, but eating like that its gunna be slabs of flab, not beef...........

if you wanna gain MUSCLE and NOT FAT, you have to cut your carbs to under 100g a day and your protein to 1.5g per pound of MUSCLE, not bodyweight..........you are eating too many calories dude.

another trick ive learned through the years.........drink coffee after every meal, even if its 4oz. it helps with blood sugar and keeps your metabolism humming

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

if you wanna gain MUSCLE and NOT FAT, you have to cut your carbs to under 100g a day and your protein to 1.5g per pound of MUSCLE, not bodyweight..........you are eating too many calories dude.
Not true, he just has to be doing enough work to support those carb amounts. You cant make the broad statement, "you have to cut your carbs to under 100g a day". It is a good starting point but it will really depend on his activites.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Not true, he just has to be doing enough work to support those carb amounts. You cant make the broad statement, "you have to cut your carbs to under 100g a day". It is a good starting point but it will really depend on his activites.
Right. Work it off and bust your ass. Not every1 need under 100g carbs.

another trick ive learned through the years.........drink coffee after every meal, even if its 4oz. it helps with blood sugar and keeps your metabolism humming
That may work 4 u but not every1. It's a good starting point.

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
I'm trying to pack on them slabs bro. 3500-4k :D
are you sure? judging by that sample feeding you detailed for us, that looks about 3500 right there LOL....you might mean 35,000 to 40,000 cals a day??? hahahaha! I remember when I was young, I went on overnight receiving for Walmart.....unloading trucks, pulling heavy ass pallets of merch.....stacking those blue pallets 18 high.....I lost SO MUCH weight! My GF laughed at my arms since they got so small......I started taking Weider Megamass 4000 weight gainer....one serving during the day & one serving before bedtime....I got my damn weight back, no more laughing....oh to be young and able to eat so much again lol.....

PVL

Banned
Awards
are you sure? judging by that sample feeding you detailed for us, that looks about 3500 right there LOL....you might mean 35,000 to 40,000 cals a day??? hahahaha! I remember when I was young, I went on overnight receiving for Walmart.....unloading trucks, pulling heavy ass pallets of merch.....stacking those blue pallets 18 high.....I lost SO MUCH weight! My GF laughed at my arms since they got so small......I started taking Weider Megamass 4000 weight gainer....one serving during the day & one serving before bedtime....I got my damn weight back, no more laughing....oh to be young and able to eat so much again lol.....
i know, i eat 2x less than 5-6 years ago and im only 27......lol

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
i know, i eat 2x less than 5-6 years ago and im only 27......lol
I'm 27 too lol.

Well this is what that shake was: half a serving of serious mass which is about 650 cals, 25g protein, and 125g carbs FROM THERE I added in 20oz of milk, 1 scoop of P butter, 1 scoop of low fat butter pecan ice cream, 6- 1/2 tsb of liquid egg whites, 1 medium banana. :D

-Along with a chik Fil a breakfast burrito on my way in to work this AM :D

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
I'm 27 too lol.

Well this is what that shake was: half a serving of serious mass which is about 650 cals, 25g protein, and 125g carbs FROM THERE I added in 20oz of milk, 1 scoop of P butter, 1 scoop of low fat butter pecan ice cream, 6- 1/2 tsb of liquid egg whites, 1 medium banana. :D

-Along with a chik Fil a breakfast burrito on my way in to work this AM :D
Like I said, about 3,000 or more liquid cals plus another 500 for the chikfila.......damn near 4 grand in an few hours lol. times 5-6 times eating....OK there is NO WAY you can do that 5-6 times a day LOL...you'd be dead.....

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Like I said, about 3,000 or more liquid cals plus another 500 for the chikfila.......damn near 4 grand in an few hours lol. times 5-6 times eating....OK there is NO WAY you can do that 5-6 times a day LOL...you'd be dead.....

That's what u call breaking da ma'fukin FAST!!

No but for lunch they brought us pizza lol....

I usually add I'm another 2-3 meals about 500 calories each.
I have to admit it wouldn't be hard to take in anoter 1 of those shakes though I make em taste good! Blender is my best friend. :)

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards

I have to admit it wouldn't be hard to take in anoter 1 of those shakes though I make em taste good! Blender is my best friend. :)
I eat pizza on monday, or EOMonday.....5 slices is about 170 grams carbs (and about 1500 or more cals)....so if I drink whey shakes or eat low cal high protein items the rest of the day and keep away from additional carbs....I stay within my calories/protein/carb ratio. Its just I eat all my carbs and like 2/3 my cals in one sitting (the pizza).

PVL

Banned
Awards

yeah dude, if you arent getting fat on that.......why fix it. just keep gaining..........i never count cals, just portion size.

i try to limit cals under 1k each meal for 5-6 meals..........probably a lot less today because of football..........

PVL

Banned
Awards
I eat pizza on monday, or EOMonday.....5 slices is about 170 grams carbs (and about 1500 or more cals)....so if I drink whey shakes or eat low cal high protein items the rest of the day and keep away from additional carbs....I stay within my calories/protein/carb ratio. Its just I eat all my carbs and like 2/3 my cals in one sitting (the pizza).
i always justify pizza by eating like 2 cans of tuna 1 hr before..........sorta helps with my conscience, lmao!!!

i havent had pizza in like a month or so

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
i always justify pizza by eating like 2 cans of tuna 1 hr before..........sorta helps with my conscience, lmao!!!

i havent had pizza in like a month or so
similar to what I do.....workout early, tons of BCAA/glutamine/argining/tauring/carnitine PWO.....then an assload of whey half hour after that.....eat the pizza about 4 hours PWO or so.....from there on, just chicken breast or some sort of breakfast type combo of eggs or bacon or whatever.....all protein and low cal/almost no carbs. it works, not even really a "cheat" day.

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
everybody has "$7.99 cheese pizza day" on monday around here. I'm off sunday/monday.....so I usually jump on it lol. I'll go months with no pizza then go months eating it every monday or EO Monday....pizza is good lol........

PVL

Banned
Awards
everybody has "$7.99 cheese pizza day" on monday around here. I'm off sunday/monday.....so I usually jump on it lol. I'll go months with no pizza then go months eating it every monday or EO Monday....pizza is good lol........
its my one weakness bro............i can turn into michellin man though if i dont watch the cardio that day, lol!

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
its my one weakness bro............i can turn into michellin man though if i dont watch the cardio that day, lol!
I know I look pregnant that day, at least for the remaining hours post-pizza....but it goes away by morning, I think its mostly bloat since I was good the rest of the week lol

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Going home to make another shake soon, this time less carbs lol.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
If you don't post again by 9PM, we will know that you probably croaked from overeating 4,000 cals twice in a row, and we'll notify internet 911 LOL.......
U won't die trust me :)

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
just cut down on the carbs dude...........i promise you will see results
I'm sure. To be honest diet and energy are tough for me. I do not know if it's my erratic work schedule, but two things limit
me, it's almost like I feel a bit sick if I don't get carbs. Also my schedule is up and down and I can have huge energy burst and other times be super tired.

PVL

Banned
Awards
I'm sure. To be honest diet and energy are tough for me. I do not know if it's my erratic work schedule, but two things limit
me, it's almost like I feel a bit sick if I don't get carbs. Also my schedule is up and down and I can have huge energy burst and other times be super tired.
why dont you get a blood test done..........maybe there is something a doc can precribe

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
why dont you get a blood test done..........maybe there is something a doc can precribe
They say I'm cool...
Is there anything I should tell them to look for?