Protien intake

C

crazygrip

Awards
Hey if anyone can help me out that would be great. I was just wondering if adding fiber to protien shakes increases protien intake to the muscles. And also if taking protien shakes prior to working Is actually beneficial ? Thanks

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
You digest protein and your body breaks it down into amino acids and poly peptides. They are then absorbed and transported to the liver where they will either undergo gluconeogenesis or be released into the blood stream. Your tissues then take up the aminos that they need. The remainder is either converted to lipid or CHO intermediates by the liver and then either stored or released back into the blood.

You do not pee out excess protein, and fiber will not increase or decrease protein uptake. It may slow the digestion, but that's about it.

As for a protein shake prior to working out. I don't think it will make much of a difference. Now, having a liquid protein after you workout with some CHO will.

Br

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
Extra protein means extra fiber, but for digestive/gastro purposes only. Constipation sucks.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
You digest protein and your body breaks it down into amino acids and poly peptides. They are then absorbed and transported to the liver where they will either undergo gluconeogenesis or be released into the blood stream. Your tissues then take up the aminos that they need. The remainder is either converted to lipid or CHO intermediates by the liver and then either stored or released back into the blood.

You do not pee out excess protein, and fiber will not increase or decrease protein uptake. It may slow the digestion, but that's about it.

As for a protein shake prior to working out. I don't think it will make much of a difference. Now, having a liquid protein after you workout with some CHO will.

Br
Curious what amount of protein and carbohydrate you would recommend post workout and from what sources? Thanks.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
It doesn't take a lot to stimulate protein synthesis post workout. In fact, a serving of cholate milk will do it.

A lot will depend on the volume of the training session. The higher the volume, the more CHO you may need. In general, 25 pro/25 cho is ample. For people who are on higher calorie diets, then this is a good time to get in extra liquid calories, and you could even increase it to 50/100.

Br

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Supplements 1
Daff Supplements 9
H Supplements 9
SwoleNation Supplements 8
nasty88 Nutrition / Health 25