Whey/Casein Combo the New Go To?

Diesel656

Diesel656

Awards
First of all as you can see this is my first post. I have lurked these forums for some time soaking up quite a bit of knowledge and thought this may be my time to contribute for once!

I just stumbled upon an interesting article that discussed a study analyzing the effects of Whey vs. Casein protein and their effects on whole body protein synthesis vs. muscle protein synthesis - conclusion being a mix of the two was ideal. Also of interest was a finding that additional Leucine supplementation was of no real value.

Well it just came to my attention I can't add links until I post more, so... Google 'casein vs whey' and it's the result from ironmanmagazine.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
Just buy a cheap whey protein mix it with two cups of milk BAM whey and casein mix :D

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Or dont worry about such things and eat some food lol

Diesel656

Diesel656

Awards
Ah man do I eat. It's damn hard to get enough calories for me with healthy food. I feel like healthy calories take up ten times the volume that a 'dirty bulk' would. The milk addition is a good call but too much lactose doesn't seem to sit well. Either way I thought it was interesting because I have read so many times that the sinergy between the two negates one's benefits or the other.

The Leucine comment stands to reason as I never felt any benefit from adding that other than a bit of BCAAs to a PWO. I see some people swearing by it on here, though.

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
BCAA addition is benefitial if you are in deficit and do not want to eat more protein. Casein/Whey mix is arguably better than either alone. Protein blends are arguably even better. I always mix mine with milk. You can get lactose free milk, but that is not required. In the long run, if the diet is good, a shake a day is not going to tip things one way or another. Just get your protein in.

pudgey

Awards
I do the same I simply add 1 scoop casein and one scoop whey

Diesel656

Diesel656

Awards
In the long run, if the diet is good, a shake a day is not going to tip things one way or another. Just get your protein in.
That's what I am starting to think. I feel as though the more I research the more I want to split hairs when in the grand scheme of things, the little details won't make or break a damn thing. Except maybe my bank account.

ahh123

ahh123

Awards
  • Established
Was researching a bit about potential sources of allergies on dairy product and found few sites suggesting that it's actually casein that's causing many people to get allergies or skin inflammations from consuming dairy products.

...The protein in cow's milk is 20% whey protein and 80% casein protein...

...mother's milk is 60% whey and 40% casein...
Since I also developed an allergy on milk 3 years ago, I'll try next week with SunWarrior's black rice protein powder that should be hypoallergenic.

Weird so many threads about whey protein powders but almost 0 about plant protein powders like the ones from black rice, pea or their combo.

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
Was researching a bit about potential sources of allergies on dairy product and found few sites suggesting that it's actually casein that's causing many people to get allergies or skin inflammations from consuming dairy products.

Since I also developed an allergy on milk 3 years ago, I'll try next week with SunWarrior's black rice protein powder that should be hypoallergenic.

Weird so many threads about whey protein powders but almost 0 about plant protein powders like the ones from black rice, pea or their combo.
That is because plant proteins tend to be incmplete proteins or low in some a,ino acids such as BCAA. Re you alergic to lactose or to protein itself?

ahh123

ahh123

Awards
  • Established
That is because plant proteins tend to be incomplete proteins or low in some a,ino acids such as BCAA. Re you allergic to lactose or to protein itself?
Not allergic to lactose cause never get any diarrhea but skin around nose gets red which is a sign of a skin inflammation (seborrhoic dermatitis developed 3 years ago when I was close to turning 30).

Was even at allergy doctor which tested me allergic to milk, pork meat, wheat flour, cocoa, refined sugar... which is weird since I could eat all this stuff before reaching 30.

Maybe hormonal imbalance at this age shows true face (my bloodwork done this week showed 431 for testosterone, 34 for estradiol and high cortisol levels).

Talk about hormonal imbalance that comes with age.

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
A good option to milk is unsweetned coconut milk just started to use it and its pretty good(creamy)has 50cals to cup and makes a awesome bedtime casien shake 1c/1scoop makes like a moose type pudding.

dactyl

dactyl

Awards
Damn phone! , but I was about to say , cocunut milk is awesome , not much for protein, but the for overall taste and added calories to your shake, and to slow the absortion rate , great in between meals , I also eat a 1/2 cup of oats , dry right out of a cup, and wash it down with my cocunut milk protien shake, my inbetween breakfast and lunch meal usually. I do catch my self takin swig of the cocunut milk out of the carton everytime I am in the kitchen

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
those living in Texas and have HEB store, chechout their mootopia milk. It has double the protein and half the carbs of regular milk. they have it in skim, 2%, and chocolate milk. I use te skim version.

I'm going to try Trutein. I hear good things about the profile and taste.