What to eat while living out of a van on the road?

redrobe

Awards
Hey guys,

I'm looking for some creative food ideas that I can eat while my band goes on tour for 2 weeks. I may have a cooler but not much ability to cook stuff but I'm mostly looking for non-perishable foods. I don't eat meat so beef jerky is out but I'm hoping to keep my protein high. I do eat fish but that's not really gonna work on this trip.

I'm thinking:

Nuts
Peanut Butter
Cottage Cheese (in the cooler)
Bread
Egg/Veggie/Salmon Sausage Fritta (in the cooler) (cooked before I leave and eaten early in the trip)
Apples
Bananas

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
Protein bars, trail mix, sunflower seeds, misc. nuts, packs of "string" cheese, I'll try to think of more.

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I would say a wide variety of bars to keep some variation in your taste. Drinks are nice but take up room, weigh more, cost more per gram of protein, and usually have to be refrigerated after opening.

D2footballjrc

D2footballjrc

Awards
Hey guys,

I'm looking for some creative food ideas that I can eat while my band goes on tour for 2 weeks. I may have a cooler but not much ability to cook stuff but I'm mostly looking for non-perishable foods. I don't eat meat so beef jerky is out but I'm hoping to keep my protein high. I do eat fish but that's not really gonna work on this trip.

I'm thinking:

Nuts
Peanut Butter
Bread
Egg/Veggie/Salmon Sausage Fritta (in the cooler) (cooked before I leave and eaten early in the trip)
Apples
Bananas
For protein you can take some protein powder as well. Not really food but it can help with protein and some of the other nutrients.

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
Tuna with the cottage cheese or greek yogurt,sardinies,clams anything like that in cans.
Mre meals from online(military food)

Alpha Mind

Awards
Tuna is a solid choice. I'm not a big fan of meat in cans (aside from Tuna), but I know some guys who get down on canned salmon and other fish. It's fairly inexpensive and I imagine it doesn't taste too bad either.

Peanut or almond butter and ezekiel bread is nice, but you have to keep the bread in the cooler, which is somewhat annoying.

I would focus on making sure you get enough calories by the numbers, are eating a decent amount of protein, and then bring some protein powder to supplement until you're at your desired numbers.

Whenever I'd be on the road, I always found myself not eating enough calories overall, which should probably be a bigger concern than protein.

Alpha Mind

Awards
Tuna is a solid choice. I'm not a big fan of meat in cans (aside from Tuna), but I know some guys who get down on canned salmon and other fish. It's fairly inexpensive and I imagine it doesn't taste too bad either.

Peanut or almond butter and ezekiel bread is nice, but you have to keep the bread in the cooler, which is somewhat annoying.

I would focus on making sure you get enough calories by the numbers, are eating a decent amount of protein, and then bring some protein powder to supplement until you're at your desired numbers.

Whenever I'd be on the road, I always found myself not eating enough calories overall, which should probably be a bigger concern than protein.

redrobe

Awards
THanks for all the input guys. This is super helpful. I'm headed off to the grocery store now!

D2footballjrc

D2footballjrc

Awards

This is a good point. Tuna is great, and they have the tuna with packages of mayo and crackers and etc.

redrobe

Awards
Greetings from the road. I'm in the back of the van at the moment. First meal was 2 slices of Ezekiel bread with mounds of tuna salad, veggie chips, 2 sticks of string cheese and an apple. Delish.

jherman08

jherman08

Awards
  • Established
Beef jerky :thumbsup:

1lb jacks links for $11 at sams club

*slaps self in face after re-reading original post*

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Hey guys,

I'm thinking:

Nuts
Peanut Butter
Bread
Apples
Bananas
Protein Shakes bro. It's as easy as adding water. It's def. less sodium than a lot of that other stuff you have listed below. Just make sure your drinking lots of water. Also Tuna isn't a bad road snack.