Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.31%

Fasted training

Just looking for feedback concerning training on an empty stomach. I train around 345am and only consume black coffee before I train. Am I limiting gains?

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.31%

Anyone??
  3. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.3%
    Achievements Posting Pro

probably not, take in some BCAAs, i like just leucine during workout. i usually do 10g.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.79%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I have trained fasted for the past 2 yrs and have never had any problems reaching set goals.
  5. On my grind
    Stats
    5'8"  182 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.38%
    Achievements Posting VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Like others have said its doubtful. Its about what you do over time n staying consistent. Because if all i had to do was get pre n post workout nutrition right id be a monster.
    E-Pharm Rep... PM me with any questions or concerns
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.31%

Thanks for the feedback guys.
  7. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.23%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

I have tried it for months on the LG diet. I noticed that my strength was about the same BUT I fatigued much faster and didn't have the same energy level. IMO, this slightly limited the total intensity I could get out of my training and thereby was a limiting factor in the maximum rate of my possible progression.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions rep
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.31%

Thanks for the input guys
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.63%

I like to workout in a fasted state. I just feel lighter and my body isn't devoting any energy to digestion. And then it sure is fun to eat like a lion after the post-workout shower.

But like anything, it has it's pros and cons. I do notice an increase in energy when I workout later in the day and have consumed some calories but for some reason I tend to stick with the fasted workouts.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.31%

Quote Originally Posted by redrobe
    I like to workout in a fasted state. I just feel lighter and my body isn't devoting any energy to digestion. And then it sure is fun to eat like a lion after the post-workout shower.

But like anything, it has it's pros and cons. I do notice an increase in energy when I workout later in the day and have consumed some calories but for some reason I tend to stick with the fasted workouts.
    Have you ever tried aminos or anything pre workout.
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.63%

I haven't. I've read plenty of recommendations on taking BCAA's before a fasted workout but I just don't have the cash to try it out. I've cut myself off from buying supplements for awhile. I follow a lazy "lean gains" protocol. I eat between 12-8pm or 1-9pm, keep the protein up and don't worry much about my carbs but overall get in the right number of calories for the day/week, and just train hard.

I'm happy with the results. I've dropped 18 lbs in the last 7-8 months and have held onto my muscle. I'm 5'10 160lb so I'm not big but in good shape.

You're lookin' good in your icon pic. Keep it up and don't be afraid to try out fasted training for awhile. Check out leangains.com that guy has way more info than me.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  199 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.97%

I have a tough time doing my light recovery routines fasted if i overdo it just alittle or even not eat the right fruit/protein afterwards(fast digested/higher glucose)i have fatigue for hours afterwards now.

This is with a h/r of only around 130bpm at the highest didn't use to have this "problem"so fasted training(lifting,running,ect)i s a no no for me.

Plus a to friggin hungry when i wake up to train with any more intensity!My morning coffee only takes the hunger away long enough to either do a 45-60min recovery w/o and make breakfast
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  224 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.76%

I'm done eating at midnight and train fasted at 1pm the next day, trying a no carb pre workout drink that's bringing back the pump and energy, this may help you.
  14. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.83%

It really depends on how your own body
    Responds to it .
    Remember we are all different
    Some can train fasted and others can't
    Me myself cannot train fasted
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.31%

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline310
    It really depends on how your own body
    Responds to it .
    Remember we are all different
    Some can train fasted and others can't
    Me myself cannot train fasted
    I prefer to train fasted.... My question is am I limiting gains? I eat immediately post training.
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.22%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by 0071982WC

I prefer to train fasted.... My question is am I limiting gains? I eat immediately post training.
    Bcaa during training and quality calories throughout the day.

If your diet is conducive to gaining then yes you will gain...the same as if you weren't training fasted.
    Its about overall macros
  17. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.37%

I would say at the very least some EAA/added leucine would be a nice addition, then just have your PWO shake, or meal.

I trained fasted for a LONG time.
  18. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.49%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by 0071982WC View Post
    IMO, no but I will echo the other comments suggesting to get some aminos in. My favorite fasted training method is using the AP protocol
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  19. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.3%
    Achievements Posting Pro

i like 10g leucine during my workout!!!

best thing ive ever done.
  20. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.49%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by ssbackwards View Post
    i like 10g leucine during my workout!!!

best thing ive ever done.
    Why only leucine?
  21. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.01%

Definitely have at least 10 grams of BCAA's right before working out or during. It will help keep your muscles working close to maximum endurance
  22. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.16%

I would say that it is probably not optimal to train fasted. Im not sure there are any conclusive studies to point to one way of the other, but logic tells me that if you are low on energy then intensity may suffer. When your overall calorie intake is at or above maintenance, then catabolism isnt as big of a worry because glycogen stores are going to be topped off so glucose will be your main fuel source When in a caloric deficit you need to be a bit more careful as you get depleted, your body is much more likely to chew on muscle during the especially catabolic time of training. Definitely get some BCAA's in, and it would probably be wise to have a small shot of carbs as well.
    Sean Campbell
    Pro Natural Bodybuilder
    NRC Sponsored Athlete - Cabergolean.com
  23. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.3%
    Achievements Posting Pro

not really

ketones preserve muscle. and if your eating carbs glycogen is full. muscle glycogen cant be used to sustain blood glucose. so if your training anaerobically its not going to matter if you lift. glycogen is full.
  24. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.16%

not really

ketones preserve muscle. and if your eating carbs glycogen is full. muscle glycogen cant be used to sustain blood glucose. so if your training anaerobically its not going to matter if you lift. glycogen is full.
    Im not sure I understand your post. But I am assuming the OP is not using a ketogenic based diet (as he never stated he was). If you are training anaerobically, then muscle glycogen is going to be the main fuel source that your target muscle is using to lift the weight.

As you get further and further into a diet, even when dieting on relatively high carbohydrates, muscle glycogen is topped off less and less as dietary carbohydrates are used to fuel normal daily activity. As you become more depleted (but not switched over to ketones because carbs are not below that ketogenic threshold) it is much more likely that broken down muscle tissue (aminos acids) are used as fuel while in the gym. This is muscle catabolism and this is what we are trying to mitigate as much as possible as we train. By ingesting a small dose of carbs in a depleted state, we spare those amino acids to be redistributed to muscle repair when we are back in an anabolic state at some point following the training session.
    Sean Campbell
    Pro Natural Bodybuilder
  25. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.31%

Quote Originally Posted by AustrianOakJr

Im not sure I understand your post. But I am assuming the OP is not using a ketogenic based diet (as he never stated he was). If you are training anaerobically, then muscle glycogen is going to be the main fuel source that your target muscle is using to lift the weight.

As you get further and further into a diet, even when dieting on relatively high carbohydrates, muscle glycogen is topped off less and less as dietary carbohydrates are used to fuel normal daily activity. As you become more depleted (but not switched over to ketones because carbs are not below that ketogenic threshold) it is much more likely that broken down muscle tissue (aminos acids) are used as fuel while in the gym. This is muscle catabolism and this is what we are trying to mitigate as much as possible as we train. By ingesting a small dose of carbs in a depleted state, we spare those amino acids to be redistributed to muscle repair when we are back in an anabolic state at some point following the training session.
    So am I limiting gains by training fasted?
  26. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.31%

I feel great in the early am! No problems with energy issues or anything. Still gradually making strength gains. I stick around 7% bf at 160lbs. My goal is to be around 175 at the same bf. I'm in no hurry, just wanted to know if I'm spinning my wheels by training fasted. I recentl started taking 5g of unflavored bcaa preworkout. Is this enough to ward of catabolism. I'm not big on sups, just like to stick with creapure and quality natural whey. Like I said having a great journey on this bodybuilding adventure, so all input is appreciated. Are my goals unrealistic while trying to stay so lean.
  27. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.49%

No your not. It really just boils down to a preference
  28. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.16%

In this case where your energy levels are great and you are not in a calorie deficit, I would agree with JudoJosh. No, you are probably not limiting gains. You said yourself that you are making strength gains....so you kind of answered your own question. If its working, keep it up!! If you start to diet (in a deficit), you might want to rethink your strategy because the game changes a bit as you lean out further.
    Sean Campbell
    Pro Natural Bodybuilder
  29. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.3%
    Achievements Posting Pro

all im saying is glycogen is still available, and recycled through lactate as well.

50g is more then enough IMO to serve through a workout.
    Fats Burn in a Carbohydrate Flame, Right?
    It has been claimed that carbohydrates serve as a primer for fat catabolism ("fats burn in a carbohydrate flame"). However, as pointed out by Robergs and Roberts [22], this is an incorrect contention. In skeletal muscle, fat certainly does not burn in a carbohydrate flame, as skeletal muscle does not have sufficient quantities of the enzymes to convert glycolytic intermediates into molecules that can be transported into the mitochondria to supplement citric acid cycle intermediates. Further, the production of acetoacyl CoA, a substrate of ketone body formation, can occur only in the liver and thus does not apply to skeletal muscle metabolism. Human skeletal muscle can oxidize at least seven amino acids: leucine, isoleucine, valine, glutamate, asparagine, aspartate and alanine. Of these amino acids, however, oxidation of only the branched chain amino acids (leucine, isoleucine and valine) appears to be increased during catabolic states such as exercise.
    When muscle glycogen and blood glucose concentrations are low, the incorporation of the carbon skeletons from amino acids into the citric acid cycle is important for maintaining the concentrations of the intermediates, and therefore a high rate of mitochondrial respiration. Thus, both muscle fat and carbohydrate burn in an amino acid flame. As discussed by Robergs and Roberts [22], amino acid catabolism during exercise is important for three reasons: 1) for free energy during exercise to fuel muscle contraction; 2) to increase concentrations of citric acid cycle intermediates and therefore support carbohydrate and lipid catabolism; and 3) to serve as gluconeogenic precursors. It has also been claimed that carbohydrate provides the only macronutrient substrate whose stored energy generates ATP non-aerobically. This is not the case, however, since several studies have shown that amino acid catabolism also provides a source of anaerobic energy production [23], Aspartate, for example, can be fermented to succinate or propionate [24]. Interestingly, Ivy et al. [25] and Saunders et al. [26], reported that the addition of protein to a carbohydrate supplement enhanced endurance performance above that which occurred with carbohydrate alone.

hence the need for BCAAs
  30. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.3%
    Achievements Posting Pro
  31. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.88%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Nice article. Up those bcaas!
    RecoverBro ELITE
  32. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.16%

all im saying is glycogen is still available, and recycled through lactate as well.

50g is more then enough IMO to serve through a workout.

hence the need for BCAAs
    Definitely not arguing the advantage of ingesting BCAA's pre-intra workout. Pre-form BCAA's are one of my staples. I was simply asserting that carbs (along with the protein) ingested pre workout spare excessive aminos (broken down skeletal muscle) from being burned. But, yes a certain amount of amino acid metabolism is going to occur during training.....hence the reason for supplementation.
    Sean Campbell
    Pro Natural Bodybuilder
  33. Enhanced Body Formulations REP
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.76%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I feel great in the early am! No problems with energy issues or anything. Still gradually making strength gains. I stick around 7% bf at 160lbs. My goal is to be around 175 at the same bf. I'm in no hurry, just wanted to know if I'm spinning my wheels by training fasted. I recentl started taking 5g of unflavored bcaa preworkout. Is this enough to ward of catabolism. I'm not big on sups, just like to stick with creapure and quality natural whey. Like I said having a great journey on this bodybuilding adventure, so all input is appreciated. Are my goals unrealistic while trying to stay so lean.
    jump on the LeanGains wagon man
    ...::: EBF REP :::...
    Recompadrol-AAv2-Metabolic Pow(d)er
    THE FUTURE OF LEAN
  34. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.97%

Just looking for feedback concerning training on an empty stomach. I train around 345am and only consume black coffee before I train. Am I limiting gains?
    As long as your getting the proper amount of rest. The time you train doesn't really matter much. It is suggested to train earlier due to the natural levels of your hormones peaking at that time, but a good pre-workout supp would help you a lot.
  35. Enhanced Body Formulations REP
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.76%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleGauge1
    As long as your getting the proper amount of rest. The time you train doesn't really matter much. It is suggested to train earlier due to the natural levels of your hormones peaking at that time, but a good pre-workout supp would help you a lot.
    Craze for pre workout drink...if pill form look at rpm and anabeta
    ...::: EBF REP :::...
    Recompadrol-AAv2-Metabolic Pow(d)er
    THE FUTURE OF LEAN
  36. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.31%

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleGauge1
    Thanks for the feedback bro. I love preworkouts, I just hate all the trash that they put in them these days. Black coffee works great for me.
  37. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  272 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.97%

Assuming that your training is not the only thing you have going on in your life, just train whenever is the most convenient time for you.

I'm definitley stronger in the mid afternoon, after work, but it's just not convenient for me because of family commitments etc. So i train fasted in the a.m. before work. I'm actually used to it now and it's like my own private home gym. There's not many who can train intensely at that hour!!!

I use BCAA's pre w/o and coffee, of course, and Citrulline Malate / Beta Alanine in water during the workout. Two supps i'm experimenting, not recommending, with now are Acetyl-l-Carnitine and Choline Bitarate. The focus and alertness i get is just what i need at that hour.

I don't think this is a poll for "The Best Time To Train" so if YOU feel good training at that hour then it's then it's the right time and as long as your nutrition is up to scratch then you WILL NOT be limiting your gains.

Great topic for discussion though.
  38. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.31%

Great feedback bro!
  39. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.31%

Quote Originally Posted by Jag
    Assuming that your training is not the only thing you have going on in your life, just train whenever is the most convenient time for you.

I'm definitley stronger in the mid afternoon, after work, but it's just not convenient for me because of family commitments etc. So i train fasted in the a.m. before work. I'm actually used to it now and it's like my own private home gym. There's not many who can train intensely at that hour!!!

I use BCAA's pre w/o and coffee, of course, and Citrulline Malate / Beta Alanine in water during the workout. Two supps i'm experimenting, not recommending, with now are Acetyl-l-Carnitine and Choline Bitarate. The focus and alertness i get is just what i need at that hour.

I don't think this is a poll for "The Best Time To Train" so if YOU feel good training at that hour then it's then it's the right time and as long as your nutrition is up to scratch then you WILL NOT be limiting your gains.

Great topic for discussion though.
    Is there a specific reason you take your beta alanine intra workout? Just curious because I begin to supplement with BA this week.
  40. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  272 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.97%

Is there a specific reason you take your beta alanine intra workout? Just curious because I begin to supplement with BA this week.
    No specific reason really. I used to have all the powders pre workout which was a lot all at once and i did get a little queazy sometimes being first thing in the morning and empty stomach and all. So i just added it to 400-500ml of water and sipped it during the workout like a drip feed.

It didn't lose any effectiveness so i kept doing it. I try and finish it by the halfway point of the workout though so if you try it just add it to the amount of water you would drink to that point.

Similar Forum Threads

1. When to eat after fasted cardio.
    By jumpshot903 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-04-2010, 02:05 PM
  2. AM fasted workout??
    By natandrb in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-17-2009, 02:57 PM
  3. For those who workout in the AM, fasted...
    By ozarkaBRAND in forum Supplements
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 02-11-2009, 09:26 PM
  4. doing fasted cardio now what
    By tommytucker69 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 10-23-2008, 10:19 PM
  5. Help /w fasted AM cardio...
    By SwordBurn in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-03-2007, 06:41 PM