how do you measure your coconut oil?

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
a solid being denser then liquid....

with that said when using a tablespoon of EVCO is it better you melt the product and use 1 tablespoon of the oil, or do you use 1 tablespoon of the semi solid EVCO?

i feel melting it a little make measuring easier, and more precise and less chance for error, and if keeping it solid, due to the density, actually end up using more if measuring a solid tablespoon vs melted table spoon....

your thoughts everyone?

oh and when you can....

melt the EVCO pour it on broccoli w garlic and salt, youll thank me later :)

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
melting it is certainly more precise. However it kind of ruins portability aspect of it. When you use it as a solid and just stick a tbsp in there, you can carry a container of it around just like you would a jar of PB and use it on the go.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I just leave mine near the stove.. when I am done cooking it is usually in liquid form and I dose prebed.

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
but is it less fat in melted vs solid due to density? thats where im concerned

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I dont believe so.. when it is a liquid or solid it still occupys the same volume it appears.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Like everything else....A scale.

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
i have a digi scal unfortunalty my weighing plate is gone, i just weigh everything wihtout it, proble with doing that with oil, is well i guess you can guess that it jus doesnt work lol

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i have a digi scal unfortunalty my weighing plate is gone, i just weigh everything wihtout it, proble with doing that with oil, is well i guess you can guess that it jus doesnt work lol
You can't just put the tub on the scale, and "tare it" then take oil out, until you hit the correct value?

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
no bc i want to measure solid oil vs liquid oil in terms of weight. bc like i said, solid is denser then liquid, there fore serving size may be in terms of mL which is a liquid measurement, as opposed to a gram measurement which is a solid measurement.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
no bc i want to measure solid oil vs liquid oil in terms of weight. bc like i said, solid is denser then liquid.
This doesnt matter.. a gram no matter liquid, solid, gas or a hershey squirt will all still weigh exactly one gram.

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
This doesnt matter.. a gram no matter liquid, solid, gas or a hershey squirt will all still weigh exactly one gram.
i think your not understanding what i say..

Take a tablespoon of EVCO in its solid state... melt it down... would it it measure out to 1 tablespoon oil... if not then should you measure your tablespoon of EVCO in the liquid state.... maybe that makes more sense.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Also, the idea of all solids of any flavor being denser is a misnomer. This can be seen in water for example. The density of water as a liquid is more so than that when phased as a solid. As a solid waters bonds to each other become very rigid, whereas a liquid they are more flexible and allow the individual molecules to squeeze closer together. This is an oversimplification, but used just as an example.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
i think your not understanding what i say..

Take a tablespoon of EVCO in its solid state... melt it down... would it it measure out to 1 tablespoon oil... if not then should you measure your tablespoon of EVCO in the liquid state.... maybe that makes more sense.
I understand what you are saying. Here is a little chart for you that should assist.

Amount : 1 tbsp (tablespoon) of coconut oil
Equals : 13.51 g (gram) of coconut oil
Fraction : 13 [SUP]51[/SUP]/100 g (gram) of coconut oil

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
no bc i want to measure solid oil vs liquid oil in terms of weight. bc like i said, solid is denser then liquid.
lol..what? What weighs more 1lb of feathers or 1lb of led?

14g of coconut oil is 14g liquid or solid..

Measure 14g of coconut oil out on a scale, and melt it. Re-weigh it. Report back.

I am not sure why you are making this so complicated. Weigh out the oil in solid or liquid form, and eat it.

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
the liquid takes up more surface area, i know im overthinking but i gotta photo shoot sat and im making sure cals are perfect.

ill find out the best way. scrutinizing my thoughts arent helping anyone.

simple question.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
the liquid takes up more surface area, i know im overthinking but i gotta photo shoot sat and im making sure cals are perfect.

ill find out the best way. scrutinizing my thoughts arent helping anyone.

simple question.
Dude, what are you saying...lol WEIGH IT ON A SCALE! It is not that you are over thinking it, it is that what you are saying makes no sense..lol

Seriously, I can't make it any clearer. The most accurate way to dispense it, is to just weigh it.

If you don't have a "plate" for your scale, take the tub, place it on the scale, and remove the desired amount of WEIGHT from the tub, and consume it.

It makes no difference if you remove it from the tub via teaspoon, or shovel, in liquid or in solid the weight remains the same.

Lets take popcorn as example. It takes up a lot of "surface area".

If 1cup of popcorn is = 8g, and 8g of popcorn is = to 30 calories, and you take the popcorn and blend it in a blender and now that 1cup of popcorn is 1/4 cup, it is still that same cup of popcorn, which is = 30 calories.

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
ill figure it out. makes sense in my head. lol

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
ill figure it out. makes sense in my head. lol
I feel like you are going to read this thread, in 2 days, and wonder WTF you were thinking..LOL

Seriously, the weight doesn't change. Just weigh out the amount you want, and that is it man. There is nothing more to think about, other then the best way to eat it..:)

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
I feel like you are going to read this thread, in 2 days, and wonder WTF you were thinking..LOL

Seriously, the weight doesn't change. Just weigh out the amount you want, and that is it man. There is nothing more to think about, other then the best way to eat it..:)
'

i eat that **** like butter,

50% of my fat cals are from it the other is from either EVOO, almond butter, avacado, macadamia nuts, pecan halves, and cacao nibs.

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
ok ****ers. lol

heres how it goes....

1 tablespoon is approx 15g by conversion up there.

solid coconut oil in a half tablespoon is 4.7-5.1 g. there for 3 1/2 tablespoon in this case is equal to a serving,

this means solid coconut oil = 1.5 tablespoon serving.

therefor best to measure in liquid as a tablespoon for best measurement since 1 liquid tablespoon is equal to 15mL or 14.3-15g.

now do you guys understand why i asked this.

oh and weight solide coconut oil is a bitch,.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
oh and weight solide coconut oil is a bitch,.
It really isn't, and takes all of 5 seconds lol But whatever floats your boat.

It is the most accurate way to measure it, which seems as that is what you were concerned with.

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
It really isn't, and takes all of 5 seconds lol But whatever floats your boat.

It is the most accurate way to measure it, which seems as that is what you were concerned with.
its not the most accurate, it took 3 .5 tablespoons to get 15g of coconut oil!

weighing it liquid is more accurate especially since serving size unit is 15mL which is a liquid measurement.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
its not the most accurate, it took 3 .5 tablespoons to get 15g of coconut oil!

weighing it liquid is more accurate especially since serving size unit is 15mL which is a liquid measurement.
Dude you are dense as **** lol

It doesn't matter how many table spoons it took, 15g is 15g. I seriously thought you were brighter then this.lol

This is probably the single dumbest debate I have ever had with someone over the age of 4

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
i am, im just saying for people who are using 1 table spoon solid coconut oil, they arent getting the right amount people usually dont weigh oil. so im passing it on.

if your not going to weigh it, melt it and use a table spoon otherwise its 1.5 tablespoons for a serving.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i am, im just saying for people who are using 1 table spoon solid coconut oil, they arent getting the right amount people usually dont weigh oil. so im passing it on.

if your not going to weigh it, melt it and use a table spoon otherwise its 1.5 tablespoons for a serving.
You just said weighing it wasn't the most accurate lol.

My brain hurts.