Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  178 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.83%

Diet Soda while cutting

What is everyone's opinion on Diet Soda? Avoid at all costs, minimal consumption, or does not matter how much you drink.

2. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.43%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I haven't drank soda in years FWIW
  3. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.98%
    Achievements Posting Pro

every so often,

im a huge crystal lite person but trying to find alternatives like regular tea lemon juice and a natural sweetener
    •   

4. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.14%

From a simply bodybuilding/not-health perspective, you can drink it between meals. But I would avoid drinking it with a meal.
  5. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.29%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    From a simply bodybuilding/not-health perspective, you can drink it between meals. But I would avoid drinking it with a meal.
    Why?
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

***NOW @ NP***
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.21%

Drink as muuch as you desire, I love when people say you shouldn't. In fact a few of my friends drink it all the way through their contests and won their pro cards (naturally). An extreme case was a kid 20 years old in Septemeber, he won the whole show and I overheard him saying that the only thing that kept him going was a whole case of diet cherry pepsi everyday the last 2 weeks. He was Diced. So there's your answer buddy boiii
  7. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.27%

Quote Originally Posted by JajaNe20 View Post
    Drink as muuch as you desire, I love when people say you shouldn't. In fact a few of my friends drink it all the way through their contests and won their pro cards (naturally). An extreme case was a kid 20 years old in Septemeber, he won the whole show and I overheard him saying that the only thing that kept him going was a whole case of diet cherry pepsi everyday the last 2 weeks. He was Diced. So there's your answer buddy boiii
    While I am pro diet soda, It doesn't make sense to have more than a couple a day. The sodium content alone can justify that. In all honesty I don't think diet soda will effect you in a negative fashion as long as you make sure you are getting enough water. In no way should you be replacing water with any type of soda. In the instance that you drink one too many... Up your potassium intake a bit
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  202 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.95%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Diet soda is my dessert when I'm cutting.
  9. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.93%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

the only things i drink are water and my preworkout
    The difference between who you are and who you want to be is what you do.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  236 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.95%

Diet soda contains no calories.

This should be the only argument needed.
  11. Idiot Savant
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.99%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
    Diet soda contains no calories.

This should be the only argument needed.
    It has calories, but really it's grasping at straws. FDA only regulates listing calorie contents for the macros, so things like sucrolose, aspartame and even alcohol get a pass. Last I check, sucrolose had a calorie content of 2/gram, about half of a standard carb. So the real question to ask is how many grams are used in each bottle of soda.
    ~ Nothing can kill the Grimace!!

12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.76%

Not a bid deal, big fan of diet pepsi here. I wash down 2 meals a day with diet diet pepsi and occasionally diet dr. pepper.
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.29%

Love me some diet soda, calories are barely measurable and it keeps u sane...nuff said
    Beast Sports Nutrition Representative
    www.beastsports.com
  14. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.93%

Dont get me wrong i cheat once a week in my diet but if you cant leave the soda IMO that says something about your commitment to BB. But i guess if your not competition serious i would find it okay. I am by no means competition ready but thats my goal so i always tell myself "your competition is training right now and is doing anything they can to out work me, what am I gonna do about it?"
  15. Idiot Savant
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.99%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by rochabp View Post
    Dont get me wrong i cheat once a week in my diet but if you cant leave the soda IMO that says something about your commitment to BB. But i guess if your not competition serious i would find it okay. I am by no means competition ready but thats my goal so i always tell myself "your competition is training right now and is doing anything they can to out work me, what am I gonna do about it?"
    I'll tell you what your going to do about it.... your going to stop drinking diet soda, that's what your going to do about it!!!!!

16. Primordial Performance Rep
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.42%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I drink diet coke. I try to stay heavy on water consumption, but occasionally a diet soda is incredibly refreshing.
    Just inject.
    Facebook:
    www.facebook.com/heretostudy
  17. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.93%

Quote Originally Posted by prld2gr8ns View Post
    I'll tell you what your going to do about it.... your going to stop drinking diet soda, that's what your going to do about it!!!!!
    yeah!
  18. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.33%

i drink it all the time. no problems
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
  19. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  263 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.25%

I drink the calorie free, sugar free soda in moderation.
    Athletic Xtreme - Are you Xtreme enough?
    www.AthleticXtreme.com
    -Philippians 4:13-
  20. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.48%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityActivity AuthorityActivity ProActivity Veteran

I was a big fan of Coke Zero (tasted dead-on to the regular, to me). Outside of that, I hated most diet sodas because the taste was just always off. There are a few I'm okay with (Dr. Pepper, Sierra Mist, root beer), but I loathe most. I never drank more than one a day other than if I was out at a party in college/grad school and I'd have a handful of cherry coke zeros while the guys were drinking beers. Recently, I've given it up completely, again, though. I tend to do better overall when I just drink water and whatever my supplements may be. I'd rather drink a good flavored BCAA product than a diet soda if I was craving something sweet.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve
  21. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.93%

hmm i have a feeling im alone on this one. never a fan of diet or regular soda, maybe because growing up everyone who i saw drink diet saw was freaking obese it wasnt funny. i would watch them drink a gallon yes literally a gallon of diet soda throughout the day, i guess that always stuck with me. idk you guys enjoy ur "diet soda" i prefer hydrating water or very worst that sugar free gatoraid. idk just me.
  22. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  236 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.95%

It has calories, but really it's grasping at straws. FDA only regulates listing calorie contents for the macros, so things like sucrolose, aspartame and even alcohol get a pass. Last I check, sucrolose had a calorie content of 2/gram, about half of a standard carb. So the real question to ask is how many grams are used in each bottle of soda.
    Artificial sweeteners are used in milligram and even microgram quantities.
  23. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.29%

Quote Originally Posted by rochabp
    I guess i dont really understand ur rationale here; as I'm sitting here takin a dump im probably burning off more than the minute quantity of calories i consumed f
    www.beastsports.com
  24. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.29%

Quote Originally Posted by rochabp
    I guess i dont really understand ur rationale here; as I'm sitting here takin a dump im probably burning off more than the minute quantity of calories i consumed from my diet soda today, how does that negate my drive and commitment?

Dieting smart=/=dieting painfully. Its all about calories in vs caliries out. When getting to the last little bit of dieting where it starts to suck the most, i would rather get a boost of energy from the caffiene and enjoy something refreshing and delicious (again with barely any calorie content) than be miserable and lethargic
    www.beastsports.com
  25. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.93%

Quote Originally Posted by Beast Sports View Post
    I guess i dont really understand ur rationale here; as I'm sitting here takin a dump im probably burning off more than the minute quantity of calories i consumed from my diet soda today, how does that negate my drive and commitment?

Dieting smart=/=dieting painfully. Its all about calories in vs caliries out. When getting to the last little bit of dieting where it starts to suck the most, i would rather get a boost of energy from the caffiene and enjoy something refreshing and delicious (again with barely any calorie content) than be miserable and lethargic
    im trying to say its a psychological thing with me.
  26. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  236 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.95%

Ha. Miserable and lethargic to LESS miserably and lethargic.
  27. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.29%

Ha. Miserable and lethargic to LESS miserably and lethargic.
    For as much as i despise cutting, i'll take anything i can get ha
  28. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.48%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityActivity AuthorityActivity ProActivity Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Beast Sports View Post
    For as much as i despise cutting, i'll take anything i can get ha
    I hear meth works wonders

lol

But to add something serious and worthwhile, I agree with you. You don't have to be miserable to make progress. I also see the other spectrum and that's just that diet soda typically leads to me having more sweet tooth cravings than normal. There's nothing that says you can't have it, though or that it will hinder you. I still wouldn't take down a case a day, though lol.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
  29. Idiot Savant
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.99%

Artificial sweeteners are used in milligram and even microgram quantities.
    It's about 1gr/can. Average can of diet soda has around 2kcals. Like I said, grasping at straws but still it's not calorie free . What's interesting is the artificial sweetener's effects on taste receptor up regulation in L cells. May not be the wisest thing to consume something that makes you want more sweet things when dieting. But hey, the easy solution is just to drink more diet soda. Works good for the beverage industry. The money is all in the comeback, just like drugs.

30. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  236 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.95%

I'll concede to it.
  31. Idiot Savant
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.99%

I blame the labels . Nothing is free, the fda just likes to skew things a little to make some profit for the lobbyist. A really good example of food label abuse is with the "zero calorie" Parkay Spray Butter that I'm sure every on here has used at some time or another. Hate to break it to everyone but a bottle of that stuff has 900 kcals. The listed serving size is so small that it falls under 5kcals which by law allows it to be recognized as calorie free and as such labeled as "0" calories. Not bad, but when the servings per bottle is in the hundreds it adds up quick.

Things can be tricky sometimes especially when adhering to a bodybuilding lifestyle were every calorie counts.

32. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.48%

I blame the labels . Nothing is free, the fda just likes to skew things a little to make some profit for the lobbyist. A really good example of food label abuse is with the "zero calorie" Parkay Spray Butter that I'm sure every on here has used at some time or another. Hate to break it to everyone but a bottle of that stuff has 900 kcals. The listed serving size is so small that it falls under 5kcals which by law allows it to be recognized as calorie free and as such labeled as "0" calories. Not bad, but when the servings per bottle is in the hundreds it adds up quick.

Things can be tricky sometimes especially when adhering to a bodybuilding lifestyle were every calorie counts.
    Yep; it's shady. That's like the "0g trans-fat" on the label, but the serving size is so small that if you eat any decent amount, you're taking in trans-fat. Diet sodas aren't as bad (in my opinion) about doing that, but it's still not technically zero (even though as it's been mentioned, burning off the minimal calories that are in it isn't difficult to do just by taking a few extra steps).
  33. Idiot Savant
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.99%

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast View Post
    Yep; it's shady. That's like the "0g trans-fat" on the label, but the serving size is so small that if you eat any decent amount, you're taking in trans-fat. Diet sodas aren't as bad (in my opinion) about doing that, but it's still not technically zero (even though as it's been mentioned, burning off the minimal calories that are in it isn't difficult to do just by taking a few extra steps).
    Agreed

34. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  145 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.87%

I'm all for drinking as much as you can handle. I pretty much max out at 3 2-liter bottles A DAY and I have dropped down to 142lbs. So yeah, in my case at least, there is no dietary drawback. Also, I recently had some standard blood-work done (liver, kidneys, red and white blood-cell count etc) and everything came back perfectly normal.
  35. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  162 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.55%

When im dieting if I want a diet soda ill have a diet soda. Granted this may be a once a week occasion if even that frequent. If your drinking two a day you might wanna cut back. Just be conscious it has a lot of artificial sweetener and a LOT of sodium. Keep it in moderation. I like crystal light during diet too, just mix it with the gallon of water for the day.

I try to stick with water. Some coffee when Id like. And on occasion I want a diet Dr Pepper. Its it gonna kill me or my diet? No.
    By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, we create it. The nonexistent is whatever we have not sufficiently desired.
    Franz Kafka
  36. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  263 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.25%

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast View Post
    I tend to do better overall when I just drink water and whatever my supplements may be. I'd rather drink a good flavored BCAA product than a diet soda if I was craving something sweet.
    Love it when i have a big gallon of Xtend BCAA in my fridge...
    Athletic Xtreme - Are you Xtreme enough?
    www.AthleticXtreme.com
    -Philippians 4:13-
  37. Idiot Savant
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.99%

Quote Originally Posted by emekajokammor View Post
    Love it when i have a big gallon of Xtend BCAA in my fridge...
    that's not a bad idea. Kool Aid like.

38. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  236 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.95%

You also have to realize that if it is neglected fungus WILL grow in it. It's the perfect medium. Make sure to wash whatever container it is in well after each consumption.

FYI
  39. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  162 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.55%

You also have to realize that if it is neglected fungus WILL grow in it. It's the perfect medium. Make sure to wash whatever container it is in well after each consumption.

FYI
    Thats a good trivia question
    By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, we create it. The nonexistent is whatever we have not sufficiently desired.
    Franz Kafka
  40. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.25%

i only drink soft drinks... really hard to believe.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Diet Soda?
    By Danny813 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 02-10-2009, 12:10 PM
  2. Diet soda!
    By sf9ersfan8 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 05-23-2008, 02:46 PM
  3. Diet Soda
    By rampage jackson in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 29