Diet Soda while cutting

UTVolsfan

Awards
What is everyone's opinion on Diet Soda? Avoid at all costs, minimal consumption, or does not matter how much you drink.

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
every so often,

im a huge crystal lite person but trying to find alternatives like regular tea lemon juice and a natural sweetener

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
From a simply bodybuilding/not-health perspective, you can drink it between meals. But I would avoid drinking it with a meal.

JajaNe20

JajaNe20

Awards
  • Established
Drink as muuch as you desire, I love when people say you shouldn't. In fact a few of my friends drink it all the way through their contests and won their pro cards (naturally). An extreme case was a kid 20 years old in Septemeber, he won the whole show and I overheard him saying that the only thing that kept him going was a whole case of diet cherry pepsi everyday the last 2 weeks. He was Diced. So there's your answer buddy boiii

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Drink as muuch as you desire, I love when people say you shouldn't. In fact a few of my friends drink it all the way through their contests and won their pro cards (naturally). An extreme case was a kid 20 years old in Septemeber, he won the whole show and I overheard him saying that the only thing that kept him going was a whole case of diet cherry pepsi everyday the last 2 weeks. He was Diced. So there's your answer buddy boiii
While I am pro diet soda, It doesn't make sense to have more than a couple a day. The sodium content alone can justify that. In all honesty I don't think diet soda will effect you in a negative fashion as long as you make sure you are getting enough water. In no way should you be replacing water with any type of soda. In the instance that you drink one too many... Up your potassium intake a bit :)

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
Diet soda is my dessert when I'm cutting.

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
the only things i drink are water and my preworkout

TheProfessor

TheProfessor

Awards
Diet soda contains no calories.

This should be the only argument needed.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Diet soda contains no calories.

This should be the only argument needed.
It has calories, but really it's grasping at straws. FDA only regulates listing calorie contents for the macros, so things like sucrolose, aspartame and even alcohol get a pass. Last I check, sucrolose had a calorie content of 2/gram, about half of a standard carb. So the real question to ask is how many grams are used in each bottle of soda.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Not a bid deal, big fan of diet pepsi here. I wash down 2 meals a day with diet diet pepsi and occasionally diet dr. pepper.

Beast Sports

Beast Sports

Awards
Love me some diet soda, calories are barely measurable and it keeps u sane...nuff said

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Dont get me wrong i cheat once a week in my diet but if you cant leave the soda IMO that says something about your commitment to BB. But i guess if your not competition serious i would find it okay. I am by no means competition ready but thats my goal so i always tell myself "your competition is training right now and is doing anything they can to out work me, what am I gonna do about it?"

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dont get me wrong i cheat once a week in my diet but if you cant leave the soda IMO that says something about your commitment to BB. But i guess if your not competition serious i would find it okay. I am by no means competition ready but thats my goal so i always tell myself "your competition is training right now and is doing anything they can to out work me, what am I gonna do about it?"
I'll tell you what your going to do about it.... your going to stop drinking diet soda, that's what your going to do about it!!!!!

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Primordial Performance Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I drink diet coke. I try to stay heavy on water consumption, but occasionally a diet soda is incredibly refreshing.

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'll tell you what your going to do about it.... your going to stop drinking diet soda, that's what your going to do about it!!!!!
yeah!

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
i drink it all the time. no problems

emekajokammor

emekajokammor

Awards
I drink the calorie free, sugar free soda in moderation.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was a big fan of Coke Zero (tasted dead-on to the regular, to me). Outside of that, I hated most diet sodas because the taste was just always off. There are a few I'm okay with (Dr. Pepper, Sierra Mist, root beer), but I loathe most. I never drank more than one a day other than if I was out at a party in college/grad school and I'd have a handful of cherry coke zeros while the guys were drinking beers. Recently, I've given it up completely, again, though. I tend to do better overall when I just drink water and whatever my supplements may be. I'd rather drink a good flavored BCAA product than a diet soda if I was craving something sweet.

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
hmm i have a feeling im alone on this one. never a fan of diet or regular soda, maybe because growing up everyone who i saw drink diet saw was freaking obese it wasnt funny. i would watch them drink a gallon yes literally a gallon of diet soda throughout the day, i guess that always stuck with me. idk you guys enjoy ur "diet soda" i prefer hydrating water or very worst that sugar free gatoraid. idk just me.

TheProfessor

TheProfessor

Awards
It has calories, but really it's grasping at straws. FDA only regulates listing calorie contents for the macros, so things like sucrolose, aspartame and even alcohol get a pass. Last I check, sucrolose had a calorie content of 2/gram, about half of a standard carb. So the real question to ask is how many grams are used in each bottle of soda.
Artificial sweeteners are used in milligram and even microgram quantities.

Beast Sports

Beast Sports

Awards
I guess i dont really understand ur rationale here; as I'm sitting here takin a dump im probably burning off more than the minute quantity of calories i consumed f

Beast Sports

Beast Sports

Awards
I guess i dont really understand ur rationale here; as I'm sitting here takin a dump im probably burning off more than the minute quantity of calories i consumed from my diet soda today, how does that negate my drive and commitment?

Dieting smart=/=dieting painfully. Its all about calories in vs caliries out. When getting to the last little bit of dieting where it starts to suck the most, i would rather get a boost of energy from the caffiene and enjoy something refreshing and delicious (again with barely any calorie content) than be miserable and lethargic

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I guess i dont really understand ur rationale here; as I'm sitting here takin a dump im probably burning off more than the minute quantity of calories i consumed from my diet soda today, how does that negate my drive and commitment?

Dieting smart=/=dieting painfully. Its all about calories in vs caliries out. When getting to the last little bit of dieting where it starts to suck the most, i would rather get a boost of energy from the caffiene and enjoy something refreshing and delicious (again with barely any calorie content) than be miserable and lethargic
im trying to say its a psychological thing with me.

TheProfessor

TheProfessor

Awards
Ha. Miserable and lethargic to LESS miserably and lethargic.

Beast Sports

Beast Sports

Awards
MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For as much as i despise cutting, i'll take anything i can get ha
I hear meth works wonders :cool2:

lol

But to add something serious and worthwhile, I agree with you. You don't have to be miserable to make progress. I also see the other spectrum and that's just that diet soda typically leads to me having more sweet tooth cravings than normal. There's nothing that says you can't have it, though or that it will hinder you. I still wouldn't take down a case a day, though lol.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Artificial sweeteners are used in milligram and even microgram quantities.
It's about 1gr/can. Average can of diet soda has around 2kcals. Like I said, grasping at straws but still it's not calorie free ;). What's interesting is the artificial sweetener's effects on taste receptor up regulation in L cells. May not be the wisest thing to consume something that makes you want more sweet things when dieting. But hey, the easy solution is just to drink more diet soda. Works good for the beverage industry. The money is all in the comeback, just like drugs.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I blame the labels ;). Nothing is free, the fda just likes to skew things a little to make some profit for the lobbyist. A really good example of food label abuse is with the "zero calorie" Parkay Spray Butter that I'm sure every on here has used at some time or another. Hate to break it to everyone but a bottle of that stuff has 900 kcals. The listed serving size is so small that it falls under 5kcals which by law allows it to be recognized as calorie free and as such labeled as "0" calories. Not bad, but when the servings per bottle is in the hundreds it adds up quick.

Things can be tricky sometimes especially when adhering to a bodybuilding lifestyle were every calorie counts.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I blame the labels ;). Nothing is free, the fda just likes to skew things a little to make some profit for the lobbyist. A really good example of food label abuse is with the "zero calorie" Parkay Spray Butter that I'm sure every on here has used at some time or another. Hate to break it to everyone but a bottle of that stuff has 900 kcals. The listed serving size is so small that it falls under 5kcals which by law allows it to be recognized as calorie free and as such labeled as "0" calories. Not bad, but when the servings per bottle is in the hundreds it adds up quick.

Things can be tricky sometimes especially when adhering to a bodybuilding lifestyle were every calorie counts.
Yep; it's shady. That's like the "0g trans-fat" on the label, but the serving size is so small that if you eat any decent amount, you're taking in trans-fat. Diet sodas aren't as bad (in my opinion) about doing that, but it's still not technically zero (even though as it's been mentioned, burning off the minimal calories that are in it isn't difficult to do just by taking a few extra steps).

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yep; it's shady. That's like the "0g trans-fat" on the label, but the serving size is so small that if you eat any decent amount, you're taking in trans-fat. Diet sodas aren't as bad (in my opinion) about doing that, but it's still not technically zero (even though as it's been mentioned, burning off the minimal calories that are in it isn't difficult to do just by taking a few extra steps).
Agreed

Hyperion

Hyperion

Awards
I'm all for drinking as much as you can handle. I pretty much max out at 3 2-liter bottles A DAY and I have dropped down to 142lbs. So yeah, in my case at least, there is no dietary drawback. Also, I recently had some standard blood-work done (liver, kidneys, red and white blood-cell count etc) and everything came back perfectly normal.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
When im dieting if I want a diet soda ill have a diet soda. Granted this may be a once a week occasion if even that frequent. If your drinking two a day you might wanna cut back. Just be conscious it has a lot of artificial sweetener and a LOT of sodium. Keep it in moderation. I like crystal light during diet too, just mix it with the gallon of water for the day.

I try to stick with water. Some coffee when Id like. And on occasion I want a diet Dr Pepper. Its it gonna kill me or my diet? No.

emekajokammor

emekajokammor

Awards
I tend to do better overall when I just drink water and whatever my supplements may be. I'd rather drink a good flavored BCAA product than a diet soda if I was craving something sweet.
Love it when i have a big gallon of Xtend BCAA in my fridge...

TheProfessor

TheProfessor

Awards
You also have to realize that if it is neglected fungus WILL grow in it. It's the perfect medium. Make sure to wash whatever container it is in well after each consumption.

FYI

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
You also have to realize that if it is neglected fungus WILL grow in it. It's the perfect medium. Make sure to wash whatever container it is in well after each consumption.

FYI
Thats a good trivia question

ianbell121

Awards
i only drink soft drinks... really hard to believe. :fing02:

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i only drink soft drinks... really hard to believe. :fing02:
Just not a fan of water, huh. I think there is more people like you then you probably realize lol.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Davy25 Nutrition / Health 32
brockles Weight Loss 1
Nutrition / Health 28
mister ed Nutrition / Health 43
sf9ersfan8 Weight Loss 42