Food making me go broke

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.
    Answers

Food making me go broke

How do you guys afford 6 meals a day? Im spending over 80 a week on food (not including protein powder). This chicken and tuna is getting expensive lol Any tips on meat that is affodable? Im eating 350g protein/day.
    Suffer now.. and live like a champion later.

2. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bezoe View Post
    How do you guys afford 6 meals a day? Im spending over 80 a week on food (not including protein powder). This chicken and tuna is getting expensive lol Any tips on meat that is affodable? Im eating 350g protein/day.
    80? fack. I spend easily over $200-250.

3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.
    Answers

On just you? theres no way i could afford $1000 a month on just food. Thats 12,000 a year, JC almost a quarter of my income lol

•   

4. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Answers

On just you? theres no way i could afford $1000 a month on just food. Thats 12,000 a year, JC almost a quarter of my income lol
    Yup. Total bill is prob pushing 250-300 with my wife, but she eats like a bird..lol

Doesn't even include my Sat night, dinner out.

My problem is I don't shop around, or for sales. I am stuck on eating what I want.

5. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Chicken thighs, whole eggs, ground beef, and bacon make up the bulk of my protein consumption. It's freaking produce that is so damn expensive.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

6. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.
    Answers

Wow. Yea i know what you mean.. i never look for sales or anything. Im headed to sams club now to see what kind of bulk products they have

7. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Wow. Yea i know what you mean.. i never look for sales or anything. Im headed to sams club now to see what kind of bulk products they have
    I bought a huge box of rice crispy treats, and welches fruit snacks at costco today. Refeed FTW! haha

8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Chicken thighs, whole eggs, ground beef, and bacon make up the bulk of my protein consumption. It's freaking produce that is so damn expensive.
    Youre right.
    Thats pretty close to what eat. Whole eggs, tuna, chicken breasts, and steaks less frequently. Its scary cause im only eating around 3K cals a day now and it will be increasing very soon

9. Enhanced Body Formulations REP
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    U guys have farmers markets?Cheap there?

Or why don't you get a group of friends, bulk buy and freeze or snap seal?
    ...::: EBF REP :::...
    Recompadrol-AAv2-Metabolic Pow(d)er
    THE FUTURE OF LEAN

10. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  202 lbs.
    Answers

^^^ I eat the same stuff! Especially the bacon!

11. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Answers

OH yes! Its good stuff. Oddly in Japan the stuff with fat in it is more expensive... hahah I buy chicken breasts and have extra fats from other sources usually.
    Or just eat the leaner beef... (What I usually tend to do)
    RecoverBro ELITE

12. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  162 lbs.
    Answers

The price of food is mind boggling. I'm pretty good at shopping out deals and sales. After buying the same items for so long you start to know what's a good price and what's not. I buy a lot of things wholesale which saves. I'm around 200g protein daily and vegetables on a 1600-1700cal cut diet so I'm looking at 50 bucks a week before supplementation. Obviously higher quality and organic would run more but I'm ok with frozen string beans and mass produced Perdue chicken. Right now I'm mainly fish and turkey.
    By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, we create it. The nonexistent is whatever we have not sufficiently desired.
    Franz Kafka

13. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Answers

I know what you're sayin man..and god damn I wish I had 12gs to spend on food a year..
    This next month is gonna be rough, my diet will probably consist of mostly eggs..eggs till I puke
    Cultivating Mass.

14. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Yea, kinda amazing on days I don't go over $20 bucks (US equivalent). Well Im usually always cutting... Im a fat a$$
    RecoverBro ELITE

15. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Answers

a bunch of scattered thoughts here....

Buy brown rice...its really cheap and a good source of carbs.

I also buy chicken breast in bulk 2kg+ (4.4pounds) and pay 9.90kg instead of $16 (i dont know what it costs where you live)
    eggs are cheap-

fresh carrots+frozen peas and corn shouldnt set you back too much either.

But i get most of my protien from chicken...i dont bother with steak much anymore unless i want a treat. Its too expensive.

you can also make good protien bars from OATS, Penutbutter, honey and protien powder that are relativly cheap to make and are about 500 cals each.

16. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Why so high on protein? its not particularly necessary even if it is enjoyable.

And sams club should have chicken breasts at 1.88-1.99/lb, so that might help.
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far

17. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post

wow thats cheap!

18. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  199 lbs.
    Answers

I usally average $150 a week only buy meat/fish grains at the store and all my fruit/veggies at local markets by my house sometimes go to local butcher too.(live in the country) Always go for the best deals and shop smart always have stuff to help with the following week.
    Best to get deals and freeze them

19. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mattrag View Post
    Yea, kinda amazing on days I don't go over $20 bucks (US equivalent). Well Im usually always cutting... Im a fat a$$
    LOL same here bro.. well im not a fatass but im never lean lean. Not gonna "bulk" again until i hit around 8%.

Why so high on protein? its not particularly necessary even if it is enjoyable.

Well thats about 1.5 x my lean bodymass. In a slight caloric deficit doing cardio everyday and no anti-catabolic agents (AAS), I figured i should eat at least that much.

Thanks Easy im gonna head over there now.. tried last night but the damn place closes at 830

20. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Sam's is the shizit, I buy all my food there! Everything from greek yogurt to beef, shrimp, steak. What other college student do you know that lives in an efficiency and has a damn 5 cubic foot freezer in his room! Haha idc it's all about improvement and I'll sacrifice some living space for my precious freezer. With that being said food is expensive, I eat super clean and it still runs me 80-100$ every 8 days or so. Depends on if I get cheap round steak, london broil or hit up some ground sirloin

21. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Well thats about 1.5 x my lean bodymass. In a slight caloric deficit doing cardio everyday and no anti-catabolic agents (AAS), I figured i should eat at least that much.
    yeah, I just still haven't seen any documentation of needing more than .6 - .8g/lb to maintain mass, whether in endurance or strength athletes I tend to eat more than that just for enjoyment, but i'm not terribly anal so long as I get somewhere over 150g
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far

22. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.
    Answers

yeah, I just still haven't seen any documentation of needing more than .6 - .8g/lb to maintain mass, whether in endurance or strength athletes I tend to eat more than that just for enjoyment, but i'm not terribly anal so long as I get somewhere over 150g
    thats interesting. Im always eager to know what studies show. The only thing im worried about is if I decrease cals from protein ill have to increase carb intake to make up for it. But... I guess if im consuming too much protein now its only getting converted to carbohydrates anyway.

So i just got back from sams club. The frozen chicken was $10 for a giant bag with probably 15 or 20 huge breasts. I also bought enough oats for the rest of the month. Ill def be shopping for bulk products next paycheck.

PS their protein wasnt too expensive either. $30 for a 5 pound bag of 1400g of whey.

23. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

actually when I shifted down on protein, I added more nuts + healthy fats instead, which not only was healthy, but yummy
    This space for rent

24. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

heres one, at 1.4g/kg/day strength athletes maintained

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1474076

1.8g/kg for endurance athletes maintained

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16546481

a sort of meta-table from a doctor evaluating studies
    Table 1. Caloric and Protein Intake Guidelines

Activity Level

Caloric Intake

Protein Intake

General Activity

25 -35 kcals/kg/day

0.8 – 1.0 g/kg/day

Strength Training Athletes

50 – 80 kcals/kg/day

1.4 – 1.8+ g/kg/day

Endurance Athletes

150 – 200 kcals/kg/day

1.2 – 1.4 g/kg/day

have yet to find a study that there was negative body comp change at anything above .6-.8g/lb. its a little rough, as in the studies above you can see they went .8g/kg, 1.6g/kg, 2.4g/kg which is basically RDA, 2x RDA, 3x RDA and nobody has bothered so far to try and narrow it down closer.
    This space for rent

25. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.
    Answers

Thats interesting. May taper down and see how my body comp and strength/recovery reacts.

26. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Answers

It's often cheaper to shop for deals on produce at stores than it is to buy it at Sam's. Most of my staples at Sam's aren't produce, with the exception of spinach or that spring salad mix, sugar snaps, and avocados. Peppers used to be good until they started selling the world's smallest peppers at the same price, and often times I find fruit like blueberries and grapes for better prices elsewhere. Sausage, eggs, and oatmeal are often the cheapest at Sam's, though; their salmon is also very c heap - 3lbs for 23-24.

27. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Answers

i say i spend about 350-500 a month on food for my training and for my kids and wife,
    i think the fruits is the one thats killing me, other than that i buy in bulk costco!!!!

28. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Quite honestly I've been playing around with the idea of only eating healthy fats and drinking bcaas recently.
    Might not actually be cheaper though lol.
    RecoverBro ELITE

29. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Answers

yes add in ALOT of peatnutbutter 1tbs -100cal 4tbs in a protien drink is 400cal just the peanutbutter then say 2 scoops of whey is abouy another 300cal now you have 700cal for cheaper.
    peanutbutter and BREAD sandwich CHEAP and FULL ofcalories PACK on the peanutbutter
    also BANANAS! their CHEAP and good for you.
    oatmeal by the bulk i also good.
    LG Sciences Board Rep
    These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, do not constitute medical advice, and are not official or authorized comments by LG Sciences, LLC.

30. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mattrag View Post
    Quite honestly I've been playing around with the idea of only eating healthy fats and drinking bcaas recently.
    Might not actually be cheaper though lol.
    I wouldent do that with whey protein yes maybe
    LG Sciences Board Rep
    These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, do not constitute medical advice, and are not official or authorized comments by LG Sciences, LLC.

31. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Answers

ohh also OLIVE OIL i ad dit to almost all my shakes, like1-3oz per drink.
    LG Sciences Board Rep

32. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  162 lbs.
    Answers

I found when I do higher fats and mod protein I start cutting costs. Why is it carbs, the lesser part of my diet, have to be the cheapest? Oh, were forgetting vegetables. I eat a lot of those and they vary from 1.50-4 bucks per pound.
    By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, we create it. The nonexistent is whatever we have not sufficiently desired.
    Franz Kafka

33. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by OrganicShadow View Post
    I found when I do higher fats and mod protein I start cutting costs. Why is it carbs, the lesser part of my diet, have to be the cheapest? Oh, were forgetting vegetables. I eat a lot of those and they vary from 1.50-4 bucks per pound.
    Exactly. carbs are dirt cheap.. its the damn meat and whey thats killing me. I think this frozen chicken from sams will save me some money

34. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  162 lbs.
    Answers

I don't wanna go on an antigovernment rant but there is politics involved. We do overproduce grain and badger Americans to eat more gain that necessary to keep costs as is. It's supply and demand and dry grain is waaaay cheaper to transport than something like fresh fruit. And a ten cent raise on cinnamon toast crunch could mean a whole population of African people not being able to afford food. Oh, and if we ever did move to ethanol from corn as a biofuel forget it- pop tarts would cost 20 bucks

35. New Member
    Answers

Pallets off eggs! I go thro 5 dozen a week not including other sources I get

36. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  197 lbs.
    Answers

Hmm -- Do you guys have Trader Joe's in your area? I'm able to keep it down to about $35 per week.

Here's my normal TJ's shopping list:

1 or 2 bags of pre-washed arugula
    2 red bell peppers
    1 red onion
    1 bag organic baby carrots
    1 package grape tomatoes
    1 bunch of bananas
    1 package pulled chicken breast (good for two meals)
    1 bottle fat free balsamic (lasts a month)
    3 cans of white fin tuna in olive oil
    2 containers of pasteurized egg whites
    2 containers (32 oz) fat free cottage cheese
    2 containers (32 oz) fat free greek yogurt
    1 package fat free english muffins
    1 package feta cheese crumbles (lasts about two weeks)
    1 package (16 oz) raw almonds (last a few weeks)

Believe it or not that all adds up to about $35 to $40. I also buy some items in bulk from Costco, mostly Adams peanut butter, frozen chicken breasts, plain oats, and frozen turkey patties.

With all of that, I'm able to keep my food costs pretty low (supplement costs are another story), and take in about 230 to 250 g of protein per day mostly from whole foods. It only starts adding up if I eat out.

37. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Answers

man if i only had a trader joes in my area...
    RecoverBro ELITE

38. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  162 lbs.
    Answers

I wish I had trader joes. All I get is stop and shop, fries chicken Chinese restaurants and liquor stores. Damn urban NJ.
    Franz Kafka

39. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  197 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by OrganicShadow View Post
    I wish I had trader joes. All I get is stop and shop, fries chicken Chinese restaurants and liquor stores. Damn urban NJ.
    Maybe there is one closer than you think? Looks like you're kind of surrounded by them: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Trader...8&vpsrc=0&z=10

40. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  162 lbs.
    Answers

Theyre all in Manhattan. Granted I work in the upper east side but I'm not tryin to cart my groceries on the bus. I appreciate the thought though
    Franz Kafka

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 44
    Last Post: 04-07-2013, 11:02 PM
  2. broke yet?
    By madds87 in forum Politics
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 04-02-2010, 11:02 PM
  3. Marijuana,metabolize food, just like alcohol and food?
    By socal101 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-22-2008, 05:36 PM
  4. Why I'm broke..............
    By Vitruvian in forum Supplements
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 06-26-2007, 09:57 AM
  5. I've finally broke down...
    By tattoopierced1 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-21-2005, 01:51 PM