1. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.49%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting Pro

official overtraining thread!

The idea behind this thread is to first off share my story with everyone, and to educate and discuss a highly debated topic in bodybuilding and its crippling effects on the body (in my case). I got the idea from Kleens great IF discussion log The Lean Gains / IF learning and Discussion Log and also a great thread about thyroid issues which also can be tied into my story The Official Hypothyroidism Thread.

Well, here it goes.............. In high school I was an all star running back, and our basketball team won 4 straiht secitonal titles. I was a great athlete (not to toot my horn lol) bout 5'9 and I couldl dunk, ran a 4.4, was recuited to play at one of the best D3 schools in the area, but decided to stay at home and go to D1 University at Buffalo where I woudl've had to walk on and I chose not to (horrible decision). Well....to compensate for all teh sports I wasn't playing anymore I started to work out liek crazy. My usual 1-1.5 hour wiehgt work outs turned into 3.5 hour marathon sessions where my "rests" in between sets eentually beame running on the treadmill. every week I would be getting weaker and weaker and jsut didn't stop.......literally obsessed with exercise. Well, eventually i ended up in the hospital at 110 lbs with failing kidneys and a resting heart rate of 35. I spent 3 weeks in the hospital and took it was for a while.

I started lifting again but still never really put on any weight, never felt right, had no sex drive, and was very depressed, and always fatigued.
    After asking to ge my tetosterone checked jsut because being very into lifitng i just wondered what it was, not thinkinking that it would be low. Well......it came back EXTREMELY low.....42 to be exact. Longer story short, I went to see an endo and was immediately put on androgel. Took androgel for a few months before I read about other ways to maybe "restart" my body. I contacted Dr. Matrix who is on this board and is a great Doc. He looks for the root cause of your problem. Well he ran numerous tests on me and I came to find out I have even more issues than origianlly thought. I have an extremely underactive thyroid, no testosterone, and major gut issues ( i am absorbing barely any of my nutrients) so nomatter what I eat or how much I may only be absorbing a third of it, so looing at my bloodwork its like im undernourished and not eating. and I wondered why i couldn't put on any muscle.

Well I have been insructed to take 6 weeks completely off from activity and hope that this helps to regulate my body. It is going to be very hard but I hope and pray that I can get back to where I once was in high school.

The point of his thread is to let people know my story, ecasue of my extreme raining I have lost years from training and may have messed up the rest of my life......... Ijsut don't want to see this happen to others. I have read otehr threads of people who say tehy have the same symptoms I had and seem to be working out way too much and I woudl hate fos oemone to loose years of training and maybe mess up the rest of my life the way I did.......

2. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.88%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Damn man that's horrible.. Do you think it could of been a result of insufficient calories when you were training so hard? Hope those 6 weeks fixes you up it should do you a TON of good. Makes me appreciate what I've got and don't take it for granted, Good to see people on this board are helpful and supportive. Don't sweat it though man you'll be better than ever after some good well needed time off!
    I hope everybody thinks i'm crazy, because you cannot be a sane person and go through the type of pain i am willing to put myself through to be where i want to be, Once I completely win the war between my mind and body, my reign will begin. ~Me
  3. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.49%

yea....def. not enough calories, its cuz in my head I thought I jsut ahd to make up for all the practice time I was missing, i mena i MIGHT have had 1800 alories a day, and I was EXTREMELY active to say the least.......so becareful with ur high volume haha, but ur eatin so its different, and it sux cuz now that ive realized the problem over the last 2 years and been eatin my ass off, I still wasnt absorbing so it was doing me no good, i jsut hope we can fiure out exactly why im not absorbing my food and then all my hormones and everyhign wil be back to normal nd I can get back to where i was.................. a long way to go, but i am more dedicated to this stuff and love it more than anyone I know so it is just a mattter of time
    •   

4. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.88%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by mkretz View Post
    yea....def. not enough calories, its cuz in my head I thought I jsut ahd to make up for all the practice time I was missing, i mena i MIGHT have had 1800 alories a day, and I was EXTREMELY active to say the least.......so becareful with ur high volume haha, but ur eatin so its different, and it sux cuz now that ive realized the problem over the last 2 years and been eatin my ass off, I still wasnt absorbing so it was doing me no good, i jsut hope we can fiure out exactly why im not absorbing my food and then all my hormones and everyhign wil be back to normal nd I can get back to where i was.................. a long way to go, but i am more dedicated to this stuff and love it more than anyone I know so it is just a mattter of time
    That's the right attitude to have man never give up no matter what. As long as you stay determined you'll get there and beyond without ever realizing it.
    I hope everybody thinks i'm crazy, because you cannot be a sane person and go through the type of pain i am willing to put myself through to be where i want to be, Once I completely win the war between my mind and body, my reign will begin. ~Me
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  199 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.42%

I know exactly what you went/going though did it myself and also went to matrix.Same thing low t-level and thyroid.
    Working out still but doing it way better with de-loads better nutrition ect..Rest is all you can do now and start back up SLOW or it'll happen again.
    We have all of our life to work out (i need to remember this too!)can't do it all at once.Or we'll all be seeing matrix.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  182 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.82%

Good story man.
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.66%

Have hope, man and stay in there!
  8. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.49%

Quote Originally Posted by tubbednova View Post
    I know exactly what you went/going though did it myself and also went to matrix.Same thing low t-level and thyroid.
    Working out still but doing it way better with de-loads better nutrition ect..Rest is all you can do now and start back up SLOW or it'll happen again.
    We have all of our life to work out (i need to remember this too!)can't do it all at once.Or we'll all be seeing matrix.

how long has it been for u? are back to lifting heavy? how r u feeling now?

Similar Forum Threads

1. Official boxmeman thread
    By ReaperX in forum General Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-31-2008, 05:47 PM
  2. Official LOLCAT Thread
    By CryingEmo in forum General Chat
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-18-2008, 08:40 PM
  3. The Official What's On Your Ctrl+V Thread!
    By Cellardude in forum General Chat
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 10-21-2007, 10:47 PM
  4. Official NFL Football Thread
    By jweave23 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 143
    Last Post: 01-19-2004, 04:15 PM