Two week juice fast

1. Registered User

Two week juice fast

Ok, so I have just started a fast where I will be eating or drinking nothing other than organic fruit and vegetable juices for two weeks. I got the idea after watching the documentary "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" which I would HIGHLY recommend to anyone who hasn't seen it...it's free on netflix. I have also talked to some people that have tried this and swear by it, claiming that it made them feel absolutely great after they were finished.

My major goal with this is not to lose weight, although that will obviously be a by-product. I have had numerous issues with adrenal problems, estrogen levels, T levels and cortisol levels in the past and I am attempting to do a bit of a cleanse. I just want to "feel" better. My plan is to have 4 approximately 400 calorie juices per day, with a 5th allowed if I am feeling starving. I am not stopping exercise, but will do a moderate level of intensity over fewer days while I am on this.

I will let you know how it goes...if I feel a huge difference the plan will be to do two 10 day fasts a year and hopefully get bloodwork done before and after on one of them so I can compare things like cholesterol, cortisol, e2, test, blood sugar levels, etc. If anyone has had any experience with something like this, I would love to hear about it. Other than that, just looking forward to jotting down how I feel each day....

2. Registered User

Great doc! Good luck!
  3. Registered User

I hate going two weeks without teh juice
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  197 lbs.

Hmm -- well I can tell you I feel great already with my normal diet. I'm skeptical of "cleanses" generally, and especially skeptical about surviving off of fruit juices, which IMO are one of the worst things you can put in your body. Sugar loaded liquids that are robbed of fiber and nutrients? Sounds like the opposite of what I want to put into my body. But heck, I am not one to judge. I will be curious to see how this goes, especially in light of the fact that you are getting the bloodwork done.

Best of luck!
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  202 lbs.

I thought about doing something like this after watching that documentary, BUT, I was going to add whey protein in with it. I can't imagine not having protein in my diet and the thought of losing hard earned muscle mass is a no-go in my book..
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

If you are consuming a healthy diet rich in fibrous fruits and vegetables and low in refined or processed foods than cleanse will do you absolutely no good. If, on the other hand, you eat like sh*, then it may have some impact. Then again, so would changing your diet and maintaining a healthy diet year round.

Be careful with consuming too much citrus juices, however, as they are high in proline betaine and will cause an excretion of glycine betaine. This in conjunction with a juice fast will lead to reduced choline and increased homocysteine which may result in higher lipids following the fast. Might want to swap a lot of the citrus juices with beet and (home made) vegetable juices.

Br
  7. Registered User

A bit of advice...use a blender, not a juicer. Juicers don't give you any fiber, which helps prevent insulin spikes when you're consuming large amounts of fructose (the sugar in fruit).

Not only will you feel fuller, it will help clean out your large intestine.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  202 lbs.

Honestly this was a very inspiring movie. Has some great ideology. Netflix has brought a lot of really good documentaries to my TV I haven't thought of watching before.

I would probably recommend this diet to any of my clients looking to "reset" themselves after years(decades) of diet abuse.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.

We've had a lot of really good results with some clients here that have undergone the fast, including my wife. No one pushed it further than 10 days, on my advice. They wanted to continue exercising, so I advised them not to go too long without protein. 10 days seemed to be the limit as to how long one could go without protein and still perform heavy resistance training. Lots of weight was lost, but more importantly, they were able to "jump-start" themselves into a more healthy mode of eating. Several clients who had suffered from frequent migraines, are no longer having to deal with that after having completed the fast. Some others, who were dealing with various other digestive maladies are free from these after the fast.

My take on this is that it works. There's nothing like going back to nature and letting the body do what it does best: heal itself. When you come out of this, you will definitely have a better overall feeling of wellness.

Good luck and keep us posted!

The Rhino
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  197 lbs.

Out of curiosity I watched this movie. Although I admire the intentions of two men that were mainly featured in the movie (Joe and Phil), the movie represents everything, in my mind, that is wrong with the average public's perception of nutrition. The movie is just another quick fix gimmick (do a juice fast, lose 50 lbs!) for the public to latch on to. Throughout the whole movie there was no discussion of WHY either of men were losing weight. The reality is, lo and behold, that they were living at a severe caloric deficit and thus lost weight. Certainly later in the movie Joe discusses that the long term goal is living a balanced lifestyle, but there is never any indication that either of them grasp the exact mechanisms that are leading to their weight loss. The only person in the movie who said some pretty realistic points was Dr. Furhman, who obviously knew what he was talking about.

Overall, it's great that they both lost so much weight, but it is dangerous to lead the public to believe that weight loss can be accomplished by a magic pill, or in this case a magic smoothie.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by owlicks View Post
    Out of curiosity I watched this movie. Although I admire the intentions of two men that were mainly featured in the movie (Joe and Phil), the movie represents everything, in my mind, that is wrong with the average public's perception of nutrition. The movie is just another quick fix gimmick (do a juice fast, lose 50 lbs!) for the public to latch on to. Throughout the whole movie there was no discussion of WHY either of men were losing weight. The reality is, lo and behold, that they were living at a severe caloric deficit and thus lost weight. Certainly later in the movie Joe discusses that the long term goal is living a balanced lifestyle, but there is never any indication that either of them grasp the exact mechanisms that are leading to their weight loss. The only person in the movie who said some pretty realistic points was Dr. Furhman, who obviously knew what he was talking about.

Overall, it's great that they both lost so much weight, but it is dangerous to lead the public to believe that weight loss can be accomplished by a magic pill, or in this case a magic smoothie.
    Mostly, I agree. We do not advocate "quick weight-loss" by ANY means here. This is the reason why I recommend to my clients who are interested in undertaking the fast to not do it too long. I would not EVER agree to anyone doing this for 30-60 days for exactly the reasons you described. The idea here would be to get them interested in eating healthy, not necessarily quick weight-loss. If we have to go to this extreme for a few days to get them to kick junk and fast food, then it accomplishes the task. Most who did the fast in my studio made a long weekend out of it. I was perfectly happy with them doing that.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by owlicks View Post

I have to agree. Something so drastic of a change can't be all the healthy for each individual person. Going from big macs to spinach juice won't last forever. I'd liked to have seen something a little more realistic.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  197 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by RhinoJoe View Post
    Mostly, I agree. We do not advocate "quick weight-loss" by ANY means here. This is the reason why I recommend to my clients who are interested in undertaking the fast to not do it too long. I would not EVER agree to anyone doing this for 30-60 days for exactly the reasons you described. The idea here would be to get them interested in eating healthy, not necessarily quick weight-loss. If we have to go to this extreme for a few days to get them to kick junk and fast food, then it accomplishes the task. Most who did the fast in my studio made a long weekend out of it. I was perfectly happy with them doing that.
    That is a good point. I suppose from a personal training standpoint, if you have a client that is used to being inactive and eating complete crap, it's a bit hard to throw him/her full bore into a very specific diet and calorie counting. I can see how, even though I don't think it's very healthy, the juice diet could be a good stop gap measure to transition into a different diet b/c it'd allow the client to see some quick results without having to think too much about anything.
  14. Registered User

Ok so I have finished the fast..I did about 12 days. Surprisingly I only lost 6 pounds but maybe that's a good thing. The one thing I will say is that I have never slept better in my life and I was always full of energy after the first four days or so..also my erection quality was awesome on this.. Juicing kale and beets is probably awesome for that..I still recommend a try for anyone interested
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Kale and beets are a great source of natural nitrate (among other things) - which the body converts into nitric oxide (unlike most NO supplements). The additional NO will increase vasodilation and improve erections.
  16. Registered User

Very useful thread and information, i should try this
    two week juice, hope i will get better result... thanks for sharing this info with us....
    Barryy
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-16-2009, 08:38 PM
  2. Pleasantly Suprised (another Epistane review week by week)
    By TrainrNTexas3 in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-04-2009, 06:20 PM
  3. My 5 week Fast Action H-Drol Cycle
    By mattakaspeeed in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-27-2008, 12:50 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-08-2005, 10:30 PM