Cholesterol

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
Quick question from my phone so I'm sorry it's in lamens terms. Both my bad and good cholesterol are low according to todays labs. What's a good way to raise my good cholesterol?

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
ive read that exrcise is supposed to raise HDL.....soooo exercise lol

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
Haha never thought It would resort to such desperate measures! I may give it a try.

JayDee6

JayDee6

Awards
Lots and lots of strawberries, grapes, blueberries, blackberries, etc. Lots of green leafy veggies as well as other veggies of your choice. Get more fiber in your diet via whole grains and get yourself some metamucil and use it 2 to 3x per day. Stay hydrated, train with weights 3 to 4 days per week and do cardio 3 to 4 days per week as well. 10g of omega-3 does wonders supplement-wise, as well as policosanol(contains lovastatin) or 1200mg per day of red yeast rice.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for that! Today I re started cycle support @ 1 scoop a day. I did this for a while but stopped a bit back. I also have a slightly elevated ALT (lots of excuses to drink during the summer...) I will have bloods drawn again in a few weeks I am curious to see how effective it is. I will cut back on the booze a bit I am not a Crazy drinker but enjoy life and bachelor parties, pre season foot ball, ect. ( I honestly am not a big drinker at all. Anymore. College I played rugby and drank a lot, but that was close to 2 years ago) I may go out 2 times a month buy it seems lately that number has been higher...

I also started an ArA run not long ago ( thanks GQnemesis for the auction) I know that should go in the supplement section. I am not sure
If it would have an effect positive or negative.

I will up my bluberry amount and fiber in general. I run 4 miles approx 3 times a week and train 3-5 days a week depending on work and how my body feels. I am eating a good amount of oats or brown rice daily. I also will reduce my red meat and replace it with more chicken. I eat so much chicken everyday sometimes I need to have a steak though.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
red wine will help as well.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lots and lots of strawberries, grapes, blueberries, blackberries, etc. Lots of green leafy veggies as well as other veggies of your choice. Get more fiber in your diet via whole grains and get yourself some metamucil and use it 2 to 3x per day. Stay hydrated, train with weights 3 to 4 days per week and do cardio 3 to 4 days per week as well. 10g of omega-3 does wonders supplement-wise, as well as policosanol(contains lovastatin) or 1200mg per day of red yeast rice.
I'm not sure how the berries would help, would like to hear that.

Definitely Omega 3s, whether through supplements or eating more salmon. And not quite exercise, but specifically cardio helps raise HDL.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
Easy thank you! I eat blue berries every day. I love them. I do a moderate amount of cardio. ( approx 4 mile runs at night 3 times a week) I will continue to do so. I don't want to get crazy with fish oil due to starting XFA about a week ago but I do supplement fish oil daily. I always appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

Reps when I get to a computer for everyone who's helped. No option to rep on tapatalk.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
I also eat about 1-1.5 cups of almonds ( roasted and unsalted ) daily.

JayDee6

JayDee6

Awards
Anthocyanins in berries have been shown to raise hdl and lower ldl.
http://www.ajcn.org/content/early/2009/07/29/ajcn.2009.27814.abstract

You may also want to look into Niacin. Several studies done on it show good results with both hdl, ldl and triglyceride levels.
Thanks prld, you saved me the time haha. They are also fibrous fruits, and we all know that fiber helps to lower cholesterol. I 2nd the niacin, but just make sure to get regular niacin, NOT flush-free niacin. It does not have the same affect.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
I also eat about 1-1.5 cups of almonds ( roasted and unsalted ) daily.
ALT was 51. I'll see if I can look the rest up. He just told me "good cholesterol and bad cholesterol is low..." he also told me to stop eating animal protein and switch to plant... I don't plan on making another appointment with him.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks prld, you saved me the time haha. They are also fibrous fruits, and we all know that fiber helps to lower cholesterol. I 2nd the niacin, but just make sure to get regular niacin, NOT flush-free niacin. It does not have the same affect.
Yep, nicotinic acid is best. Make sure it says that on the back of the label.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
ALT was 51. I'll see if I can look the rest up. He just told me "good cholesterol and bad cholesterol is low..." he also told me to stop eating animal protein and switch to plant... I don't plan on making another appointment with him.
I just posted in the exercise science section that the link between meat consumption (specifically animal fat) and negative cholesterol effects is very very weakly established. Cholesterol is predominantly regulated by the liver, and the amount of cholesterol you consume has little to do with levels of lipoproteins in the blood.

Br

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just posted in the exercise science section that the link between meat consumption (specifically animal fat) and negative cholesterol effects is very very weakly established. Cholesterol is predominantly regulated by the liver, and the amount of cholesterol you consume has little to do with levels of lipoproteins in the blood.

Br