LeanGains results after 1 month. Looking great, but strength suffering. HELP!

JoshDP

Awards
So it's been a month or so since I've been on LeanGains. I started at around 221 lbs. This morning I weighed in at about 204 lbs.
My energy has been good. People keep commenting on how good I look. So no complaints there.

Problem has been my strength has been going down. This morning I was supposed to squat 360 x 3 or more reps... barely got 1 rep and had to rack it. Waited a few minutes to try again. Same result.
Shouldn't be having any problems with 360 lbs! Should have at least gotten this for 5-6 reps.

Last week my bench sucked too. Was going for 280 x 5. Got 3. My spotter sucked (public gym), and claims I got 5 on my own, but there was no way.

2 weeks ago could barely even deadlift 405 for a rep.

Anyways, you get the point. Numbers are going down, and I'm not happy about it and looking for some advice. I like the way I'm looking though so don't want to stop with the IF.

Few details on my eating and training:

-Eating from 2pm - 10pm
-Training fasted at around 12pm - 1:30pm. Just have some BCAA's before. Sometimes after as well depending on the length of my workout.
-Training days my calories are at 3390. Rest days 2160. I also do fasted cardio on rest days for 45-60 mins.
-Training days my protein is at around 250 - 300 g. Carbs are at around 250 - 300 g. Fat is at around 100 - 120 g. Rest days the same except for carbs that are kept at basically whatever I happen to get in from my main foods, so usually ends up at around 50 -70 grams.
-Training program is 5/3/1. Strength train 4 days a week, so main 5/3/1 lift plus about 4 other assistance exercises. Assistance exercises usually 3-4 sets at 8-10 reps.

Other than that, don't know what other info to give.

I keep hearing about people on LeanGains losing tons of BF, but keeping and even increasing their strength. I want in on that too!

Thanks

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You lost 17lbs in 1 month and are wondering why your strength is suffering?

It will come back, but you cant expect to keep all your strength with that kind of weight loss IMO.

I would add calories to slow down weight loss.

OR

Keep going, deal with the loss until you get to desired BF, then increase calories, and focus on gaining strength/size back, while keeping BF in check.

JoshDP

Awards
Yes, but as I stated on a different thread a few weeks ago, after first 2 days of really watching my macros (1 day of 3400 calories, 1 day of 2150 calories), I went from 221 lbs to 208 lbs. This was obviously a lot of water weight and very little fat.

If most of that lost weight was water, should I still be losing that much strength?

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
Im not really an expert on Lean Gains haven't read up to much on it but speaking from my mindset and personal experience theres a couple ways to lose weight, one is you lose weight fast but this way also hurts your strength (what your experiencing) by focusing more on losing weight your bound to lose some strength and muscle. Then theres a way where you lose weight at a slower pace but can actually maintain and build strength its kinda what im doing right now over the summer ive lost 14 pounds over the course of 3 months which comes out to a little over a pound a week and over the time ive managed to improve my strength quite well. I think personally adjust your cals a bit or cardio im not an expert on lean gains but id eat a bit more which usually helps atleast for me to keep my strength while cutting.

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
So it's been a month or so since I've been on LeanGains. I started at around 221 lbs. This morning I weighed in at about 204 lbs.
My energy has been good. People keep commenting on how good I look. So no complaints there.

Problem has been my strength has been going down. This morning I was supposed to squat 360 x 3 or more reps... barely got 1 rep and had to rack it. Waited a few minutes to try again. Same result.
Shouldn't be having any problems with 360 lbs! Should have at least gotten this for 5-6 reps.

Last week my bench sucked too. Was going for 280 x 5. Got 3. My spotter sucked (public gym), and claims I got 5 on my own, but there was no way.

2 weeks ago could barely even deadlift 405 for a rep.

Anyways, you get the point. Numbers are going down, and I'm not happy about it and looking for some advice. I like the way I'm looking though so don't want to stop with the IF.

Few details on my eating and training:

-Eating from 2pm - 10pm
-Training fasted at around 12pm - 1:30pm. Just have some BCAA's before. Sometimes after as well depending on the length of my workout.
-Training days my calories are at 3390. Rest days 2160. I also do fasted cardio on rest days for 45-60 mins.
-Training days my protein is at around 250 - 300 g. Carbs are at around 250 - 300 g. Fat is at around 100 - 120 g. Rest days the same except for carbs that are kept at basically whatever I happen to get in from my main foods, so usually ends up at around 50 -70 grams.
-Training program is 5/3/1. Strength train 4 days a week, so main 5/3/1 lift plus about 4 other assistance exercises. Assistance exercises usually 3-4 sets at 8-10 reps.

Other than that, don't know what other info to give.

I keep hearing about people on LeanGains losing tons of BF, but keeping and even increasing their strength. I want in on that too!

Thanks
First off, i am not on lean gains BUT...
I wouldn't be extremely worried about it but maybe you need more calories? That's what it was for me and once i bumped them up BAM Pr city again! That's the one thing i couldn't handle about lower calories though i NEED to get stronger every workout so when i don't i feel like i'm wasting my time i just can't handle it. The trick is to find the perfect amount of calories: Enough to make strength gains while continuing to lose fat. In my log I've finally found that median but you have to experiment with it until you find that sweet spot. Hope this helps you out! I know it did for me!

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/177205-thetinyguys-all-out.html

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes, but as I stated on a different thread a few weeks ago, after first 2 days of really watching my macros (1 day of 3400 calories, 1 day of 2150 calories), I went from 221 lbs to 208 lbs. This was obviously a lot of water weight and very little fat.

If most of that lost weight was water, should I still be losing that much strength?
yes, maybe the 2 or 3 pounds was mostly water, however 17lbs isn't mostly water. You are looking at an average of 4lbs a week lost there. Either bump your calories up, or continue till you are happy with leanness then bump them up. I'm really not sure how you can say you are watching macros closely, and are 20% over training days and 20% under, and have lost that much weight.

I'm leaning towards you being mistaken as to your maintenance calories.

JoshDP

Awards
Have my maintenance calories set at 3080.
+10% on training days = 3388
-30% on rest days = 2156

Been entering EVERYTHING I eat into fitday.com. Literally have not missed a day. I'm never exact on my calories for the day, but never been under once. If anything I usually aim to go a bit over.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
But if you are losing that much, then obviously 3080 isn't your maintenance calories, if anything your maintenance is closer to 4000

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
But if you are losing that much, then obviously 3080 isn't your maintenance calories, if anything your maintenance is closer to 4000
I agree, you definitely need more calories. I was eating up to 4400 calories on my diet and still losing fat so it just goes to show you those calculators are just to give you an idea of where your at!

JoshDP

Awards
ahh, ok. I understand.

I guess I'll bump up my calories then. Problem is I like the way I'm looking. But I'll add the calories, see how I react to it and go from there.

Thanks!

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
ahh, ok. I understand.

I guess I'll bump up my calories then. Problem is I like the way I'm looking. But I'll add the calories, see how I react to it and go from there.

Thanks!
There you go, just increase them like 300-500/week at a time and as soon as you see strength gain stay there.

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
another option is to ad an hour of eating... or start eating earlier around 11... and stop at 7-8.. that way you have some food in you BEFORE you workout....

theres no right or wrong way to do things... id reccomend just finding a healthy balance between what leangains promotes, and what whats easiest for you... about the only thing i follow from leangains is the period of time i am fasted... and that varies from day to day- btw... i am down from 218 to 204... most of that came from cutting gluten tho....

see how u lift with and without food, are you stronger when you have some food? i know i am... but i lose bf faster when im fasted and i do more volume work... so i vary it based on that

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Have my maintenance calories set at 3080.
+10% on training days = 3388
-30% on rest days = 2156

Been entering EVERYTHING I eat into fitday.com. Literally have not missed a day. I'm never exact on my calories for the day, but never been under once. If anything I usually aim to go a bit over.
ahh, ok. I understand.

Thanks!
Just bump up to the recommended +20%/-20%, or cut that 30% deficit.

Well lets assume you train 3 days a week. At 10%/-30% you are:

3390 x 3 = 10,170
2160 x 4 = 8,640
--------------------

At 20%/20% you would be:
3696 x 3 = 11,088
2464 x 4 = 9,856
--------------------

Additionally do you do any refeeds?