leangains - help with the macros - AnabolicMinds.com

leangains - help with the macros

1. New Member

leangains - help with the macros

I posted this in the discussion log but it got lost in between posts, so im making this a thread. just need some critique on my setup from experienced guys

to start, I am 6'1", 200 lbs, and ~12-13% bodyfat
    I have my maintenance set at 3000 cals, and trying to do maintenance on lifting days (3 days of DC style training) and -20% on non-training days (also will throw in 30min low intensity cardio on most non-training days prior to breaking the fast)

heres my current macro breakdown:

Training days (high carb / low fat)
    o Cal Target: 3000 cal
    o Protein: 250 g / 1000 cal
    o Carbs: 320g / 1280 cal
    o Fat: 80g / 720 cal
    Rest days (low carb / high fat)
    o Cal Target: 2400 cal
    o Protein: 240g / 960 cal
    o Carbs: 30g / 120 cal
    o Fat: 145g / 1305 cal

my priority is to drop fat, so I wanted to know if you guys think my carbs and fats are at the right amounts on both days? if you had to change up anything, what would you change?

2. New Member

I am also looking to drop fat and was suggested to keep my lifting day macros at +10% (over maintenance), and on non-lifting days -30% (below maintenance).
  3. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

It is hard to say, because none of us know how you respond to carbs, etc.

It doesn't seem like a bad starting point that you can tweak based on your individual results. There is really a lot of options.
    •   

4. New Member

i would say my body does not respond to carbs well at all in terms of cutting. the only way ive been able to cut in the past has been through a cyclical keto diet, so lower carbs are better for me.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.

If you do not respond well to carbs, then this does seem like a good plan. I would just try to keep the carb dense meals closer your workouts...you probably already know that, though...
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  206 lbs.

I would probably bump your protein up a bit and carbs down on training days for fat loss. I'm about the same size as you and doing 100g of fat, 200g carbs, 275-300 g protein on training days.
  7. Pro Virili Parte

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

give it a try and see. Try it and adjust as you go

You can prolly get away with a bigger calorie deficit on rest days
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    give it a try and see. You can prolly get with a bigger calorie deficit on rest days
    I would agree with this. I would take them rest days under 2k. Those are the days that burn fat, and creating a larger redecorating those days will help you a lot if cutting is your primary focus without hurting anything.
    Recoverbro Elite
    "This is what we've been working on"
  9. New Member

diets not working with current setup. i feel need to really take the cals down on offdays and keep carbs at 200g for training days. only problem is getting 250 to 300g of protein is not cheap or easy to swallow. anyone have ideas as to get more protein dense meals without having to eat nearly 2 lbs of meat everyday?
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by jack3dbear View Post
    diets not working with current setup. i feel need to really take the cals down on offdays and keep carbs at 200g for training days. only problem is getting 250 to 300g of protein is not cheap or easy to swallow. anyone have ideas as to get more protein dense meals without having to eat nearly 2 lbs of meat everyday?
    cottage cheese is good as well as a protein shake throughout the day between meals or instead of meat.
  11. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by jack3dbear View Post

Try putting in some high protein grains such as buckwheat (mix with lentils to make complete protein) and quinoa. I do a buckwheat (.5cup)/Lentil(.25cup)/Quinoa(.25cup) Pilaf and right there you have way over 100 carbs and more than 30 grams of quality protein. Not to mention you are getting a ton of vitamins, minerals, and more thna enough fiber. Plus its alkaline of all three will help offset those all that animal protein. I soak it the night before and it takes 10 minutes to cook up. Also try to use some Protein powders, with pea being my favorite next to hemp and rice and whey. Sprouted wheat breads have sufficient protein and so do oats. Ive got my daily protein at 225 and im only consuming 8oz of turkey breast tenders a day. Add to that 12 egg whites, hemp/pea/rice protein, cottage cheese, and protein from grains and im at 225. BTW, I love LEANGAINS and IF'ing. Went from 155 lbs 12% to 150lbs 7.5% in 5 weeks!!. And I never get hungry at 16 hours. Time to slow bulk/recomp back to 155. Can't wait for results.
  12. Senior Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by jkahn923 View Post
    Try putting in some high protein grains such as buckwheat (mix with lentils to make complete protein) and quinoa. I do a buckwheat (.5cup)/Lentil(.25cup)/Quinoa(.25cup) Pilaf and right there you have way over 100 carbs and more than 30 grams of quality protein. Not to mention you are getting a ton of vitamins, minerals, and more thna enough fiber. Plus its alkaline of all three will help offset those all that animal protein. I soak it the night before and it takes 10 minutes to cook up. Also try to use some Protein powders, with pea being my favorite next to hemp and rice and whey. Sprouted wheat breads have sufficient protein and so do oats. Ive got my daily protein at 225 and im only consuming 8oz of turkey breast tenders a day. Add to that 12 egg whites, hemp/pea/rice protein, cottage cheese, and protein from grains and im at 225. BTW, I love LEANGAINS and IF'ing. Went from 155 lbs 12% to 150lbs 7.5% in 5 weeks!!. And I never get hungry at 16 hours. Time to slow bulk/recomp back to 155. Can't wait for results.
    This is probably one of the best responses I've seen to a Lean Gain problem. Great Job. Repped
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. LeanGains Cycle
    By ssbackwards in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 313
    Last Post: 11-28-2011, 05:41 PM
  2. LeanGains Method - Cutting
    By rodrigues94 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-22-2011, 12:20 PM
  3. LeanGains - Fat Loss
    By JoshDP in forum Nutrition / Health