leangains - help with the macros

jack3dbear

Awards
I posted this in the discussion log but it got lost in between posts, so im making this a thread. just need some critique on my setup from experienced guys

to start, I am 6'1", 200 lbs, and ~12-13% bodyfat
I have my maintenance set at 3000 cals, and trying to do maintenance on lifting days (3 days of DC style training) and -20% on non-training days (also will throw in 30min low intensity cardio on most non-training days prior to breaking the fast)

heres my current macro breakdown:

• Training days (high carb / low fat)
o Cal Target: 3000 cal
o Protein: 250 g / 1000 cal
o Carbs: 320g / 1280 cal
o Fat: 80g / 720 cal
• Rest days (low carb / high fat)
o Cal Target: 2400 cal
o Protein: 240g / 960 cal
o Carbs: 30g / 120 cal
o Fat: 145g / 1305 cal

my priority is to drop fat, so I wanted to know if you guys think my carbs and fats are at the right amounts on both days? if you had to change up anything, what would you change?

JoshDP

Awards
I am also looking to drop fat and was suggested to keep my lifting day macros at +10% (over maintenance), and on non-lifting days -30% (below maintenance).

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
It is hard to say, because none of us know how you respond to carbs, etc.

It doesn't seem like a bad starting point that you can tweak based on your individual results. There is really a lot of options.

jack3dbear

Awards
i would say my body does not respond to carbs well at all in terms of cutting. the only way ive been able to cut in the past has been through a cyclical keto diet, so lower carbs are better for me.

colange2

Awards
If you do not respond well to carbs, then this does seem like a good plan. I would just try to keep the carb dense meals closer your workouts...you probably already know that, though...

GJN5002

Awards
I would probably bump your protein up a bit and carbs down on training days for fat loss. I'm about the same size as you and doing 100g of fat, 200g carbs, 275-300 g protein on training days.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
give it a try and see. Try it and adjust as you go

You can prolly get away with a bigger calorie deficit on rest days

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
give it a try and see. You can prolly get with a bigger calorie deficit on rest days
I would agree with this. I would take them rest days under 2k. Those are the days that burn fat, and creating a larger redecorating those days will help you a lot if cutting is your primary focus without hurting anything.

jack3dbear

Awards
diets not working with current setup. i feel need to really take the cals down on offdays and keep carbs at 200g for training days. only problem is getting 250 to 300g of protein is not cheap or easy to swallow. anyone have ideas as to get more protein dense meals without having to eat nearly 2 lbs of meat everyday?

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
diets not working with current setup. i feel need to really take the cals down on offdays and keep carbs at 200g for training days. only problem is getting 250 to 300g of protein is not cheap or easy to swallow. anyone have ideas as to get more protein dense meals without having to eat nearly 2 lbs of meat everyday?
cottage cheese is good as well as a protein shake throughout the day between meals or instead of meat.

jkahn923

Awards

Try putting in some high protein grains such as buckwheat (mix with lentils to make complete protein) and quinoa. I do a buckwheat (.5cup)/Lentil(.25cup)/Quinoa(.25cup) Pilaf and right there you have way over 100 carbs and more than 30 grams of quality protein. Not to mention you are getting a ton of vitamins, minerals, and more thna enough fiber. Plus its alkaline of all three will help offset those all that animal protein. I soak it the night before and it takes 10 minutes to cook up. Also try to use some Protein powders, with pea being my favorite next to hemp and rice and whey. Sprouted wheat breads have sufficient protein and so do oats. Ive got my daily protein at 225 and im only consuming 8oz of turkey breast tenders a day. Add to that 12 egg whites, hemp/pea/rice protein, cottage cheese, and protein from grains and im at 225. BTW, I love LEANGAINS and IF'ing. Went from 155 lbs 12% to 150lbs 7.5% in 5 weeks!!. And I never get hungry at 16 hours. Time to slow bulk/recomp back to 155. Can't wait for results.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Try putting in some high protein grains such as buckwheat (mix with lentils to make complete protein) and quinoa. I do a buckwheat (.5cup)/Lentil(.25cup)/Quinoa(.25cup) Pilaf and right there you have way over 100 carbs and more than 30 grams of quality protein. Not to mention you are getting a ton of vitamins, minerals, and more thna enough fiber. Plus its alkaline of all three will help offset those all that animal protein. I soak it the night before and it takes 10 minutes to cook up. Also try to use some Protein powders, with pea being my favorite next to hemp and rice and whey. Sprouted wheat breads have sufficient protein and so do oats. Ive got my daily protein at 225 and im only consuming 8oz of turkey breast tenders a day. Add to that 12 egg whites, hemp/pea/rice protein, cottage cheese, and protein from grains and im at 225. BTW, I love LEANGAINS and IF'ing. Went from 155 lbs 12% to 150lbs 7.5% in 5 weeks!!. And I never get hungry at 16 hours. Time to slow bulk/recomp back to 155. Can't wait for results.
This is probably one of the best responses I've seen to a Lean Gain problem. Great Job. Repped