What to Eat After Workout: The Post Workout Meal [Tips]

wolf2009

Awards
The most important thing in a post workout meal is timing of eating. Just after exercise the blood flow is still working the muscle. Now our aim is to supply the body with the required nutrients, its just like hitting the iron when its hot.

The goal is to supply the body with sources of protein and carbohydrates to begin the anabolic (repair and rebuild) and glycogen storage (refueling) phases.
  • Exercise has a catabolic effect (breaking down) on muscle tissue.
  • Protein is needed to switch from a catabolic state to an anabolic one.
  • Carbohydrates are essential to muscle recovery by replenishing glycogen stores in muscle tissue and speeding up preparation for the next bout of activity.
The Best Thing To Eat After A Workout
  • The best thing to eat after a workout is a high quality protein that can be easily digested by your body and so that it goes from catabolic to anabolic state.
  • A high quality whey protein is perfect because it fulfills all the requirements.
  • Most of the people consider the post workout meal to be the most important meal.
After an intense workout, your body is in such a state that absorbs the proteins and carbohydrates more easily.
Some people call this the ‘magic window’.
  • When you eat something with a high glycemic index, it will allow your body to replenish the glycogen reserves in your muscles. It’s like you’re refueling your muscles fast.
  • The sugar also briefly elevates your insulin levels. Insulin is a shuttling hormone that helps you store even more macro-nutrients into your body.
  • The brief insulin elevation together with your body’s natural ‘magic window’ works together with your post-workout meal to give you optimal benefits.
Post Workout Foods

Protein

Whey protein serves as the best source of amino acids for tissue repair postworkout. Whey has a 100 percent bioavailability. In other words, 100 percent of what is consumed is used. Compare that to whole-food options such as egg whites (88 percent), fish (83 percent) or chicken (79 percent), and it is easy to see why it is preferred. Furthermore, and more importantly, whey protein is digested faster than any other protein source. The goal is to maximize nutrient uptake while blood flow is enhanced.

Carbohydrates

Watermelon, bananas, raisins and potatoes are carbs that should be consumed postexercise. These foods are relatively moderate to high on the glycemic index. Their rapid digestion and absorption make them optimal for uptake into recently worked muscle tissue for the replenishing of muscle glycogen. However, they do offer nutrients the body needs, as well. After working out is the only time where it is recommended to avoid fiber, since it tends to slow down digestion, which is counterproductive to postworkout refueling.

Liquids

Water, sports drinks and 100 percent natural juices are all viable considerations for postexercise drinks. Water is essential to reinstitute the body's water balance. This can also be achieved by consuming fortified sports drinks that will not only add water back to the body but also supply carbohydrates and the electrolytes (sodium, potassium) lost during sweating. Carbs in sports drinks are proportioned to avoid overconsumption, which could lead to a delay in gastric emptying and fluid absorption.
When to Eat After A Workout
Wait 30 minutes to eat after a workout (within an hour of working out).
Your blood will be pumping to the major muscle groups that you have just been training.
Your digestive system doesn’t work optimally at this time because digestion requires your body to pump blood to your stomach.
The 30 minute break allows your body to recover.
This is also why you want a protein and carbohydrate food that is easily digested.
However, if you eat an hour after your workout, the ‘magic window’ will have closed and you will not get the full benefits of the post workout meal.

StangBanger

StangBanger

Awards
cool copy/paste Broscience...

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
They call it the magic window because it's just as real as any other magic.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
Ive heard some people even snack on a couple gummy bears after workouts to replenish glycogen what are your thoughts on this just a couple not talking a whole bag, even a college coach suggested this in a nutrition plan so does it have some merrit?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ive heard some people even snack on a couple gummy bears after workouts to replenish glycogen what are your thoughts on this just a couple not talking a whole bag, even a college coach suggested this in a nutrition plan so does it have some merrit?
Are you working out like a college football player with a 1-1.5 hour strength workout and later that same day 2-3 hours practice?

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
Are you working out like a college football player with a 1-1.5 hour strength workout and later that same day 2-3 hours practice?
No the info was actually given from a baseball coach, we do however have similiar days we usually have practice for 2-3 hours then lift for 45-60 minutes. Ive never actually tried using gummy bears or something similiar kinda seems off the radar. But i do remember hearing some bodybuilder i thought used to do it i can't remember of the top of my head but im gonna go google it.

But after putting in "Gummy Bears post workout" in google it came up with a bit of discussions and a decent amount of people use it to spike insulin immediately following a workout, maybe a handful or even a few is enough to get some benefits, Im gonna look further into it.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No the info was actually given from a baseball coach, we do however have similiar days we usually have practice for 2-3 hours then lift for 45-60 minutes. Ive never actually tried using gummy bears or something similiar kinda seems off the radar. But i do remember hearing some bodybuilder i thought used to do it i can't remember of the top of my head but im gonna go google it.

But after putting in "Gummy Bears post workout" in google it came up with a bit of discussions and a decent amount of people use it to spike insulin immediately following a workout, maybe a handful or even a few is enough to get some benefits, Im gonna look further into it.
definitely its not the worst thing if you are doing the two separate sessions, to get in some quick glycogen replenishment inbetween. But if you practice first, then do strength workout after i'm not sure its worth it to use the gummy bears after the strength workout.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Gummy bears are probably easier to get a team of athletes who (generally) don't know the first thing about nutrition to eat something with sugars right after working out. A better option would be to eat a banana or orange or handful of raisins right after a workout.

Br

Insidious1

Awards
  • Established
Here is what i have learned over the years of reading/researching.. And PLEASE correct me if i'm wrong, becuase i am always open to learning more!...

As far as post workout "meal" is concerned... i was under the impression that that was NOT the post workout shake. Given what was said above (and in accordance with more dietary literature in regard to exercise), it seems as though the BEST thing to consume post workout, it obviously a shake containing whey protein and some of the carb sources listed above. As the original poster mentioned, this will shuttle the nutrients your body needs, to the muscle to begin the recovery process...

However... this is not to be confused with your post workout MEAL. Approximately 1.5-2 hours after your post workout shake (protein/simple carbs)... its important to keep the body fueled and to have an actual "meal". By this i mean non-liquid food source. A good example would be grilled or boiled chicken breast and a medium sized sweet potato. These will continue to fuel your body's recovery for hours... something that the whey protein will not do, seeing as it is absorbed and put to use so quickly.

Now this is a diet program that i've seen work well for lean gains and "bulking" (to some extent). If you are looking to "cut up" or reduce your overall mass... than these calories may be a bit much given your daily calorie needs. Again.. i am not a nutritionist, nor am i the "expert" in any way. I am merely an avid weight lifter and nutrition guru. I get lots of my info from articles and forums such as these.... so take what i say with a grain of salt, if you find to contrary to what you already know.

Hope that helped some... take care

Cavelery

Awards
Low fat protein such as peanut butter, lean meat, poultry or fish, or boiled eggs.
Dairy like milk, yogurt and low-fat cheeses, such as cottage and natural cheeses.
This diet provide me complex carbohydrates, fiber, protein and a small amount of fat.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
I was kind of more intrigued about the idea of gummy bears having any benefit at all after a workout then actually implementing it. Basically what ive gathered is directly after +/- 5 minutes to ingest some sort of insulin spiking product weither it be dextrose in a shake or a banana or hell gummy bears, then within 30-45 minutes ingest carbs and protein basically a protein shake, and usually about 2 hours after workout is my post workout meal usually my biggest meal of the day,

lfawcett44

Awards
Low fat protein such as peanut butter, lean meat, poultry or fish, or boiled eggs.Dairy like milk, yogurt and low-fat cheeses, such as cottage and natural cheeses.This diet provide me complex carbohydrates, fiber, protein and a small amount of fat.
Isnt PB a high fat product?

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
I was kind of more intrigued about the idea of gummy bears having any benefit at all after a workout then actually implementing it. Basically what ive gathered is directly after +/- 5 minutes to ingest some sort of insulin spiking product weither it be dextrose in a shake or a banana or hell gummy bears, then within 30-45 minutes ingest carbs and protein basically a protein shake, and usually about 2 hours after workout is my post workout meal usually my biggest meal of the day,
Gummy bears is a NO NO! Just because its carbs an also 0% fat doesn't make it good. Gummy bears have Gluten and also Corn Syrup! My shake usually consists of 20oz Gatorade and 2 scoops whey protein an I throw in a scoop of L-Glutamine. I also take 500mg of Vitamin C because if you train hard and intense your immune system lowers so I always take supps for my immune system

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
Isnt PB a high fat product?
PB is high in fat and will digest slow. But sometimes it's ok after you had your shake to consume a tablespoon or 2 of PB if your a hard gainer. But like I said after you had your shake. Id say about 15mins later

StangBanger

StangBanger

Awards
PB is high in fat and will digest slow. But sometimes it's ok after you had your shake to consume a tablespoon or 2 of PB if your a hard gainer. But like I said after you had your shake. Id say about 15mins later
Ugh! No such thing as a hard gainer... if you are not gaining - you are not eating enough... period.

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
Ugh! No such thing as a hard gainer... if you are not gaining - you are not eating enough... period.
Haha you right bro. I was just trying to be nice to the skinny pricks lol. I personally never use PB post workout