treating adrenal fatigue/exhaustion

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So i think my adenals may be pretty run down from the years of preworkouts and working out.....what have you guys found to be the best way to get back to normal. I get tired alot and have had Testosterone problems. I was thinking of just doing lighter weights, higher reps for a couple weeks, or do u think i should completely stop lifting? Any suggestions are appreciated. I obv. woudl like to be able to continue lifting in order to make gains but if its better not too i will have to stop lol

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
What i do is deload 1 week after 3 weeks my lifting is intense i usally overreach by the end of 3rd week.
I'd up healthy fats for t-levels and throw in some unheathy within reason(fatty steak,cheese)had the same problems(overtrained)
If thats the case take a full week off walking ect.Eat clean recover.

As for glands i always "relied on them"i havn't used any in 2 months and train harder then i did .I still drink coffee you can to limit it to 2-3 cups and take sea salt with iodine to help glands out
If your overtrained you'll feel alittle better after a week of nothingness,if you overreached do active recovery(deload)which for me is a full body w/o done at - % on compound (deads,squats)and -60-80%on other 3x week and light cardio for 20min and foam rolling/static strecthing on other days.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wouldn't take a drastic approach to things like this based off of guesswork and intuition alone. Lethargy and low testosterone are very common and don't necessarily link in with the adrenals as the root cause.

I took time off training completely for the exact same reason and felt no better at the end of it despite extending it out to around three weeks.

Get an adrenal stress index (ASI) test. They are one of the cheaper tests you can do at home. You deposit saliva four times per day at specific times and they run DHEA and cortisol levels. You will get a much more accurate account of where you are at the moment and you will be able to work out where to go from there.

For example, you may have a higher than normal cortisol reading at the beginning of the day and lower cortisol levels at the end. You may have inverse cortisol patterns where they raise at night and are low in the morning (could be characteristic of shift workers etc) or lower than normal levels throughout the day.

You would treat each one differently hence the need for testing.

If you did have a mild form of adrenal fatigue then I would lower the volume depending on the severity.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I wouldn't take a drastic approach to things like this based off of guesswork and intuition alone. Lethargy and low testosterone are very common and don't necessarily link in with the adrenals as the root cause.

I took time off training completely for the exact same reason and felt no better at the end of it despite extending it out to around three weeks.

Get an adrenal stress index (ASI) test. They are one of the cheaper tests you can do at home. You deposit saliva four times per day at specific times and they run DHEA and cortisol levels. You will get a much more accurate account of where you are at the moment and you will be able to work out where to go from there.

For example, you may have a higher than normal cortisol reading at the beginning of the day and lower cortisol levels at the end. You may have inverse cortisol patterns where they raise at night and are low in the morning (could be characteristic of shift workers etc) or lower than normal levels throughout the day.

You would treat each one differently hence the need for testing.

If you did have a mild form of adrenal fatigue then I would lower the volume depending on the severity.
thanks alot, where would I get one of these tests?

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You'd have to either set it up with your Doc, or you can order the cortisol saliva tests online. I think Life extensions sells them. You basically take the test at home, freeze it and mail it I believe.

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
There is also "adrenal cleanse" products you could try at local health food stores.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
try canaryclub.org Most likely your cheapest for a 4x diurnal cortisol saliva test. I've used them before for this purpose and was very satisfied. Well...not so much with the results, but with the company I was satisfied :)

wildthings

wildthings

Awards
You may want to try adaptogen herbs like ashwagandha, rhodiola rosea or eleuthero. These herbs are well known for their ability to support and enhance adrenal function.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i bought sum revamp....its like reset ad i belive, u think that should help? anyone try it before? how did it work ? how did u dose it? were u still taking pre workouts/caffiene a little while using it?

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
It depends on how severe and at what stage your adrenal "fatigue" is at. If you are just overtrained a bit, or stim'd out, then yah, taking something like that will help. But if you have true adrenal fatigue/insufficiency there isn't an herb in the world that is going to help you. You'll need to get on some type of cortisol support, like HC, or cortef, or isocort works for some.

But that's the purpose of getting your cortisol levels tested, so that you know what your dealing with before choking down pill after pill trying to see what's gonna work :) I've been there before...trust me.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i jsut dont really got the money for these cortisol tests......could i just get it tested on my next blood test?

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
also, would it be bad to use a product like isocort if im not for sure that my cortisol is really high.....even though i feel it is

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Adrenaline fatigue is not high cortisol. It is when you have been through a prolonged period of high cortisol and no longer produce healthy amounts on your own.It is lower than normal output of cortisol. High cortisol is stress or the alarm phase of adrenal fatigue, it is what precedes adrenaline fatigue usually.Treating adrenal fatigue requires you raise cortisol not decrease it.