So I'm trying this "Paleo diet"

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  237 lbs.
    Answers

So I'm trying this "Paleo diet"

Ok fellaz, as many of you know I've always ranted on about being a moderate/high carb fat free diet advocate. Well, I've decided that after 2 years of eating the same stuff almost day in and day out, I'd try being open minded and switching things around. Anyways, I've been on this Paleo diet for 1 week and damn if I dont feel incredible!! Thanks so much for sharing your diet threads on this, this diet is truly the best!! I'm probably still eating a little more on the moderate carb side as I do eat 4-5 yams/day on top of all the greens, but i've also included things like cashews, almonds, and nut butters which I dont normally do. I feel fantastic, and I believe now that so many of our foods(including refined grains) are poisoning our systems. I clearly see and feel a difference after just 1 week on this diet. And my workouts are on fire, my strength last training day seemed crazy. Probably from the healthy fats I've put back into the mix, I already look harder and to my surprise even more volumized in the muscles despite slightly lower carb counts. I'm still probably hanging at 200-250 grams/day on carbs, which is low for me. But the biggest difference is the way I feel day to day. Its like a car with a perfect oil/fuel/air ratio performing at its best. Thats how I feel, and its made me realize that I used to be the car that needed the oil change, LOL. Anyways, from what I've read on this diet there really were not any set calories/macros on the diet. I am combining fats,carbs, and proteins in some of the same meals, but I figured since its a totally natural way of eating it didnt matter QUITE SO MUCH? Anyone have any insite on this for me?

2. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

It's not so much the macros that make the diet; it's the food selection. To me, as long as the foods are within the diet, the rest is just details.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Yups, Food quality over macros for paleo. I just use the paleo diet as a base food choice, then adjust the macros for my activity needs.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Answers

Always wanted to try paleo.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou321 View Post
    Always wanted to try paleo.
    Can be done easily. With any macro spread. Lean meats for protein, Coconut oil, olive oils, fattier meats for fats. For carbs you can add in fruits and potatoes. If you really want you can add in veggies for filler while on cut.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Answers

Yea i know. I usually stick to fruits, potatoes, veggies for carbs. But i find it hard to just eat tarters all the time so occasionally i have some oats or junk. But I try to stick to meats, eggs, fruits, tarters, veggies, almond butter, olive oils, coconut oils ect. Maybe if I lowered my carb count it would be easier lol
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou321 View Post
    Yea i know. I usually stick to fruits, potatoes, veggies for carbs. But i find it hard to just eat tarters all the time so occasionally i have some oats or junk. But I try to stick to meats, eggs, fruits, tarters, veggies, almond butter, olive oils, coconut oils ect. Maybe if I lowered my carb count it would be easier lol
    If you look at Kris Kresser (i'm not sure on the name, but he's called the healthy skeptic), he says that eating white rice is not bad either because the anti nutrient effect of the rice is in the bran. So if you wash your rice well and use white rice I don't see how it can be so bad to include it when you need faster carbs. he does say after a couple days of eating it though he has more gas and clanking of the joints. I can say it does add some gas and bloat, but very minimal seeing on my carb loads i've eaten around 500g carbs in just white rice... he probably advocates something like 100-200g every other day... at most....
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    4'6"  300 lbs.
    Answers

im implementing Paleo and I have to say: Dead on about the Breads/grains cut outs but the dairy? Still not convinced. I took both breads and dairy out for 2 weeks felt great. Tried adding dairy back in for 1 week (greek yogurt and fat fre milk only), skin definitely got softer a bit and endurance dropped a litte, gas definintely started up, but pumps were better, felt like I recovered faster.
    The breads I could just leave out for good.
    I miss my pastas.........im thinking 1x per month wont change anything and should give me a nice glycogen charge....
    other than that, Paleo as a shell is great...but taking away oatmeal? nooooooooooooooo waaaaaaaaay. not for more than a couple months.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Hustlers View Post
    im implementing Paleo and I have to say: Dead on about the Breads/grains cut outs but the dairy? Still not convinced. I took both breads and dairy out for 2 weeks felt great. Tried adding dairy back in for 1 week (greek yogurt and fat fre milk only), skin definitely got softer a bit and endurance dropped a litte, gas definintely started up, but pumps were better, felt like I recovered faster.
    The breads I could just leave out for good.
    I miss my pastas.........im thinking 1x per month wont change anything and should give me a nice glycogen charge....
    other than that, Paleo as a shell is great...but taking away oatmeal? nooooooooooooooo waaaaaaaaay. not for more than a couple months.
    It has something to do with the cross contamination with the oats. Not that oatmeal has gluten itself. Just that it might be contaminated. And of course... it's a grain family. It really depends on who you ask. What i'd do is make conscious diagnosis on how you feel perform. Like you did, and see if it affects you.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    4'6"  300 lbs.
    Answers

Avocado's and berries are a great source of fiber to control cholesterol and Oatmeal is great for controlling cholesterol. That is the main reason I don't like removing it from my diet. I used to east a full dry cup in 1 serving to put on size butI cut that to 1/2 and my system didnt feel so sluggish anymore.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    4'6"  300 lbs.
    Answers

hey by anychance are you taking a gluten free protein? what brand?
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Answers

Im trying to remove oats based on how acidic they are, and i digest tarters better anyways
  13. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by CoorsLight126 View Post
    Ok fellaz, as many of you know I've always ranted on about being a moderate/high carb fat free diet advocate. ....

but i've also included things like cashews, almonds, and nut butters which I dont normally do.

I feel fantastic, and I believe now that so many of our foods(including refined grains) are poisoning our systems. I clearly see and feel a difference after just 1 week on this diet. And my workouts are on fire, my strength last training day seemed crazy.
    Honestly you going from no fat to healthy fats is enough to make you feel fantastic, with or without refined grains.

And combining macros in meals makes 0 difference unless you are potentially talking about dextrose as a carb source, then it matters some. But whole foods? irrelevant how you mix + match.
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  237 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Hustlers View Post
    hey by anychance are you taking a gluten free protein? what brand?
    yea man, I take Dymatize Elite, been using it the past 3 yrs and wont switch to anything else!! Most days its just food now though, a shake is probably 2-3x/wk honestly
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  237 lbs.
    Answers

ok, well so far I'm loving this diet, but GOD DAMN IF THIS **** ISNT EXPENSIVE!!! OMG, this is the most ridiculous and expensive diet I've ever done. I'm ashamed to even tell anyone what I've spent in the past 4 days, $190- for 4 days!!! Wow, I'm either going to have to cut down on food intake or mix in a little something else. And this is trying to be conservative, this isnt going all out hog wild. Absolutely no bulking this way, I'd be double this price tag!!!
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Answers

ok, well so far I'm loving this diet, but GOD DAMN IF THIS **** ISNT EXPENSIVE!!! OMG, this is the most ridiculous and expensive diet I've ever done. I'm ashamed to even tell anyone what I've spent in the past 4 days, $190- for 4 days!!! Wow, I'm either going to have to cut down on food intake or mix in a little something else. And this is trying to be conservative, this isnt going all out hog wild. Absolutely no bulking this way, I'd be double this price tag!!!

My god dude... what are you buying differently? My bill is around $20 a day. But I eat minimal fruits, and not much veggies (I eat around 350g protein a day though in chicken breasts). I follow a more "eat fiber if you are still hungry and met your protein reqs" school.
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  237 lbs.
    Answers

Well, my family has eaten a little of my groceries too, so I cant really say its 100% accurate(I'm sorry, OUR groceries) but the bulk of it is me. The produce dept is whats getting me, LOL. Produce has gotten high as hell. Avocados are about $2 each, and I'm eating 3-4/day. Yams are a little higher than a bag of red or white potatoes as well, I eat about 4-5 yams/day. Broccoli crowns are about $3 for 3-4 crowns, I'll kill those in a day. Almonds are around $7/bag, the protien from the meats runs me about $60/wk easy. When you start adding all of this **** up I dont know man, I guess it just adds up. I could probably do it a tad cheaper if I didnt have so much variety, but its going to run me more than my usual diet, no ways around that. I guess because I'm doing paleo with still a moderate carb intake its costing me more. Switching off rice and oats is the biggie, the foods I'm substituting for those are more. Its my first week doing this diet though, I'm sure I'll find more cost effective ways as time goes on.
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Well, my family has eaten a little of my groceries too, so I cant really say its 100% accurate(I'm sorry, OUR groceries) but the bulk of it is me. The produce dept is whats getting me, LOL. Produce has gotten high as hell. Avocados are about $2 each, and I'm eating 3-4/day. Yams are a little higher than a bag of red or white potatoes as well, I eat about 4-5 yams/day. Broccoli crowns are about $3 for 3-4 crowns, I'll kill those in a day. Almonds are around $7/bag, the protien from the meats runs me about $60/wk easy. When you start adding all of this **** up I dont know man, I guess it just adds up. I could probably do it a tad cheaper if I didnt have so much variety, but its going to run me more than my usual diet, no ways around that. I guess because I'm doing paleo with still a moderate carb intake its costing me more. Switching off rice and oats is the biggie, the foods I'm substituting for those are more. Its my first week doing this diet though, I'm sure I'll find more cost effective ways as time goes on.
    ah, yes. I carb cycle so on avg it costs me around there. My weekly carb up costs as much as my protein intake for the week... My sweet potaotes are $2 each....
  19. Registered User
    Answers

Mexican and Asian markets are your friend.
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  237 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Independent View Post
    Mexican and Asian markets are your friend.
    I'll keep this in mind, thank you
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Answers

I dont find it horribly expensive. About the same or even cheaper for me lol.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-27-2009, 07:24 PM
  2. Replies: 106
    Last Post: 11-07-2008, 04:31 PM
  3. Replies: 78
    Last Post: 10-07-2008, 10:32 PM
  4. Replies: 144
    Last Post: 01-01-2008, 01:11 PM
  5. Replies: 260
    Last Post: 10-15-2007, 12:32 PM